dr_pepper

K1 Visa: Marrying outside U.S. once approved?

29 posts in this topic

A K-1 is not "APPROVAL TO MARRY YOU" He does not need approval to marry you from the government. He needs approval to enter the USA, marry you and apply for a green card. You can marry him today, or maybe tomorrow, depends how long it takes you to travel there.

It isn't? :bonk:

Pray tell me then what other reason the visa is issued for?

As Gary and Alla said, the visa is issued only for the purpose of entering the US legally.

A couple can marry without a visa. Most couples do marry without a visa. They can marry abroad, or they can even marry inside the US. True, for some couples, getting INTO the US without a visa could present a problem, and in some cases might or might not involve breaking a law or two that might or might not cause serious immigration difficulties, but it wouldn't cause difficulties in getting married.

04 Apr, 2004: Got married

05 Apr, 2004: I-130 Sent to CSC

13 Apr, 2004: I-130 NOA 1

19 Apr, 2004: I-129F Sent to MSC

29 Apr, 2004: I-129F NOA 1

13 Aug, 2004: I-130 Approved by CSC

28 Dec, 2004: I-130 Case Complete at NVC

18 Jan, 2005: Got the visa approved in Caracas

22 Jan, 2005: Flew home together! CCS->MIA->SFO

25 May, 2005: I-129F finally approved! We won't pursue it.

8 June, 2006: Our baby girl is born!

24 Oct, 2006: Window for filing I-751 opens

25 Oct, 2006: I-751 mailed to CSC

18 Nov, 2006: I-751 NOA1 received from CSC

30 Nov, 2006: I-751 Biometrics taken

05 Apr, 2007: I-751 approved, card production ordered

23 Jan, 2008: N-400 sent to CSC via certified mail

19 Feb, 2008: N-400 Biometrics taken

27 Mar, 2008: Naturalization interview notice received (NOA2 for N-400)

30 May, 2008: Naturalization interview, passed the test!

17 June, 2008: Naturalization oath notice mailed

15 July, 2008: Naturalization oath ceremony!

16 July, 2008: Registered to vote and applied for US passport

26 July, 2008: US Passport arrived.

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

As Gary and Alla said, the visa is issued only for the purpose of entering the US legally.

A couple can marry without a visa. Most couples do marry without a visa. They can marry abroad, or they can even marry inside the US. True, for some couples, getting INTO the US without a visa could present a problem, and in some cases might or might not involve breaking a law or two that might or might not cause serious immigration difficulties, but it wouldn't cause difficulties in getting married.

Great explanation. On a more basic note, "visas" are for entering countries. Citizens of some countries don't need visas to enter the USA. If you are in the USA legally or not, permission to marry requires a marriage license issued by a State, usually through a County officer. If you can properly identify yourself and are otherwise free to marry, you can obtain the license and marry.

The K1 visa is a specific kind of visa used to not only enter the USA but after entry and marriage, the foreigner is provided a legal path to

People here illegally, who entered on the Visa Waiver Program or on visitor visas are all equally eligible for marriage but are NOT provided with a legal path to apply for and receive "legal permanent resident" status as the K1 visa holder is.

Edited by pushbrk

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

The K1 visa is a specific kind of visa used to not only enter the USA but after entry and marriage, the foreigner is provided a legal path to

As the above does not explain what the K1 is a legal path to (as the sentence is incomplete), I will explain further.

The K1, as stated, is not a "marriage visa". It is pretty much an entry visa BUT the bonus of getting the K1 as opposed to visitors visa is that the K1 is a stepping stone to getting a greencard whereas a regular visitors visa is not meant to work that way. The K1 allows you to enter with immigration intent whereas a visitors visa will get you stopped at the border if you said you were there to marry a USC and stay in the US forever.

You don't need permission to marry anyone (within reason, such as age etc) and this visa doesn't give you that permission, it DOES however give your fiance the chance to enter your country TO marry you with the INTENT to stay here and obtain a greencard.

You can always marry in another country, and live in separate countries, or move to his country or a third country. The fiance visa is an immigration visa more or less with the legal requirement of marrying the USC that asked the government to let you move here. They've given their okay for you to live here, as long as you marry that person. It's that simple really.

