Carollin

Do all ur foreign fiance(e)s speak good English?

67 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Taiwan
Timeline

:luv: Just curious~ Sometimes I feel shy and embarrassed when I talk to his families. I am afraid that I cant think out the right word to express my thinking or suddenly I cant understand what they talk about and cant do the right reaction. It's really my big problem.

I have no problem at all when I talk to my future husband. :thumbs:

Especially there are some topics about the culture issue, I cant handle it at all....All I can do is SMILE~~ :blush:

Somebody have the same experience?

May 12, 2006 We sent K-1 Package

May 23, 2006 We have received NOA1

June 14, 2006 Our case had been transfered to CSC

July 3, 2006 We had received for asking more evidence

July 4, 2006 We sent back right away

July 11, 2006 They had got our REF

July 12, 2006 TOUCHED

Sep 14, 2006 TOUCHED.............finally

Sep 18, 2006 Got approved.............Yes!!

Sep 28, 2006 Received NOA2

WHEN CAN I SEE MY BABY AGAIN?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Generations of immigrants have integrated themselves into our economy first and foremost by learning English. And this is even more true today when English has become the international language of technology. If you don't know English, you're out in the garden pulling weeds. Does this mean anything to Harry - or does he even understand it? I'm not sure.

It is important that you could comprehend english for it is very much important for your future process.Just be yourself and stay calm. You know you can speak much more than that. Some people in america is not as judgemental as others do.JUST STAY CALM AND BE CONFIDENT! Then every conversation you're going to have with your future in laws will be alright. They knew that you aren't speaking thier language and that English is not your native language. During your U.S. Citizenship (Naturalization) you will be tested your ability to speak, read, write and understands English and your knowledge and understanding of U.S History and government.

I am sorry I am not good at advice. But I think there is no harm when you still try and study english for your own benifit. JUST HAVE SELF-CONFIDENCE and you are FINE. My SO doesn't speak good english and she tends to be shy all the time. I kept pursuing to her to gain self-confidence and I will not stop doing it for the rest of our lives.

Edited by blackpanther

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Albania
Timeline

My husband speaks limited English, but it's improving everyday :) Don't be shy about talking to your fiance's family; my husband and parents have no problems communicating with each other and I'm sure your fiance's family doesn't think badly of you for not speaking English like a native-speaker. I think my husband's secret is that he's not shy at all, so he always tries tries tries to get his point across and understand, even if he looks/sounds silly sometimes lol, so as blankpanther suggested, just feel confident in what you already know and willing to learn more.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

7/27/2006: Arrival in NYC! -- I-94/EAD stamp in passport

8/08/2006: Applied for Social Security Card

8/18/2006: Social Security Card arrives

8/25/2006: WEDDING!

AOS...

9/11/2006: Appointment with Civil Surgeon for vaccination supplement

9/18/2006: Mailed AOS and renewal EAD applications to Chicago

10/2/2006: NOA1's for AOS and EAD applications

10/13/2006: Biometrics taken

10/14/2006: NOA -- case transferred to CSC

10/30/2006: AOS approved without interview, greencard will be sent! :)

11/04/2006: Greencard arrives in the mail! :-D

... No more USCIS for two whole years! ...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Despite her belief, Olga speaks English good but like the few others she has her moments where says something that sounds silly but in reality she is reading the work. I cannot remember the word but it ended with a silent "e" which she was pronouncing.

I imagine my reading Russian is strange to her!

I do hope everyone is patient and understanding as English is suppose to be the HARDEST language to learn.

Think of all the there/their/they're and whole holes! :lol:

K-1 timeline

05/03/06: NOA1

06/29/06: IMBRA RFE Received

07/28/06: NOA2 received in the mail!

10/06/06: Interview

02/12/07: Olga arrived

02/19/07: Marc and Olga marry

02/20/07: DISNEYLAND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AOS Timeline

03/29/07: NOA1

04/02/07: Notice of biometrics appointment

04/14/07: Biometrics appointment

07/10/07: AOS Interview - Passed.

Done with USCIS until 2009!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Just be confident and talk even if you're not sure you're saying things right. My parents met my fiance after we'd only been together about a month (they were visiting me in Brazil, etc.) and he was still shy about his English, even though it was very good. He came out to dinner with us like five times and because of his reluctance to talk I don't think he made a very good impression.

The important thing is just to keep talking and ask if you don't understand--don't just smile back.:)

Good luck!

Edited by Alex+R

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Argentina
Timeline

No, not at all. I was born and raised in South America and speak fluent Spanish, so that really helps out big time. Actually, I think it would have been harder for me to marry an American...

AOS

01-29-07 - marriage

02-07-07 - AOS package mailed to Chicago

02-09-07 - AOS package delivered

02-13-07 - NOA1 date

02-21-07 - Biometrics letter

02-24-07 - NOA1 received

03-01-07 - Biometrics taken

03-15-07 - Transferred to The Sucky/Slow Center (TSC)... to "speed up" processing.

