3bvsla

My husband doesn't want to show up on the interview

18 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Russia
Timeline

My husband and I were living together for 2 years. Right before the interview our relationships got to the point where it's not working for us anymore.

So he says he won't show up on the interview.

So what kind of options do I have? Can I go there by myself?

PS: I'm posting this topic for my friend, my signature is NOT related to the topic.

Edited by 3bvsla

I-360 VAWA:

November 1 2008 filed.

November 21 2008 NOA1

November 25 2008 RFE #1 received [good faith + good moral character].

January 7 2009 RFE #1 sent back.

June 9 2009 received a letter "Response to RFE #1 received on JANUARY 13, and case processing has resumed"

August 17 2009 RFE #2 [good faith].

October 27 2009 RFE #2 sent out.

October 28 2009 Response to RFE #2 received, and case processing has resumed

October 29 2009 touched

December 30 2009 touched

December 31 2009 touched

February 8, 2010, APPROVED.

September 4, 2010 touched.

AOS:

March 18 2010 I-485 filed to VSC with a fee waiver.

March 22 2010 I-485 received.

April 13 2010 NOA1 with a "fee previously collected"

April 16 2010 touched. Biometrics appointment sent.

April 30 2010 Biometrics appointment date.

May 3 2010 Late biometrics done.

May 4 2010 touched.

June 26 2010 touched.

September 22 2010 case transferred to NBC.

September 23 2010 touched.

October 5 2010 case is transferred to USCIS office.

October 6 2010 touched.

October 8 2010 touched.

October 20 2010 touched. Interview notice date.

October 21 2010 touched.

October 22 2010 touched.

November 29 2010 interview date. Approved.

December 2 2010. Card production ordered.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Benin
Timeline

I don't think I could answer the question anyway, but I'm guessing no one can until they know some more about your friend's story. How did she come? Is this a removal of conditions? Or was she here out of status? Etc.

Hope someone is able to answer the questions. But I have to say, that they are written in first person really threw me off. I was trying to get an idea of the timeline and the one in your signature just didn't match the question. I didn't notice your PS at first.

AOS Timeline

4/14/10 - Packet received at Chicago Lockbox at 9:22 AM (Day 1)

4/24/10 - Received hardcopy NOAs (Day 10)

5/14/10 - Biometrics taken. (Day 31)

5/29/10 - Interview letter received 6/30 at 10:30 (Day 46)

6/30/10 - Interview: 10:30 (Day 77) APPROVED!!!

6/30/10 - EAD received in the mail

7/19/10 - GC in hand! (Day 96) .

Timeline

They just filed for the conditional green card. It's going to be their first interview.

She came to this country on a student visa a while ago.

She is out of status right now.

Edited by 3bvsla

I-360 VAWA:

November 1 2008 filed.

November 21 2008 NOA1

June 9 2009 received a letter "Response to RFE #1 received on JANUARY 13, and case processing has resumed"

October 29 2009 touched

December 30 2009 touched

December 31 2009 touched

AOS:

May 4 2010 touched.

June 26 2010 touched.

October 6 2010 touched.

October 8 2010 touched.

October 21 2010 touched.

October 22 2010 touched.

Timeline

Yes, they going to have a first AOS interview and he doesn't want to go.

They lived together, so she has a lot of proves of a good faith of marriage. Can she just go by herself with all the proves she has?

What are the consequences of his not showing up for her?

I-360 VAWA:

November 1 2008 filed.

November 21 2008 NOA1

October 29 2009 touched

December 30 2009 touched

December 31 2009 touched

AOS:

May 4 2010 touched.

June 26 2010 touched.

October 6 2010 touched.

October 8 2010 touched.

October 21 2010 touched.

October 22 2010 touched.

I am going to jump in on this discussion.

First interviews normally happen somewhere around 3 to 5 months after they have applied for AOS.

1. The SO must be divorced inorder for her to do the AOS without the US petitioner. So if their marriage is over, then the SO should be trying to attain a divorce so she can self petition for her own AOS.

2. There are many components that a CO will look at to judge if this marriage was entered into with good faith. So if their marriage has broken down within the first 3 to 5 months after being married, then the SO evidence will needs to be mighty strong.

