Teacher Mark

Can't Buy Love?

14 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

By Arlina Arshad (AFP) – 5 days ago

JAKARTA — Alarm bells not wedding bells are ringing over Indonesian proposals to demand a 55,000-dollar "security guarantee" from foreign men who marry Indonesian women.

Enraged brides-to-be are threatening to flee the country and marry their boyfriends abroad if the government approves the plan, which is part of a wider marriage law reform being pushed by Muslim conservatives.

And befuddled foreign grooms are asking why they are being targeted when stories of foreign men being exploited by gold-digging women are rife in the Southeast Asian country.

The proposal requires foreign men wishing to wed Muslim women -- it will not apply to Christians or Buddhists or Hindus -- to put a guarantee of 500 million rupiah (55,000 dollars) into a bank.

If the couple divorce, the wife will be entitled to take the money. If they stick together for at least 10 years, they can claim it as "shared property".

"The provision... is intended to protect the rights of women and their children if their husbands neglect, fail to provide for, leave Indonesia secretly... divorce or do anything which harms their interests," the bill says.

Love-struck couples are outraged.

"How ridiculous... the government wants to sell me off," sniffed 36-year-old events organiser Roslina, who is planning to tie the knot with her German boyfriend, Christopher, in September.

"My future husband will pay the amount but that's not the point. We'll definitely marry abroad if this becomes law."

A 24-year-old model who declined to be named said she and her boyfriend, also from Germany, were being unfairly discriminated against.

"It looks like the government has no respect for Indonesian women. It's crazy to penalise only foreign men. Why not charge local men who marry three or four wives but can't afford it?" she said.

Her 39-year-old boyfriend, a banker who declined to give his name, said: "It's a clear statement by the government that it owns its people and it sells them on the meat market."

"Maybe we'll also see catalogues in the future of women who are on the market for sale. Maybe I can open an office abroad and start marketing Indonesian women," he added sarcastically.

Female student Masyita agreed: "People say that love is priceless, but you have to pay a penalty if you fall in love in Indonesia. But don't worry, it's only 500 million rupiah... so cheap, aren't we?"

The proposal, spearheaded by the religious affairs ministry, will be sent to parliament for approval by the end of the year, an official said.

The guarantee is designed to stop foreigners entering fake marriages in order to set up businesses or buy property in their wives' names, and to ensure that women are financially secured against divorce, ministry official Nasaruddin Umar said.

"When the women are no longer of use, it's usually goodbye to them," he added without providing figures or research to back up his statement.

"Marriage is pure and sacred, it shouldn't be tainted by lust or personal interests. We want to protect our women."

The plan has drawn mixed responses from the country's clerics, women's groups and lawmakers.

Clerics in the world's most populous Muslim-majority country have thrown their weight behind the draft bill.

Critics say it will only encourage people to "live in sin" outside of wedlock, leaving women more vulnerable.

"I applaud this proposal. We've heard many cases of foreigners marrying our women and then deserting them and their kids with nothing," Indonesian Council of Ulema chairman Amidhan told AFP.

But lawmaker Iskan Qolba Lubis said: "People want to marry because they're in love so why are we making things difficult for them? It's also discriminatory. We wouldn't be happy if other countries did the same to us."

Nia Schumacher of Melati Worldwide, a group which lobbies for the interests of people in mixed marriages, said the proposal would lead to an exodus of "runaway brides".

"Or the couples may not register their marriages or skip marriage altogether and co-habit instead. Is that what the government wants?" she asked.

Some women's rights activists say the plan treats women like a commodity and discriminates against foreign men.

"We clearly reject the proposal. It lowers the dignity of women and not all foreign men have that much money," Association of Indonesian Women in Multinational Marriages (Srikandi) co-chairwoman Emmylia Hannig said.

"If the basis of the law is to protect women, it should apply to both foreign and local men. There are many cases of local men having several wives and ditching them without giving money," she added.

Roslina said the bill was ruining romances as foreign men walked away from promises.

"My friend has lost a potential husband. She and her French boyfriend had been dating for four years and were planning to get married. But I heard the wedding has been postponed indefinitely," she said.

"The man said he's scared to get married because it's unfair that he needs to pay."

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5hPP7Kxbm3CkbD7fP0Kt7LLmgRpPQ

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Well, there's lots of Christian Churches in Indonesia, the women there can convert. Easy Peasy Lemon Squeezie(s) .

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Well, there's lots of Christian Churches in Indonesia, the women there can convert. Easy Peasy Lemon Squeezie(s) .

lol

~ NVC Journey~

22 days at NVC

03/18/2010: Case Complete!

