53 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

What part of you stating a claim (See quoted section) won't get paid if they are in an accident do you think I do not understand? You did not say the company MIGHT NOT PAY.

There is no misinterpretation. You were using what you felt would be an uninsured accident as an example. Your example is not correct. There are very very few times I put my foot down on this forum or anywhere else about being right. This is one of them.

Says you. Sounds like you're making some assumptions as well. So glad you put your foot down. Kindly pick it back up and move on.

K1: 01/15/2009 (mailed I-129F) - 06/23/2009 (visa received)

AOS: 08/08/2009 (mailed I-485, I-765, & I-131) - 10/29/2009 (received GC)

I took my fiancee to the California DMV the first week she arrived in the US. The CA DMV said they didn't consider her a resident until she had legal status as an immigrant. If we got a CDL it would have an expire date the same as the i-94.

She wouldn't be able to get the date changed on the license until a green card was issued (so the DMV person told me). So between the date on the i-94 and green card comes she wouldn't be able to drive. However, she told me the Korean license she had was valid and she could drive. It was just up to me to make sure she was insured.....

I asked about the conflicts with the 10 rule... and she just shrugged, "she isn't recognized until she has green card".

Was I talking to an idiot? (My wife has been driving for almost 3 months now with her Korean license).

I-129F Sent : 2009-09-02
I-129F NOA1 : 2009-09-04
I-129F NOA2 : 2010-01-04
NVC Received : 2010-01-12
Consulate Received : 2010-01-20
Packet 3 Received : 2010-01-20
Packet 4 Received : 2010-01-22
Interview Date : 2010-02-16
Interview Result : Approved
Visa Received : 2010-02-18
US Entry : 2010-03-02
Marriage : 2010-04-21
AOS Date Filed : 2010-05-29
AOS NOA Date : 2010-06-07
Bio. Appt. : 2010-12-01
Interview Date : 2011-01-12
Approval Date : 2011-01-12
Got I551 Stamp : No
Green Card: 2011-01-22

Lifting Cond Filed: 2012-11-06

Lifting Cond NOA: 2012-11-09

Lifting Cond Bio: 2012-11-30 (early @ 2012-11-28)

Lifting Cond Approval: 2013-05-28

Lifting Cond Card: *waiting*

Filed: Other Timeline

I'm sick of this nonsense.

O.P.,

you should get your license as quickly as possible. It will be possible as soon as you have your Green Card.

To some of the other naysayers,

if you travel to Manila, Monaco, or Mumbai, your driver license won't be in that country's language. You are still allowed to operate a motor vehicle. Once you become a resident of such country -- and have the documentation to prove it -- you can get another license. Same with the US of A. You can try to #### that up all you want, but I'm not participating in such hogwash any longer.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Italy
Timeline

Speaking with a human being through the DMV 1-800 number to obtain information is impossible, as nobody answers.

I scheduled an appointment for the summer (first available date), but I think I'll just go there tomorrow morning and ask in person.

btw, is the process of obtaining the SSN the same sort of pain in the a$$?

Speaking with a human being through the DMV 1-800 number to obtain information is impossible, as nobody answers.

I scheduled an appointment for the summer (first available date), but I think I'll just go there tomorrow morning and ask in person.

btw, is the process of obtaining the SSN the same sort of pain in the a$$?

Getting a SSN was very easy. Just go early in the morning. The whole process will take about an hour.

I-129F Sent : 2009-09-02
I-129F NOA1 : 2009-09-04
I-129F NOA2 : 2010-01-04
NVC Received : 2010-01-12
Consulate Received : 2010-01-20
Packet 3 Received : 2010-01-20
Packet 4 Received : 2010-01-22
Interview Date : 2010-02-16
Interview Result : Approved
Visa Received : 2010-02-18
US Entry : 2010-03-02
Marriage : 2010-04-21
AOS Date Filed : 2010-05-29
AOS NOA Date : 2010-06-07
Bio. Appt. : 2010-12-01
Interview Date : 2011-01-12
Approval Date : 2011-01-12
Got I551 Stamp : No
Green Card: 2011-01-22

Lifting Cond Filed: 2012-11-06

Lifting Cond NOA: 2012-11-09

Lifting Cond Bio: 2012-11-30 (early @ 2012-11-28)

Lifting Cond Approval: 2013-05-28

Lifting Cond Card: *waiting*

Filed: Timeline

I'm sick of this nonsense.

