florinaRO

I couldn't sleep because of this possible Government shutdown !

49 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Government shutdown? That's not what would happen

WASHINGTON (AP) - There's a lot of talk about a potential government shutdown if the budget impasse continues between Republicans and Democrats.

But here's the little secret. The government doesn't shut down. Not most of it, anyway.

Social Security checks would go out, and the troops would remain at post. Furloughed federal workers probably would get paid, though not until later. And virtually every essential government agency, like the FBI, the border patrol and the Coast Guard, would remain open.

Fewer than half of the 2.1 million federal workers subject to a shutdown would be forced off the job if the Obama administration followed the path taken by his predecessors. And that's not counting 600,000 Postal Service employees or 1.6 million uniformed military personnel exempt from a shutdown.

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D9LJB91O0&show_article=1

This.

The major issue most people on these forums would be concerned about regarding a shutdown is how it will affect USCIS and their processing times since most of the fine folks at USCIS who look at and are supposed to approve our paperwork are not "essential services" staff. Therefore, a shut down will cause our wait times go up even more.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Moldova
Timeline

Huh, your first post in which you are not criticizing biggrin.gif me ... Do you have a good day (NOA2)?

Huh? I was talking to Gary... I always have good days, people just need to relax a little. Too much whining these days. We're all in the same boat here.

DELETE THIS ACCOUNT!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Romania
Timeline

Huh? I was talking to Gary... I always have good days, people just need to relax a little. Too much whining these days. We're all in the same boat here.

I know you were talking with Gary , that was exactly the "point" biggrin.gif !

event.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

This.

The major issue most people on these forums would be concerned about regarding a shutdown is how it will affect USCIS and their processing times since most of the fine folks at USCIS who look at and are supposed to approve our paperwork are not "essential services" staff. Therefore, a shut down will cause our wait times go up even more.

USCIS is funded by the feews charged for their services, so we are told. If that is TRUE (I highly doubt it) they would not be affected by a budgetary shut down. If it is not true, your case will be delayed.

Those are the two options.

Choose the worst one (I'm guessing further delays would be your choice) Deal with it, adjust to it, compensate for it...if it doesn't happen you will be happy. Always try to set yourself up to be happy.

Most stress is caused by unrealistic expectations.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Good advice Gary. When we filed our K-1 there were a ton of folks caught up in a backlog generated by a law change, I could easily have feared we would meet that fate as well but the folks with enormous wait times cleared out successfully and the backlog didn't appear to have slowed us down. Our processing, which seemed long at the time was a cake walk compared to some of the folks caught in the backlog.

The wait is what it is, make the best of it! It will make the successful conclusion of the journey that much sweeter!

B and J K-1 story

• April 2004 met online
  • July 16, 2006 Met in person on her birthday in United Arab Emirates
  • August 4, 2006 sent certified mail I-129F packet Neb SC
  • August 9, 2006 NOA1
  • August 21, 2006 received NOA1 in mail
  • October 4, 5, 7, 13 & 17 2006 Touches! 50 day address change... Yes Judith is beautiful, quit staring at her passport photo and approve us!!! Shaming works! LOL
  • October 13, 2006 NOA2! November 2, 2006 NOA2? Huh? NVC already processed and sent us on to Abu Dhabi Consulate!
  • February 12, 2007 Abu Dhabi Interview SUCCESS!!! February 14 Visa in hand!
  • March 6, 2007 she is here!
  • MARCH 14, 2007 WE ARE MARRIED!!!
  • May 5, 2007 Sent AOS/EAD packet
  • May 11, 2007 NOA1 AOS/EAD
  • June 7, 2007 Biometrics appointment
  • June 8, 2007 first post biometrics touch, June 11, next touch...
  • August 1, 2007 AOS Interview! APPROVED!! EAD APPROVED TOO...
  • August 6, 2007 EAD card and Welcome Letter received!
  • August 13, 2007 GREEN CARD received!!! 375 days since mailing the I-129F!

Remove Conditions:

• May 1, 2009 first day to file
  • May 9, 2009 mailed I-751 to USCIS CS

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Wait a minute...

If the government shuts down, couldn't you just go ahead and have your SO fly over here? I mean, there wouldn't be anybody to check status, control the airplanes, nothing. The govt. would not exist anymore, right?

Yep. We only "need" the government to remove the roadblocks they put in place to begin with.

biden_pinhead.jpgspace.gifrolling-stones-american-flag-tongue.jpgspace.gifinside-geico.jpg

Timeline

Yep. We only "need" the government to remove the roadblocks they put in place to begin with.

:lol:

Gary And Alla

ha ha ha !!!!

That is very funny , you made my day !!!

A govt. shutdown would make my day.

Some folks think we need the govt. to tell them everything from how much water can be in their toilet to how they raise their kids.

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

A govt. shutdown would make my day.

