babito

WORLD CUP or SUPER BOWL

64 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Kenya
Timeline

When the last super bowl was played, I joined my father-in-law and friends to watch the game. They all told me that it was the best sport in the world unlike my "soccer" what I have always known as football. With the World Cup coming up and the fever or excitement that goes around back home I fell so lost and lonely. Is there any 'outsider' out there looking for a place to vent out opinions on soccer or the coming world cup? Lets share stuff here

• 06/26/2019 - I-130 priority date
  • 01/08/2020 - I-130 approved
  • 04/02/2020 - DQ (Documentarily Qualified )
  • 07/07/2021 - Interview in Nairobi Kenya (approved)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

It's all a matter of taste so people should never say that one thing is better than the other, especially in soccer when 90% of the world's population think it is the greatest sport in the world.

To each his own I guess, but to say that American Football is better than soccer... that's a stretch. I enjoy both equally and don't know how someone can even say that.

Diana

CR-1

02/05/07 - I-130 sent to NSC

05/03/07 - NOA2

05/10/07 - NVC receives petition, case # assigned

08/08/07 - Case Complete

09/27/07 - Interview, visa granted

10/02/07 - POE

11/16/07 - Received green card and Welcome to America letter in the mail

Removing Conditions

07/06/09 - I-751 sent to CSC

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

10/01/09 - Received 10 year green card

U.S. Citizenship

03/30/11 - N-400 sent via Priority Mail w/ delivery confirmation

05/12/11 - Biometrics

07/20/11 - Interview - passed

07/20/11 - Oath ceremony - same day as interview

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Haiti
Timeline

Soccer is the greatest sport in the world. i call it football. Super bowl is boring and i don't get the point of the game....i hope brazil win this year. i've been a fan since i was a little kid. 1998 when they lost to france. i cried like a little baby.. USA need to be out of the game rapido.. who are you rooting for?? BRAZIL all the way!!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Italy
Timeline

I still don't understand American football! Hubby loves it. I think it's boring and it looks like a bunch of big guys jumping on each other for no reason (I know there are actual rules but that's what it looks like to me!). I hope the sports package he got for our cable bundle covers the World Cup, I am so excited especially because Italy won last time! :dance:

I have to say it's cool to watch the SuperBowl with friends and just eat finger food and drink. But up to 4 HOURS for a game, mmmmm that's way too much for me!

event.png

AOS Journey

Marriage: 2010-03-06

Date Filed: 2010-03-23

NOA: 2010-04-02 (via texts and emails)+check cashed

NOA1 in the mail: 2010-04-07

Bio Appointment letter: 04/29 (FINALLY!!!!)

Bio Appointment: scheduled 05/24, walk-in on 05/03, yay!

**Touch on AOS and EAD: 05/03 and 05/04

Interview notice: 05/14, dated 05/11. It's for 06/17

EAD and AP approved: 06/03

**Touch on EAD and AP: 06/04

**Touch on AP: 06/07

**Touch on EAD and 2nd card production ordered: 06/08

**Touch on EAD: 06/09

AP received: 06/09

**Touch on EAD: 06/11. 3rd approval email received!

EAD received: 06/11 step 2 of 3 completed!

Interview scheduled: 06/17 @ 915 am APPROVED and card production ordered same day!!!!

Welcome letter received:06/21

2nd email Green Card production ordered:06/22

**Touch on AOS:06/23

3rd email received, blue dot went to post decision: 06/30

Tik tok tik tok....GREEN CARD IN HAND: 07/02!!!!!Less than a year since filing for the k1!

K1 Journey

I-129F Sent: 2009-08-12

I-129F NOA1: 2009-08-14

I-129F NOA2: 2009-10-29

Packet 3 Received: 2009-11-17

Interview: 2010-02-16, approved, visa the same day!

POE: 2010-03-03 @ LAX

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Soccer, exciting? :blink:

Give me hockey, give me American football any day of the week over soccer. Hell, baseball can be more exciting than soccer many a times.

nfrsig.jpg

The Great Canadian to Texas Transfer Timeline:

2/22/2010 - I-129F Packet Mailed

2/24/2010 - Packet Delivered to VSC

2/26/2010 - VSC Cashed Filing Fee

3/04/2010 - NOA1 Received!

8/14/2010 - Touched!

10/04/2010 - NOA2 Received!

10/25/2010 - Packet 3 Received!

02/07/2011 - Medical!

03/15/2011 - Interview in Montreal! - Approved!!!

There seems to be more attention given to the World Cup here than I remember seeing (with the possible exception of when the US hosted it in '94, but of course that was back in the old days before the Internet and a zillion TV channels). I'm not sure if this is because expectations are higher for the US team than they've been in the past, or that the US & England are in the same group...or something else. I'm looking forward to it. We'll be in England for part of it, so that should be fun.

I'm hoping to see Cristiano Ronaldo burst into tears at least once.

K-1

March 7, 2005: I-129F NOA1

September 20, 2005: K-1 Interview in London. Visa received shortly thereafter.

AOS

December 30, 2005: I-485 received by USCIS

May 5, 2006: Interview at Phoenix district office. Approval pending FBI background check clearance. AOS finally approved almost two years later: February 14, 2008.

Received 10-year green card February 28, 2008

Your Humble Advice Columnist, Joyce

Come check out the most happenin' thread on VJ: Dear Joyce

Click here to see me visiting with my homebodies.

[The grooviest signature you've ever seen is under construction!]

There seems to be more attention given to the World Cup here than I remember seeing (with the possible exception of when the US hosted it in '94, but of course that was back in the old days before the Internet and a zillion TV channels). I'm not sure if this is because expectations are higher for the US team than they've been in the past, or that the US & England are in the same group...or something else. I'm looking forward to it. We'll be in England for part of it, so that should be fun.

