mamaronga

Subsidized Health Insurance while Permanent Resident under Conditions?

14 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Hello!

My husband is currently a Permanent Resident with Conditions (we will be up for lifting Conditions in a little over 2 years). Our jobs do not offer us health care and we cannot afford private health care packages. However, we understand that the Affidavit of Support that was signed by myself and my co-sponsor means my spouse cannot receive medicaid or another federal subsidized health insurance, except for Emergency Medicaid. But what about state-subsidized health insurance? Could my spouse as a Permanent Resident be eligible for that? Has anyone in this forum ever been on state-subsidized health insurance while being a Permanent Resident and having a sponsor from the AOS application process?

How are other folks dealing with health insurance? Has anyone who has a AOS sponsor been able to be eligible for any state subsidized health insurance programs? If not, how have you been able to protect your sponsors for the AOS from the Government if you *cannot* afford private health insurance, and health costs arose that you could not afford?

I would love any advice or experiences possible. It feels very frustrating that there seem to be no health care options what-so-ever available to my spouse, just because he is a permanent resident--and yet, we cannot afford health insurance.

Thanks!

Dec. 15, 2008- I-129F mailed in

Dec. 18, 2008- Received by VSC

Dec. 18, 2008- NOA1 issued by VSC

Dec. 23, 3008- Touched

Dec. 24, 2008- NOA1 received in mail

Apr. 9, 2009- NOA2 issued by VSC

Jan. 1, 2009- Fiances re-united! :)

.... (need to find data)

Aug. 17, 2009 POE in Miami

Oct. 30, 2009 Submitted AOS

Dec. 18, 2009 Email about approval of Advance Parole and issuance of EAD

Jan. 14, 2010 AOS interview and approval

Jan. 21, 2010 (approximately!) Green Card received in the mail

Filed: Other Timeline

As someone who has been dumped by his health insurance company and was quoted $1,200 per month by Blue Shield, I follow the advice of the Republican Party: don't get sick.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Actually, many permanent residents are eligible for Medicare. Unless it's for long term or institutional care, it wouldn't make them a "public charge", and they wouldn't be deported for it.

He may actually be eligible for a state subsidized health insurance plan. That's not the point. If he actually collects any means tested benefits then the state can make you reimburse them 100% for their expenses. This is because you signed a contract with the government that you wouldn't let him get into a situation where he'd need to collect these benefits, and agreed that the government could sue you if he did.

I understand your frustration, but your perspective is a little skewed. The whole point in making you sign an affidavit of support was to ensure that the taxpayers of the US didn't have to bear any of the costs associated with your husband immigrating to the US. On behalf of the US taxpayers, the government expects you to keep your promise.

Anyway, you could apply for state subsidized health insurance and just hope your husband doesn't have an accident or become seriously ill, but there wouldn't be much point. If you don't get the insurance then you'll end up paying the doctor bills for a very long time. If you do get the insurance then you'll end up paying the state for a very long time. Maybe you should both be looking for better jobs.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Most States do not subsidise health insurance. Mine certainly does not.

Your chances of anybody coming after a sponsor are very very low. I have yet to come across a post where it happened.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Most States do not subsidise health insurance. Mine certainly does not.

Your chances of anybody coming after a sponsor are very very low. I have yet to come across a post where it happened.

DITTO BIGTIME

But here in Hawaii social services won't even let GC holders apply for things like medicaid.

K1 denied, K3/K4, CR-1/CR-2, AOS, ROC, Adoption, US citizenship and dual citizenship

!! ALL PAU!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
My husband is currently a Permanent Resident with Conditions (we will be up for lifting Conditions in a little over 2 years). Our jobs do not offer us health care and we cannot afford private health care packages. However, we understand that the Affidavit of Support that was signed by myself and my co-sponsor means my spouse cannot receive medicaid or another federal subsidized health insurance, except for Emergency Medicaid. But what about state-subsidized health insurance? Could my spouse as a Permanent Resident be eligible for that? Has anyone in this forum ever been on state-subsidized health insurance while being a Permanent Resident and having a sponsor from the AOS application process?