Edited by Vanessa&Tony

True on all that.

But the alien wouldn't be entering the US if there wasn't an intended marriage.

People here illegally, who entered on the Visa Waiver Program or on visitor visas are all equally eligible for marriage but are NOT provided with a legal path to apply for and receive "legal permanent resident" status as the K1 visa holder is.

They aren't?

You don't need permission to marry anyone (within reason, such as age etc) and this visa doesn't give you that permission, it DOES however give your fiance the chance to enter your country TO marry you with the INTENT to stay here and obtain a greencard.

What is the difference?

It's all swings and roundabouts.

Edited by JohnnyQuest

Our journey together on this earth has come to an end.

I will see you one day again, my love.

My 2 cents.

If you apply for and are approved for a I129F petition for fiancee, you cannot then get "legally" married outside the US without voiding the petition.

You may however go through the steps without registering the marriage and still have a valid fiancee petition depending on what constitutes a "legal" marriage in your country.

We had a traditional Vietnamese wedding ceremony in Vietnam but did not register our marriage. We even used the wedding photos as proof of relationship in our petition and at the interview. I did however divulge and explain why, when, and where in a letter in our initial I129F petition.

We had no problems whatsoever in obtaining approval for our petition or K-1 visa.

I'm not saying this will work for everyone but it worked fine for us, and to be able to do this so her family, relatives and friends could participate was wonderful.

We are now here together in the US and our wedding date here is set for March 31 :dance:

What you do is ultimatley up to you, just do your homework and understand what potential issues may come up and be prepared to deal with them.

What we did may not be the safest route to go as it is what is perceived in the eyes of the CO but I am glad we did it this way and will have the memories of her family and friends being part of it always and forever.

6/15/2009 Filed I-129F

12/15/2009 Interview (HCMC, VN)

1/16/2010 POE Detroit

3/31/2010 MARRIED !!!

11/20/2010 Filed I-485

12/23/2010 Biometrics (Buffalo, NY)

12/31/2010 I-485 Transfered to CSC

2/4/2011 Green Card received

1/7/2013 Mailed I-751 package

1/14/2013 I-751 NOA (VSC)

2/07/2013 Biometrics (Buffalo, NY)

• 5 months later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Uganda
Timeline

If you apply for and are approved for a I129F petition for fiancee, you cannot then get "legally" married outside the US without voiding the petition.

You may however go through the steps without registering the marriage and still have a valid fiancee petition depending on what constitutes a "legal" marriage in your country.

We had a traditional Vietnamese wedding ceremony in Vietnam but did not register our marriage. We even used the wedding photos as proof of relationship in our petition and at the interview. I did however divulge and explain why, when, and where in a letter in our initial I129F petition.

This is pretty much what we will probably wind up doing, except that we already had DHS approval, then we ran into a 2-month delay at the pre-interview medical exam, but had made wedding plans for a week and a half later for a huge traditional cultural "giving away of the bride" ceremony, and a couple days after that, a religious ceremony with a priest and a small number of family and friends. Somebody mentioned Catholics not recognizing "legal" weddings - well, Anglicans in Uganda are the same way. And woe be unto he who tries to marry a Ugandan girl without going through the appropriate cultural and religious steps! ;)

So she will probably tell the Embassy up front that we had the ceremony required by her culture, and the ceremony required by her religion, but have not had the legal ceremony required by his country, and that we plan to do so within 90 days of her arriving in the US.

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

It isn't? :bonk:

Pray tell me then what other reason the visa is issued for?

The K1 is issued as approval to "enter the USA for 90 days" for the purpose of marrying the petitioner in the USA during the 90 days and also provides the basis for adjusting status to permanent resident provided the terms of the visa are complied with. Visas are used to "enter" countries.

It is definitely not "approval to marry" and no such approval is needed from USCIS or the US Dept. of State. (The US Government agencies associated with obtaining a K1 visa)

Approval (license) to marry is obtained a local government authority in the USA AFTER and only AFTER the K1 visa holder enters the USA. Approval to marry in any other country is obtained through a government agency in that country. Visas are used to "enter" countries. Visas are not required for marriage in the USA, as long as you are already here. It happens all the time.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: Country: Japan
Timeline

Would it be possible to hold a ceremony only without filing any paperwork? That way you would not be leagly married. Then enter the US on the K1 and file for marriage at the courthouse.

