antda

The New VJ (3/2010)....What do you think?

279 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Timeline

Hi Everyone,

(this is my first post on the new VJ...so bear with me here...)

So I woke up this morning, logged onto VJ...

And thought there was something wrong with my computer...

Maybe it had to do with daylight savings time?, I thought..

Then I saw Captain Ewok's message topic....

Apparently there is "A New VJ".... :blink: Huh?

From what I've seem so far so good, I like it.... :)

The things I liked:

-Bigger fonts and text displays

-More organized overall

-My profile is more easily accessible on the top right corner

-More profile information is diplayed about a user (eg. number of posts, interests, etc.)

-Emoticons are more easily accessible when posting

-Posts topic kind of remind me of e-mails..user-friendly this way

-Recent added topics diplayed on forums index page

-Quicker editor page loading

-The "VJ mascots" on the top right corner disappeared....Replaced with an American flag...(better and more complete representation of America, I think...)

The things I'm not sure about:

-Will it load faster? (lol...I have a slow dial-up internet connection..and have run into problems with other websites becaus of the this...)

-Other features...(will look more into that and post more about it too....)

The things I didn't like:

-The "Post Snapback" feature on posts...I can't quickly tell who said what before, as my text looks exactly the same as other people's texts! I don't want to be quoting and/or replying to the wrong person here! Is there some way to make it more distinctive? For example, before there were 'quote' boxes around what others have said, which made it easy to right away figure out who said what....Can something like this be done too? Or can someone else's text be made different (maybe in a different style/font) than my text, within a post when quoting from others?

-What happened to my font colouring on my signature?

Anyways, this is just for starters what I like/dislike about "The New VJ"....

And overall, I do like VJ...So keep up the good work, Ewok, and the rest of the VJ staff!

What are your thoughts? What do you think of the new VJ?

Ant

Edited by Ant+D+BabyA

**Ant's 1432.gif1502.gif "Once Upon An American Immigration Journey" Condensed Timeline...**

2000 (72+ Months) "Loved": Long-Distance Dating Relationship. D Visited Ant in Canada.

2006 (<1 Month) "Visited": Ant Visited D in America. B-2 Visa Port of Entry Interrogation.

2006 (<1 Month) "Married": Wedding Elopement. Husband & Wife, D and Ant !! Together Forever!

2006 ( 3 Months I-485 Wait) "Adjusted": 2-Years Green Card.

2007 ( 2 Months) "Numbered": SSN Card.

2007 (<1 Months) "Licensed": NYS 4-Years Driver's License.

2009 (10 Months I-751 Wait) "Removed": 10-Years 5-Months Green Card.

2009 ( 9 Months Baby Wait) "Expected": Baby. It's a Boy, Baby A !!! We Are Family, Ant+D+BabyA !

2009 ( 4 Months) "Moved": New House Constructed and Moved Into.

2009 ( 2 Months N-400 Wait) "Naturalized": US Citizenship, Certificate of Naturalization. Goodbye USCIS!!!!

***Ant is a Naturalized American Citizen!!***: November 23, 2009 (Private Oath Ceremony: USCIS Office, Buffalo, NY, USA)

2009 (<1 Month) "Secured": US Citizen SSN Card.

2009 (<1 Month) "Enhanced": US Citizen NYS 8-Years Enhanced Driver's License. (in lieu of a US Passport)

2010 ( 1 Month) "Voted": US Citizen NYS Voter's Registration Card.

***~~~"The End...And the Americans, Ant+D+BabyA, lived 'Happily Ever After'!"...~~~***

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Turkey
Timeline

I thought something was wrong with my computer too :)

I like it except for one thing. Same thing OP listed. When someone quotes a post you can't tell where the quote stops and the new post begins. Makes reading the message a little difficult.

02/23/08 - Met in Turkey
07/09/08 - Denial of Visitor Visa to U.S.A.
06/04/09 - 2nd Denial of Visitor Visa to U.S.A.

09/22/09 - I-129F Sent
09/24/2009 - NOA1
10/19/2009 - NOA2

INTERVIEW DATE - February 23, 2010 - also the two year anniversary of the day we met smile.png

03/30/2010 - Married

04/29/2010 - Mailed AOS Packet
07/14/2010 - AOS Approved!
07/24/2010 - Green Card in Hand!

04/26/2012 - Mailed ROC Packet
01/03/2012- ROC Approved

01/10/2013 - 10 year Green Card in Hand

04/14/2102 - Mailed N400 Packet

05/13/2013 - Biometrics
08/19/2013 - Citizenship interview

09/18/2013 - Oath Cermony.

