howzz1854

Do i want "Tax Return Transcript" or "Tax Account Transcript"

16 posts in this topic

i seem to remember someone mentioned that it's one of the two, not the other. But i can't seem to find the original topic using the search function.

we're getting ready to file for adjustment of conditional status, and i seem to recall you guys mentioning it's better to just order a tax transcript, but which one.

Filed: Timeline

We just got RFE last friday because Paul didn't include 2009 tax transcript. He only include tax transcript for 2007 & 2008 and Form 1040 for 2009. He ordered 2009 tax transcript last Friday.

i seem to remember someone mentioned that it's one of the two, not the other. But i can't seem to find the original topic using the search function.

we're getting ready to file for adjustment of conditional status, and i seem to recall you guys mentioning it's better to just order a tax transcript, but which one.

both are usually accepted, but USCIS prefers tax transcripts since they are from IRS and include all the information they need. Transcripts are free and if you have a fax machine handy, they are willing to fax them to you prior to mailing them which will be a much faster method.

N-400 Naturalization Timeline

06/28/11 .. Mailed N-400 package via Priority mail with delivery confirmation

06/30/11 .. Package Delivered to Dallas Lockbox

07/06/11 .. Received e-mail notification of application acceptance

07/06/11 .. Check cashed

07/08/11 .. Received NOA letter

07/29/11 .. Received text/e-mail for biometrics notice

08/03/11 .. Received Biometrics letter - scheduled for 8/24/11

08/04/11 .. Walk-in finger prints done.

08/08/11 .. Received text/e-mail: Placed in line for interview scheduling

09/12/11 .. Received Yellow letter dated 9/7/11

09/13/11 .. Received text/e-mail: Interview scheduled

09/16/11 .. Received interview letter

10/19/11 .. Interview - PASSED

10/20/11 .. Received text/email: Oath scheduled

10/22/11 .. Received OATH letter

11/09/11 .. Oath ceremony

You want a tax return transcript. A tax account transcript is needed if a 1040x was turned in or other adjustments were made after the original tax return was sent in.

Naturalization

3/23/14 - N400 package sent to Phoenix

3/27/14 - N400 package delivered

4/3/14 - NOA1 receipt date

4/4/14 - check cashed

04/29/14 - biometrics date

07/01/14 - interview date

xx/xx/xx - Oath Ceremony

both are usually accepted, but USCIS prefers tax transcripts since they are from IRS and include all the information they need. Transcripts are free and if you have a fax machine handy, they are willing to fax them to you prior to mailing them which will be a much faster method.

If you don't have a fax machine available and you have the time, you can always swing by to your local IRS office to get a copy. We went to our local IRS and we are out of there less than 15 minutes. They are not busy at all and it is the best time to drop by!

03/21/06- Met online

10/13/06- Met in person (Los Angeles USA) (three weeks)

12/20/06- Met in person (Kuala Lumpur Malaysia) (three weeks)

02/13/07- Met in person (Nagoya Japan) (two days)

06/21/07- Met in person (Portland Oregon (via PDX), USA) (three weeks)

11/30/07- Met in person (Portland Oregon (via LAX), USA) (six weeks)

12/12/07- Got married (In a Light House!!!)

01/18/08- I-130 sent

01/21/08- I-130 received at Chicago Lock Box

02/15/08- Check cashed

02/26/08- NOA1 received (Notice date: 2/12/2008)

02/19/08- Touched

04/23/08- Met in person (Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia) (one week)

04/30/08- Here I am in USA!!!!

05/19/08- I-130 approved!

05/27/08- NVC received our application and case number assigned

06/02/08- DS-3032 sent & AOS Bill Generated

06/05/08- Paid AOS Bill online

06/16/08- DS-3032 email accepted by NVC

08/28/08- Case completed!

10/21/08- Interview date (Rescheduled by US Embassy- Original date 10/28)-PASSED!!!

10/22/08- Visa in hand!

10/31/08- POE- Seattle, WA

11/12/08- Received SSN in mail!

11/20/08- Got my WA driving license!

