Yoink

NY cigarettes the most $$$ in the nation

24 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Israel
Timeline

http://www.poughkeepsiejournal.com/article/20100619/NEWS12/100619002/NY-plans--1.60-per-pack-cigarette-tax-increase

ALBANY, N.Y. — New York plans a $1.60 increase per pack in the cigarette tax, making it the nation's highest, as well a long-delayed plan to crack down on the sale of cigarettes by tribes to non-Indians, according to a bill Gov. David Paterson's administration announced late Friday.

The plan also includes raising the tax on chewing tobacco, cigars, pipe tobacco and other tobacco products. The tax would increase to 75 percent of the wholesale price of those products, from 46 percent now.

New York state Budget Director Robert Megna said specifics are still being negotiated with legislative leaders and tribes in New York, but higher tobacco taxes will be part of an emergency spending bill Monday.

"Raising the tax, combined with the decision to collect the tax on Indian sales, together is probably the most important public health measure this state has taken in many years," said Russ Sciandra, director of the Center for a Tobacco Free New York, a coalition of health groups.

Peter Slocum of the American Cancer Society called the tax plan "one of the most important public health measures of our time."

But Paterson ventures into potentially dangerous territory in trying to tax sovereign tribes.

"This is an act of economic violence against the native people of what is now New York state," said Richard Nephew, chairman of the Seneca Nation's legislative council. "The state is built on the graves and land sacrifices of our people."

Lawmakers will either have to accept the whole package or reject the weekly emergency appropriation and shut down government. In two previous emergency appropriations they chose to avoid a shutdown of government. Government has run on weekly emergency appropriations because budget negotiations have failed. The budget was due April 1.

"Our anticipation is that extender will pass, that people will not want to shut down government," Megna said.

New York state's current cigarette tax is $2.75 a pack. A $4.35-per pack tax would surpass even Rhode Island's tax of $3.46 per pack and $3 per pack in the state of Washington, according to the American Cancer Society.

The tobacco tax package is expected to raise $440 million for New York as it faces a $9.2 billion deficit. The increases are projected to provide $290 million in revenue. The collection from Indian sales is projected to bring in $150 million this year, Megna said.

New York Indian tribes have long refused to collect taxes on their cigarette sales to Indians and non-Indians in their many shops and Internet sites. For decades, governors have sought to collect the revenue estimated at hundreds of millions a year that also has hurt businesses not owned by Indians near tribal land.

Megna said the Paterson administration seeks to avoid the violence of a similar effort more than 20 years ago by requiring wholesalers to pay the tax. Burning tires at one point shut down the statewide Thruway highway where it ran through tribes, and there were shootings reported at several Indian communities.

"I think the way we structured the bill is a way to specifically avoid that," Megna said. However, the bill also allows New York the option of issuing coupons to reimburse Indian smokers for the tax they paid, but that's not Paterson's preference.

Megna said collection taxes collections on Indian sales are scheduled to begin Sept. 1, pending more negotiations. The state believes Indian sales to Indians are tax exempt.

"We're working on agreements," he said. "We're trying to gain closure to this issue in the most inoffensive way to the Native Americans and the most unobtrusive way possible, so we're trying to do that in a way that minimizes any impact on the tribes," Megna said. He said he hopes the move will reduce, rather than increase illegal trafficking in cigarettes.

Megna said the state will provide an intentionally inflated estimate of how many cigarettes are smoked by Indians so most sales to non-Indians could be taxed.

Smokers rights advocates say the latest big tax increase will drive more smokers to buying from bootleggers, tribes and over the Internet.

"When normally law-abiding citizens are turned into victims without redress or due process they will turn to one form or another of civil disobedience — a protest that has a long and distinguished history in the face of acts that are abusive," said Audrey Silk of the smokers' rights group New York City CLASH. "Count on it."

Paterson had previously proposed an increase of $1 per pack to help fund health programs.

The Senate's Democratic majority said it is reviewing the details. The Assembly majority had already proposed a $1 per pack tax and Assembly Speaker Sheldon Silver has said he expects agreement to increase taxes on the other tobacco products, too.

Emmett Fitz-Hume: I'm sorry I'm late, I had to attend the reading of a will. I had to stay till the very end, and I found out I received nothing... broke my arm.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Oh no... let's not raise the overall sales tax on everyone. That would be bad politically... oh no, let's not cut spending.. couldn't do that.