It's finally all over! He's a citizen :)

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: India
Timeline

Hi ,

I am not too fond of the new VJ,sorry to be a little blunt,but it will take some time I guess getting used to change.

But I am unable to access my own message inbox :(,now that is so not cool!

Is anyone else facing this?What can be done ?

Anwesha

K-1 Visa

11/03/09:I-129F sent to VSC

11/06/09:NOA1

03/02/10:NOA2 !!!

05/24/10:Interview!!-Approved!

POE: 28th June

AOS

07/20/2010: AOS sent

07/21/2010: Received at Chicago Lockbox

07/27/2010:text and email notifications received,cheque cashed!

07/30/2010:NOA1 received for EAD

08/02/2010:NOA1s for AOS/AP received

08/11/2010: AP touched

08/18/2010:I-485 transferred to CSC

08/19/2010:I-485 touched, 08/24: I-485 physically in CSC now,08/25 :I-485 touched

08/27/2010:put in service request with USCIS for Biometrics letter

09/08/2010:AP approved and EAD touched

09/11/2010:AP and EAD touched

09/14/2010:Biometrics walk-in successful (10/01/2010:Original biometrics appt)

09/13/2010:AP last touched

09/14/2010:EAD card production ordered and AOS touched

09/15/2010:EAD and AOS touched

09/20/2010:Received AP in the mail

09/24/2010:EAD in mail

10/13/2010:GC card production ordered

10/14 and 10/15: AOS touched

10/20/2010: GC received- Done with USCIS till June,2012

My humble blog:

http://songbird24.wordpress.com/

event.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Turkey
Timeline

I would quote your post.. but then I don't think you would be able to tell when your post ends and my response starts :)

I think there was a message saying PM system was off line today.. so maybe that is why you can't access your messages?

Yes, the new format will take some getting used to, but it does seem to be easier to search and I do like some of the new things.

Aside from not being able to tell when a quote ends and a new post starts I do have another item that would be nice if it could be changed. The font color of people's signatures is too light to read. Is it possible to make the font color darker? Maybe it is just me and old age setting in.. eyes starting to go :).. but it's so light I have to strain to read my own signature.

What is the "post snapback" link supposed to do? I have clicked on it a few times and nothing happens.

Edited by Jenn and Fuat

02/23/08 - Met in Turkey
07/09/08 - Denial of Visitor Visa to U.S.A.
06/04/09 - 2nd Denial of Visitor Visa to U.S.A.

09/22/09 - I-129F Sent
09/24/2009 - NOA1
10/19/2009 - NOA2

INTERVIEW DATE - February 23, 2010 - also the two year anniversary of the day we met smile.png

03/30/2010 - Married

04/29/2010 - Mailed AOS Packet
07/14/2010 - AOS Approved!
07/24/2010 - Green Card in Hand!

04/26/2012 - Mailed ROC Packet
01/03/2012- ROC Approved

01/10/2013 - 10 year Green Card in Hand

04/14/2102 - Mailed N400 Packet

05/13/2013 - Biometrics
08/19/2013 - Citizenship interview

09/18/2013 - Oath Cermony.

It's finally all over! He's a citizen :)

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

It is the svck. <_<

Don't just open your mouth and prove yourself a fool....put it in writing.

It gets harder the more you know. Because the more you find out, the uglier everything seems.

kodasmall3.jpg

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

Just a few first impressions on the visual navigation of the layout:

The font sizes for the various headers are too close in size difference.

The left column width of a thread seems to be double the size now, leaving less room for the actual text and the alignment is center instead of left, which is visually jarring, IMO.

I'm not see a rich text editor, but maybe it will be implemented at a later time.

The member info on the top right visually looks nice, but it'd be nice to see pop-ups of other members who've just entered/reading the same forum.

I always thought the images of the VJ members on the top of the page was great and I wish it was back up.

I would quote your post.. but then I don't think you would be able to tell when your post ends and my response starts :)

I think there was a message saying PM system was off line today.. so maybe that is why you can't access your messages?

Yes, the new format will take some getting used to, but it does seem to be easier to search and I do like some of the new things.

Aside from not being able to tell when a quote ends and a new post starts I do have another item that would be nice if it could be changed. The font color of people's signatures is too light to read. Is it possible to make the font color darker? Maybe it is just me and old age setting in.. eyes starting to go :).. but it's so light I have to strain to read my own signature.

What is the "post snapback" link supposed to do? I have clicked on it a few times and nothing happens.

Lol..Can you tell where my post begins/ends?

