florinaRO

I couldn't sleep because of this possible Government shutdown !

49 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Romania
Timeline

I don't want to scary you but ....

I've been in this journey for long enough and the wait is killing me every day in which my NOA2 is not coming. Now when I am almost "seeing the land" I have to get used with this idea of government shutdown. Previously we discussed that visa processing shouldn't be affected because is not financed from the budget WRONG ! Even IF we get approved before the shutdown the consulates WON'T work. Here is the proof in an article from 1996:

http://www.visalaw.com/96jan/2jan96.html

If we won't get approved 'til March 4th we will end up in a dusty pile waiting until the federal employees will come back from home. EVERYBODY looses !

I use to live with my fiance, now I am apart for so long and I don't think I can handle it anymore. Should I ask my fiance to leave his career (he reached at the top now after many years of hard work) and move with me in Europe, both unemployed ? Should we broke up after after searching the whole world "the one" and finally found it, because his government shutdown ?

And about the shutdown:

http://nationaljournal.com/what-happens-if-the-government-shuts-down--20110219

WHY ?

event.png

Filed: Timeline

I don't want to scary you but ....

I've been in this journey for long enough and the wait is killing me every day in which my NOA2 is not coming. Now when I am almost "seeing the land" I have to get used with this idea of government shutdown. Previously we discussed that visa processing shouldn't be affected because is not financed from the budget WRONG ! Even IF we get approved before the shutdown the consulates WON'T work. Here is the proof in an article from 1996:

http://www.visalaw.com/96jan/2jan96.html

If we won't get approved 'til March 4th we will end up in a dusty pile waiting until the federal employees will come back from home. EVERYBODY looses !

I use to live with my fiance, now I am apart for so long and I don't think I can handle it anymore. Should I ask my fiance to leave his career (he reached at the top now after many years of hard work) and move with me in Europe, both unemployed ? Should we broke up after after searching the whole world "the one" and finally found it, because his government shutdown ?

And about the shutdown:

http://nationaljournal.com/what-happens-if-the-government-shuts-down--20110219

WHY ?

it will not happen. wake up we are in 21st century. world has changed a lot since 1996.

raj1975: I hope you're right. You know sometimes history repeats itself. Let's cross our fingers and for the best.

Immigration Guide Based on my Personal Experience: https://www.facebook.com/ahappyeverafterjourney

Might the government shut down for a day or two; yes, but the US govt will NEVER shut down for a definite period of time. All aspects of everything related to day to day survival depends on the US government. So stop the scare tactics, they will do no one any good.

Timeline

Might the government shut down for a day or two; yes, but the US govt will NEVER shut down for a definite period of time. All aspects of everything related to day to day survival depends on the US government. So stop the scare tactics, they will do no one any good.

I don't want to scary anybody. I am realistic. Last time they have shutdown 28 days.

event.png

That is incorrect, they had a 4 day shut down.

Here are the facts http://voices.washingtonpost.com/federal-eye/2011/02/government_shutdown_facts_and.html The longest was 21 days,

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Israel
Timeline

Yes, 21 days the last time. It could happen, and it could happen for longer too. Remember how we all thought "oh, it won't take more than 5 months to get our NOA2 unless we do something really wrong"? And, well, here we are. I have lost all faith in the "normal" process. Things aren't normal around here right now. I also couldn't sleep last night. I am being a total pessimist, but since the day I hit 5 months, I have been a different person. But optimistic opinions are very welcome!!

09/02/10 Mailed I-129F

09/07/10 NOA1

03/17/11 NOA2 approved

06/06/11 Interview. Visa approved. Told we'll get visa in 7-10 days. Lies.

07/12/11 Visa in hand

07/15/11 Arrival in the U.S.

07/21/11 Marriage

07/28/11 Mailed I-485

08/03/11 NOA for I-485

08/29/11 Biometrics

10/17/11 Greencard interview. Approved.

Timeline

That is actually the problem ... I lost my hopes after I reached 5 months and after the congressman and my lawyer couldn't do anything . But I will try to find more optimistic stuff , this panic don't help , true .

event.png

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I don't think panicking will do any of us any good and especially not losing sleep over this. Things will pan out as they must, and frankly I doubt there will be a shutdown. Last time this happened there was huge backlash from the public that another shutdown won't bode well for whoever happens to take the fall for it. At this point, to me, blame for a shutdown could go either way and no one wants to take the fall for that. Everyone knows the backlash could destroy their careers, even Boehner knows that, so they are probably going to avoid it as much as possible.

Reuters explains what this is all about:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/02/21/us-usa-budget-idUSTRE71G6CQ20110221?pageNumber=1

And for relevance, here's a handy and easy to interpret chart on what Obama's 2012 Budget Proposal should look like if you were curious (Look in Homeland Security for Citizenship and Immigration squares):

http://www.nytimes.com/packages/html/newsgraphics/2011/0119-budget/index.html?hp

Edited by Piefre

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

You mean the shutdown hasn't happened yet? :o

You would never know it by the lack of activity at the Vermont Disservice Center.

It looks to me like they abandoned that place 5 months ago. :yes:

And 5 months ago was the last time I had a good night's sleep anyway.

Edited by Al422

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Moldova
Timeline

Do people only read and post things to stir up the hive? President Obama has already officially stated that he will veto this proposal that would in fact cause the shutdown. Therefor... no shutdown.

DELETE THIS ACCOUNT!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

How can a veto by Obama stop the shutdown? It requires a budget passed by both chambers and signed by Obama to stop it.

Do people only read and post things to stir up the hive? President Obama has already officially stated that he will veto this proposal that would in fact cause the shutdown. Therefor... no shutdown.

You are exactly wrong.

A shutdown would occur if there were no budget passed. Obama is saying he will veto the budget that is proposed from the House; therefore resulting in a shutdown. Of course, we're not at that point now, but it won't hurt for people to pay attention to what's going on.