dgubnet

Divorce affect on current visa

22 posts in this topic

Hi, I've been married to a philippina for 2.5 years, she just recently was able to come over in Dec 2009. Turns out she apparently doesn't want to stay married to such a degree, we haven't been intimate and there's been no sign of affection from her since she arrived.

If I file for divorce and it goes through, will her visa be revoked?

Filed: Country:
Timeline

Once you are divorced her K-3 should be invalidated as it is for the Spouse of a USC.

Have you spoken to her about why she is being like this?

You have the fortunate situation of not having to file for AOS right away unless you need her to work. If you love her then why not try to work it out using the validity time of her K-3?

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

Hi, I've been married to a philippina for 2.5 years, she just recently was able to come over in Dec 2009. Turns out she apparently doesn't want to stay married to such a degree, we haven't been intimate and there's been no sign of affection from her since she arrived.

If I file for divorce and it goes through, will her visa be revoked?

A K3 visa holder's visa becomes invalid 30 days after final divorce decree but it's not likely anybody is going to come looking for her. If it's a CR1 visa in her passport, different story. Which visa does she actually have?

Edited by pushbrk

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

We were married in the philippines and she arrived here in Dec 2009 on a K3 visa. Not a fiance visa ( K1 ).

I do love her, but from what she is saying, she was pressured into marrying me by her family members for financial reasons, and that being said, I blame her as well for going along with it. I met her thru her aunt who has been married to a friend of mine for 10 years, and when I went there to marry her, she "claimed" it was love.

Since she's been here though, she's shown me no real affection and most days it's like she doesn't even want to be in the same room. Also, we've not been intimate since she arrived and she doesn't even like me to touch her. btw - I'm not some ugly looking dude, I'm have way decent... lol

Her cousin also lives nearby ( who is illegal ) and she has moved to her cousin's house. Now I asked her if this was just a seperation or is her intention to never come back. All she'll say is "let's see where this takes us..."

My fear is that she's not directly answering the question because she's afraid I'll divorce her and it will impact her visa.

Believe me there is nothing I would prefer than to stay married to her. But keep in mind that my kindness has been taken advantage of here and I'm very hurt because of it.

If she doesn't have her green card yet (no AOS submitted), then she needs to leave the country within 30 days after the divorce is final.

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

Filed: Country: Romania
Timeline

We were married in the philippines and she arrived here in Dec 2009 on a K3 visa. Not a fiance visa ( K1 ).

I do love her, but from what she is saying, she was pressured into marrying me by her family members for financial reasons, and that being said, I blame her as well for going along with it. I met her thru her aunt who has been married to a friend of mine for 10 years, and when I went there to marry her, she "claimed" it was love.

Since she's been here though, she's shown me no real affection and most days it's like she doesn't even want to be in the same room. Also, we've not been intimate since she arrived and she doesn't even like me to touch her. btw - I'm not some ugly looking dude, I'm have way decent... lol

Her cousin also lives nearby ( who is illegal ) and she has moved to her cousin's house. Now I asked her if this was just a seperation or is her intention to never come back. All she'll say is "let's see where this takes us..."

My fear is that she's not directly answering the question because she's afraid I'll divorce her and it will impact her visa.

Believe me there is nothing I would prefer than to stay married to her. But keep in mind that my kindness has been taken advantage of here and I'm very hurt because of it.

I'm sorry that I cannot give you an answer about her immigration situation. I read your message and I wanted to say that I am sorry you are getting rejected like this. I am struck by the fact that you want nothing more than to still be married to her. I think we all deserve to be respected and treated accordingly. Best.

Filed: Country:
Timeline

Well you do have an option of using the validity time of the K-3 to work things out between you but I would caution you to not file for Adjustment of Status unless you are sure the relationship is on the mend.

How well did you know her when you married? If you think that she just needs time to get to know you then invite her to move back in (even if you sleep separately) and try to build a friendship first.

Honestly though, if she won't even give the marriage a chance then why are you waiting around? I'd file for the divorce if she won't live under the same roof and at least try to get to know you.

As I indicated, we met through her aunt. As for our relationship being mended - it's really up to her. I've given more than most would have at a heavy cost. Not just financially, but emotionally as well. I've tried for 5 months to talk to her asking her to open her heart to me so to speak, but she just wouldn't.

Last week, I asked her again and gave her the choice. I indicated that she had the choice to talk it through with me, and if she was unwilling to then it would be best if she left. So she left. That was her choice.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

btw - she does have a green card because we were unable to get the visa originally unless we submitted an AOS.