03-17-07 - Transferred notice e-mail

03-20-07 - Received TSC transfer letter

03-21-07 - application pending at TSC e-mail.

05-14-07 - Misinfopass appt. COMPLETE WASTE OF TIME.

06-05-07 - I-131 e-filed

06-11-07 - AP NOA1

07-09-07 - Received weird looking letter for AP, but online status hasn't changed

Last Touch - AOS 3/24, AP 7/03

aW1hZ2UucGhwPzQ2JkkrY291bGQraGF2ZStnb3R0ZW4rYStEZWxsJjAwMDAwMCYwMDAwMDAmMTImMTAmYyYwJjcmMiYyMDA3JjcmMCY0Mzc4NDcwMDExODEyMjE5ODguJw==.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

I am fully fluent in English, my problem is that Luis is from Puerto Rico and there they speak spanish. I'm lucky Luis's family is fluent in english so we can still talk normally. :)

(Puerto Rico) Luis & Laura (Brazil) K1 JOURNEY
04/11/2006 - Filed I-129F.
09/29/2006 - Visa in hand!

10/15/2006 - POE San Juan
11/15/2006 - MARRIAGE

AOS JOURNEY
01/05/2007 - AOS sent to Chicago.
03/26/2007 - Green Card in hand!

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS JOURNEY
01/26/2009 - Filed I-751.
06/22/2009 - Green Card in hand!

NATURALIZATION JOURNEY
06/26/2014 - N-400 sent to Nebraska
07/02/2014 - NOA
07/24/2014 - Biometrics
10/24/2014 - Interview (approved)

01/16/2015 - Oath Ceremony

*View Complete Timeline

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Scotland
Timeline

I'm the foriegn fiancee, my English is perfect but my accent still proves a problem. :D

I still occasionally have problems when I use phrases that are perfectly acceptable in England but not understood in America. I've been known to need my fiance to translate for me and always feel very uncomfortable about that. If that happens to me and I'm from an English speaking country it can happen to anyone. Just relax and don't worry too much, we will all understand and be understood in the end.

I just tried to make a phone call for my fiancee, got a machine and was scared to leave a message as I wasn't totally sure of the accent of the woman on the machine and was afraid I would be wasting my time leaving a message that she wouldn't understand, looks like he will have to call again when he wakes up.

Edited by mmb

K-1 Visa

Event Date

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : London, United Kingdom

I-129F Sent : 2006-09-26

I-129F NOA1 : 2006-09-28

I-129F RFE(s) :

RFE Reply(s) :

I-129F NOA2 : 2006-10-18

NVC Received : 2006-10-20

NVC Left : 2006-10-23

Consulate Received :

Packet 3 Received : 2006-11-06

Packet 3 Sent : 2006-12-02

Packet 4 Received : 2006-12-07

Interview Date : 2007-01-31

Visa Received : 2007-02-03

US Entry : 2007-03-06

Marriage : 2007-03-30

Filed: Other Country: Netherlands
Timeline

My foreign fiancee' speaks English quite well. His parents insist that he doesn't speak real English, that he speaks 'American'. They have a worse time than he does, although occassionally something doesn't come across right in translation. For instance, I was telling them at one point about my pets, and said I had a 'guinea pig'. They thought I meant a pot-belly pig. My fiancee' had to explain that I meant a little fuzzy rodent.

Our K-1 Visa/AOS/RoC timeline can be found here.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Algeria
Timeline

Samir speaks very good english... as a matter of fact they were shocked when he went to the embassy for his inteview because he spoke in american english. :) his family however cant speak any english at all. Samir had to communicate with them for me .. i hated that because i just wanted to be able to sit down and talk to them. when he gets here he is going to try to teach me some arabic and french.

My foreign fiancee' speaks English quite well. His parents insist that he doesn't speak real English, that he speaks 'American'. They have a worse time than he does, although occassionally something doesn't come across right in translation. For instance, I was telling them at one point about my pets, and said I had a 'guinea pig'. They thought I meant a pot-belly pig. My fiancee' had to explain that I meant a little fuzzy rodent.

:P

glitter_maker_12_28_2006_10_08_52_29516.gif

us3.jpg

Copy_of_Algeriaflagsamir.gif

usaflagshannon.gif

Filed: Other Country: India
Timeline

Sujeet speaks very fluent English and has no troubles. But I can relate to how you are feeling, when I try to talk to Sujeet's family in India. If it's to his sisters I'm fine because they talk slower and they speak english pretty clearly. When I have talked to my father-in-law, his accent is very strong and I don't know enough hindi to speak to him in that and I panic. :innocent: I hate saying "what?" over and over because I don't want him to feel bad. I am the one who has to learn more of a new language to be able to speak to my in laws and I find it very nerve wracking if I speak to them. I applaud everyone who is fluent in more than one language. :thumbs:

Married since 9-18-04(All K1 visa & GC details in timeline.)

Ishu tum he mere Prabhu:::Jesus you are my Lord