yellowlight

Medical Insurance while on the K-1 Visa?

24 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

Wow $300 - $1000 per month for health insurance! Pretty steep! But need to get health insurance to cover me before I get married.

If you're that sure you need insurance, you probably can't get it. One feature of any medical insurance is a "deductible", meaning you pay the first portion of any expenses out of pocket. That's why I told you in your first post that YOUR deductible is the price of a ticket back to the UK where you DO have medical coverage. YOUR catastrophic medical expenses ARE already covered. If you have existing conditions you're worried about, you won't be able to buy coverage for those anyway.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

What people are not telling you, OP, is that you can get "International Travelers Insurance" for a reasonable fee premium( maybe $157 for the 90 day period, depending on what amount deductible you choose). Basically, it is a form of catastrophic health insurance. In the event you need medical attention, you go to an "Urgent Care Clinic" and then get all the documentation and receipts of your treatment, and then submit them to your insurance carrier for reimbursement. Hope this helps. :star:

Sign-on-a-church-af.jpgLogic-af.jpgwwiao.gif

Doesnt sound like this will apply to yellowlight since her fiance is a student but some insurance companies allow "domestic partners" to be added to their policy. Some people may think that it is refering to same sex partners but that is not the case.

Our HR dept called our insurance company and I was able to add my fiancee to my policy before we were married. We got married a short while after she was added so its a moog point now but it may be worth looking into for those in the interim.

By the way the insurance company is Highmark Blue Cross / Blue Shield.

6/15/2009 Filed I-129F

12/15/2009 Interview (HCMC, VN)

1/16/2010 POE Detroit

3/31/2010 MARRIED !!!

11/20/2010 Filed I-485

12/23/2010 Biometrics (Buffalo, NY)

12/31/2010 I-485 Transfered to CSC

2/4/2011 Green Card received

1/7/2013 Mailed I-751 package

1/14/2013 I-751 NOA (VSC)

2/07/2013 Biometrics (Buffalo, NY)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Turkey
Timeline

When coming over on a K1 visa your best option is to get short term insurance which basically covers for accidents, but not preexisting conditions. After you are married the best option is to get onto your spouses insurance however since your spouse is a student and won't have coverage through work your only option is to get an individual health insurance policy. These have a range to them depending how sick you are, how high your deductible is, and what you want covered. Currently individual health insurance companies will not cover for preexisting conditions and might deny coverage based on living in the USA less than a year. I have seen this happen where the husband owned their own business and their wife couldn't get coverage in an individual plan based the length of time they have lived in the USA.

Other

K-1 Visa Timeline

I-129F Sent : 01/06/2009

I-129F NOA1 : 01/09/2009

I-129F NOA2 : 03/11/2009

NVC Received : 03/19/2009

Consulate Received : 03/27/2009

Packet 3 Sent : 12/23/2009

Interview Date : 03/18/2010 - APPROVED!!!

Visa Received : 03/20/2010

US Entry : 04/07/2010

Marriage : 05/04/2010 - WOOHOO!!!

-----------

I-485 Sent : 07/02/2010

I-485 NOA1 : 07/09/2010

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

To use the NHS you have to be resident in the UK.

Uni plans usually alow you to include spouses, my wife's did.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Thanks for your replies. Basically I can't get travelers insurance because I am not traveling, I am on a K-1 visa but currently will not be married and can not get onto my fiances insurance as I have to be married to her.

So it's that inbetweeen stage I am worried about.

OK so Highmark Blue Cross / Blue Shield could cover me for that inbetween stage then? While I am on a K-1 visa?

How long after you enter the US are you planning to marry?

Personally I'd do a quickie courthouse marriage and then have your full blown ceremony and avoid this additional cost.

SA4userbar.jpg

Yep thats true. But while I am on the K-1 visa, before we are married, what do I do for medical insurance?
edited Edited by Saddle Bronc

2005/07/10 I-129F filed for Pras

2005/11/07 I-129F approved, forwarded to NVC--to Chennai Consulate 2005/11/14

2005/12/02 Packet-3 received from Chennai

2005/12/21 Visa Interview Date

2006/04/04 Pras' entry into US at DTW

2006/04/15 Church Wedding at Novi (Detroit suburb), MI

2006/05/01 AOS Packet (I-485/I-131/I-765) filed at Chicago

2006/08/23 AP and EAD approved. Two down, 1.5 to go

2006/10/13 Pras' I-485 interview--APPROVED!

2006/10/27 Pras' conditional GC arrives -- .5 to go (2 yrs to Conditions Removal)

2008/07/21 I-751 (conditions removal) filed

2008/08/22 I-751 biometrics completed

2009/06/18 I-751 approved

2009/07/03 10-year GC received; last 0.5 done!

2009/07/23 Pras files N-400

2009/11/16 My 46TH birthday, Pras N-400 approved

2010/03/18 Pras' swear-in

---------------------------------------------------------------------

As long as the LORD's beside me, I don't care if this road ever ends.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.