songbird

GC not received after two years: is this normal?

18 posts in this topic

Hello Everyone,

I am new to the site and I decided to finally share our problems (my husband and i) with the world, hoping somebody could give light to our situation. I have yet to see someone who is in a similar situation as us. (:

My US citizen husband and I got married in the summer of 2008. I came to the country through a K-1 visa. We filed all the necessary requirements right after the wedding...and waited...and waited...and until now still patiently waiting. My EAD card has expired last year and I don't have any IDs with me or anything that would at least make me go on a trip. (You know how they check IDs in airports). I initially sent my papers to the service center in Chicago, got a notice after a few months informing me that they sent my papers to California. I was very hopeful at this moment. After a few months, I again got a notice from California telling me that they sent my papers to Vermont in February of 2009. Until now, it's been almost two years, I have not received my GC or any letter asking for additional proof (if they need it). I believe we have sent it all the requirements we were asked to do. My husband and I dated for 5 years, long distance, before we got married. And we are so happy together, but the pending of my status is giving us problems greater that we have encountered in our 7 years together. We are holding on...and praying that this will be solved soon.

We plan to go home to my home country in August. We asked ourselves whether we'd take the risk of going home and using the advance parole to travel, but we both don't know if it would make me come back in the country. I don't know what to do anymore. We don't want to be far from each other, even for a day. (You see, our bond is stronger when we're together...hehe). I also applied for the renewal of my EAD right after it expired, and they're also making me wait. I've been waiting for it since February. I didn't know I could be this patient. But to be with my husband is worth more than anything to me. Sigh. I wish USCIS will make it easier for us because we're just two people in love. We just moved in to our new home and will be starting a family with kids soon, but we don't want our kids to have to go through this with us. It's time VSC.(:

Anybody here in a similar situation as us? Or does anybody have an advice? We both don't know much about how these things work, so we put our trust to the office that has our papers, hoping they know what to do. (:

You would perhaps best benefit from making an infopass appointment to speak with someone in person. Your situation doesn't sound 'normal' in the least.

http://infopass.uscis.gov/

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

You would perhaps best benefit from making an infopass appointment to speak with someone in person. Your situation doesn't sound 'normal' in the least.

I agree. This doesn't sound normal at all. Call and make an infopass, at the very least to make sure your Advanced Parole is still valid (in case the greencard takes time).

I also read once that getting your senator or congressman involved can help too. I think I read a case recently similar to yours and she got the greencard not too much later.

Also, you should get your 10 year greencard (meaning no removal of conditions needed) because it's been so long. Make sure you mention that at the infopass to make sure that you get the 10 year one (after 2 years of marriage it's a 10 year card)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Iran
Timeline

This is a case where I recommend contacting a representative. You should have heard something by now even if it was a "your case requires additional processing". Make an infopass appointment and have them make a service request on the AOS and also on the renewal for the EAD.

try and get an infopass appointment and talk to a representative there but also you had mentioned that you recently moved?...i would suggest that you give them you current address too so you will still receive your mail :star:

USCIS

09/24/2009: I-30 sent for both parents via USPS EXPRESS

09/28/2009: I-130 RCVD BY USCIS

02/18/2010: Approved

NVC

02/26/2010: Got case #s from NVC via operator

03/05/2010: Registered email addresses & sent DS-3032 via email

03/06/2010: Rcvd DS-3032 confirmation

03/09/2010: Rcvd AOS & IV Fee Bill via email

03/10/2010: Paid AOS Fee Bill online

03/11/2010: AOS Fee Bill shows PAID

03/12/2010: Paid IV Fee Bill online

03/15/2010: IV Fee Bill shows PAID & Sent I-864 via ExpressMail

03/16/2010: Sent DS-230 via ExpressMail

03/17/2010: NVC rcvd I-864

03/18/2010: NVC rcvd DS-230

03/22/2010: NVC has I-864 & DS-230 on file per AVR

03/30/2010: Sign in failed!

03/31/2010: Case Completed per AVR

04/13/2010: Got interview date via NVC operator & Rcvd appointment letter via email

04/19/2010: Case forwarded to USEM Manila per AVR

04/22/2010: Case rcvd by embassy

05/21/2010: Interview - USEM Manila@8:30am MOVED UP TO MAY 4TH@7AM!!!<--APPROVED!

05/18/2010: Visa in hand(delivered by Air21@8:05am)

05/19/2010: Obtained CFO stickers w/o apperance or seminar

05/22/2010: POE Honolulu, Hawaii =)

f3bc892a3fc877a78c24e70ffd1873c2.jpg

Will do it definitely. We have not heard about Infopass until I use this site. We really gave USCIS enough time. Thank you very much. We truly appreciate it.

I agree. This doesn't sound normal at all. Call and make an infopass, at the very least to make sure your Advanced Parole is still valid (in case the greencard takes time).

