Pegworth

Green card holders and overstays

24 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

I read this post and a response from an attorney on another forum and just copied and pasted it ... is this accurate

Question:......

Okay, this may be a stupid question, but...

I understand that previous periods of "unlawful presence" (even if unintentional) can trigger a 3 or 10 year bar to reentry to the U.S. in certain situations. But I'm not clear whether past transgressions can bar reentry of a CURRENT holder of a green card.

That is, in a situation where, PRIOR to obtaining a green card through entirely non-fraudulent means as an immediate relative, the green card holder had an "unlawful presence" of more than 6 months (and possibly a little more than 1 year), would that green card holder be subject to the 3/10 year bar to readmission to the U.S. upon leaving the country for an otherwise permitted trip? Or is the 3/10 year bar only applicable to those who have not yet obtained permanent residence status?

Thanks much for any help on this!

Answer:....

The 3 / 10 year bar is not applicable to lawful permanent residents. If an individual has an approved green card and is now a lawful permanent resident s/he will not be subject to the 3 / 10 year bar for prior overstays or period of unlawful presence before s/he got the green card.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

To me if there was a bar to reentry before they approved the GC, then the GC should had not been approved in first place.

After approving a GC if they come back and tell that ooops you had bar and you should not get GC, could be challenged and person might end up winning the case against USCIS.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Haiti
Timeline

To me if there was a bar to reentry before they approved the GC, then the GC should had not been approved in first place.

After approving a GC if they come back and tell that ooops you had bar and you should not get GC, could be challenged and person might end up winning the case against USCIS.

The GC is USCIS property, they can terminate it at anytime. Even your USC can be taken away if found that you didn't earn it the right way.

If they found out the GC shouldn't been approved, they can cancel it at anytime.

Edited by katiemanny

AOS TIMELINE

AOS package mailed on 12/16/08

AOS package delivered on 12/19/08

Check cashed on 12/26/08

NOA1 received on 12/30/08

Biometrics on 01/20/09

AOS interview on 04/30/09

EAD Card production ordered on 03/17/09

EAD Card received on 03/21/09

AOS interview APPROVED on 04/30/09

Card production ordered on 05/27/09

Welcome letter received on 06/05/09

Card production ordered again on 06/15/09

Permanent Resident Card received on 07/09/09

I-751 ROC TIMELINE

I-751 package mailed on 02/28/2011

I-751 package delivered on 03/02/2011

Check payment cashed on 03/04/2011

NOA1 received on 03/08/2011

Biometrics appointment on 04/05/2011

Card production ordered on 05/06/2011

I-751 Petition Approved on 05/06/2011

Approval letter received on 05/12/2011

Green Card finally received on 07/29/2011

Timeline

The GC is USCIS property, they can terminate it at anytime. Even your USC can be taken away if found that you didn't earn it the right way.

If they found out the GC shouldn't been approved, they can cancel it at anytime.

So does this mean all overstays are not forgiven or does a USC marriage based green card holder start with a clean slate regarding past over stays.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

Overstays are forgiven if they were known (ie you got a waiver).

If the now-greencard holder lied on his paperwork and didn't delcare the overstay, and it is later discovered, then the greencard can be taken away.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Timeline

Overstays are forgiven if they were known (ie you got a waiver).

If the now-greencard holder lied on his paperwork and didn't delcare the overstay, and it is later discovered, then the greencard can be taken away.

In what paper work do you have to declare an unknown previous over stay? I guess what they are asking is are all previous over stays known and unknown forgiven to a USC marriage based green card holder once it's been issued. It's seems they never ask if you over stayed previous to the marriage forcing one to lie or tell the truth.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Haiti
Timeline

In what paper work do you have to declare an unknown previous over stay? I guess what they are asking is are all previous over stays known and unknown forgiven to a USC marriage based green card holder once it's been issued. It's seems they never ask if you over stayed previous to the marriage forcing one to lie or tell the truth.

Again previous overstays known and unknown must be declared and are forgiven to a USC marriage based AOS, if you didn't disclose an overstay and they later find out, they can terminate your GC. Never lie to USCIS will cost you big.

They do ask on the forms about previous overstays to check yes or no, and even if they didn't ask you should let them know to be on the safe side.

Lying to these guys is misrepresentation and will cost a lifetime bar from entering the US.