Post-snapback..Basically "snapbacks" to the original post that the words/text were mentioned..try clicking on it again..

As for signature colouring...Go to your profile settings..can change it there..(lol...I just found out...)

The grey was sure hard to see...lol...I think old age is getting to me too (though I'm in my twenties...lol..)

Yes, I agree, it takes some time to get used to.....Oh well....

We all love VJ, nevertheless, right?

Ant (Wondering why I'm still here...my immigration journey ended....lol..)

P.S. Another issue....Look at the profile pages...The spacing is mis-aligned for the basic information section....

**Ant's 1432.gif1502.gif "Once Upon An American Immigration Journey" Condensed Timeline...**

2000 (72+ Months) "Loved": Long-Distance Dating Relationship. D Visited Ant in Canada.

2006 (<1 Month) "Visited": Ant Visited D in America. B-2 Visa Port of Entry Interrogation.

2006 (<1 Month) "Married": Wedding Elopement. Husband & Wife, D and Ant !! Together Forever!

2009 ( 9 Months Baby Wait) "Expected": Baby. It's a Boy, Baby A !!! We Are Family, Ant+D+BabyA !

2009 ( 2 Months N-400 Wait) "Naturalized": US Citizenship, Certificate of Naturalization. Goodbye USCIS!!!!

***Ant is a Naturalized American Citizen!!***: November 23, 2009 (Private Oath Ceremony: USCIS Office, Buffalo, NY, USA)

2009 (<1 Month) "Enhanced": US Citizen NYS 8-Years Enhanced Driver's License. (in lieu of a US Passport)

***~~~"The End...And the Americans, Ant+D+BabyA, lived 'Happily Ever After'!"...~~~***

Lol...Ewok and/or other admin are here...!

The quote snapback feature is gone....

Thanks for putting back the quote boxes!

Ant

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline
The left column width of a thread seems to be double the size now, leaving less room for the actual text and the alignment is center instead of left, which is visually jarring, IMO.

I agree. And does a person's whole profile need to be showing? And where are the hearts?

Don't just open your mouth and prove yourself a fool....put it in writing.

It gets harder the more you know. Because the more you find out, the uglier everything seems.

kodasmall3.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

can't edit timelines either.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

I actually prefer no "happy couples" at the top of the forum. Happy couples are a dead giveaway at work that the site isn't "work related".

Our journey together on this earth has come to an end.

I will see you one day again, my love.

I like the add friend button under the profile, makes it quick and easy if it's a tool you use.

Agreed, we don't need the 'interests' section of someone's profile listed on every post they make, but the rest is useful.

Can the 'post reply' section be moved above the attachments section? I rarely attach anything, and think this is true for most members, but we all use the 'post reply' button and it's helpful to have it appear in the same 'screen' without scrolling down for it. I realise, of course, that it depends on individual screen resolutions though.

I agree. And does a person's whole profile need to be showing? And where are the hearts?

Ooh, hearts just came back!

ETA: Ooh, interests are now gone! lol The power of the Nagishkaw :D

ETAA: Ahh, just realised that the ones without interests listed are those who haven't completed that section of their profiles. Duh.

Edited by SunDrop

Timeline Summary:

K-1/K-2 NOA1 - POE: 9 February - 9 July 2010

Married: 17 July 2010

AOS mailed - Interview : 22 November 2010 - 10 March 2011

ROC mailed - approved: 14 February - 18 June 2013

Citizenship mailed - ceremony: 9 February - 7 June 2017

VJ K-2 AOS Guide

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Word on that, sister!

Gah, my EYES!!!

It is the svck. <_<

USCIS

NOA #2: Approval June 25th, 2009 - 92 days

NVC

July 8, 2009 to August 10, 2009 - 28 days

Interview Assigned - December 3, 2009 - FINALLY!!

Medical - December 14, 2009 - Passed

Embassy/Interview - January 26, 2010 Montreal, Quebec Canada - 167 days PASSED!!!

Port of Entry - February 26, 2010 Baltimore International, Maryland

USCIS -- ROC package sent off

November 26, 2011 to Vermont station November 30, 2011 received NOA1December 16, 2011 received biometrics appointment.

January 04, 2012 Biometrics

September 2, 2012, RFE Received.

September 22, 2012 RFE responded to

October 15, 2012 ROC approved, 10 Green card on its way.

kermit_the_frog1237963302.jpg

"Here's some simple advice: Always be yourself. Never take yourself too seriously.

And beware of advice from experts, pigs, and members of Parliament."

Kermit the Frog

Visit my News Feed Page -- Good Reads for Everyone!