How are other folks dealing with health insurance? Has anyone who has a AOS sponsor been able to be eligible for any state subsidized health insurance programs? If not, how have you been able to protect your sponsors for the AOS from the Government if you *cannot* afford private health insurance, and health costs arose that you could not afford?

I would love any advice or experiences possible. It feels very frustrating that there seem to be no health care options what-so-ever available to my spouse, just because he is a permanent resident--and yet, we cannot afford health insurance.

My husbands job gives us insurance through Blue Cross Blue Shield so we got lucky there. Before that (before he got this job) we had no insurance. It's important to me and considered a "must" (like rent/bills) for expenses so I would have found some sort of insurance and made it work (moving somewhere cheaper or something like that in order to make it work). We didn't bother until we moved to Iowa (from where we were staying in Texas) because we knew of the move, and because I still had travellers insurance for a few months after I landed.

Also, I notice you said "removing conditions in a little over 2 years"... your profile indicates that you applied for AOS in Oct 2009 but nothing says you were approved so I'm going to assume that you were approved in say Feb 2010. If so, you are required to apply for his ROC in the 90 days BEFORE Feb 2012... so you have around a year and a half (less actually) to apply for ROC. It's very important to file in that 90 days. They won't accept it before the 90 days, and after the expiry date you'll get a scary letter saying removal proceedings will commence soon.

Please remember update your timeline so others can benefit from your experience and your profile to reflect that you are now AOS (approved). The timeline function is up the top called "immigration timelines". To update your profile click on "settings" (up the top right of the page) then the "profile" tab, then "change profile information" (which should be the default one that opens). Then scroll down to Immigration status where it currently says "AOS (pending)" and change it to "AOS (approved)".

** moved from "Adjustment of Status (Green Card) from Family Based Visas" to Moving Here and Your New Life In America as this isn't an AOS question**

Timeline

Actually, many permanent residents are eligible for Medicare. Unless it's for long term or institutional care, it wouldn't make them a "public charge", and they wouldn't be deported for it.

He may actually be eligible for a state subsidized health insurance plan. That's not the point. If he actually collects any means tested benefits then the state can make you reimburse them 100% for their expenses. This is because you signed a contract with the government that you wouldn't let him get into a situation where he'd need to collect these benefits, and agreed that the government could sue you if he did.

I understand your frustration, but your perspective is a little skewed. The whole point in making you sign an affidavit of support was to ensure that the taxpayers of the US didn't have to bear any of the costs associated with your husband immigrating to the US. On behalf of the US taxpayers, the government expects you to keep your promise.

Anyway, you could apply for state subsidized health insurance and just hope your husband doesn't have an accident or become seriously ill, but there wouldn't be much point. If you don't get the insurance then you'll end up paying the doctor bills for a very long time. If you do get the insurance then you'll end up paying the state for a very long time. Maybe you should both be looking for better jobs.

Thanks for the reply!

So, the State could claim he was eligible and accept him for the health insurance program, even as they know that they will bill his sponsor for all charges in the end? Why would they accept him into the program if that is the case? (any ideas.... :))

We would love better jobs--- but the competition is high... in fact, I'm not sure where you are at but around here in NY state there are no jobs! So you take what you can get....(this needs to change!)

I find it hard to believe everyone on this forum has the good fortune of a job with health insurance, so I'm just wondering what folks are doing in meantime to protect themselves...and also the assets of their sponsors or co-sponsors, up until the time the permanent resident becomes a citizen and is responsible for him/herself.

Maybe we'll try to get accident insurance, just to cover our bases if a catastrophic event were to happen (godforbid). Anyone have accident insurance they could recommend?

