Dan T

border jumpers

203 posts in this topic

I am going on the assumption that the overwhelming majority of people on this site have gone through a arduous and expensive legal process to obtain legitimate immigration status to the USA. I myself have spent between 3 and 4 thousand on the process.

I just wanted to hear what thoughts or feelings are generally held by members of this site towards those who either snuck into the country completely or willfully over stayed their tourist visa in order to reap the financial and quality of life benefits offered by this country. this includes people that come for a holiday in a ruse designed to give birth to their child on us soil and insist on being allowed to stay because their child has birthright citizenship. ireland has revoked this right in 2002 and i believe that the us should do the same.

my personal feeling towards them is that they are a burden to be expunged and/or imprisoned in most cases. I think their action stains the value of the process that we all went through and i personally have zero compassion for any one who is kick out on their #######.

that being said, i have also heard of plenty of people that did go through the same process as me and my wife have that were denied because of a brain damaged processing agent at uscis. these people do everything above boards and bend over backwards to comply with the rediculous set of laws that are in place and yet are still punished with deportation due to a technicality. I fear, perhaps unjustifiably, that incompetancy at uscis could claim me as a victim and so i therefore have endless sympathy for anyone who has been kicked out after having done everything that was asked of them.

I recall a case involving a croat woman that married a former us soldier after the bosnia conflict. when the call was sent out for volunteers to go to iraq, out of his inner sense of patriotism, the husband had an inner calling to re-enlist and serve his country in the war on terror. in 2002 they scheduled their interview which was supposed to take place in 2003(sorry I dont have the dates exact). The husband was killed in action defending this country before the scheduled date of the interview. Because they missed their interview uscis/ice initiated deportation precedings against a woman that had lived here for 10 years and had 2 children with her us citizen husband who died honorably in service to his country for a cause he believed in. The long drawn out battle eventually brought the woman to court with the parents of the fallen soldier in her corner fighting on her behalf. The court decided in her favor and allowed her to stay. In their infinite wisdom the USCIS appealed the court decision and resumed deportation preceedings. I do not have the ending of this story but in my story boook world this lady was rightfully granted residency and allowed to persue citizenship, however, as we all know story books dont often allign with real life. My heart goes out to people who are put in these situations.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

I am going on the assumption that the overwhelming majority of people on this site have gone through a arduous and expensive legal process to obtain legitimate immigration status to the USA. I myself have spent between 3 and 4 thousand on the process.

I just wanted to hear what thoughts or feelings are generally held by members of this site towards those who either snuck into the country completely or willfully over stayed their tourist visa in order to reap the financial and quality of life benefits offered by this country. this includes people that come for a holiday in a ruse designed to give birth to their child on us soil and insist on being allowed to stay because their child has birthright citizenship. ireland has revoked this right in 2002 and i believe that the us should do the same.

my personal feeling towards them is that they are a burden to be expunged and/or imprisoned in most cases. I think their action stains the value of the process that we all went through and i personally have zero compassion for any one who is kick out on their #######.

that being said, i have also heard of plenty of people that did go through the same process as me and my wife have that were denied because of a brain damaged processing agent at uscis. these people do everything above boards and bend over backwards to comply with the rediculous set of laws that are in place and yet are still punished with deportation due to a technicality. I fear, perhaps unjustifiably, that incompetancy at uscis could claim me as a victim and so i therefore have endless sympathy for anyone who has been kicked out after having done everything that was asked of them.

I recall a case involving a croat woman that married a former us soldier after the bosnia conflict. when the call was sent out for volunteers to go to iraq, out of his inner sense of patriotism, the husband had an inner calling to re-enlist and serve his country in the war on terror. in 2002 they scheduled their interview which was supposed to take place in 2003(sorry I dont have the dates exact). The husband was killed in action defending this country before the scheduled date of the interview. Because they missed their interview uscis/ice initiated deportation precedings against a woman that had lived here for 10 years and had 2 children with her us citizen husband who died honorably in service to his country for a cause he believed in. The long drawn out battle eventually brought the woman to court with the parents of the fallen soldier in her corner fighting on her behalf. The court decided in her favor and allowed her to stay. In their infinite wisdom the USCIS appealed the court decision and resumed deportation preceedings. I do not have the ending of this story but in my story boook world this lady was rightfully granted residency and allowed to persue citizenship, however, as we all know story books dont often allign with real life. My heart goes out to people who are put in these situations.

Well, I am very grateful that I went through the immigration process so that I was able to see the US government as the hole of inefficiency and corruption that it really is.

As far as other people breaking the law, an oath to a scoundrel is meaningless.

