53 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Italy
Timeline

I entered the US a week ago with a K1 visa, we haven't married yet therefore not I haven't applied for AOS. My question is: am I allowed to drive with my European driver's license? In the past when I came as a tourist I rented a car with no problems whatsoever, but I don't know if entering as a fiance changes things.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

It depends on your state. In Maryland my wife was able to drive for 60 days on her Ukraine drivers licenses because she was exempted from state law. After 60 days she could not (per attorney) because a new resident to Maryland must obtain a Maryland DL within 60 days and even though her UA licenses would still be valid she could get a ticket for failure to obtain a Maryland Drivers licenses after 60 days which could complicate her AOS. Most USA insurance policies also require the driver to be licensed in the USA so that could also cause a problem if you were driving your fiance's car and had an accident.

Filed: Timeline

California is kinda weird. Since you are becoming a resident of California, legally you have ten days to apply for a CDL if you want to continue to drive in the state. You can apply at your nearest DMV for an unverified temporary driver's license.

http://DMV.ca.gov

Edited by ##########

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Italy
Timeline

California is kinda weird. Since you are becoming a resident of California, legally you have ten days to apply for a CDL if you want to continue to drive in the state. You can apply at your nearest DMV for an unverified temporary driver's license.

Thank you for your reply. just another question: 10 days since when? and what happens if I apply after that time has passed?

oh, and by the way...what's a CDL...?

Filed: Other Timeline

Yes. You can drive with your Italian license until you have a US license. You can apply for a US license once you are a lawful permanent resident. You are a lawful permanent resident once you have your Green Card. You will get your Green Card once you applied for AOS. You can apply for AOS once you are married. Until then, you are fine to drive with the license you have, and anybody who is trying to tell you otherwise is mistaken.

Welcome to America.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Yes. You can drive with your Italian license until you have a US license. You can apply for a US license once you are a lawful permanent resident. You are a lawful permanent resident once you have your Green Card. You will get your Green Card once you applied for AOS. You can apply for AOS once you are married. Until then, you are fine to drive with the license you have, and anybody who is trying to tell you otherwise is mistaken.

Welcome to America.

unfortunately for you Bob is wrong... kinda.

As stated by someone else above, your state laws are what matters.

If your licence isn't in english you'll need to carry a translation. If asked where you live, you MUST tell them your home country. In California, you have 10 days from MOVING to California to obtain a CDL (california drivers licence). You are considered a resident of CA when you move there, irrespective of your immigration status (stupid I know).

I read a thread recently about a guy who moved to CA, thought he was fine on his foreign licence because he wasn't a legal resident (LPR), couldn't get a licence. He was still issued a citation, had to appear in traffic court and would up with a decent fine for driving unlicenced.

So... I would follow the advice of ########### and look into one of the temporary CDL's BEFORE your I-94 expires. Good luck.

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

this is what the California DMV says...

If you become a California resident, you must get a California driver license within 10 days. Residency is established by voting in a California election, paying resident tuition, filing for a homeowner’s property tax exemption, or any other privilege or benefit not ordinarily extended to nonresidents.

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/dl/dl_info.htm#two500

I am not sure what they mean by that last part though

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Filed: Other Timeline

It's all smoke.

If you are approaching your one-year anniversary in the US and still have not gained the status of a resident, post here again. Until then please ignore people who try to create problems that belong in LalaLand but not the real world.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

It's all smoke.

If you are approaching your one-year anniversary in the US and still have not gained the status of a resident, post here again. Until then please ignore people who try to create problems that belong in LalaLand but not the real world.

Ok i'd like to believe you.... But where is that information coming from?? How do you know we can drive up to one year on our foreign license? I need precise info plz! :blush:

And what about my car coming from Canada, When do i have to get it registred in Texas? (for the license plate, since i'll have a Québec's plate on it)

01/12/2011: GreenCard approved!!!!

Green card expiration date: 01/05/2013
Sent ROC package to VSC: 11/16/2012
NOA1: 11/20/2012

Approval: 04/29/2013!!!!

event.png

Filed: Timeline

Thank you for your reply. just another question: 10 days since when? and what happens if I apply after that time has passed?

oh, and by the way...what's a CDL...?

California Driver License. The ten days begin once you establish your intention to live in the state. As far as the cops are concerned, it began the day you entered the state, as a few VJ members have found out at some expense. So, if you get pulled over, and the cop asks, "Where are you living now, and how long have you been living there?", make sure your honest answer is not more that ten days, if you are driving with anything other than a California license.

Well, there may be some conflicting information but DMV/State Law will be enforced if broker. Dont forget, A Drives License is a privilage not a requirement.

This is an area I have looked into prior my wife's arrival. NY.. and I requested my wife to obtain an international permit prior her departure from Brazil.

If you are a resident of the State of New York, you are required to obtain a DL within 30 days [sucks]. However [see, is always a way], if you are not able to provide the required documents to obtain a DL[due to AOS process] then, the state will wake the 30 days and allow you more time until you proof/have the required document, in our case when the status change.

