Captain Ewok

Moderation Feedback

52 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

That is a fair request, as often actions taken are not observed globally (per my request). A few reasons why over time we have become this way:

-- Suspensions or other actions alone can be effective, however a public flogging can have unpredictable side effects.

A private one has worse effects imo.

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

It would be awesome to see the juicy stuff so we can gossip even more. Sometimes it is best though to just gossip and let our imaginations run wild and not know the real info.good.gif

The purpose of this thread is to actually be constructive. If you are unable to contribute on the topic at hand, please refrain.

A private one has worse effects imo.

A private one gives life to rumors and conjecture, such as the multiple threads in this forum that have been closed.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

For information purposes, the threads in this forum that were recently closed by Captain Ewok were all discussing various moderation concerns. Instead of scattering the concerns and discussion over a variety of threads he wished to concentrate the discussion here in one thread so as to have the issues presented in one location and make it easier to address and hopefully, resolve, thus he closed the other threads and opened this one with the request to focus the discussion here.

One additional thread discussing moderator concerns was also closed at the request of the Original Poster.

Hopefully this helps put to rest any rumours or conjectures :)

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Timeline

For information purposes, the threads in this forum that were recently closed by Captain Ewok were all discussing various moderation concerns. Instead of scattering the concerns and discussion over a variety of threads he wished to concentrate the discussion here in one thread so as to have the issues presented in one location and make it easier to address and hopefully, resolve, thus he closed the other threads and opened this one with the request to focus the discussion here.

One additional thread discussing moderator concerns was also closed at the request of the Original Poster.

Hopefully this helps put to rest any rumours or conjectures :)

No Kathryn, it actually doesn't. The rumors and conjecture are about when you leave those vague messages that "administrative action has been taken". The now closed threads were started because of the cloak-and-dagger moderating style on this site. It is virtually impossible to discern what is acceptable and what is not from the moderators and the TOS. The TOS is vague and if you really wanted to be pedantic, you could undoubtedly find some cause for suspensions or warnings in 90% of the posts in the politics and religion forum. I do see discretion from most moderators, but there is no consistency and even worse, there is nothing made public to gauge what is the norm.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

1. A thought for general consideration: Official replies to "regular" members might be delayed because the Moderators and the Admiral first need to caucus, and everyone is on a different schedule (or time zone).

2. In regard to publicizing suspensions, penalties, etc.: Rather than full advertisement of offending threads/posts, a link (perhaps discreetly entitled "Administrative") could be placed on the sidebar of the main Forums. Clicking on the link would lead to a few simple categories:

Thread Ban

Member X - P&R forum

Member Y - OT forum (2) & CR-1/IR-1 forum

Member Z - Effects forum

Suspension

Member A - use of language (through 1/2/11)

Member B - advertising (through 1/29/11)

Account Closed

Member K - administrative

Member L - member request

Member M - spamming

Suspension/Thread Ban Lifted after Review

Member N

No further detail need be publicized, because people who care about such things would be able to figure out which "lines of propriety" were crossed or would know "why" already. On the other side, the private details or "dirty laundry" surrounding the moderation or administrative action could reasonably and appropriately be kept private.

3. Additional idea: This same "Administrative" link could also contain the titles of threads that were deleted from forums or were made invisible, and the reason therefor (TOS violations, request of OP, other). It truly is frustrating to read a thread with interest in the morning only to return in the evening and be clueless as to what happened to that thread.

Thoughts?

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
Unless the offending text has already been deleted, in which case we're back to the usual rumors.
True, yet surely there's a way to overcome this challenge.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Hello Captain Ewok, Do you run this site? If so , its really simple what should be done. Anyone that is being racist, hateful, or more should be banned without warning. Any mods that people are having trouble with should lose mod privilege.

Religious, political, and racial information, and images should be banned from Avatars and Signatures.

With all the hate going on, on this website people will leave. In fact, just get rid of the Politics and Religion subforums , that would solve a lot of problems. People can go else where to discuss it, no need for it to be on a visa website to start with

07-24-2009 Received NOA1
08-05-2009 Touched
10-02-2009 I-797C for Biometrics Appt
10-26-2009 Biometrics Appt. Completed
05-11-2010 Request for Evidence on both the I129F and I130
07-01-2010 Case Transferred to Vermont Service Center
10-20-2011 Contacted Ombudsman
02-07-2012 Case denied after almost 3 years =(
03-07-2012 Appeal Filed!
01-20-2013 Contacted Ombudsman again...

06-25-2013 EOIR Appeal Review

Visit my blog at http://goo.gl/ON4wG/

atckcgod5n.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Hello Captain Ewok, Do you run this site? If so , its really simple what should be done. Anyone that is being racist, hateful, or more should be banned without warning. Any mods that people are having trouble with should lose mod privilege.

