soko

k1 lawyer

20 posts in this topic

Unless you have a particular situation you really do not need an attorney.

The K1 guide found on this site is very well done, check it here http://www.visajourney.com/content/guides

If you still want a lawyer, it would help to know which country you're dealing with.

I-751 package sent : 03/30/2012

I-751 receipt date : 04/03/2012

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

As the PP stated, unless you have unique circumstances that absolutely require the assistance of an attorney, by utilizing the K-1 Guide as well as the forum resources here you can not only do it yourself, but would have complete visibility of it and ensure that it is done promptly and correctly.

I had zero knowledge of the visa process before encountering VisaJourney, and by using it alone I submitted a perfect petition, received no RFE's, and was approved in three months with no resistance whatsoever. I owe that entirely to the guides, and nearly unlimited assistance from all of the forum members here.

Do not be duped into believing an attorney or service will have your best interests at heart. The preparation and submission process is stressful even when you maintain complete control of it, and stories abound of folks paying a premium to someone else -- expecting it'll be handled professionally --, only to find costly mistakes were made that resulted in delays, or it was simply not processed with any urgency whatsoever.

If you take the time to educate yourself you'll find that the next logical step is to simply do it yourself. VJ is the enemy of attorneys and services preying on those that have not discovered this resource yet.

Then again, if you have no problem handing over too much money for something that can be done for free, and don't mind not having control over it, there is a plethora of people out there willing to thin your wallet out.

Again, if you do not need an attorney, one look at the K-1 guide should give you an idea of how simple it is. You will definitely have questions as you assemble the documents, but using the search function and/or asking questions will solve that for you.

Good luck!

17-Jan-10 - Filed K-1

26-Apr-10 - Approved

06-May-10 - Entered POE

24-May-10 - Married

22-Jul-10 - Filed AOS

24-Sep-10 - Biometrics Appointment

18-Nov-10 - Approved

29-Nov-10 - Received Green Card

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

i'm wondering if anyone can recommend a good lawyer to help with the k1 visa process. i've found a few online, but i'd rather use someone who i've been referred to.

thanks

I agree with what the others have said. You really dont need an attorney unless there are some things complicating your case like criminal convictions, or something else that could potentially get the visa denied. Other than that you have the resources to complete the process yourself within this site.

I also just posted a video of the contents I put in my petition package I sent to the USCIS. It was approved and we are now waiting for our interview date which should come in any day now.

http://fianceek1visa.blogspot.com/

I hope this helps with your decision

Edited by mike101

Blog: http://fianceek1visa.blogspot.com/

K1 Timeline:
Service Center : Vermont Service Center
Consulate : Bogota, Colombia
2009-12-26 : I-129F Sent
2009-12-28 : I-129F NOA1
2009-12-28 : I-129F NOA2
2010-04-02 : NVC Received
2010-04-05 : Consulate Received
2010-04-20 : Packet 3 Sent (via Fax)
2010-04-22 : Packet 3 Received by Consulate
2010-06-09 : Interview Date (APPROVED)
2010-06-24 : Visa Delivery (Via Domesa)
2010-07-01 : POE (Fort-Lauderdale)

2010-09-04 : Married !!!!

AOS Timeline
2010-09-11 : Packaged express mailed to Chicago Office:
2010-09-13 : Package delivered to USCIS Chicago
2010-09-20 : NOA1 via e-mail
2010-10-15 : Case Xfered to California Service Center
2010-12-01 : Inquiry made regarding delay of biometrics appointment letter
2010-12-15 : Received biometrics appointment letter (Scheduled for 2011-01-05)
2011-01-05 : Biometrics Appointment
2011-01-12 : Work Authorization Card Received
2011-01-26 : Two Year Green Card Received (Thank you VJ!!!!)

Us Citizen

May 2014

Filed: Country: Iran
Timeline

thanks for the advice. my situation is quite complicated, however, because i live in seoul and my girlfriend is from iran, which obviously doesn't have diplomatic relations with the u.s. and isn't exactly the easiest country to get into america from. we have a limited timeline too of about 7-8 months, so if we screw up or the process gets delayed because of something we've done, it will great a huge number of headaches.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

I'm no expert, but judging by similar scenarios (beneficiary from Iran or Iraq) 7-8 months would be a short outcome. For the reason you specified, the adjudication can be quite lengthy -- even if the circumstances are clear.

Nevertheless, good luck. If you perform a search you'll find several good posts regarding this.

