yellowlight

Medical Insurance while on the K-1 Visa?

24 posts in this topic

Hello everyone.

Just wanted to introduce ourselves! I am from the UK and my Fiance is American and I am soon to be moving to the US on a K-1 I hope. Just filled the K-1 so here goes. Now we are wondering what we can do for Medical Insurance while we are waiting for my Ajustment of Status and being able to find work?

Can anyone recommend a company possible or give some advice on that?

Thanks so much!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Hello everyone.

Just wanted to introduce ourselves! I am from the UK and my Fiance is American and I am soon to be moving to the US on a K-1 I hope. Just filled the K-1 so here goes. Now we are wondering what we can do for Medical Insurance while we are waiting for my Ajustment of Status and being able to find work?

Can anyone recommend a company possible or give some advice on that?

Thanks so much!

Does your fiance have medical insurance through their employer? I was able to add my wife to my employer's medical insurance the day after we were married.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

Does your fiance have medical insurance through their employer? I was able to add my wife to my employer's medical insurance the day after we were married.

Right, or your deductible is the price of an airline ticket.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

No my fiance is a student and will be for over a year from when we get married. So I can't get medical Insurance via her?

So we are wondering what I can do for medical insurance while I am on a K-1 Visa?

You're on the K1 visa for 90 days. After that, you can shop for private insurance or self-insure until you have employer coverage.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I'm moving this thread to "Moving here and your new Life in America" forum as it isn't really about the K-1 process and is more likely to get knowledgeable responses in that forum.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Yep thats true. But while I am on the K-1 visa, before we are married, what do I do for medical insurance?

Get married asap so you can be added to hers.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Since none of the purpose suggestions are likable, the only thing you can do is to buy an private policy from an Health Insurance Carrier in the area in which you will be living. You can get this information from the yellow pages of the phone book, or you can google it. Bewarned that the price of the policy may be very high. Good luck.

WEll, $300 might be a little low, it will be based on age, sex, smoker, under lined health issues, so it could cost you from $300- $1000 per month. It would be based on if you are joining an HMO, or a PPO or just a basic network of doctors.

Also, you will probably need a social security number or a TIN number.

Edited by LIFE'SJOURNEY

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Wow $300 - $1000 per month for health insurance! Pretty steep! But need to get health insurance to cover me before I get married.

You won't need to pay that much, Just get a "catastrophic" insurance policy in case something serious happens before you can get on your spouse's insurance policy. It shouldn't cost you much more than a hundred, especially if it's only for a month or so.

K1: 01/15/2009 (mailed I-129F) - 06/23/2009 (visa received)

AOS: 08/08/2009 (mailed I-485, I-765, & I-131) - 10/29/2009 (received GC)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.