Now, the trick is.. If you are driving with a foreign license you must have with you, your passport, "Valid Visa" and a legal translated license, or an International Permit. If a police officer stops you and cant read your foreign language you are subject to fines. If you dont have proof of legalization, well make sure you are not driving in Texas..

BTW, if you get pull over, dont lie to the cops..

Edited by DoneWaiting

"Peace is not the product of terror or fear. Peace is not the silence of cemeteries. Peace is not the silent result of violent repression. Peace is the generous, tranquil contribution of all to the good of all. Peace is dynamism. Peace is generosity. It is right and it is duty." -- NAPF page on Oscar Romero

Wife'sTime Line My link

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

2 choices:

1. Take Bob's advice and prepare for a lengthy and expensive court battle if you are issued a citation for driving w/out a license and/or get into an accident and your insurance company fails to pay out when they claim you are not a licensed driver
  2. Follow the laws of your state and the advice that so many others have provided here.

It is your choice to believe what you want - I prefer the least risky path, but that's just me.

Edited by rsn

K1: 01/15/2009 (mailed I-129F) - 06/23/2009 (visa received)

AOS: 08/08/2009 (mailed I-485, I-765, & I-131) - 10/29/2009 (received GC)

I read on the Texas state DMV website that i can drive up to one year with my foreign driver's license, so at least now i know that!

01/12/2011: GreenCard approved!!!!

Green card expiration date: 01/05/2013
Sent ROC package to VSC: 11/16/2012
NOA1: 11/20/2012

Approval: 04/29/2013!!!!

event.png

The K-1 is a Non-immigrant Visa (i.e read as non-residents) there for are just "like a tourist" and not considered a resident of any state and so the residence law does not apply, as post above me

"or any other privilege or benefit not ordinarily extended to nonresidents."

So get a translation and make sure you have your passport with you at all times. If you get pulled over just show the passport (all your other docs as well) and tell the cop that you are here on a non-immigrant visa and you are currently living with your husband to be. Once you get married then I have no idea on what happens then...

Alex A

----------------------------

9/16/2009 - Married

USCIS

1/22/2010 - I-130 sent

1/27/2010 - USPS tracking - Delivered, CHICAGO, IL 60680

2/02/2010 - NOA1

2/07/2010 - NOA1 - Hard copy

3/31/2010 - NOA2

4/1/2010 - NOA2 - Email & Text (~58 days)

4/5/2010 - NOA2 - Hard copy

NVC - Taking my time with it...

4/8/2010 - got NVC case # & gave them email address (~ 1 week)

4/13/2010 - Choice of Agent email from NVC (~ 5 days)

4/14/2010 - Email sent to NVC with "Choice of Agent

4/19/2010 - NVC email confirming "Choice of Agent" email (~5 days)

4/20/2010 - NVC email with AOS and IV bill

4/23/2010 - AOS fee paid & package send

4/26/2010 - IV fee paid

5/21/2010 - IV pack mailed to NVC

5/28/2010 - NVC received IV packet

6/10/2010 - SIF & RFE (for PCC different for Sir Lanka)

6/11/2010 - CC (with RFE)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

The K-1 is a Non-immigrant Visa (i.e read as non-residents) there for are just "like a tourist" and not considered a resident of any state and so the residence law does not apply, as post above me

"or any other privilege or benefit not ordinarily extended to nonresidents."

So get a translation and make sure you have your passport with you at all times. If you get pulled over just show the passport (all your other docs as well) and tell the cop that you are here on a non-immigrant visa and you are currently living with your husband to be. Once you get married then I have no idea on what happens then...

The difficulty is that it is not as simple as that. Some state's definitions of "you are a resident of this state if ...", particularly those with a large and tacitly tolerated population of illegal immigrants (I'm looking at you, Utah and California! :)) are intentionally constructed with no consideration whatsoever for whether or not a person has federally-approved legal presence in the US. An illegal alien, or "undocumented immigrant" may very well be a resident of Utah, for the purposes of the DMV.

Per: http://publicsafety.utah.gov/dld/acceptable_id.html#residence

Right at the bottom...

If you are an undocumented Immigrant in the United States, you must provide the following documentation to obtain a Driving Privilege Card (DPC) or Learner Permit:

Utah Residency Verification if different than current Utah Driver License record (must provide two)

Must display the applicant's name and principal Utah residence address which may include:

Bank Statement (dated within 60 days);

Court documents;

Current mortgage or rental contract;

Major credit card bill (dated within 60 days);

Property tax notice (statement or receipt dated within one year);

School transcript (dated within 90 days);

Utility bill (billing date within 60 days), (cell phone bills will not be accepted);

Valid Utah vehicle registration or title;

Other documents acceptable to the Division upon review, except that only one document printed from the internet will be accepted.

Notice the use of the term "Utah Residency". If an illegal alien can be a resident of Utah for the purposes of the DMV, then a K-1 entrant with no real documentation can certainly be as well. And if a K-1 entrant with no real documentation is a state resident, they had therefore definitely better pay attention to what state laws say about whether and when state residents require local state driver licenses.

DON'T PANIC

"It says wonderful things about the two countries [Canada and the US] that neither one feels itself being inundated by each other's immigrants."

-Douglas Coupland

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.