Well, I am very grateful that I went through the immigration process so that I was able to see the US government as the hole of inefficiency and corruption that it really is.

As far as other people breaking the law, an oath to a scoundrel is meaningless.

while i share your sentiment against the beurocratic bloat that this immigration process in america is, i still would fight and die for most of the pricipals that were laid out by the founders of this courty that are too often forgotten by many subsequent incrarnations and most especially the current incarnation.

Filed: Other Timeline

Life is all about decisions. One decides to live in another country. One decides to assume a certain risk associated with it. One decides to become a soldier, invade a foreign country, and shoot at other people. Here to the individual assumes a certain risk. One decides to marry a soldier. And again that individual accepts a risk.

If you move to Alaska, don't complain about the cold. If you are a plumber, don't complain if you have smelly stuff on your hands. If you are a drug dealer, don't complain if you get locked up for life. If you are a firefighter, don't complain if you get burned. If you are a soldier, don't complain if you get shot. If you marry a soldier, don't complain if he doesn't come back. If you immigrate to a foreign country, don't complain about the bureaucracy.

There's always a choice.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Life is all about decisions. One decides to live in another country. One decides to assume a certain risk associated with it. One decides to become a soldier, invade a foreign country, and shoot at other people. Here to the individual assumes a certain risk. One decides to marry a soldier. And again that individual accepts a risk.

If you move to Alaska, don't complain about the cold. If you are a plumber, don't complain if you have smelly stuff on your hands. If you are a drug dealer, don't complain if you get locked up for life. If you are a firefighter, don't complain if you get burned. If you are a soldier, don't complain if you get shot. If you marry a soldier, don't complain if he doesn't come back. If you immigrate to a foreign country, don't complain about the bureaucracy.

There's always a choice.

im actually more in agreement with you than not however I would differentiate between people who immigrated solely for financial benefit and those that did so purely out of love as my wife did. In the case mentioned I am sure leaving a country perpetually sumberged in warfare had a little something to do with her motivations. I did nothing but fall in love with someone born in a different coutry and brought her to live with me here, is there a penalty that I should be due to pay for this as well?

i guess its the penalty of starting this topic that i invite people to comment outside of its scope, it seems to happen on every other topic, forum, and discussion board.

Filed: Timeline

I recall a case involving a croat woman that married a former us soldier after the bosnia conflict. when the call was sent out for volunteers to go to iraq, out of his inner sense of patriotism, the husband had an inner calling to re-enlist and serve his country in the war on terror. in 2002 they scheduled their interview which was supposed to take place in 2003(sorry I dont have the dates exact). The husband was killed in action defending this country before the scheduled date of the interview. Because they missed their interview uscis/ice initiated deportation precedings against a woman that had lived here for 10 years and had 2 children with her us citizen husband who died honorably in service to his country for a cause he believed in. The long drawn out battle eventually brought the woman to court with the parents of the fallen soldier in her corner fighting on her behalf. The court decided in her favor and allowed her to stay. In their infinite wisdom the USCIS appealed the court decision and resumed deportation preceedings. I do not have the ending of this story but in my story book world this lady was rightfully granted residency and allowed to persue citizenship, however, as we all know story books don't often allign with real life. My heart goes out to people who are put in these situations.

I don't blame anyone for having the strength to break unjust laws; I applaud them. Yes, I have been jumping through hoops to bring my spouse here legally: by following the constraints of the current system but frustrating as this time is, I understand that only a projection of that frustration could be responsible for an attempted vilification of those who try to 'sneak' in this country. I blame a lacking system that devalues human life by selling opportunities to thrive, to live as dignified human beings. Not everyone is just lining up to get in this country, but those who do desire to live in the US usually have a good reason and that reason is significant enough that they feel it justifies the risks they take.

I step back to view the whole picture, I see a people fleeing a land in which they perceived life to be oppressive, I see a people 'finding' a 'new' land. They drive away the oppressors that followed them. They become the oppressors in the new land. The land is 'taken' from its inhabitants. I see a flood of other peoples, from equally oppressive situations coming to this new land of opportunity, conditions / restrictions are created concerning who may enter this 'new found' land.

Today, the freedoms I enjoy, simply because of the country that I was born in, are mind blowing! I can travel and live pretty much anywhere I desire and have the means to visit or inhabit. I have access to some form of emergency health care no matter how much or how little I earn. At least 75% of the year, I can walk into any shelter, if need be, and be received by someone who offers me food, water and a bed, free of charge! I can receive education, knowledge, empowerment through schooling until the age of 18 for free! If I am very poor I can attend community college free of charge! I sleep soundly at night knowing that in the morning my electricity will most likely be working, I will have some food to eat in my house, and if I don't there are dozens of places that will feed me for free! I can go on and on. What did I do to 'earn' these 'rights?' Nothing but be born within the borders of this country.

