Usui Takumi

Wife needs a car in the next year or so...

67 posts in this topic

Some imagination you have there. The voice of experience perhaps?

I've head about you and truck stops. So has half Washington State ;)

Truck stops? Voice of experience? Please enlighten us.

"I swear by my life and my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine."- Ayn Rand

“Your freedom to be you includes my freedom to be free from you.”

― Andrew Wilkow

Word. I just bought a '07 Sonata - 46k miles on it. Paid less than half the price of a new one.

Yep did the same with a matrix paid 11000 had 32k on it. New was 19000.

Your bizarre sexual machinations aside, did you just admit to marrying a gay man? Thanks for clarifying that marc.

Have a peanut!

"I swear by my life and my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine."- Ayn Rand

― Andrew Wilkow

I really liked using consumer reports when I was shopping for my current car. They have all sorts of categories to compare, one of them was reliability. Cars which did not score well here were instantly off the list.

I also think you (collectively, you AND her) should look at your finances together, how you're spending, where, etc. Or, if you already have a well controlled budget, then revisit that together to see what things would have to be given up in order to pay for the mini (+ later costs, insurance, repair, etc)

If you hold the purse strings, then telling an educated 1st world woman "we can't afford it" just doesn't cut it, but she can surely understand the numbers you'll show her, and how you won't be able to afford cable, cell phones, or going out to eat in order to save for/maintain/drive a Mini.

Maybe she still wants it. If so, then why not put together a savings plan into your budget. She gives up certain expenditures for the time it takes to save up for the purchase price AND a "rainy day" repair costs fund (she should participate in the research to determine how large this should be), and then you buy. I guess that's what I'd be doing for any car, really.

Edited by Nik+Heather

K-1:

January 28, 2009: NOA1

June 4, 2009: Interview - APPROVED!!!

October 11, 2009: Wedding

AOS:

December 23, 2009: NOA1!

January 22, 2010: Bogus RFE corrected through congressional inquiry "EAD waiting on biometrics only" Read about it here.

March 15, 2010: AOS interview - RFE for I-693 vaccination supplement - CS signed part 6!

March 27, 2010: Green Card recieved

ROC:

March 1, 2012: Mailed ROC package

March 7, 2012: Tracking says "notice left"...after a phone call to post office.

More detailed time line in profile.

Sex games in the back of a car - you already did enlighten us.

Oh I see! You go to truck stops to have sex games with ppl like richard simmons?

― Andrew Wilkow

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Oh I see! You go to truck stops to have sex games with ppl like richard simmons?

Marc, you're not very good at this. You should stick to things you know, like your husband, and getting blotto drunk.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

if we're done hijacking the thread.....

i'd suggest the op rent one at budget or some place like that and let her drive it for a weekend. be sure to have her go shopping in it too, to see how much can be put in it.

then show her a matrix.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Would you rather drive that car you know you didn't want, or would you rather think its the car you wanted in the first place?

But she's your wife, won't she see that coming? So on top of telling her that that's the car she wants you will also convince her that you're not trying to convince her for an ulterior motive? :lol:

I like the Honda Fit unfortunately it has a weakness in the crash tests and I've aaaalways wanted a Smart Car but this is Georgia and I'm not trying to die any time soon. There are just too many bigger cars, SUVs, trucks compared to UK roads to be driving compacts.

If it's too much, it's too much... though it sounds like you can afford it but it will be really tight and you know you're in for a battle as to why it's unjustifiable.

The economy is too crappy right now, investing in something that's good for value (not going to die on you) is important as well as any extra money you could keep. Something might happen and you could be really glad that you kept that 2k (or whatever) from not getting a Mini.

Good luck!

I really liked using consumer reports when I was shopping for my current car. They have all sorts of categories to compare, one of them was reliability. Cars which did not score well here were instantly off the list.

I also think you (collectively, you AND her) should look at your finances together, how you're spending, where, etc. Or, if you already have a well controlled budget, then revisit that together to see what things would have to be given up in order to pay for the mini (+ later costs, insurance, repair, etc)

If you hold the purse strings, then telling an educated 1st world woman "we can't afford it" just doesn't cut it, but she can surely understand the numbers you'll show her, and how you won't be able to afford cable, cell phones, or going out to eat in order to save for/maintain/drive a Mini.