I-751

08/03/10- I-751 sent

08/09/10- NOA

08/24/10- Biometrics

10/28/10- Case approved

.png

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

just a small followup, for anyone else reading this -

http://www.irs.gov/individuals/article/0,,id=110571,00.html

IRS clearly states what is what, on that page.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

just a small followup, for anyone else reading this -

http://www.irs.gov/individuals/article/0,,id=110571,00.html

IRS clearly states what is what, on that page.

I 've read that and it's also on the info page where you contact the IRS to order the transcript. But my question was in regard to "which one" of the two the Immigration IO officer want to see, has nohing to do with what IRS wants. I think most of you mis-understood me. I know the difference between the two. Thanks for the link anyway. I am sure it'll serve its purpose for others.

Edited by howzz1854

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Honestly either is sufficient. Most people I know sent in the IRS Account Transcripts. The IRS Tax Return Transcripts are fine too but my husband and I sent in the account ones because they were smaller (i.e. less pages) and we had no issues with them. The account transcripts contain all the required information with less of the nitty-gritty bull

You want a tax return transcript. A tax account transcript is needed if a 1040x was turned in or other adjustments were made after the original tax return was sent in.

Not true actually because my husband and I did not do a 1040x neither did we make any amendments. They're simply a different way of laying out the information.

Edited by Vanessa&Tony

Honestly either is sufficient. Most people I know sent in the IRS Account Transcripts. The IRS Tax Return Transcripts are fine too but my husband and I sent in the account ones because they were smaller (i.e. less pages) and we had no issues with them. The account transcripts contain all the required information with less of the nitty-gritty bull

Not true actually because my husband and I did not do a 1040x neither did we make any amendments. They're simply a different way of laying out the information.

You are entitled to your own opinion, but not your own facts. The link Darnell posted backs up my statement. Please get your facts before calling someone a liar.

Edited by edp333

Naturalization

4/4/14 - check cashed

xx/xx/xx - Oath Ceremony

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

You are entitled to your own opinion, but not your own facts. The link Darnell posted backs up my statement. Please get your facts before calling someone a liar.

I didn't call you a liar. You stated that IRS Account Transcripts were ONLY required/needed if you filed a 1040x or made amendments. Thus implying they were only needed and/or available if either of those instances were true,

A tax account transcript is needed if a 1040x was turned in or other adjustments were made after the original tax return was sent in.

Yes the account transcript SHOWS amendments, but anyone can get one and from my experience, and in fact based on your post as well, IRS Account Transcripts are the better option as they will show any amendments if there are any (not that there has to be) thus they are the CURRENT status of your tax return, or not what you may have filed months ago and may have changed.

Edited by Vanessa&Tony

Edited by journeyman

I didn't call you a liar. You stated that IRS Account Transcripts were ONLY required/needed if you filed a 1040x or made amendments. Thus implying they were only needed and/or available if either of those instances were true,

The word only is not in my sentence. Please do not add words to my writing to define your misunderstanding of my English. If you need help with English all you needed to do was ask.

So you are saying the words not true were not written by you?

false adjective ( NOT TRUE )

disapproving not true, but made to seem true in order to deceive people

http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/british/false_2

Edited by edp333

Naturalization

4/4/14 - check cashed

xx/xx/xx - Oath Ceremony

My apologies to the OP, howzz1854, for assisting in the hijacking of your topic.

Naturalization

4/4/14 - check cashed

xx/xx/xx - Oath Ceremony

Filed: Other Country: Russia
Timeline

So to summarize, for most people, you can use either a tax return transcript OR a tax account transcript. It doesn't matter.

The tax return transcript is longer. The one I have in front of me is 5 pages, vs 1 page for the tax account transcript for the same year. Both show the same relevant information that USCIS wants to see.

If you file(d) a 1040X for a given year, you would need to send a tax account transcript. The amended information is only shown on the tax account transcript.

I ordered copies of both when I was doing my AOS. I sent only the tax account transcripts for the previous 3 years. I did this for the sole reason that it was 3 pages instead of 15.

I also think that although they both have the relevent tax information, it is much easier to find that information on the 1 page tax account transcript. As a rule, I don't like to send USCIS any information in a format that will make them more likely to screw it up. They do that well enough already.

QCjgyJZ.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.