DianaGC

Getting a green card Military Spouse

22 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Mexico
Timeline

My husband and I got married on el Paso Texas on May 27th 2010, i went back to mexico to prepare our religious ceremony (Agust 2010). I came to the US on a tourist visa on Oct 2010. Can we still file for an status adjustment (green card)? He is in the military and the person of USCIS on the base told us to file the package and I'd get it in 90 days, he never warned us of our petition gettin rejected or telling us we can not do that cause i came as a visitor, but i have been researching and lot of websites says that if we attempt that they might rejected it and will cancel my tourist visa and have a penalty of not being allowed to enter to the States. Is this true? We are planning to file the petition next week since my I94 expires in March. I got pregnant in November and we want our baby to be born here :( . Please help. :help: Thanks!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Well your not here on a family based visa, so this post needs to be moved. You entered on a tourist visa.

There is no USCIS on base, its a military immigration help center and they don't always have the facts correct. Being married to military wont make a difference on the AOS application, it will be treated as any other persons application for AOS.

You need to be able to prove that you did not enter as a tourist with intent to immigrate.

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

El Paso is a US Territory, still - what visa did you use to enter into El Paso for the 27 MAY 2010 wedding?

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

El Paso is a US Territory, still - what visa did you use to enter into El Paso for the 27 MAY 2010 wedding?

Huh? El Paso is a city in Texas, just across the border from Juarez! :blink:

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Timeline

We went to the City Hall and they told us we just needed my passport and Birth Certificate. I entered with my B1/B2 visa, since they told us K1 was not needed to get married there since I was not staying after the ceremony and I was going back to Mexico.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

ok - thanks for the clarification.

ONE PATH available to you - to chase after a CR-1 visa - is to file the I-130 (solely) into USCIS, request an expedite in a cover letter.

Then expect to go back to Mexico prior to your I-94 expiring, then come back on the same B-2, later, to wait out the process.

At some point, will have NVC processing, should get lucky, have Mexico Electronic Processing for CJ, then

you'll have to get medical exam and interview in Cuidad Juarez.

--

another path, that I do not advise (others might) - is to stay in USA, file the big AOS package (see the guides for the list o documents) - but there are dangers there - you came INTO El Paso to get married, so you may or may not have a problem with showing immigrant intent along the process. Hard to say, if I were in yer shoes I'd not make the attempt for AOS. You did go back to Mexico after the marriage, so that's a plus in your favour.

Edited by Darnell

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Timeline

Im 4 months pregnant, I got pregnant 3 weeks after I got here in Oct (we didn't plan it, it just happened). My husband and I want the baby to be born here. If I go back to MExico we won't be allowed to go down there since my hometown is on the "Out of Limits" list on (Prohibited Places) the Army and he'd miss watching our baby being born (due on July 25th)and right after that he would be deploy to Iraq (August). I dont wanna go back to my hometown cause it is really violent and dangerous to live there, lot of drug and cartel problems. We were planning on file the petition but now that I have been reading all this im really worried, I dont wanna put my baby through any type of stressful, dangerous situation.. :(

My bad: I misspelled: If I go back to Mexico HE wont be allowed to go there...

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

***** Moving to AOS from Tourist visas as that is how the OP came in on *****

Him being deployed in August, you could ask for an expedite if you decide to go back home and file for a CR-1. I think you have a chance at AOS, but you'll need to prove you didn't intend to immigrate when you lastr came over, which may be difficult.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I have never seen a report from anybody who was asked to prove they did not have immigrant intent.

It seems that even a comment or remark is unusual.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Expedite!!!

Worked for us for k1, hoping to have the same results for AOS because he is deploying end of this year.. \

Hopefully you get it sorted out soon! Congrats on the baby and I wish you all the best!!! :D

My Journey:

We met through a study-abroad program in Shanghai, China in August of 2009

We got engaged March of 2010

I received my K1 VISA in 6 months (June-December 2010)

We were married 04/02/2011
I received my conditional 2-year greencard (AOS) in 2.5 months with no interview (April-June 2011)

Our son was born 02/03/2013

I received my masters degree in Speech-Language Pathology 04/17/2013

I received my 10-year greencard (ROC) in 3 months with no interview (March-June 2013)

My husband returned from deployment 06/20/2013

My naturalization journey took 4 months (April-August 2014)

I became a US citizen on 08/01/2014

Received passport in 3 weeks (regular processing)

Thank you, VJ! smile.png

I think you should AOS. I don't know if you were planning to immigrate on your tourist visa (I hope not), but your circumstances changed with the pregnancy (which happened while in US).