According to the interview letter, if the AOS is based on marriage the USC must show up.

~*Relationship Info In Profile And Fiance(e) Visa/Adjustment of Status/Removal Of Conditions Info In My Timeline*~

Looking for your favourite Canadian foods that you can't find in the US?

Try this site! http://www.canadianfavourites.com/

First interviews normally happen somewhere around 3 to 5 months after they have applied for AOS.

1. The SO must be divorced inorder for her to do the AOS without the US petitioner. So if their marriage is over, then the SO should be trying to attain a divorce so she can self petition for her own AOS.

Incorrect. What would be the basis for the AOS if not married to an USC? Are you thinking of ROC? Unless there is some VAWA issue here, if the AOS is denied, that's it. She would have to leave the US - unless she maintained her student status (then her status would be that still)

2. There are many components that a CO will look at to judge if this marriage was entered into with good faith. So if their marriage has broken down within the first 3 to 5 months after being married, then the SO evidence will needs to be mighty strong.

This is true, with the sponsor/husband not showing up for the AOS interview, I doubt it would be granted, regardless if the marriage was entered in a bonafide manner (again, this is more related to ROC) - so this person is basically screwed.

My Advice is usually based on "Worst Case Scenario" and what is written in the rules/laws/instructions. That is the way I roll... -Protect your Status - file before your I-94 expires.

WARNING: Phrases in this post may sound meaner than they were intended to be. Read the Adjudicator's Field Manual from USCIS

Incorrect. What would be the basis for the AOS if not married to an USC? Are you thinking of ROC?

Unless there is some VAWA issue here
, if the AOS is denied, that's it. She would have to leave the US - unless she maintained her student status (then her status would be that still)

This is true, with the sponsor/husband not showing up for the AOS interview, I doubt it would be granted, regardless if the marriage was entered in a bonafide manner (again, this is more related to ROC) - so this person is basically screwed.

Bobbie, my first instict was to state what you have so eloquently stated that she is bascally screwed. But since I would be making many assumptions as to why this marriage had failed, I left it open to not mis-interpret what happen in this relationship.

So my answers were not directed to give the OP reasons she could use to de-fraud the system such as (VAWA or to stay in a non-working marriage) but the truth, if the marraiage was truly broken then she should divorce and try to self Petition for a CG based on whatever staus she will be in at that time. If her new status after the divorce doesn't allow her to AOS, then she is/will be basically screwed. I never said that if she self petioned based on a marriage to a USC it would work after geting a divorce.

I realized that I did leave out this statement that for a F1 On a student visa, you are able to apply for change of status. The most accepted change is F1 to H1B visa. Other options such as M-1 visas and H-3 visas are also available. If any of these are durable for the OP then this could be another option for the OP to be able to AOS.

I do apoligize for not making my agrument clearer.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

She is here on an EXPIRED Student visa. She has been accruing out of status days. How long has her status been expired? If it's more than 180 days but less than 365 then it's a 3 year ban. Over 365 days it's a 10 year ban.

I assume she is attempting to AOS to GC based on her marriage to a USC... not another visa category, therefore she MUST have her husband there at the interview. Failure for him to show up means she is denied.

IF she already had the GC and was going for ROC then YES she could have self-petitioned based on her "bonafide" relationship with a USC and subsequent divorce but as she is AOSing, not ROCing then she does not have the ability to self-petition. She NEEDS her USC husband.

So long story short, she is screwed if he does not attend and if he DOES attend and the GC is denied she will also be screwed. She will have deportation proceedings initiated against her, and on her leaving the US, her ban period will commence (if she's been out of status long enough to have one).

Edited by Vanessa&Tony

Incorrect. What would be the basis for the AOS if not married to an USC? Are you thinking of ROC? , if the AOS is denied, that's it. She would have to leave the US - unless she maintained her student status (then her status would be that still)

Bobbie, my first instict was to state what you have so eloquently stated that she is bascally screwed. But since I would be making many assumptions as to why this marriage had failed, I left it open to not mis-interpret what happen in this relationship.