Edited by katiemanny

AOS TIMELINE

AOS package mailed on 12/16/08

AOS package delivered on 12/19/08

Check cashed on 12/26/08

NOA1 received on 12/30/08

Biometrics on 01/20/09

AOS interview on 04/30/09

EAD Card production ordered on 03/17/09

EAD Card received on 03/21/09

AOS interview APPROVED on 04/30/09

Card production ordered on 05/27/09

Welcome letter received on 06/05/09

Card production ordered again on 06/15/09

Permanent Resident Card received on 07/09/09

I-751 ROC TIMELINE

I-751 package mailed on 02/28/2011

I-751 package delivered on 03/02/2011

Check payment cashed on 03/04/2011

NOA1 received on 03/08/2011

Biometrics appointment on 04/05/2011

Card production ordered on 05/06/2011

I-751 Petition Approved on 05/06/2011

Approval letter received on 05/12/2011

Green Card finally received on 07/29/2011

Timeline

Again previous overstays known and unknown must be declared and are forgiven to a USC marriage based AOS, if you didn't disclose an overstay and they later find out, they can terminate your GC. Never lie to USCIS will cost you big.

They do ask on the forms about previous overstays to check yes or no, and even if they didn't ask you should let them know to be on the safe side.

Lying to these guys is misrepresentation and will cost a lifetime bar from entering the US.

They do not ask if you have a previous unknown over stay on form I-485 or ask you to declare it. I guess that's what the poster is getting at are all over stays forgiven at that point. it's interesting none the less.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

They do not ask if you have a previous unknown over stay on form I-485 or ask you to declare it. I guess that's what the poster is getting at are all over stays forgiven at that point. it's interesting none the less.

But there are the bio forms which ask about visits to the USA, as well as residences. I suppose if the overstay was a very long time ago, it is possible it was not covered by the paperwork.

My answer remains is that if the overstay was unknown to USCIS at the time the decision to award a greencard was made, they can take the card away. Whether they do would probably depend on the individual case (ie how long the overstay was, how it was discovered, whether the greencard holder has a criminal record since becoming an LPR etc).

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: Other Timeline

If we dig deeper into this subject, we need to be precise. Neither God nor the USCIS forgives anything. Overstay and working without authorization is not being made an issue of at the AOS stage, but it's not being forgiven.

If at any time something negative surfaces, the immigrant has to face the consequences. If USCIS makes a mistake and issues a 10-year instead of a 2-year Green Card, and the resident subsequently does not file for ROC, she'll be punished for it.

Someone who overstayed for 180 days or longer, then left, triggered the bar when leaving. If this fact remains undetected, the person is still inadmissible and thus the AOS was issued based on an error. It can be revoked. A bar is not discretionary; it requires an I-601 waiver, no matter how sorry the I.O. is about this.

If they find out you smoked pot when you were 18, they still can take your Green Card away when you are 65.

If they find out that you had sex with a 16-year old when you were 20, even if that's legal in your country, same thing.

If they find out you did anything wrong, they can even undo your naturalization. Happens once in a while. An immigrant is never safe.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Filed: Other Country: Russia
Timeline

I read this post and a response from an attorney on another forum and just copied and pasted it ... is this accurate

Question:......

Okay, this may be a stupid question, but...

I understand that previous periods of "unlawful presence" (even if unintentional) can trigger a 3 or 10 year bar to reentry to the U.S. in certain situations. But I'm not clear whether past transgressions can bar reentry of a CURRENT holder of a green card.

That is, in a situation where, PRIOR to obtaining a green card through entirely non-fraudulent means as an immediate relative, the green card holder had an "unlawful presence" of more than 6 months (and possibly a little more than 1 year), would that green card holder be subject to the 3/10 year bar to readmission to the U.S. upon leaving the country for an otherwise permitted trip? Or is the 3/10 year bar only applicable to those who have not yet obtained permanent residence status?

Thanks much for any help on this!

Answer:....

The 3 / 10 year bar is not applicable to lawful permanent residents. If an individual has an approved green card and is now a lawful permanent resident s/he will not be subject to the 3 / 10 year bar for prior overstays or period of unlawful presence before s/he got the green card.

The 3/10 year bars apply to non immigrant entry. They would not apply to someone trying to enter as a permanent resident.