17-Jan-10 - Filed K-1

26-Apr-10 - Approved

06-May-10 - Entered POE

24-May-10 - Married

22-Jul-10 - Filed AOS

24-Sep-10 - Biometrics Appointment

18-Nov-10 - Approved

29-Nov-10 - Received Green Card

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

thanks for the advice. my situation is quite complicated, however, because i live in seoul and my girlfriend is from iran, which obviously doesn't have diplomatic relations with the u.s. and isn't exactly the easiest country to get into america from. we have a limited timeline too of about 7-8 months, so if we screw up or the process gets delayed because of something we've done, it will great a huge number of headaches.

I would not count on that timeline. NOBODY can tell you whether you need professional assistance because no matter what you tell them about your case, they have no idea about your abilities, aptitude or available time. Lots of people who are perfectly capable of managing this process themselves still chose to hire a professional. Only YOU can make that decision.

From your other thread though, I think you have a lot of immigration related issues to sort through before you can even decide which of the available paths to take. It sounds to me like some of your plans are simply not going to be viable on anything like the timeline you have in mind.

Edited by pushbrk

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

i'm wondering if anyone can recommend a good lawyer to help with the k1 visa process. i've found a few online, but i'd rather use someone who i've been referred to.

thanks

VJ is heavily focused on do-it-yourself family immigration. It's a safe bet that most people here who have successfully navigated the process did not hire an attorney, or perhaps only consulted with one. Even if they are aware of an attorney whom they consider to be good, their opinion may not be based on personal experience, so you'd have to take it with a grain of salt. There are also a number of people here who hired an attorney and did not receive good service or had a bad outcome with their case, which is what led them to VJ. About the only valid opinion they could offer is not to hire the same attorney they hired.

Beyond that, any person's opinion of an attorney they actually hired is going to largely dependent on whether they got the outcome they wanted. You would need many such opinions to make an informed decision. An attorney who failed for someone else might very well succeed for you, or vice versa. In the end, hiring an attorney is a lot like hiring a job applicant. Referrals from other people play a role, but the most effective tool is asking the right questions, and knowing if the answers you get are correct.

If you think your case is complicated enough that it would benefit from having a good immigration attorney, then prepare to do some work in selecting one. Educate yourself about the process, and potential problems you might face along the way, and in particular about the unique idiosyncrasies of the consulate where your fiancee will interview. Armed with this knowledge, approach the hiring of your attorney as if you were a manager looking to hire an employee. Your knowledge will help you ask the right questions, and especially help to determine if the attorney is educated enough to help you tackle the consulate stage and succeed. Interview as many attorneys as possible before making a decision.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

A lawyer simply becomes an information funnel. You will supply to them all the required info which they fill in on the forms for you at your expense. The timeline will be extended by many months due to that alone.

It would be a good idea to attempt to fill out the initial forms yourself & see how it goes. If you have questions V J is a great place to find the answers. Because of the Iran aspect you can count on an extended timeline.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
It's not wise to advise people to not get an atty if they are enquiring about one. Just my .02
Si, man -- read the question accurately.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Bringing in a beneficiary from Iran will be a challenge. Bringing in a lawyer on your case is also a challenge--most notably, to your WALLET.

Do all you can on your OWN time, like filling out all the paperworks, organizing all your evidences of genuine relationship, making trips to visit her, etc.

THEN when you have all your ducks in a row, go consult an immigration atty for consult. No need to have him hold your hand thru all this mundane "leg work" at $250/hr.

BTW, we had great success with prepaid legal atty's. For about $25/month, you have free phone consults with good immigration atty's that can answer those "On the spot" troublesome questions and issues that pop up on your visa journey.

I'd hate to see you "on the hook" with an atty that will bill you to death for little things in the visa process that you can very well DIY.

Good Luck and we hope she is worth it.

lawyers.jpg

lawyer-vulture.JPG

Sign-on-a-church-af.jpgLogic-af.jpgwwiao.gif

:ot: Hiring an attorney is a matter of personal preference and peace of mind even if the firm is good for the application process and mailing..

I hired an attorney, they guy did a great job filling up the applications and collecting his fee, but I was so nervous and "ignorant" with immigration and process that I felt better paying someone for my "peace of mind", unfortunately I was not familiar with VJ website..

:ot2:

If you are looking for an attorney because of your so call situation, you may want to consider someone local? [wherever your state may be]

"Peace is not the product of terror or fear. Peace is not the silence of cemeteries. Peace is not the silent result of violent repression. Peace is the generous, tranquil contribution of all to the good of all. Peace is dynamism. Peace is generosity. It is right and it is duty." -- NAPF page on Oscar Romero

Wife'sTime Line My link

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.