I also read once that getting your senator or congressman involved can help too. I think I read a case recently similar to yours and she got the greencard not too much later.

Also, you should get your 10 year greencard (meaning no removal of conditions needed) because it's been so long. Make sure you mention that at the infopass to make sure that you get the 10 year one (after 2 years of marriage it's a 10 year card)

My advance parole had expired and we're willing to apply for a new one just to travel without a GC. But do you think it would work? It's a great risk, don't you think? If it's too much of a risk, we're thinking of not leaving the country although we'd miss out on my brother's wedding. Sad.

But you know what, you've shared with me so much hope, especially with the removal of conditions. I should remember that once we get that infopass appointment. Thank you so much for helping this stranger in need something to be happy about today. (:

This is a case where I recommend contacting a representative. You should have heard something by now even if it was a "your case requires additional processing". Make an infopass appointment and have them make a service request on the AOS and also on the renewal for the EAD.

That's right. There wasn't any kind of information or notice for an additional time for processing. I thought that my papers could be lost, which we hope is not the case. Thank you for the reply. (:

try and get an infopass appointment and talk to a representative there but also you had mentioned that you recently moved?...i would suggest that you give them you current address too so you will still receive your mail :star:

Thank you Rhowin. We did inform them about the change of address. We thought at first it could be the reason why it's taking so long, but nah...it's not right 'cause we did receive a letter from USCIS when I had my EAD card renewed. But no EAD card enclosed. hehe.

Doesn't the rule state that as long as the AOS is pending you're entitled to renewals of EAD and AP (free of charge of course)?

Get in touch with your representative ASAP if you want to travel anywhere. Not sure what happened with your case but definitely provide them with copies of all documents/notices you received from USCIS (screenshots of the CRIS status of your AOS and other cases will help too).

I hope you get your 10-year GC soon!

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

Filed: IR-5 Country: Philippines
Timeline

I was wondering if you ever had a biometrics appointment after sending your AOS papers? If not, I believe that your papers were probably lost upon transfer of records. Which state are you in? Since I am confused why your records were sent from CSC to VSC..

SDYlm4.png

-=MY TIMELINE=-

K1 IR-5 (Dad)

01.05.09 - Medical

01.09.09 - Embassy Interview 11.25.13 - Mailed I-130 to Chicago Lockbox

01.17.09 - Visa rec'd 11.26.13 - Packet rec'd

02.03.09 - US Entry (POE: LAX) 11.27.13 - Check cashed

02.18.09 - Wedding 12.01.13 - NOA1 (Transfer to VSC

AOS 01.12.14 - NOA2 (Transfer to NVC)

03.02.09 - Applied for SSN on 2/27;SSN rec'd in mail 02.24.14 - NVC changed # to MNL

03.20.09 - AOS sent to Chicago via USPS 02.27.14 - DS 261 submitted

03.23.09 - AOS Package rec'd @ Chicago 03.04.14 - AOS fee paid; showed paid status on 3/6

07.06.09 - Welcome letter rec'd = FINALLY! 03.10.14 - AOS packet sent

07.09.09 - 10-YR GC rec'd.. odd? 03.12.14 - AOS packet delivered

I-751 03.17.14 - Rec'd IV bill invoice

04.04.11 - Infopass re:10-yr GC 03.18.14 - IV Fee paid; showed paid status on 3/20

04.09.11 - I-751 packet sent to VSC; delivered on 4/11 03.23.14 - DS 260 submitted online

04.22.11 - Check cashed; Rec'd NOA on 4/23 03.28.14 - Rec'd AOS checklist via email

06.27.11 - Rec'd bio appt in the mail:EB 07/08 (walk-in) 03.31.14 - Mailed checklist with corections

12.13.11 - I-751 approved 04.01.14 - Mailed civil documents

12.19.11 - 10-yr GC rec'd 04.03.14 - Civil docs delivered

N-400 04.07.14 - Advance Medical--PASSED!Done in 1 day

04.17.12 - N400 packet sent to TX Lockbox: REJECTED 04.18.14 - False IV checklist rec'd

05.17.12 - N400 resent to Lewisville,TX 04.23.14 - IV checklist re:Qatar PCC

05.23.12 - Check cashed; Rec'd NOA on 5/26 05.05.14 - Qatar PCC sent to NVC

06.01.12 - Rec'd bio appt in the mail:EB 06/11 instead of 6/21 06.05.14 - Case completed

07.09.12 - Rec'd interview letter for 8/14 @ 2PM 07.16.14 - Interview rescheduled due to Typhoon Glenda

08.14.12 - PASSED Interview; awaiting oath letter 07.31.14 - Interview @ USEM: APPROVED

10.01.12 - Rec'd Oath Letter 08.05.14 - Visa on hand

10.12.12 - Oath ceremony! I'm finally a USC! 08.27.14 - POE: LAX

09.08.14 - SSN in mail

09.15.14 - ELIS status changed to OPTIMIZED

09.22.14 - ELIS status CLOSED

09.26.14 - GC received

Thank you Rhowin. We did inform them about the change of address. We thought at first it could be the reason why it's taking so long, but nah...it's not right 'cause we did receive a letter from USCIS when I had my EAD card renewed. But no EAD card enclosed. hehe.

timeline.gif Since your question

is very time-sensitive and when you go for the infopass appointment

you will have to discuss the timeline aspect of your case at length,

it would be good to initialize and fill in your timeline to the best

of your ability.