Intent itself is not used alone to deny a AOS application. The only thing you should make sure of is that you did not lie at the border (never lie).

Good luck.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

I have never seen a report from anybody who was asked to prove they did not have immigrant intent.

It seems that even a comment or remark is unusual.

I have, but for friends who came on the VWP.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

I remember reading another a post about babies being born to an American parent abroad I think the child will automatically get US citizenship. I'm not

%100 sure so you should check it out. Perhaps some one else here could share their experience of a child being born to a US citizen abroad. If I'm right though it will take the pressure off as to where you give birth during the immigration process. I'm sure being pregnant is enough to worry about at the moment. Good luck.

My husband and I got married on el Paso Texas on May 27th 2010, i went back to mexico to prepare our religious ceremony (Agust 2010). I came to the US on a tourist visa on Oct 2010. Can we still file for an status adjustment (green card)? He is in the military and the person of USCIS on the base told us to file the package and I'd get it in 90 days, he never warned us of our petition gettin rejected or telling us we can not do that cause i came as a visitor, but i have been researching and lot of websites says that if we attempt that they might rejected it and will cancel my tourist visa and have a penalty of not being allowed to enter to the States. Is this true? We are planning to file the petition next week since my I94 expires in March. I got pregnant in November and we want our baby to be born here :( . Please help. :help: Thanks!!

I agree with Harpah. Your situation did change. You got pregnant! Congratulations on the pregnancy too.

You should file within the US. You may be able to expedite the AOS whilst in the US because of your husbands imminent deployment if it does seem to be taking a long time.

Will you go with him when he gets his orders? (Assuming that he is going to somewhere that you can go with him too?)

03/09/2011 AOS Application Sent.
03/11/2011 (Day 0) Application Received
03/16/2011 (Day 7) NOA 1 (Text Email)+ (Checks Cashed)
03/19/2011 (Day 10) Hard Copy of NOA 1
03/28/2011 (Day 19) Biometrics letter 4/8/2011
04/08/2011 (Day 30) Successful Biometrics for I-765/I-485
05/13/2011 (Day 65) EAD received in the mail
05/14/2011 (Day 66) Email confirming EAD approved (Case updated online TOUCH)
05/20/2011 (Day 72) SSN In the Mail.

09/08/2011 (Day 200 ) Email notification of Interview.
10/11/2011 Interview at 26 Federal Plaza, NY!
Interviewed and Am expecting RFEs!
10/13/2011 (Day ***) Received RFE-- Requesting that I provide documentation to prove I was never married in Uk or Illin
02/11/2012 (Day ***) Service request..Told its being reviewed by supervisor

24th March 2012!!!!!!!!!!! Email notifiying me of CARD IN PRODUCTION
03/26/2012 (Day 376) Emails confirming that my I-130 and I-485 have been approved.

4/2/2012 Green Card In Hand!

Unbelievable that my journey took this long but Im thankful

Next Stop Premed...Yup!

3/24/2014 Application for conditions to be removed

9/22/2014 APPROVED without interview.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I agree with Harpah. Your situation did change. You got pregnant! Congratulations on the pregnancy too.

You should file within the US. You may be able to expedite the AOS whilst in the US because of your husbands imminent deployment if it does seem to be taking a long time.

Will you go with him when he gets his orders? (Assuming that he is going to somewhere that you can go with him too?)

Family are generally not put on Iraq deployment orders. OP said that he will be going to Iraq.

I remember reading another a post about babies being born to an American parent abroad I think the child will automatically get US citizenship.

They do not get it "automatically" they are US citizens but the father has to sign the birth certificate be there for the birth and apply for a CRBA and US passport at the US consul in the country the baby is born at. Since the OP said her husband cannot go to where she lives that does not really work.

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.