O.P.,

you should get your license as quickly as possible. It will be possible as soon as you have your Green Card.

To some of the other naysayers,

if you travel to Manila, Monaco, or Mumbai, your driver license won't be in that country's language. You are still allowed to operate a motor vehicle. Once you become a resident of such country -- and have the documentation to prove it -- you can get another license. Same with the US of A. You can try to #### that up all you want, but I'm not participating in such hogwash any longer.

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/196639-driving-in-california-a-warning-to-all-you-non-resident-newlyweds/page__view__findpost__p__2923895

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline
Says you. Sounds like you're making some assumptions as well. So glad you put your foot down. Kindly pick it back up and move on.

Yes, says me. Someone who DOES have a Casualty and Property insurance license. Someone who FURTHER clarified it with a claims person.

End of discussion as far as I am concerned.

Edited by Rob and Jill

"You don't marry someone you can live with, you marry the person you can't live without."

Mailed K-1 on 2-6-10

USCIS received packet on 2-8-10

NOA 1: Received 2-16-10

NOA 2: Approved 4-29-10 (72 Days)

NVC Forwarded Petition to London- 5-6-10

NVC Letter Received: 5-7-1010

London Received Packet: 5-14-10

London Mailed Packet to Rob: 5-18-10

Packet 3 Received by Rob: 5-22-2010

Packet 3 paperwork mailed to Rob 6-12-10

Medical- July 8, 2010

Everything mailed to Embassy 7-19-10

Interview Date: 9-14-10- Approved pending non-machine washed replacement passport.

Entry to US- 10-6-10 POE- Newark

Wedding- 10-23-10

AOS

Mailed AOS paperwork to the Chicago lockbox 1-7-11

Delivery Notification 1-10-11

Text stating application was received 1-20-11

Check Cashed 1-21-11

NOA 1 received 1-22-11

Biometrics letter received 1-29--11

Biometrics appointment 2-24-11

Received notice- I-485 has been transferred to the California Service Center 2-9-11.

3-11-11 - EAD production ordered

3-19-11- EAD Received

3-31-2011- AOS approved without interview

Filed: Other Country: Afghanistan
Timeline

I took my fiancee to the California DMV the first week she arrived in the US. The CA DMV said they didn't consider her a resident until she had legal status as an immigrant. If we got a CDL it would have an expire date the same as the i-94.

She wouldn't be able to get the date changed on the license until a green card was issued (so the DMV person told me). So between the date on the i-94 and green card comes she wouldn't be able to drive. However, she told me the Korean license she had was valid and she could drive. It was just up to me to make sure she was insured.....

I asked about the conflicts with the 10 rule... and she just shrugged, "she isn't recognized until she has green card".

Was I talking to an idiot? (My wife has been driving for almost 3 months now with her Korean license).

Well because of the conflicts between the laws of State Residency and the fact that the State generally won't accept that you are a US resident until you have EAD or similar....it basically means that most K1 holders can only drive for ten days and then are pedestrians for at least a month or two..so...........

My unofficial advice is that you approach the situation like this. Consider yourself a non resident of the state until you have a DL. If stopped give your address abroad. Run this by your insurance co. first and make sure they are onboard and that the conversation has been recorded.

After all the K1 is a try it out visa right? :lol:

Edited by Sousuke

Timeline

Breaking news from the DMV:

I finally got to talk on the phone to a nice lady who gave me the following information: she confirmed that I am considered a resident if I vote, have a mortgage, pay rent, work, etc., all of which doesn't apply to me bc I don't vote, don't pay rent, don't have a mortgage, don't work, etc.

So she concluded that I am not a resident and that I don't need a CDL, and that I can apply later on once I also have a SSN (she said they request it).

In the meantime I can use my license as long as it is valid.

I mean, for sure I don't want to test the veracity of her statements by being pulled over, but what can I do other than trust the DMV?

Filed: Other Country: Afghanistan
Timeline

Breaking news from the DMV:

I finally got to talk on the phone to a nice lady who gave me the following information: she confirmed that I am considered a resident if I vote, have a mortgage, pay rent, work, etc., all of which doesn't apply to me bc I don't vote, don't pay rent, don't have a mortgage, don't work, etc.

So she concluded that I am not a resident and that I don't need a CDL, and that I can apply later on once I also have a SSN (she said they request it).

In the meantime I can use my license as long as it is valid.

I mean, for sure I don't want to test the veracity of her statements by being pulled over, but what can I do other than trust the DMV?