Best of luck.

Edited by thongd4me

02/2003 - Met

08/24/09 I-129F; 09/02 NOA1; 10/14 NOA2; 11/24 interview; 11/30 K-1 VISA (92 d); 12/29 POE 12/31/09 Marriage

03/29/-04/06/10 - AOS sent/rcd; 04/13 NOA1; AOS 2 NBC

04/14 $1010 cashed; 04/19 NOA1

04/28 Biom.

06/16 EAD/AP

06/24 Infops; AP mail

06/28 EAD mail; travel 2 BKK; return 07/17

07/20/10 interview, 4d. b4 I-129F anniv. APPROVAL!*

08/02/10 GC

08/09/10 SSN

2012-05-16 Lifting Cond. - I-751 sent

2012-06-27 Biom,

2013-01-10 7 Mo, 2 Wks. & 5 days - 10 Yr. PR Card (no interview)

*2013-04-22 Apply for citizenship (if she desires at that time) 90 days prior to 3yr anniversary of P. Residence

wow, when did you guys get so smart? hehe. thank you for all the good and positive advice. truly, i have never felt so relieved for quite sometime now.

cezychic, i did my biometrics a month after we sent in all the papers. everything went smoothly until the "waiting time". we are in florida. i also could not understand why they keep moving my papers. the last letter i got was from CSC in Feb 2009, informing me that my papers are transfered to VSC because they have the jurisdiction over my case. after that, i never heard from them again. i just heard form others that VSC is sloooooowwwww. so we decided not to worry about it and give them time to do their job. but not anymore.

thongd4me, that's a good reminder. i should check on my timeline again. i got tired of dealing with this and looking at all my papers, after waiting for a long time. i was hoping for a miracle. i still do, but on a much better strategy. (:

Doesn't the rule state that as long as the AOS is pending you're entitled to renewals of EAD and AP (free of charge of course)?

Get in touch with your representative ASAP if you want to travel anywhere. Not sure what happened with your case but definitely provide them with copies of all documents/notices you received from USCIS (screenshots of the CRIS status of your AOS and other cases will help too).

I hope you get your 10-year GC soon!

Yes, that's right. I sent in my EAD renewal application form and after two weeks, got everything back! I got excited only to find out that they were returning all my stuff with a letter telling me that I should pay the fee. I had to redo the whole process and sent a letter telling them that I had filed my I-485(?), therefore, I should not pay for the fee. I did get a receipt notice telling me that the next step is to have my biometrics taken (take note: i had done it in 2008). I did get disappointed but my husband is hopeful that at least I will have my EAD card soon. He doesn't mind me doing another biometrics as long as we get the ID. (: But until now, no bio sked and no EAD card. Neither! (: Yeah, just hafta smile, after all, I'm in visajourney getting some expert advice. haha.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline

Songbird-your case is way out of the processing times!From my experience I have to tell you that when you do a EAD renewal you are NOT supposed to get another biometric appointment if you file for it on time-3 months before the initial EAD expires. It seems like you filed for a renewal after your first EAD expired, therefore your fingerprints that you have taken a long time ago are expired as well and they can not be used. That probably generated the filing fee that you were required to pay.

Due to your current situation-I would advicee you to do not travel on the AP document. Schedule infopasses, contact your local senator, do everything possible to get a AOS decision. Did you change your address with USCIS when you moved?If not-change it online and fill out the AR-11 form NOW.

Good luck!

My N-400 Journey

06-02-2017 - N-400 package mailed to Dallas Lockbox

06-06-2017 - Credit card charged; received text and email confirming that application was received and NOA is on its way

06-10-2017 - Received NOA letter from NBC dated 06-05-2017

06-16-2017 - Received Biometrics Appointment Letter for 06-28-2017

01-19-2018 - Interview Letter sent

02-27-18 - Interview and Oath Ceremony. Finally US CITIZEN! 

My ROC Journey

03-08-2012 - I-751 package mailed to VSC

03-10-2012 - I-751 package delivered

03-14-2012 - Check cashed

03-15-2012 - NOA received, dated 03-12-2012

04-27-2012 - Biometrics appointment

11-23-2012 - ROC approved

11-28-2012 - Approval letter received

12-06-2012 - 10 years Green Card received

My AOS Journey

04-17-09 I-130&I-485&I-765 received by USCIS

04-19-10 AOS Approved

04-29-10 Green Card received

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.