Adjustment of Status occurs after the beneficiary enters the US, not at the embassy.

Did you submit both an I-129F petition and an I-130? It sounds like they acted on the I-130 and she received the CR1 spouse visa. If that's so then she has the green card and your divorce will have no impact on her immigration status.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

Adjustment of Status occurs after the beneficiary enters the US, not at the embassy.

Did you submit both an I-129F petition and an I-130? It sounds like they acted on the I-130 and she received the CR1 spouse visa. If that's so then she has the green card and your divorce will have no impact on her immigration status.

In this case by AOS he means Affidavit of Support. If she has a green card then the whole situation changes. If you've been married two years before she arrived, she's got everything she needs. If she only has a two-year green card instead of a ten year card, she can likely remove conditions on her own after any divorce, unless you have compelling enough information she entered the marriage fraudulently, compelling enough for USCIS to make a case that sticks and deport her.

You can disregard everything else we told you based on a K3 visa. She must have arrived on a CR1 or IR1 visa. How long had you been married on the day she entered the USA?

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

In this case by AOS he means Affidavit of Support. If she has a green card then the whole situation changes. If you've been married two years before she arrived, she's got everything she needs. If she only has a two-year green card instead of a ten year card, she can likely remove conditions on her own after any divorce, unless you have compelling enough information she entered the marriage fraudulently, compelling enough for USCIS to make a case that sticks and deport her.

You can disregard everything else we told you based on a K3 visa. She must have arrived on a CR1 or IR1 visa. How long had you been married on the day she entered the USA?

Yes, I've got AOS = Adjustment of Status imprinted on my brain.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Filed: Other Timeline

I'm not sure I'm understanding this correctly, so let me ask:

You married a woman from the Philippines without really getting to know her first. You did not have a single sexual encounter before proposing to her. You didn't have sex with her on your wedding night. You've been married to her for 2-1/2 years now, still without even a single sexual encounter. She doesn't like you very much, she doesn't want to touch her, so you never touched her. You paid for everything, you got her the all-important Green Card, yet not a single sexual encounter to this day. Now she left you, having gotten everything she could have wanted, and you didn't have sex with her even once in all these years?

Tell you what, if somebody told me that story I wouldn't believe it, not in a million years.

Oftentimes, people get fooled. The way I see it, that's not the case here. It's almost like you begged her to take you for everything and give you nothing in return.

Well, to answer your question, she's free now, can divorce you, can become a US citizen, and can petition the next guy from the Philippines immediately afterward. This would be a fantastic post for April fools' day. Too late now, in more than one way.

For you only one thing remains: if you ever buy a new car, test drive it before paying for it. Make absolutely sure it's the right car for you. Don't trust your relative's judgment, YOU and only YOU can find that out. If the car doesn't feel perfectly good to you, don't buy it, look for another one. You can't change the past, but you can learn from your mistakes.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

I'm not sure I'm understanding this correctly, so let me ask:

You married a woman from the Philippines without really getting to know her first. You did not have a single sexual encounter before proposing to her. You didn't have sex with her on your wedding night. You've been married to her for 2-1/2 years now, still without even a single sexual encounter. She doesn't like you very much, she doesn't want to touch her, so you never touched her. You paid for everything, you got her the all-important Green Card, yet not a single sexual encounter to this day. Now she left you, having gotten everything she could have wanted, and you didn't have sex with her even once in all these years?

Tell you what, if somebody told me that story I wouldn't believe it, not in a million years.

Oftentimes, people get fooled. The way I see it, that's not the case here. It's almost like you begged her to take you for everything and give you nothing in return.

Well, to answer your question, she's free now, can divorce you, can become a US citizen, and can petition the next guy from the Philippines immediately afterward. This would be a fantastic post for April fools' day. Too late now, in more than one way.

For you only one thing remains: if you ever buy a new car, test drive it before paying for it. Make absolutely sure it's the right car for you. Don't trust your relative's judgment, YOU and only YOU can find that out. If the car doesn't feel perfectly good to you, don't buy it, look for another one. You can't change the past, but you can learn from your mistakes.

Weren't you the one belly-aching the other day about people 'criticizing' your relationship? :lol:

Really, the OP doesn't need a lecture.

Our journey together on this earth has come to an end.

I will see you one day again, my love.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

There are more helpful ways of offering advice to the OP than to make judgmental comments about their relationship. Please refrain from unhelpful comments - as Johnny Quest said, the OP didn't come here for a lecture.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.