Religious, political, and racial information, and images should be banned from Avatars and Signatures.

With all the hate going on, on this website people will leave. In fact, just get rid of the Politics and Religion subforums , that would solve a lot of problems. People can go else where to discuss it, no need for it to be on a visa website to start with

Glad you think it's all so simple. I'm not deleting my FDR sig just coz u say so. I'm rather fond of it.

I guess that explains why we debate these things over and over again, since not everyone agrees it's so simple.

As to moderation, and banning, and suspending, and all that other nanny ####### that goes on here, I think it's plain awful.

What bugs me most of all are the post deletions. How Orwellian can you get? Like, by your rewriting the history of a thread we're supposed to pretend that what was said can be unsaid? Just who do you think you're fooling by that? How old do you think we are that you can play peekaboo now-you-see-it-now-you-don't. How childish of you.

It's also ridiculous how inconsistently it's applied. I've seen post deletions for TOS violations, and seen other posts stand despite being far more outrageous. What purpose does the deletion possibly serve? As one who's been on the receiving end of some of these personal insult TOS violations, both the deleted and undeleted variety, I'd much rather the latter. Let people stand by their words and keep the historical record intact.

It's the Internet, forchrissakes. If people are going to take offense to ####### said on an anonymous website, they need to either grow a pair and deal, or go play somewhere else. I have a simple but effective way of dealing with the people here that I don't like and don't want to interact with. I IGNORE them. I don't report them, don't complain to the mods, don't PM Ewok or anyone. I just IGNORE them. There are people on here I like hanging out with, so I talk to them and IGNORE the rest. It's really not that hard, and doesn't require any mods, post deletions, or other #######. Try it.

Glad you think it's all so simple. I'm not deleting my FDR sig just coz u say so. I'm rather fond of it.

I guess that explains why we debate these things over and over again, since not everyone agrees it's so simple.

As to moderation, and banning, and suspending, and all that other nanny ####### that goes on here, I think it's plain awful.

What bugs me most of all are the post deletions. How Orwellian can you get? Like, by your rewriting the history of a thread we're supposed to pretend that what was said can be unsaid? Just who do you think you're fooling by that? How old do you think we are that you can play peekaboo now-you-see-it-now-you-don't. How childish of you.

It's also ridiculous how inconsistently it's applied. I've seen post deletions for TOS violations, and seen other posts stand despite being far more outrageous. What purpose does the deletion possibly serve? As one who's been on the receiving end of some of these personal insult TOS violations, both the deleted and undeleted variety, I'd much rather the latter. Let people stand by their words and keep the historical record intact.

It's the Internet, forchrissakes. If people are going to take offense to ####### said on an anonymous website, they need to either grow a pair and deal, or go play somewhere else. I have a simple but effective way of dealing with the people here that I don't like and don't want to interact with. I IGNORE them. I don't report them, don't complain to the mods, don't PM Ewok or anyone. I just IGNORE them. There are people on here I like hanging out with, so I talk to them and IGNORE the rest. It's really not that hard, and doesn't require any mods, post deletions, or other #######. Try it.

Its very simple, politics, religion ,race issues and offensive images have no place here . This is not 4chan , the owner should spilt visajourney up , make a new domain and put everyone with religious , politics, and race issues on a different forum. And they can argue with themselves.

Its not 4chan here, Its not a political web forum, or a religious forum. Its not "politicaljourney.com" or "religionjourney.com" its visa journey, it should be about visas only and everything else should be blacklisted

07-24-2009 Received NOA1
08-05-2009 Touched
10-02-2009 I-797C for Biometrics Appt
10-26-2009 Biometrics Appt. Completed
05-11-2010 Request for Evidence on both the I129F and I130
07-01-2010 Case Transferred to Vermont Service Center
10-20-2011 Contacted Ombudsman
02-07-2012 Case denied after almost 3 years =(
03-07-2012 Appeal Filed!
01-20-2013 Contacted Ombudsman again...

06-25-2013 EOIR Appeal Review

Visit my blog at http://goo.gl/ON4wG/

atckcgod5n.png

Timeline

there are people who have been on this site for years and have formed "friendships" with people here so they like to discuss stuff other then just visas.. that is what Off Topic and the P&R boards are for...

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Its very simple, politics, religion ,race issues and offensive images have no place here . This is not 4chan , the owner should spilt visajourney up , make a new domain and put everyone with religious , politics, and race issues on a different forum. And they can argue with themselves.

Its not 4chan here, Its not a political web forum, or a religious forum. Its not "politicaljourney.com" or "religionjourney.com" its visa journey, it should be about visas only and everything else should be blacklisted

Who made you boss? :unsure:

OT existed here in its present form long before you (or I) showed up. For whatever reason, those who run this site think it is consistent with the site's purpose. Besides this thread is not about should OT exist, but about "Moderation Feedback".