I'm hoping to see Cristiano Ronaldo burst into tears at least once.

I agree with this - I feel more excitement about this year than ever before. True fact: the ratings for the USA-Honduras qualifier last June was higher than the Stanley Cup final game (Detroit vs. Pittsburgh) that was played at the same time. Also, premiere league football has tripled ad revenue in the past 5 years in the US. The sport is definitely growing in popularity even if it will only be a niche sport.

I love college football but am bored by NFL. Love football (soccer) and will cheer loudly if we can beat England. Understand I want England to win the world cup (because unlike the US I think they can, though they probably won't)but I want the US to beat them in the group stage. It would be so satisfying.

90day.jpg

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I love the World Cup and find it way more exciting than football. Most of my friends back in Canada come from diverse ethnic backgrounds, so it all seems like we cheer for different teams, so that makes it fun. My husband is a Naturalized USC who was born in England, so it should be interesting for him. He loves football and is a die hard Arsenal fan, so I am sure that he will be wearing the red and white (and not the blue) come World Cup!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Haiti
Timeline

yes soccer is exciting. baseball and football is not more exciting. it's boring and pointless. italy didn't deserve to win, stupid zidane. we all know that's not going to happen again this time

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Sweden
Timeline

Soccer, exciting? :blink:

Give me hockey, give me American football any day of the week over soccer. Hell, baseball can be more exciting than soccer many a times.

:thumbs:

Having watched soccer EVERY Saturday from early afternoon to late evening for years growing up I will say that I am bored beyond belief with the sport. The only bonus was the candy and snacks that were served. Other than that it is just 45 minutes x 2 of boredom.... I'll take American football and hockey over soccer any day. Guess my attention span doesn't stretch more than 20 minutes at a time. :whistle:

05-02-2004 Met in Östersund, Sweden
09-07-2007 Got married in Eden Gardens State Park, Santa Rosa Beach, FL

*************************************************************************************************

AOS

11-02-2007 - Filed

03-14-2008 - Green Card received

*************************************************************************************************

Lifting of Conditions

02-08-2010 - Filed

06-21-2010 - Green Card received

N-400

06-24-2017 - N-400 package sent via EFile

06-24-2017 - Payment received via credit card

07-01-2017 - Appointment notice received

07-19-2017 - Biometrics appointment in Atlanta, GA

08-04-2017 - Case updated. Interview scheduled. 

"Whither thou goest I will go, whither thou lodgest I will lodge,
Thy people shall be my people, And thy God my God." ~ Ruth 1:16

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Kenya
Timeline

See and read an interesting piece of news related to world cup. It just made my day http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/8669040.stm - "South Africa's police chief is hoping the US team are knocked out of the football World Cup early on - to avoid a visit by President Barack Obama. General Cele said his forces were equal to the task of providing security"

• 06/26/2019 - I-130 priority date
  • 01/08/2020 - I-130 approved
  • 04/02/2020 - DQ (Documentarily Qualified )
  • 07/07/2021 - Interview in Nairobi Kenya (approved)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Chile
Timeline

Im from new orleans the current world champs of football.. took us 43 years to get to the game.

you can not like football and still respect it.. im not a fan of soccer but i can still respect the game..

as far as excitement i know im bias on the issue but football is always played on a razor thin line.

in the blink of a eye and a mistake by one of the greatest players in the game the colts went from a drive to maybe tie the game to GAME OVER!.

Video of the play that sealed the game for new orleans

here is a video of the winning kick that sent us to the big game.. (a rookie kicker)

football can some down to one play.. you make it you win.. you make miss you lose.. soccer because you can only score 1 point you cant ever get that.

it would be like if a goalie could block a ball and kick it in his goal at the same time..

football can some down to one play.. you make it you win.. you make miss you lose.. soccer because you can only score 1 point you cant ever get that.

Not getting into the whole advocacy debate since I love both games for different reasons. My question is, do you really believe the above point? if you do, you've not watched much football (soccer).

Can't @#$%!)( wait for the world cup. Coming from Northen Ireland we've not been there many times, I default to England. what will be interesting, is to see if Messi can finally turn it on for Argentina the way he does for Barcelona.

USCIS & NVC

05-04-09 - Married

09-05-09 - I130 Approved (CSC)

12-09-09 - Case Completed (NVC)

01-08-10 - Approved (LND)

01-20-10 - PoE PHL

I-751

01-10-12 - Filed I-751, VT Service Center

01-17-12 - NOA1

02-08-12 - Biometrics at Alexandria, Va

10-04-12 - RFE

11-16-12 - Sent additional evidence (5.5lbs of evidence!)

12-04-12 - Approved

12-10-12 - Card arrived

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: England
Timeline

To go back to the original name of the thread, it'd be more apt to compare the Superbowl with the FA Cup final (back in the pre-champions league days when the whole country stopped for the cup final) rather than with the World Cup, because the WC is a month long tournament, and the SB is a one-off event.

Anyway, with regard to the two sports, I'm fortunate enough to love them both (and baseball). Soccer will always be my fist love because I was brought up on it, but I do love my NFL Sunday.

As far as the World Cup is concerned, only the Olympics compare in terms of sporting enourmity. I've always felt very sorry for the average American, because whilst the rest of the world rejoices in this truly global festival, Americans just don't get it and totally miss out.

Edited by Damian P

Naturalization Timeline:

Event

Service Center : Phoenix AZ Lockbox

CIS Office : Saint Louis MO

Date Filed : 2014-06-11

NOA Date : 2014-06-16

Bio. Appt. :

Interview Date :

Approved :

Oath Ceremony :

Comments :

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.