Some folks think we need the govt. to tell them everything from how much water can be in their toilet to how they raise their kids.

Some people do need to be told how to raise their kids. At least be told they cannot beat the sh!t out of them. Or the kid's mother.

Other people do need to be told when they are not allowed to drive or use a gun after drinking.

Some people can't seem to control their own behavior. No government = chaos.

Power abhors a vacuum. Somebody will step in and control what is done.

I prefer that it be done democratically and with reasonable debate and deliberation to determine what will be the bounds of acceptable behavior, rights, responsibilities, etc.

I guess that makes me a liberal?

Edited by james&olya

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

if you want more government, you're a liberal. if you want less government, you're a republican. if you don't want any government, you're an extremist.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

if you want more government, you're a liberal. if you want less government, you're a republican. if you don't want any government, you're an extremist.

What if I want less government interfering with gay rights, abortion rights, and use of things like marijuana? Am I a republican? And what about more government military action around the world, like Iraq, Vietnam, etc. I suppose then I am a liberal?!

:rolleyes:

Timeline

Some people do need to be told how to raise their kids. At least be told they cannot beat the sh!t out of them. Or the kid's mother.

Other people do need to be told when they are not allowed to drive or use a gun after drinking.

Some people can't seem to control their own behavior. No government = chaos.

Power abhors a vacuum. Somebody will step in and control what is done.

I prefer that it be done democratically and with reasonable debate and deliberation to determine what will be the bounds of acceptable behavior, rights, responsibilities, etc.

Yes.

Which people need this James? Which people are not able to know right from wrong? Which people need the government to tell them these things. Why don't they know them already? Why are we teaching them NOT to need the government? Silly question, right?

People confuse "government" with just about everything, including "power" People do not need government to control power. A lack of government does not mean a "vacuum", it means the power lies with individuals. Individuals will assume the power they need to survive. People can control what is done.

I increased my income 40% in 2010 over 2009. Just Friday, I implemented changes that will bring me an extra $70 per week or so with no increase in the hours I have to work. $280 per month, $3360 per year. Big deal, right? It all adds up. How much did people dependent on government increase their income this year or this week? How big a raise did people on welfare, or people on unemployment get this week? Still waiting for Obama? Nancy Pelosi? Still complaining about gasoline prices? I raised my income enough this week to cover the cost of gas going to $5 per gallon or more. I don't complain and whine, I FIX IT myself. There is NO ONE that can benefit you and your family more than you can yourself, because only YOU have the care and concern for your family and your life. The BEST thing government can do during hard times is to say "Here is all the money you earn, we are not going to confiscate it from you, go out there and do your best for yourself...git 'er done!"

This entire recession has had nearly -0- affect on myself or my family. It isn't as though we are in ignorant bliss. It is that as things have confronted us (near total loss of my bonuses at work in 2009 and some of 2010 for example) I found a way to replace and even increase the income MYSELF.

I sold a house last year in less than 8 weeks at a profit. How? Because I didn't borrow 125% of the value and didn't have an adjustable rate mortgage. :bonk: I bought a new house for much less than I would have paid for it two years ago. I nearly doubled my income since 2008, worked less hours than 2008. Though my house payment increased somewhat, my overall cost of living is much less than two years ago. I didn't wait for Nancy Pelosi to lower gasoline prices like she said the Democrats would in 2006 ( :lol: ) I moved 40 miles closer to my office and Alla's school saving us $700 per month in gasoline. Pelosi would have had to cut gas prices to less than $1 per gallon to have that much affect. Switched from propane to natural gas heat...saved more than $150 per month. Changed from an electric co-op to a regular power company. Saved $200 per month. Can you say "cha-ching!" ??? We have nearly all new furniture since Alla arrived, and I can look around this place and see very little that was here when we moved in a year ago. Nearly every room has been remodeled/redecorated and Alla is a "household name" at the local "Lowe's" store. No cut backs here! Next is to finish off the basement and build a "nice work room" for laundry, etc and build out the room over the garage into a small "guest apartment" so to speak. Always some fun to have.

My advice to anyone waiting for Obama to tell you what to do? Stand up from your @ss and do it yourself!

Gary And Alla

Timeline

What if I want less government interfering with gay rights, abortion rights, and use of things like marijuana? Am I a republican? And what about more government military action around the world, like Iraq, Vietnam, etc. I suppose then I am a liberal?!

:rolleyes:

I want those things too. Am I a liberal? I support gay rights, I am pro-choice (on everything) and think marijauna should be legalized (though I have never used it in my life and would not if it were legal...not interested) I think the military should be scary strong but only used to defend our country from foreign threats when absolutely necessary, kind of the same philosophy to carrying a gun with me.

basically I want government OUT of our lives as much as possible. If there is no government BAN on gay marriage, there is no need for gays to get the government to remove the ban. MaWilson said it best...we only need them to remove the obstructions they put in place. Don't put them in place.

Gary And Alla