So my answers were not directed to give the OP reasons she could use to de-fraud the system such as (VAWA or to stay in a non-working marriage) but the truth, if the marraiage was truly broken then she should divorce and try to self Petition for a CG based on whatever staus she will be in at that time. If her new status after the divorce doesn't allow her to AOS, then she is/will be basically screwed. I never said that if she self petioned based on a marriage to a USC it would work after geting a divorce.

I realized that I did leave out this statement that for a F1 On a student visa, you are able to apply for change of status. The most accepted change is F1 to H1B visa. Other options such as M-1 visas and H-3 visas are also available. If any of these are durable for the OP then this could be another option for the OP to be able to AOS.

I do apoligize for not making my agrument clearer.

That is a leap to state filing for VAWA is a way to "defraud" the system. We do not know what is going on in this situation, however, VAWA, if applicable, is a valid way for immigration. There may very well be a case for VAWA that the OP is not aware of this path. (certainly there are cases where VAWA is used to defraud, but they are found out in the inspection period)

If she divorces, as pointed out above, she has no way to continue this AOS (since it was based on marriage to an USC) - this was the only thing I was correcting in your post.

Plus - it appears that she did not maintain her student status, and it would be highly doubtful they would change it to an H1B. Most likely she will get a denial, then a letter telling her to leave the country. She could appeal it, but - that's a longshot.

*since it was a students visa, here I-94 probably states D/S, only an IJ can make that determination if she was out of status. (again, most likely - since she ended up getting married, then attempted to AOS.)

Edited by Bobby+Umit

My Advice is usually based on "Worst Case Scenario" and what is written in the rules/laws/instructions. That is the way I roll... -Protect your Status - file before your I-94 expires.

WARNING: Phrases in this post may sound meaner than they were intended to be. Read the Adjudicator's Field Manual from USCIS

Filed: Timeline

Sorry to hear about your case.

Basing on my experience if you go to the interview without your husband they will not allow you into the interview room. I initially filed with my USC husband and then the marriage failed due to domestic violence but for a while I did not go the VAWA way because I was really overwhelmed by the whole situation and in my mind I thought we could still work things out. Anyway to cut a long story short. I decided to go the VAWA way since I had all the evidence to prove he was abusive (police reports, etc) and whilst in the process I received my letter for AOS interview. A week before the interview, i received my "prima facie" notice which I then took to the interview. When the interviewing officer called my name, i stood up and walked towards her and as soon as she noticed that my husband was not with me, she immediately told(in front of other people) that she would not interview me because the interview was based on the marriage. I then had to let her know that I had filed an I-360 (VAWA) and had a prima facie notice with me and that's when she allowed me in the interview. Once she opened my file that is when she realized that I had filed the I-360 and it was still pending. So then she told me another interview would be based on the I-360 petition and I might need to file another I-485 which I never did. A few weeks later I received a letter saying that my husband's I-130 had been denied but my I-480 remained pending. Once my I-360 was approved I was then called for another interview and that interview was smooth and I was approved.

So I really don't know what to tell you, you know all our cases differ so much that sometimes its so hard to give anyone advice. You know with immigration you really have to have alot of proof to your claims. If you are not a victim of domestic violence then you cannot go the VAWA route. Maybe you can extend your student visa.

Good luck and I'm sorry you have to go through this. Believe me I know how stressful it is!

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: India
Timeline

If her husband is refusing to show up for the AOS interview, there's nothing she can do apart from packing up her bags.

This is an AOS interview, NOT a ROC interview, so she can't self-petition for anything.

03/27/2009: Engaged in Ithaca, New York.
08/17/2009: Wedding in Calcutta, India.
09/29/2009: I-130 NOA1
01/25/2010: I-130 NOA2
03/23/2010: Case completed.
05/12/2010: CR-1 interview at Mumbai, India.
05/20/2010: US Entry, Chicago.
03/01/2012: ROC NOA1.
03/26/2012: Biometrics completed.
12/07/2012: 10 year card production ordered.

09/25/2013: N-400 NOA1

10/16/2013: Biometrics completed

12/03/2013: Interview

12/20/2013: Oath ceremony

event.png

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Why won't he show up? What's the dealio ?

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.