That's not to say the terms of the bar no longer exist, just that they don't apply to a permanent resident. If the person in question were to give up their permanent resident status, the terms of the bar could affect future entry.

People sometimes say "an overstay is forgiven" after marriage to a USC. Technically that's not correct. The overstay is not forgiven, the associated entry ban just no longer applies to a permanent resident.

Edited by Dakine10

QCjgyJZ.jpg

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Having a green card or being a permanent resident is considered a "privilege" and its not a "right".

SEP 07 2007 - Entered US w/ B2 Visa

NOV 29 2009 - Met my USC wife

OCT 14 2010 - Got married in San Diego

MAR 03 2011 - AOS package sent to USCIS

MAR 07 2011 - AOS package received by USCIS

MAR 29 2011 - Notice date for all forms

APR 01 2011 - NOA1 receipts arrived

APR 04 2011 - Biometrics appt letter arrived

APR 06 2011 - Biometrics walk-in successful

APR 29 2011 - Notice date for I-485 Initial Interview

MAY 04 2011 - Received Initial INTERVIEW LETTER!

MAY 13 2011 - Received EAD/AP card. Applied for SSN

MAY 19 2011 - Social Security card arrived

JUN 07 2011 - AOS INTERVIEW - Approved!!!!

JUN 10 2011 - Card production ordered!!

JUN 15 2011 - GREEN CARD Arrived!! :)

If they find out that you had sex with a 16-year old when you were 20, even if that's legal in your country, same thing.

Really? The same thing. I doubt that. The age of consent in the UK is 16. Are you saying that every UK immigrant that had sex at that age with someone older or vice versa is deportable?

03/09/2011 AOS Application Sent.
03/11/2011 (Day 0) Application Received
03/16/2011 (Day 7) NOA 1 (Text Email)+ (Checks Cashed)
03/19/2011 (Day 10) Hard Copy of NOA 1
03/28/2011 (Day 19) Biometrics letter 4/8/2011
04/08/2011 (Day 30) Successful Biometrics for I-765/I-485
05/13/2011 (Day 65) EAD received in the mail
05/14/2011 (Day 66) Email confirming EAD approved (Case updated online TOUCH)
05/20/2011 (Day 72) SSN In the Mail.

09/08/2011 (Day 200 ) Email notification of Interview.
10/11/2011 Interview at 26 Federal Plaza, NY!
Interviewed and Am expecting RFEs!
10/13/2011 (Day ***) Received RFE-- Requesting that I provide documentation to prove I was never married in Uk or Illin
02/11/2012 (Day ***) Service request..Told its being reviewed by supervisor

24th March 2012!!!!!!!!!!! Email notifiying me of CARD IN PRODUCTION
03/26/2012 (Day 376) Emails confirming that my I-130 and I-485 have been approved.

4/2/2012 Green Card In Hand!

Unbelievable that my journey took this long but Im thankful

Next Stop Premed...Yup!

3/24/2014 Application for conditions to be removed

9/22/2014 APPROVED without interview.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Really? The same thing. I doubt that. The age of consent in the UK is 16. Are you saying that every UK immigrant that had sex at that age with someone older or vice versa is deportable?

You're correct on this one. There are some things which are specifically defined as inadmissible crimes in the INA, such as drug use, prostitution, human trafficking, acts of terrorism, etc. For these things, it does not matter whether the acts were illegal in the jurisdiction where they occurred. For acts that might be covered by the moral turpitude clause, the act must be illegal in the jurisdiction where it occurred. The determination as to whether the act involves moral turpitude is based on prevailing moral standards of the US, though.

For what it's worth, the Adjudicators Field Manual chapter on crimes of moral turpitude has been redacted in the public version, but the Foreign Affairs Manual, chapter 40.21, is very clear on this.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

If you are married to a U.S. citizen, you shouldn't be worrying. I have overstayed for around 5 years :unsure: . when we sent our i-485 with our i-130 (approved 5 years ago, husband was an LPR then--of course it was upgraded to 'Spouse of US citizen' since he was naturalized last year), we did not get any problems. It only took roughly 5 mos from the day that we sent the forms to our interview. We had our interview last Monday , and was not asked regarding my overstay :yes: . All I'm sure is that if you have overstayed and you are married to a U.S. citizen, there shouldn't be a problem at all. :D

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.