03/25/2010: Called NVC .. INTERVIEW May 27 @ 7:45!! Woot Woot

05/27/2010: Approved at the interview, but put on AP afterwards :(

06/27/2010: Really missing my Hubby :*(

07/29/2010: Visa Issued!! AP is OVER!!

07/31/2010: Visa in hand!!! Thank you GOD!

09/01/2010: POE JFK

2 Amazing Years Later!!!

~Lifting Conditions~

08/09/2012: File I-751 Packet

08/17/2012: NOA I-751 Receipt Notice recieved!

"Distance means nothing for love. Even the sun is so far away; yet, its energy blossoms the flowers on earth."

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

good.gif

I see this as a ploy to try and prevent Muslim Women from seeking a better life with a person who would love them for who they are and not persecute them becasue they are a woman in the muslim society.

I could be wrong becasue I am not muslim nor have extensive knowledge of the religeon but everything I read the woman is not neccessarily given equality.

I don't think this is that likely to pass, I could be wrong though. Some of the rural areas of Indonesia are still rather conservative.

But as mentioned in the article there are ways around it, from "converting" to another religion or getting married in Singapore. I think it will end up backfiring pretty badly.

Too bad this will most likely apply to legal marriages, not religious ones were men marry a multi women or marry them for a weekend (Sort of Muslim version of prostitution, popular with Arab men).

keTiiDCjGVo

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

No, but you can rent it... :whistle:

Edited by IR5FORMUMSIE

IR5

2007-07-27 – Case complete at NVC waiting on the world or at least MTL.

2007-12-19 - INTERVIEW AT MTL, SPLIT DECISION.

2007-12-24-Mom's I-551 arrives, Pop's still in purgatory (AP)

2008-03-11-AP all done, Pop is approved!!!!

tumblr_lme0c1CoS21qe0eclo1_r6_500.gif

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Hong Kong
Timeline
"My future husband will pay the amount but that's not the point. We'll definitely marry abroad if this becomes law."

I don't get this. Why would her fiance pay the $55k now when this law hasn't passed, but they will marry abroad if it does? And to whom would he be paying it?

Scott - So. California, Lai - Hong Kong

3dflagsdotcom_usa_2fagm.gif3dflagsdotcom_chchk_2fagm.gif

Our timeline:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showuser=1032

Our Photos

http://www.amazon.ofoto.com/I.jsp?c=7mj8fg...=0&y=x7fhak

http://www.amazon.ofoto.com/BrowsePhotos.j...z8zadq&Ux=1

Optimist: "The glass is half full."

Pessimist: "The glass is half empty."

Scott: "I didn't order this!!!"

"Where you go I will go, and where you stay I will stay. Your people will be my people and your God my God." - Ruth 1:16

"Losing faith in Humanity, one person at a time."

"Do not put your trust in princes, in mortal men, who cannot save." - Ps 146:3

cool.gif

IMG_6283c.jpg

Vicky >^..^< She came, she loved, and was loved. 1989-07/07/2007

I was vacationing in my country last year when i heard about this. The lamest plan ever!!! Our Government trying to sell us to foreign men...what could possibly worst than that???headbonk.gif Pathetic!!!! I dont know what they're thinking... it just makes our country look so bad....sad!

Oh and about Women can convert their religion, in my opinion, that could happen anywhere since it depends on individual! It isnt the church who decides... The church definitely would not want its member to convert but its totally up to the person, isnt so???

Anyhoo..i really really really hope this stupid retarded plan of my Government would not be heard no more and buried, they got more important stuff to do than noseying about people love relationship.....ough!!!

Happy day everyone!

Oct 2005 - met my baby

Dec 2006 - he proposed

Feb 2007 - K-1 filed

Dec 2007 - K-1 Visa Interview (denied), the reason: i was overstayed my previous visit in 2000-2003 (my bad)

Feb 2008 - I-601 Waiver filed

Sept 2008 - Waiver approved (K-1 Visa issued)

Jan 2009 - the Wedding Blessing & Reception (Bali, Indonesia)

Feb 2009 - Arrived in the US followed by the Civil Wedding & Reception (again:)

March 2009 - AOS filed

April 2009 - Biometric

May 2009 - EAD card in hand

Aug 27th 2009 - AOS Interview (approved, yaay)

Sept 2009- Green Card arrived in the mail...yippeeeew...(i want to sing of Your Love forever)

June 2011 - ROC filed

July 2011 - Biometric

Dec 2011 - ROC approved (Best Christmas ever, i must've been a really good girl this year :)

The wait would be unbearable but it'll be worth it. It strengthens the love, it attaches you even more to each other, it shows how your man would do whatever it takes to be with you, that he will never give up on you because he LOVES you!! All the waits, stresses, tears, heartaches, all the miserable feelings you feel along the way will be paid off once you get what you've been hoping for...oh and WITHOUT PRAYERS? will be like trying to start a fire with water, JUST WON'T WORK!