Does that make me more human than someone else? NO

I love the freedoms I have, I am grateful that I am not for want. I am saddened by the fact that people in this country desire to hoard and restrict those freedoms that they did nothing to earn but being born in this country.

When being able to live, thrive and be happy becomes conditional, those who would deny others the opportunity to live dignified lives, contribute to the structural violence that the current systems in place perpetuate.

The value of human life is not conditional. Anyone who expects to be valued, have their dignity affirmed, have love shown to them, is obligated to do nothing less for the rest of the global village.

It saddens me that, through this loooooooong journey that we are all taking separately but experiencing together: the waiting, the forms, the tears and the joys of being reunited with our love ones - knowing the pain and agony of being apart from the person(s) who completes your heart - we find it so hard to understand that legal or not, financially able or not, 'sneaking' or not, we think that we are somehow unique, that our pain is legitimate because we feel it within the constraints of the current system.............

I value your opinions, this is my own.

Border jumpers have no background check, medical exam, interview, often steal identities and pay little to no taxes. They are criminals that should be deported.

Illegal immigration is not a victimless crime.

"The fact that we are here today to debate raising America’s debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. It is a sign that the U.S. Government can’t pay its own bills. It is a sign that we now depend on ongoing financial assistance from foreign countries to finance our Government’s reckless fiscal policies."

Senator Barack Obama
Senate Floor Speech on Public Debt
March 16, 2006

barack-cowboy-hat.jpg
90f.JPG

Filed: Other Country: Afghanistan
Timeline

Border jumpers have no background check, medical exam, interview, often steal identities and pay little to no taxes. They are criminals that should be deported.

I agree with this sentiment.

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

I agree with this sentiment.

I feel the same way about people who lie to the customs/border patrol and say they are visiting, knowing full well they are just going to marry and apply for AoS to circumvent the process.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I could go on & on about this topic.

But to keep it short......what Galt said above ^^^^^^^

8/2/2021:  Mailed N-400

8/4/2021: N-400 received

8/6/2021:  Biometrics to be reused
3/15/2022:  Interview (successful)

Filed: Other Country: Afghanistan
Timeline

I feel the same way about people who lie to the customs/border patrol and say they are visiting, knowing full well they are just going to marry and apply for AoS to circumvent the process.

Ooh we have a VWP hater here...

Somehow it doesn't really bother me, but I suppose it isn't that far removed from border jumping.

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Ooh we have a VWP hater here...

Somehow it doesn't really bother me, but I suppose it isn't that far removed from border jumping.

There are those who are legitimate in their intentions, and then there are those who only do it to circumvent the fees and process of immigration. I have no problem with those who do it the proper way, I detest those who do it the latter.

Filed: Country: Belarus
Timeline

No argument from me. I have never understood why our government has a multitude of laws already on the books to deter illegal immigration that were passed by congress and signed by our presidents, but these same morons continue to promise amnesty and citizenship / work authorization rights to illegal immigrants while refusing to enforce the laws they themselves have passed in the first place.

We don't need "comprehensive immigration reform" (aka: Illegal Alien Amnesty). We need to throw the politicians out of office that refuse to enforce our laws, protect American workers, protect the US treasury from supporting freeloaders that are playing the US taxpayer for fools, and refuse to secure our open borders from unauthorized intrusion.

The American people didn't elect Obama and the Democrats to sell us out in this regard...but they are.

"Credibility in immigration policy can be summed up in one sentence: Those who should get in, get in; those who should be kept out, are kept out; and those who should not be here will be required to leave."

"...for the system to be credible, people actually have to be deported at the end of the process."

US Congresswoman Barbara Jordan (D-TX)

Testimony to the House Immigration Subcommittee, February 24, 1995

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

this thread has promise :pop:

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

No argument from me. I have never understood why our government has a multitude of laws already on the books to deter illegal immigration that were passed by congress and signed by our presidents, but these same morons continue to promise amnesty and citizenship / work authorization rights to illegal immigrants while refusing to enforce the laws they themselves have passed in the first place.

We don't need "comprehensive immigration reform" (aka: Illegal Alien Amnesty). We need to throw the politicians out of office that refuse to enforce our laws, protect American workers, protect the US treasury from supporting freeloaders that are playing the US taxpayer for fools, and refuse to secure our open borders from unauthorized intrusion.

The American people didn't elect Obama and the Democrats to sell us out in this regard...but they are.

to be fair the sellout began long before the wrecking ball came into public eye, and even before the best parts of him ended up as a stain on the mattress