Let's create more SIN!!! taxes!! Evil Evil Cigarettes!!!!!

:rolleyes:

Just remember, when they tax people out of smoking, they're going to have to tax something else to make up the difference...

nfrsig.jpg

The Great Canadian to Texas Transfer Timeline:

2/22/2010 - I-129F Packet Mailed

2/24/2010 - Packet Delivered to VSC

2/26/2010 - VSC Cashed Filing Fee

3/04/2010 - NOA1 Received!

8/14/2010 - Touched!

10/04/2010 - NOA2 Received!

10/25/2010 - Packet 3 Received!

02/07/2011 - Medical!

03/15/2011 - Interview in Montreal! - Approved!!!

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

I guess small pox laden blankets were't enough . :angry:

Don't just open your mouth and prove yourself a fool....put it in writing.

It gets harder the more you know. Because the more you find out, the uglier everything seems.

kodasmall3.jpg

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Indonesia
Timeline

Is it possible to tax people out of smoking?

because increasing cigarette price hasn't stopped me so far :bonk:

Edited by engineer21
AOS 05/08/10 - sent05/14/10 - receipt date on NOAs - transferred to National Benefits Center06/14/10 - Biometrics Done - Lawrence, MA (original appt)07/26/10 - Interview - APPROVED!!07/30/10 - Welcome letter rec'd (notice date: 07/26)08/05/10 - Green Card (&EAD) Received! - 2 months and 28 days total!ROC 04/28/12 - ROC package sent05/03/12 - check cashed05/04/12 - NOA1 received - dated 05/01/1206/07/12 - Biometrics done02/07/13 - Approved (status update via text msg)02/14/13 - Ten year Green card receivedNaturalization07/26/13 - eligible (90 day window opened 4/27/13)02/24/14 - N-400 sent to Dallas03/04/14 - Check cashed & case accepted (update via txt & email)03/10/14 - Biometrics appt letter rec'd (scheduled for 03/28/13)03/28/14 - Biometrics done04/01/14 - In line for interview 04/03/14 - Case status change to scheduled for interview04/10/14 - interview letter rec'd 5/13/14 - interview 6/3/14 - in line for oath 6/30/14 - Scheduled for oath

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

I guess small pox laden blankets were't enough . :angry:

:thumbs:

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

They would make more if they taxed granola.

"I swear by my life and my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine."- Ayn Rand

“Your freedom to be you includes my freedom to be free from you.”

― Andrew Wilkow

Good thing smoking is mainly limited to the wealthy.

140873H.jpg

"The fact that we are here today to debate raising America’s debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. It is a sign that the U.S. Government can’t pay its own bills. It is a sign that we now depend on ongoing financial assistance from foreign countries to finance our Government’s reckless fiscal policies."

Senator Barack Obama
Senate Floor Speech on Public Debt
March 16, 2006

barack-cowboy-hat.jpg
90f.JPG

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

New York Indian tribes have long refused to collect taxes on their cigarette sales to Indians and non-Indians in their many shops and Internet sites. For decades, governors have sought to collect the revenue estimated at hundreds of millions a year that also has hurt businesses not owned by Indians near tribal land.

Megna said the Paterson administration seeks to avoid the violence of a similar effort more than 20 years ago by requiring wholesalers to pay the tax. Burning tires at one point shut down the statewide Thruway highway where it ran through tribes, and there were shootings reported at several Indian communities.

"I think the way we structured the bill is a way to specifically avoid that," Megna said. However, the bill also allows New York the option of issuing coupons to reimburse Indian smokers for the tax they paid, but that's not Paterson's preference.

Megna said collection taxes collections on Indian sales are scheduled to begin Sept. 1, pending more negotiations. The state believes Indian sales to Indians are tax exempt.

Smoking tobacoo is the Indian's revenge on the white man. Not wanting to pay taxes on it is the American way.

David & Lalai

th_ourweddingscrapbook-1.jpg

aneska1-3-1-1.gif

Greencard Received Date: July 3, 2009

Lifting of Conditions : March 18, 2011

I-751 Application Sent: April 23, 2011

Biometrics: June 9, 2011

How does one manipulate the questions on Marlboro.com to get more frequent coupons?