Just don't give a CA address if your pulled over. The cop won't care what the DMV said.

• 4 weeks later...
Timeline

Thank you for all your answers. I think I won't drive until I get a CDL. I can't afford to go to court at this point, I don't want to end up with a conviction for a misdemeanor (this is what driving without a valid license is) which could possibly affect my subsequent AOS and for sure my admission to the Bar Association.

Too much of a risk, although living in Southern California I would really need to drive.

The funny thiung is that I've been driving for more than 12 years in Europe, never had an accident, never got a ticket, and got my license in a place where the exam is surely harder than the one here in California.

Ridiculous, but it's the law.

I have come to Washington State from England and have been here since June 4th. According to the Washington State Licensing webpage I have to get a new license within 30 days of establishing residency as my UK license is invalid here. The problem is while I have been driving in the UK for 5 years with a UK driving license, I've never driven a left hand drive car on the opposite side of the road (right to UK's left). If I can't legally drive in Washington, how can I 'prepare for a driving test' properly, and how is it even feasible that I should feel comfortable to drive here within 30 days? Given that I technically can't drive here on my driving license because it's invalid because I've moved here and I'm not vacationing...

I haven't got my green card yet - we haven't got married yet, that's on 31st of July. Haven't got a social security number either. Therefore I'm technically not a 'resident'... but according to the WA page you have those 30 days...

I'd really appreciate some advice as I have no idea on what the best thing to do is.

I have come to Washington State from England and have been here since June 4th. According to the Washington State Licensing webpage I have to get a new license within 30 days of establishing residency as my UK license is invalid here. The problem is while I have been driving in the UK for 5 years with a UK driving license, I've never driven a left hand drive car on the opposite side of the road (right to UK's left). If I can't legally drive in Washington, how can I 'prepare for a driving test' properly, and how is it even feasible that I should feel comfortable to drive here within 30 days? Given that I technically can't drive here on my driving license because it's invalid because I've moved here and I'm not vacationing...

I haven't got my green card yet - we haven't got married yet, that's on 31st of July. Haven't got a social security number either. Therefore I'm technically not a 'resident'... but according to the WA page you have those 30 days...

I'd really appreciate some advice as I have no idea on what the best thing to do is.

I would personally consider myself a visitor at this point and drive on my UK license. My husband drove on his UK license, just like he had always done when he visited before. If stopped for a driving related offense, tell them you are visiting, especially while your 90 day I-94 is valid. Don't get into the K1 and visa talk because state and local cops do not study federal immigration law and will not have a clue what you're talking about. This piece of advice is based on "hindsight is 20-20" because of my husband being stopped by the highway patrol.

"Are you visiting?"

"I live here now."

"How long?"

"Two months."

"State law says you have to get the Texas license within 30 days."

"I've been to the office twice, I can't get a license until I get an EAD or green card."

"I've never heard of that."

"They actually changed the rule October first, the day I arrived. A week earlier and I could have had a license."

and so began a long roadside explantion of the entire visa journey and why he couldn't get a license. It ended with a citation for speeding, but he crossed out the part about failure to have a license because he finally took our word for the license bit. He did say he was going by the office the next day and ask them if what we said was true

I think this would have been alot easier:

"Are you visiting?"

"Yes, from England."

"Well be more careful. Have a nice day."

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

I would personally consider myself a visitor at this point and drive on my UK license. My husband drove on his UK license, just like he had always done when he visited before. If stopped for a driving related offense, tell them you are visiting, especially while your 90 day I-94 is valid. Don't get into the K1 and visa talk because state and local cops do not study federal immigration law and will not have a clue what you're talking about. This piece of advice is based on "hindsight is 20-20" because of my husband being stopped by the highway patrol.

"Are you visiting?"

"I live here now."

"How long?"

"Two months."

"State law says you have to get the Texas license within 30 days."

"I've been to the office twice, I can't get a license until I get an EAD or green card."

"I've never heard of that."

"They actually changed the rule October first, the day I arrived. A week earlier and I could have had a license."

and so began a long roadside explantion of the entire visa journey and why he couldn't get a license. It ended with a citation for speeding, but he crossed out the part about failure to have a license because he finally took our word for the license bit. He did say he was going by the office the next day and ask them if what we said was true

I think this would have been alot easier:

"Are you visiting?"

"Yes, from England."

"Well be more careful. Have a nice day."

I can see where you are coming from. I just get the feeling they'd check or not believe me or what not. But that is a more logical solution.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.