I don't think it matters where the ceremony takes place, only where you file the paperwork and get the certificate issued.

I could be wrong, but I think it may be possible.

It may also be culture dependent. I know that in Japan I can hold a ceremony without filing any paperwork, and as such would not be legaly married. Likewise, I can file the paperwork without a ceremony and be consider legaly married.

In other cultures just the meeting of the two families can be considered a legal marriage.

Edited by inpitb

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Paraguay
Timeline

I asked our consulate whether a church wedding ceremony would be viewed as a "legal" marriage prior to entering the US on a K-1 visa, and in our case, it would not be considered a "legal" marriage. Therefore, we are free to have a church wedding ceremony before my fiancée enters the US on her K-1 visa. Just throwing that out there for those who haven't considered contacting the consulate with specific questions.

Paraguay2010076-1.jpg

The K1 is issued as approval to "enter the USA for 90 days" for the purpose of marrying the petitioner in the USA during the 90 days and also provides the basis for adjusting status to permanent resident provided the terms of the visa are complied with. Visas are used to "enter" countries.

It is definitely not "approval to marry" and no such approval is needed from USCIS or the US Dept. of State. (The US Government agencies associated with obtaining a K1 visa)

Approval (license) to marry is obtained a local government authority in the USA AFTER and only AFTER the K1 visa holder enters the USA. Approval to marry in any other country is obtained through a government agency in that country. Visas are used to "enter" countries. Visas are not required for marriage in the USA, as long as you are already here. It happens all the time.

I know you really want to be right. It's important to your revenue stream.

For whatever it's worth, IMO, the statement "approval to marry you" isn't wrong in the context of issuance of a K1 visa. Such a visa wouldn't be issued if a marriage wasn't planned. We all know a K1 entrant can only adjust status to permanent resident based upon marriage to their K1 petitioner. They can't marry someone else and become a legal resident.

There are times when it's important to nit-pick about terminology in this process. This isn't one of them. From a wholesale standpoint, when a K1 visa is issued, USCIS has essentially given it's permission for a specific alien to marry a specific US citizen.

And that's all I have to say about it.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

It may also be culture dependent. I know that in Japan I can hold a ceremony without filing any paperwork, and as such would not be legaly married. Likewise, I can file the paperwork without a ceremony and be consider legaly married.

In other cultures just the meeting of the two families can be considered a legal marriage.

This is an important thing to determine, what actions in which countries constitute a legal marriage by law.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

There are times when it's important to nit-pick about terminology in this process. This isn't one of them. From a wholesale standpoint, when a K1 visa is issued, USCIS has essentially given it's permission for a specific alien to marry a specific US citizen.

As long as we're nitpicking the point... :devil:

USCIS doesn't issue K1 visas - US consulates do. When a K1 petition is approved, USCIS has granted the US citizen petitioner's request to allow his/her foreign fiancee to apply for a visa. When a K1 visa is approved, the US consulate has given permission for the foreign fiancee to enter the US, with the stipulation that they may adjust status and become a permanent resident if they marry the petitioner within 90 days of entry. They are giving permission for the foreign fiancee to receive an immigration benefit if they comply with the terms of the visa - they aren't giving permission to marry. That would be a violation of State's rights. The Constitution doesn't grant the federal government the authority to regulate marriage.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Well, you've got me on the USCIS bit, that's for sure! :thumbs:

• 2 years later...

I asked our consulate whether a church wedding ceremony would be viewed as a "legal" marriage prior to entering the US on a K-1 visa, and in our case, it would not be considered a "legal" marriage. Therefore, we are free to have a church wedding ceremony before my fiancée enters the US on her K-1 visa. Just throwing that out there for those who haven't considered contacting the consulate with specific questions.

Hello Sir,

Thank you for your kind reply on this topic. I was little bit worried as i am planning to do the same. Traditional marriage in home country and then travel to States. I have heard different stories that at POE they might deny your entry if they find out anything about traditonal marriage too? is that correct?

SOnu

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.