Some people I know get $5.00 coupons two or three times a month. I get them every few months..... :angry:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

If the states (or the Feds) want more tax revenue from smokers, then they should encourage smoking among as many people as possible. Otherwise, they'll lack the tax revenue to adequately fund their health programs. And, separately, it would seem that the state & the Feds have little or no right to tell tribal governments how to operate.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

How does one manipulate the questions on Marlboro.com to get more frequent coupons?

Some people I know get $5.00 coupons two or three times a month. I get them every few months..... :angry:

Just mail Marlboro an X-Ray of that spot on your lung.

"The fact that we are here today to debate raising America’s debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. It is a sign that the U.S. Government can’t pay its own bills. It is a sign that we now depend on ongoing financial assistance from foreign countries to finance our Government’s reckless fiscal policies."

Senator Barack Obama
Senate Floor Speech on Public Debt
March 16, 2006

barack-cowboy-hat.jpg
90f.JPG

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

http://www.poughkeepsiejournal.com/article/20100619/NEWS12/100619002/NY-plans--1.60-per-pack-cigarette-tax-increase

ALBANY, N.Y. — New York plans a $1.60 increase per pack in the cigarette tax, making it the nation's highest, as well a long-delayed plan to crack down on the sale of cigarettes by tribes to non-Indians, according to a bill Gov. David Paterson's administration announced late Friday.

The plan also includes raising the tax on chewing tobacco, cigars, pipe tobacco and other tobacco products. The tax would increase to 75 percent of the wholesale price of those products, from 46 percent now.

New York state Budget Director Robert Megna said specifics are still being negotiated with legislative leaders and tribes in New York, but higher tobacco taxes will be part of an emergency spending bill Monday.

"Raising the tax, combined with the decision to collect the tax on Indian sales, together is probably the most important public health measure this state has taken in many years," said Russ Sciandra, director of the Center for a Tobacco Free New York, a coalition of health groups.

Peter Slocum of the American Cancer Society called the tax plan "one of the most important public health measures of our time."

But Paterson ventures into potentially dangerous territory in trying to tax sovereign tribes.

"This is an act of economic violence against the native people of what is now New York state," said Richard Nephew, chairman of the Seneca Nation's legislative council. "The state is built on the graves and land sacrifices of our people."

Lawmakers will either have to accept the whole package or reject the weekly emergency appropriation and shut down government. In two previous emergency appropriations they chose to avoid a shutdown of government. Government has run on weekly emergency appropriations because budget negotiations have failed. The budget was due April 1.

"Our anticipation is that extender will pass, that people will not want to shut down government," Megna said.

New York state's current cigarette tax is $2.75 a pack. A $4.35-per pack tax would surpass even Rhode Island's tax of $3.46 per pack and $3 per pack in the state of Washington, according to the American Cancer Society.

The tobacco tax package is expected to raise $440 million for New York as it faces a $9.2 billion deficit. The increases are projected to provide $290 million in revenue. The collection from Indian sales is projected to bring in $150 million this year, Megna said.

"We're working on agreements," he said. "We're trying to gain closure to this issue in the most inoffensive way to the Native Americans and the most unobtrusive way possible, so we're trying to do that in a way that minimizes any impact on the tribes," Megna said. He said he hopes the move will reduce, rather than increase illegal trafficking in cigarettes.

Megna said the state will provide an intentionally inflated estimate of how many cigarettes are smoked by Indians so most sales to non-Indians could be taxed.

Smokers rights advocates say the latest big tax increase will drive more smokers to buying from bootleggers, tribes and over the Internet.

"When normally law-abiding citizens are turned into victims without redress or due process they will turn to one form or another of civil disobedience — a protest that has a long and distinguished history in the face of acts that are abusive," said Audrey Silk of the smokers' rights group New York City CLASH. "Count on it."

Paterson had previously proposed an increase of $1 per pack to help fund health programs.

The Senate's Democratic majority said it is reviewing the details. The Assembly majority had already proposed a $1 per pack tax and Assembly Speaker Sheldon Silver has said he expects agreement to increase taxes on the other tobacco products, too.

As a resident of NY, here's to hoping that they don't pass anything and they shut down. It's not like I would miss them. I just renewed my license and registration and beyond that I can think of why I need them (and if they didn't exist to harass me, I wouldn't need them for that either). I suppose it's a little overly optimistic to assume that if they took the summer off they would stop extorting money from my pay check. But at least they would stop spending the money.