Captain Ewok

Moderation Feedback

52 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Singapore
Timeline

In place of several threads, please continue here if you have feedback or any other suggestions. Thank you!

I am an Ewok. I am here to to keep the peace. Please contact me if you have a problem with the site or a complaint regarding a violation of the Terms of Service. For the fastest response please use the 'Contact Us' page to contact me.

Timeline

As a note, comments should be constructive and hopefully be something we can use to improve the moderation system and policies.

I am an Ewok. I am here to to keep the peace. Please contact me if you have a problem with the site or a complaint regarding a violation of the Terms of Service. For the fastest response please use the 'Contact Us' page to contact me.

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Ewok, I was wondering if you could explain why it is that moderators don't actually call out people for their infractions? We're all adults here, I think we could handle a mod saying something like "Personal attack by _______________, you have received a 3 day suspension for saying _________________________________". This would at least clear up the perception of moderators condoning some actions with their inaction.

Timeline

That is a fair request, as often actions taken are not observed globally (per my request). A few reasons why over time we have become this way:

-- Suspensions or other actions alone can be effective, however a public flogging can have unpredictable side effects.

-- In many cases moderation action against a member involves private conversation between mods and the member. The final decision and conversations are private.

-- Mod actions should not be something that creates public debate (on a one by one level and generally speaking). Mistakes can be made, yes, but I am speaking about people jumping on a bandwagon thumping a suspended member or similar things that may occur. If every action made required public consensus I doubt much would get done.

I can see the potential for a blank statement to be made in some circumstances ("posts removed", "moderation action on applicable TOS offenses").

Possibly, if people were called out on their infractions "XXX has been suspended for Y days because of Post ZZZ" we would all learn from it. I dislike hiding perceived infractions because they help establish limits. If applied consistently.

Post on Adjudicators's Field Manual re: AOS and Intent: My link
Wedding Date: 06/14/2009
POE at Pearson Airport - for a visit, did not intend to stay - 10/09/2009
Found VisaJourney and created an account - 10/19/2009

I-130 (approved as part of the CR-1 process):
Sent 10/01/2009
NOA1 10/07/2009
NOA2 02/10/2010

AOS:
NOA 05/14/2010
Interview - approved! 07/29/10 need to send in completed I-693 (doctor missed answering a couple of questions) - sent back same day
Green card received 08/20/10

ROC:
Sent 06/01/2012
Approved 02/27/2013

Green card received 05/08/2013

Filed: Timeline

There was a PM thread not long ago, which consisted of you (Capt Ewok), a member of your moderation team (full mod, not deputy) and I.

The mod wrote a message, addressed directly to you, and you didn't even bother to read it until over two weeks later when I called you out on the open forum about it.

My feedback is this: give your mods the respect you clearly refuse to give certain posters. If you give the impression you are apathetic about this site and it's social dynamics, then your mods will be arbitrary and capricious and act through their personal biases (as they do now).

Sorry, I know you wanted mod feedback but it's you who needs the feedback.

Timeline

Fair enough on missing posts. There are quite a few topics that get lengthy and on some I do post a reply. I rely on a "reply" notice (email) in many cases to monitor replies to things I say. There are certainly occasions where I miss items directed to me. Given the role of the mods, we have a dedicated thread that they post things to me in (on issues they raise). Clearly this mod / admin topic is hidden. I track that every time I am online and attempt to address new items they raise as fast as possible.

Timeline

I see above you were referring to a PM not a topic. On that PM I thought the issue was closed but the conversation had continued with you and the Mod. A downside to the PM system is the lack of tracking and notice on multi user PM's when a message is awaiting a reply to a specific member. I am in the process as I type this for moderators to alert me to things just like this so I can track them and address them faster. The mod/admin thread is ok but does not allow more time sensitive items to be tracked until completion. I am trying to fix that and also create something that I know "I" can use best (knowing my schedule and habits) so I can improve my responses. You are certainly right on follow up and I want to improve this (on my side).

Filed: Country: England
Timeline

-- Mod actions should not be something that creates public debate (on a one by one level and generally speaking). Mistakes can be made, yes, but I am speaking about people jumping on a bandwagon thumping a suspended member or similar things that may occur. If every action made required public consensus I doubt much would get done.

Like it or not, Mod actions do create public debate. If they didn't, you wouldn't have started this thread.

The difference made by having a specific poster and punishment identified is that you do away with the conjecture and speculation about who actually did what and the consequences meted out to them. I see a lot of speculation about why people are missing from the forums, whether they were actually banned or just left for a few days to cool off and what they actually did. Unless, of course, that is exactly what you want people to do. :ph34r:

Posting the offence, the offender and the consequences will do two things. First, everyone (who cares) will see that action was taken for an offence committed. Second, everyone (who cares) will have a yardstick by which to assess the consistency of the moderation. Both have been consistently questioned in this forum and it making things open like this might go some way to answering the criticisms that have been levelled at the moderation team.

Don't interrupt me when I'm talking to myself

2011-11-15.garfield.png

I see above you were referring to a PM not a topic. On that PM I thought the issue was closed but the conversation had continued with you and the Mod.

You thought the issue was closed even though there were unread messages from a member of your mod team? Way to show your people support.

A downside to the PM system is the lack of tracking and notice on multi user PM's when a message is awaiting a reply to a specific member.

Yes, but if you're made part of a PM thread by a mod (which you were), you owe it to him or her to read any unread messages from him or her. Assuming an issue is closed while unread messages pile up smacks of either hubris or apathy. My bets on apathy.

Timeline

I am trying to create a better way to track these things. As it is I get about 30 PMs a day and it fills my box up fast. Not an excuse to miss things though. What I would like to do if possible is to find a way to track things better. I am open to ideas but right now I check the mod forum topic for any specific questions (or items that need my attention) from the mods. Clearly some room to improve this. I just implemented an upgrade tonight to help and I am expanding this. It will allow the mods to more easily alert me to items needing attention and to track that I have addressed them (and if not see exactly how old the issue is so it wont sit there).

I guess what I am saying is, "message received and I am working on it as we speak and will get feedback from the mods if it works".

I am trying to create a better way to track these things. As it is I get about 30 PMs a day and it fills my box up fast. Not an excuse to miss things though. What I would like to do if possible is to find a way to track things better. I am open to ideas but right now I check the mod forum topic for any specific questions (or items that need my attention) from the mods. Clearly some room to improve this. I just implemented an upgrade tonight to help and I am expanding this. It will allow the mods to more easily alert me to items needing attention and to track that I have addressed them (and if not see exactly how old the issue is so it wont sit there).

I guess what I am saying is, "message received and I am working on it as we speak and will get feedback from the mods if it works".

FWIW I don't mean to pile on like this; I am just very pissed off about how some of your mods acted and was even more annoyed by what seemed to me your disconnectedness when one of your mods seemed receptive to my point of view. In the larger picture though I really like your site and that's why I hang out here so much. So you know, thanks - that's the bigger picture and I don't want my distaste over this stuff overshadow my appreciation for what you've done with this site.

Timeline

No worries. I appreciate feedback even when it is tough love! I want to always improve and where I fall short at times I do not mind admitting. I am trying to remedy this area :).

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Possibly, if people were called out on their infractions "XXX has been suspended for Y days because of Post ZZZ" we would all learn from it. I dislike hiding perceived infractions because they help establish limits. If applied consistently.

By calling attention to the offending material you only give it more hits giving the offending poster the effect they wanted, and sometimes the offending material is deleted so there is no learning to be had.

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.