Thanks so much for all the responses---health insurance certainly is important, for all of us, and I appreciate your perspectives! Thanks!

Dec. 23, 3008- Touched

.... (need to find data)

Timeline

I have never considered it to be a sponsorship issue, and still do not.

We have catastophe protection, high deductible cover just in case.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

I have never considered it to be a sponsorship issue, and still do not.

We have catastophe protection, high deductible cover just in case.

Catastrophe protection--- that must be the same as "accident insurance".

What company do you use?

We've been searching the web and making lots of phone calls but no luck....

any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

thanks!

(I guess we all see health care differently--- I see it as a sponsorship issue b/c essentially our co-sponsors are requiring us to get insurance even though we cannot afford it because of the sponsorship financial responsibilities... in my belief, health care is a HUMAN RIGHT and we should all, regardless of citizenship, have the right to access to health care...but that's another story....)

Dec. 23, 3008- Touched

.... (need to find data)

Timeline

Catastrophe = high deductible.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

It is a logical fallacy to say that health care is a human right. It is a product and service provided by other people, who themselves have rights. Transforming any product or service into a "right" then creates a situation where we must infringe upon the rights of others in order to provide it. Either by forcing others to pay for it, or in some situations forcing people to provide it.

Claiming it as a basic human right is purely emotional and highly illogical.

What if I don't want to pay for your health care? Do I have a right to not pay for it?

What if I'm a doctor and don't want to treat people who won't pay me (after all, I have bills to pay, and private medical school was very expensive), do I have the right to not spend time, equipment, resources, etc, in serving those people?

______

-Kevin

Love is not just a feeling, it is the actions showing kindness, caring, and concern, even when you don't feel like it.

Truth and Prayer our faith blog

We are both Seventh-Day Adventist Christians.

What does that mean?? Please feel free to ask me, I'd be more than happy to share.

- our beliefs - SDA fundamentals - we follow the Bible! -

- does hell burn forever? - what happens when you die? - Bible prophecy Truth -

- Sabbath Truth -

My understanding is that when you sign the I-864 you are saying that your resources are available to the immigrant. But this doesn't mean the immigrant can never apply for benefits, it just means that if he applies for benefits the benefit agency can consider your resources as well as his when deciding if he is eligible. If you think you would be eligible for something other than the sponsorship issue then go to the relevant agency and tell them your situation, being completely honest about him being an immigrant and both you and the co-sponsor being sponsors. They will tell you if he is still eligible or not, and whether they will need to take the co-sponsor's earnings into account or not.

The I-864 allows agencies to take the sponsor's resources into consideration, but it does not force them to do this. Some agencies do, others don't. The sponsor can only be held responsible if the immigrant gets benefits in a situation when they should've given the sponsor's details but didn't.

Timeline

My understanding is that when you sign the I-864 you are saying that your resources are available to the immigrant. But this doesn't mean the immigrant can never apply for benefits, it just means that if he applies for benefits the benefit agency can consider your resources as well as his when deciding if he is eligible. If you think you would be eligible for something other than the sponsorship issue then go to the relevant agency and tell them your situation, being completely honest about him being an immigrant and both you and the co-sponsor being sponsors. They will tell you if he is still eligible or not, and whether they will need to take the co-sponsor's earnings into account or not.

The I-864 allows agencies to take the sponsor's resources into consideration, but it does not force them to do this. Some agencies do, others don't. The sponsor can only be held responsible if the immigrant gets benefits in a situation when they should've given the sponsor's details but didn't.

Thank you for your response JoannaV. That was very useful. I appreciate it.

Dec. 23, 3008- Touched

.... (need to find data)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
around here in NY state there are no jobs!
Yo, C. man! No need to hang around Beefalo or wherever you're chilling (figuratively & literally). Come to Texas, si man. Jobs. Another VJ couple (USC guy, Ecu wife) is moving from California to Texas this month and are thrilled to be doing so, si man.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.