...Just so long as they don't invest it in BP stock while they wait for the 10 years to be upwhistling.gif

02/2003 - Met

08/24/09 I-129F; 09/02 NOA1; 10/14 NOA2; 11/24 interview; 11/30 K-1 VISA (92 d); 12/29 POE 12/31/09 Marriage

03/29/-04/06/10 - AOS sent/rcd; 04/13 NOA1; AOS 2 NBC

04/14 $1010 cashed; 04/19 NOA1

04/28 Biom.

06/16 EAD/AP

06/24 Infops; AP mail

06/28 EAD mail; travel 2 BKK; return 07/17

07/20/10 interview, 4d. b4 I-129F anniv. APPROVAL!*

08/02/10 GC

08/09/10 SSN

2012-05-16 Lifting Cond. - I-751 sent

2012-06-27 Biom,

2013-01-10 7 Mo, 2 Wks. & 5 days - 10 Yr. PR Card (no interview)

*2013-04-22 Apply for citizenship (if she desires at that time) 90 days prior to 3yr anniversary of P. Residence

I had typed up a long response. Then I deleted it. The hell I care about Indonesia. They can rot in hell for all I care.

N400 CITIZENSHIP STAGE

23-DEC-2016 -:- N400 form mailed to Dallas, TX Lockbox (USPS EXPRESS)

27-DEC-2016 -:- N400 form delivered/picked up by USCIS

01-JAN-2017 -:- N400 form fee check cashed by USCIS

04-JAN-2017 -:- N400 form received per NOA1

09-JAN-2017 -:- N400 form NOA1 notice date

14-JAN-2017 -:- N400 form NOA1 on hand through USPS

30-JAN-2017 -:- N400 fingerprint taken

01-FEB-2017 -:- N400 interview schedule process started

26-JUL-2017 -:- N400 interview date set (01SEP2017)

29-JUL-2017 -:- N400 interview letter on hand

01-SEP-2017 -:- N400 interview date - Interview passed

10-OCT-2017-:- N400 oath ceremony letter on hand (oath on 26OCT2017)

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

If the couple divorce, the wife will be entitled to take the money. If they stick together for at least 10 years, they can claim it as "shared property".

"It looks like the government has no respect for Indonesian women. It's crazy to penalise only foreign men. Why not charge local men who marry three or four wives but can't afford it?" she said.

A security deposit on an Indonesian wife seems like some kind misplaced nationalism. 10 years is a long time as on average, if there's a divorce, it happens in the first 4 years of marriage if it matches the American pattern.

Seems to be the typical "those foreign guys are loaded with money" and desperate to marry the local women attitude.

Edited by alienlovechild

David & Lalai

th_ourweddingscrapbook-1.jpg

aneska1-3-1-1.gif

Greencard Received Date: July 3, 2009

Lifting of Conditions : March 18, 2011

I-751 Application Sent: April 23, 2011

Biometrics: June 9, 2011

The government there should just have a auction set up in the town squares and sell the woman off to the highest bidders.

...yep, just as long as they set aside one day a month as "Sadie Hawkins Day*"

*Fictional holiday in the comic strip "L'il Abner" where there was a foot race where the men would get a head start and any woman who caught a man would get to marry him.

02/2003 - Met

08/24/09 I-129F; 09/02 NOA1; 10/14 NOA2; 11/24 interview; 11/30 K-1 VISA (92 d); 12/29 POE 12/31/09 Marriage

03/29/-04/06/10 - AOS sent/rcd; 04/13 NOA1; AOS 2 NBC

04/14 $1010 cashed; 04/19 NOA1

04/28 Biom.

06/16 EAD/AP

06/24 Infops; AP mail

06/28 EAD mail; travel 2 BKK; return 07/17

07/20/10 interview, 4d. b4 I-129F anniv. APPROVAL!*

08/02/10 GC

08/09/10 SSN

2012-05-16 Lifting Cond. - I-751 sent

2012-06-27 Biom,

2013-01-10 7 Mo, 2 Wks. & 5 days - 10 Yr. PR Card (no interview)

*2013-04-22 Apply for citizenship (if she desires at that time) 90 days prior to 3yr anniversary of P. Residence