Mal and Meg

Social security help

20 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Scotland
Timeline

Hi all im currently just filing in my SS-5 form for my social security number but i am confused by question 5?

What do i enter? I came to America on a K-1 visa so not sure what i should tick? can anyone help me out?

The options are: us citizen, legal alien allowed to work, legal alien not allowed to work, other

Please help if you know

K1 Timeline
07/01/10- K1 Mailed
07/16/10- NOA1 Hardcopy
12/15/10- NOA2 Hardcopy Received
02/16/11- Interview at 10am London Embassy
02/24/11- Visa in Hand
02/27/11- POE - Minneapolis

AOS Timeline
04/22/11- AOS, EAD, AP sent today
04/28/11- AOS, EAD, AP Notice Date
05/04/11- Hard copy of NOA1 for AOS, EAD, AP
05/12/11- Early Biometric walk in(Scheduled for 05/31/2011)
05/12/11- I-485 Case Transferred to CSC
06/13/11- AOS approved, card production ordered
06/20/11- Green Card Recieved

ROC Timeline

04/25/13- ROC package sent

04/26/13- ROC pack delivered

Hi all im currently just filing in my SS-5 form for my social security number but i am confused by question 5?

What do i enter? I came to America on a K-1 visa so not sure what i should tick? can anyone help me out?

The options are: us citizen, legal alien allowed to work, legal alien not allowed to work, other

Please help if you know

If u came here on a K1 visa then check " Legal Alien not allowed to work" since the SS card u will get will not authorize you to work yet.

And then after you adjust your status you will go back and update Social Security to that of a legal alien able to work :-)

And then after you adjust your status you will go back and update Social Security to that of a legal alien able to work :-)

Yes . Even if you don't adjust your status yet as long as you have the EAD or the employment authorization document you can legally work here.

Filed: Timeline

Please help if you know

legal alien allowed to work - if you have your employment authorization already

legal alien not allowed to work - if you haven't got the EAD yet.(depending on the state, those that doesnt have EAD will not be granted SSN)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

contrary to everyone else's statement, the correct answer is: Legal alien ALLOWED to work. With or without EAD. The K1 is work authorised for SSA purposes. It's in their rules here: http://www.fosterquan.com/content/documents/govt_websites/SSEmploymentAuthorizationNonimmigrants.pdf (sorry the SSA link isn't working but this is the same rule). Read bottom of page 5, section C where it says "1. Aliens Work Authorized Without Specific DHS Authorization" and you'll see K1 listed on page 8.

If you're worried you can wait till you get to the SSA and they'll tick that box anyway.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

contrary to everyone else's statement, the correct answer is: Legal alien ALLOWED to work. With or without EAD. The K1 is work authorised for SSA purposes. It's in their rules here: http://www.fosterquan.com/content/documents/govt_websites/SSEmploymentAuthorizationNonimmigrants.pdf (sorry the SSA link isn't working but this is the same rule). Read bottom of page 5, section C where it says "1. Aliens Work Authorized Without Specific DHS Authorization" and you'll see K1 listed on page 8.

If you're worried you can wait till you get to the SSA and they'll tick that box anyway.

That's what we selected as well. Legal alien ALLOWED to work.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-8066925138937638623#
Angels Still Don't Play This HAARP

That's true. I did check that box and she did not tell me otherwise at the SSA office.

Edited by Ronnie&Hang

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Scotland
Timeline

Thanks very much ;)

where do you find what states wont give SSN until you have EAD?

K1 Timeline
07/01/10- K1 Mailed
07/16/10- NOA1 Hardcopy
12/15/10- NOA2 Hardcopy Received
02/16/11- Interview at 10am London Embassy
02/24/11- Visa in Hand
02/27/11- POE - Minneapolis

AOS Timeline
04/22/11- AOS, EAD, AP sent today
04/28/11- AOS, EAD, AP Notice Date
05/04/11- Hard copy of NOA1 for AOS, EAD, AP
05/12/11- Early Biometric walk in(Scheduled for 05/31/2011)
05/12/11- I-485 Case Transferred to CSC
06/13/11- AOS approved, card production ordered
06/20/11- Green Card Recieved

ROC Timeline

04/25/13- ROC package sent

04/26/13- ROC pack delivered

Timeline
Thanks very much ;)

where do you find what states wont give SSN until you have EAD?

All states are SUPPOSED to give you a SSN until 2 weeks before your I-94 expires (then they won't issue it). Once you have less than 2 weeks left on the I-94 you need to wait for the EAD or GC.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

All states are SUPPOSED to give you a SSN until 2 weeks before your I-94 expires (then they won't issue it). Once you have less than 2 weeks left on the I-94 you need to wait for the EAD or GC.

Would really be interesting to see a state that wont issue a SS Card considering Social Security is FEDERAL :whistle:, but the offices diffently look at dates on I-94.

AOS:

Green Card APPROVAL for wife and stepson 02/10/2011

Revd'd Green Cards for wife and stepson today 02/19/2011

My timeline gives all the information

Got mine yesterday with no problems!

I ticked legal alien allowed to work :)

My Journey:

We met through a study-abroad program in Shanghai, China in August of 2009

We got engaged March of 2010

I received my K1 VISA in 6 months (June-December 2010)

We were married 04/02/2011
I received my conditional 2-year greencard (AOS) in 2.5 months with no interview (April-June 2011)

Our son was born 02/03/2013

I received my masters degree in Speech-Language Pathology 04/17/2013

I received my 10-year greencard (ROC) in 3 months with no interview (March-June 2013)

My husband returned from deployment 06/20/2013

My naturalization journey took 4 months (April-August 2014)

I became a US citizen on 08/01/2014

Received passport in 3 weeks (regular processing)

Thank you, VJ! smile.png

I applied for an SSN for my wife about a month after her arrival, last November, and she didn't get the number. Unfortunately, I hadn't begun using this website as a reference yet, because looking back I think if I'd tried to push it through a second time (knowing what I know now) I likely would have got the number. I'm guessing that it landed on someone's desk who didn't know what they were doing. It was explained to me by my local SSA office in such a way that made it seem like she was ineligible.

So now I'm stuck waiting for the EAD or GC, whichever comes first, before applying again.

Timeline
Would really be interesting to see a state that wont issue a SS Card considering Social Security is FEDERAL :whistle:, but the offices diffently look at dates on I-94.

It's not a state thing, it's an office thing. And it's not a state rule, it's just stupidity. SO many people have gone to SSA offices with a valid I-94 and are supposed to get a SSN but because they're married they're told their status changed to K3 and that's not SSN eligible. Others just say marriage cancels the K1, others don't realise a K1 can get a SSN. The SSA in Houston, Texas (near Spring) knows the K1 rule, but other offices don't... I just assumed the OP meant office

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.