Maybe she still wants it. If so, then why not put together a savings plan into your budget. She gives up certain expenditures for the time it takes to save up for the purchase price AND a "rainy day" repair costs fund (she should participate in the research to determine how large this should be), and then you buy. I guess that's what I'd be doing for any car, really.

:thumbs:

mooglesmall2-1-1.jpgDelicioussig.jpg

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

if we're done hijacking the thread.....

i'd suggest the op rent one at budget or some place like that and let her drive it for a weekend. be sure to have her go shopping in it too, to see how much can be put in it.

then show her a matrix.

Thanks for the warning Barney

barney-fife.jpg

You might want to wear an athletic protector if you choose to talk to her like that. :bonk::bonk:
Why should he have to wear protection to tell his wife that he's not going to buy her a more expensive car? Being abused by your spouse, even if it comes from the wife, isn't cute. This brings up another good point. The collective effemination of male gender is sad. Society in its rush to encourage the female gender, about their abilities and capacities, decided to make male recessive and docile. A man’s naturally loud voice must be quieted. He cannot walk fast. He must not talk of his natural prowess of a man. The playing field must be even for both gender even if men excel in somethings.

N400 CITIZENSHIP STAGE

23-DEC-2016 -:- N400 form mailed to Dallas, TX Lockbox (USPS EXPRESS)

27-DEC-2016 -:- N400 form delivered/picked up by USCIS

01-JAN-2017 -:- N400 form fee check cashed by USCIS

04-JAN-2017 -:- N400 form received per NOA1

09-JAN-2017 -:- N400 form NOA1 notice date

14-JAN-2017 -:- N400 form NOA1 on hand through USPS

30-JAN-2017 -:- N400 fingerprint taken

01-FEB-2017 -:- N400 interview schedule process started

26-JUL-2017 -:- N400 interview date set (01SEP2017)

29-JUL-2017 -:- N400 interview letter on hand

01-SEP-2017 -:- N400 interview date - Interview passed

10-OCT-2017-:- N400 oath ceremony letter on hand (oath on 26OCT2017)

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline

then show her a matrix.

:thumbs: I like the idea of the wife making HIM rent a Ford Fiesta for a weekend. ;) They are definitely not a car that will fit many people.

We currently have an 5 year old SUV and a 12 year old beat to hell Corolla. Although I loved them both at one time, neither one is my dream car at the moment. I want to either get rid of the beater for a camry size family car or trade in the SUV for a Scion or Honda CRV type ride. I am really lusting after the Scion lately.. I can't say enough good things about them.

Our VisaJourney started July 2009 when I mailed the 129-F

Fiance here February 2010, married 10 days later

GC received in the mail 10-Jun-2010

Able to apply to remove conditions 12-Feb-2012

BABY GIRL BORN JULY 2011!!!

Filed: Other Country: Afghanistan
Timeline

Wow where are these posts coming from? My wife works so its not me buying her the car. Its got to be a mutual decision.

At any rate I think she'd rather not have a car and borrow mine when needed while we are saving money for the Mini. Nothing wrong with that I just feel bad and would like to see her get excited about something that could be bought sooner.

Charles had a good idea about renting a few models.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline

Why should he have to wear protection to tell his wife that he's not going to buy her a more expensive car? Being abused by your spouse, even if it comes from the wife, isn't cute. This brings up another good point. The collective effemination of male gender is sad. Society in its rush to encourage the female gender, about their abilities and capacities, decided to make male recessive and docile. A mans naturally loud voice must be quieted. He cannot walk fast. He must not talk of his natural prowess of a man. The playing field must be even for both gender even if men excel in somethings.

FFS, It was said in jest. I suggested protecting himself if he wanted to be a jerk about things like some people were suggesting. I didn't say that she SHOULD hurt him.

Edited by Jewel-8

Our VisaJourney started July 2009 when I mailed the 129-F

Fiance here February 2010, married 10 days later

GC received in the mail 10-Jun-2010

Able to apply to remove conditions 12-Feb-2012

BABY GIRL BORN JULY 2011!!!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I'm not necessarily talking about mind games here. She likes the Mini for looks only. I'm trying to find reasons why she might like the Fiesta better or at least level the field.........

Judgment about things unknown is NOT welcome here. Thanks.

Wow - that's not the way your question came across, so I just gave my opinion. Didn't realize it would rankle so much, my only error was stepping in to OT.