HowieD

Son born in America by illegal mom

47 posts in this topic

If she entered illegally (without inspection) there is no option to adjust status.
This is not necessarily true.

For example this person might qualify under INA 245i:

http://immigration.about.com/library/weekly/aa121500a.htm

1. Physically present in the United States on December 21, 2000;

2. An immigration petition or a labor certificate application is filed for the benefit of the Alien on or before April 30, 2001;

3. The immigration petition or the labor certification application must be approvable at the time of filing. (It means that the application is good on its face); and

Paying the $1,000 penalty fee at the time of filing I-485.

Have an immigration lawyer who specializes in removal defense look at your case. The consultation fee might be all you need to know your fate.

That article was written December 15, 2000 and dealt with rules that applied at the time and expired in 2001. It does nothing for someone that is just now deciding to seek legal status. I stand by my original statement.

05/16/2005 I-129F Sent

05/28/2005 I-129F NOA1

06/21/2005 I-129F NOA2

07/18/2005 Consulate Received package from NVC

11/09/2005 Medical

11/16/2005 Interview APPROVED

12/05/2005 Visa received

12/07/2005 POE Minneapolis

12/17/2005 Wedding

12/20/2005 Applied for SSN

01/14/2005 SSN received in the mail

02/03/2006 AOS sent (Did not apply for EAD or AP)

02/09/2006 NOA

02/16/2006 Case status Online

05/01/2006 Biometrics Appt.

07/12/2006 AOS Interview APPROVED

07/24/2006 GC arrived

05/02/2007 Driver's License - Passed Road Test!

05/27/2008 Lifting of Conditions sent (TSC > VSC)

06/03/2008 Check Cleared

07/08/2008 INFOPASS (I-551 stamp)

07/08/2008 Driver's License renewed

04/20/2009 Lifting of Conditions approved

04/28/2009 Card received in the mail

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
That article was written December 15, 2000 and dealt with rules that applied at the time and expired in 2001. It does nothing for someone that is just now deciding to seek legal status. I stand by my original statement.
The date of the article is irrelvent, you can go down to EOIR and hear plenty of cases adjudicated under 245i today. Here is one exmaple.

A qualifying relative, say a sibling filed an I-130 for you 7 years ago. You are still technically waiting for a visa number. However, you decided not wait and entered illegally a year later say in early 2000 and have remained since. Now, today, you go ahead and try to adjust, you will be 245i eligible.

So your blanket rule does not apply to every circumstance of illegal entry as you make it sound.

• 4 weeks later...
Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Argentina
Timeline

The son can't do anything until he's 21 years old, I believe

AOS

01-29-07 - marriage

02-07-07 - AOS package mailed to Chicago

02-09-07 - AOS package delivered

02-13-07 - NOA1 date

02-21-07 - Biometrics letter

02-24-07 - NOA1 received

03-01-07 - Biometrics taken

03-15-07 - Transferred to The Sucky/Slow Center (TSC)... to "speed up" processing.

03-17-07 - Transferred notice e-mail

03-20-07 - Received TSC transfer letter

03-21-07 - application pending at TSC e-mail.

05-14-07 - Misinfopass appt. COMPLETE WASTE OF TIME.

06-05-07 - I-131 e-filed

06-11-07 - AP NOA1

07-09-07 - Received weird looking letter for AP, but online status hasn't changed

Last Touch - AOS 3/24, AP 7/03

aW1hZ2UucGhwPzQ2JkkrY291bGQraGF2ZStnb3R0ZW4rYStEZWxsJjAwMDAwMCYwMDAwMDAmMTImMTAmYyYwJjcmMiYyMDA3JjcmMCY0Mzc4NDcwMDExODEyMjE5ODguJw==.gif

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: Timeline
For once someone pointed out that why are illegals asking so much information. It is very very unfair to those of us who have waited in line for extended periods of time to be cut off by illegals adjusting status. I dont think their is ever any reason to being illegal regardless. Overstay that may be understood but entering the country illegally and then marrying someone who is legal that is quiet dishonest even if the person is green card holders. Green card, US citizen spouses have to wait years. Why do these people want to take the short cut by applying for a waiver

I kind of agree with this. It chaps my hide to wait...and wait and wait and wait and wait to do things nice and 100% legal while fence-jumpers who are breaking the law apply for AOS. It's time to seal off the border; it's not even funny anymore, it's a matter of national security.

24 June 2007: Leaving day/flying to Dallas-Fort Worth

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline

For once someone pointed out that why are illegals asking so much information. It is very very unfair to those of us who have waited in line for extended periods of time to be cut off by illegals adjusting status. I dont think their is ever any reason to being illegal regardless. Overstay that may be understood but entering the country illegally and then marrying someone who is legal that is quiet dishonest even if the person is green card holders. Green card, US citizen spouses have to wait years. Why do these people want to take the short cut by applying for a waiver

I kind of agree with this. It chaps my hide to wait...and wait and wait and wait and wait to do things nice and 100% legal while fence-jumpers who are breaking the law apply for AOS. It's time to seal off the border; it's not even funny anymore, it's a matter of national security.

You have Annie's and My concurrence. So I am going to ask all citizens to contact all of their Federally Elected Representatives and get that Fence Bill approved and Funded. The current version going through is not funded, so it will go nowhere.

I do take pity on those that want to contribute to the "American Way". Not the people who take their turn, enter illegally and send most of their money back home.

2005 Aug 27 Happily Married

As someone who was married to an illegal I can safely say, our journey was not any faster than anyone else's and we didn't get any special treatment. We still had to do the same process as you all did. Plus wait longer because he was denied and we had to file the waiver. Most "illegals" you are talking about "hopping the fence" can't adjust status here. It's very rare you find one who has a petition on file already and qualifies for the AOS rule. Most end up going back to Mexico and waiting out the waiver. Why don't you make sure you have an idea about how things actually work before you go off spouting nonsense.

As for the fence idea, that's not the answer. There are fences already and apparently you all feel they "hop" them all the time to get here. The answer is coming up with some kind of system that allows all immigrants the same opportunities as the next. If it were easier, simpler, and less expensive to receive work visas, I'd venture to say most legitimate immigrants would go this route. I know my husband would have. They know what they do is wrong but for them it's the only option they have at that moment to better their lives and their families lives.

Just couldn't stay my @ss away!

As someone who was married to an illegal I can safely say, our journey was not any faster than anyone else's and we didn't get any special treatment. We still had to do the same process as you all did. Plus wait longer because he was denied and we had to file the waiver. Most "illegals" you are talking about "hopping the fence" can't adjust status here. It's very rare you find one who has a petition on file already and qualifies for the AOS rule. Most end up going back to Mexico and waiting out the waiver. Why don't you make sure you have an idea about how things actually work before you go off spouting nonsense.

As for the fence idea, that's not the answer. There are fences already and apparently you all feel they "hop" them all the time to get here. The answer is coming up with some kind of system that allows all immigrants the same opportunities as the next. If it were easier, simpler, and less expensive to receive work visas, I'd venture to say most legitimate immigrants would go this route. I know my husband would have. They know what they do is wrong but for them it's the only option they have at that moment to better their lives and their families lives.

I don't agree with throwing the doors open and simply documenting everyone who wants to come to the United States. Immigration to the US should be controlled and numbers of non-family immigrants should be limited.

If you want to see what uncontrolled mass migration is doing to the United Kingdom, I'd love to discuss it with you. You really don't want more of that in the US. Documented or not it has a massive impact that the rest of us do pay for.

Please don't put words in my mouth. I never said, anywhere in my post, that I agreed with mass migration. I just stated it's much easier for some countries to get work/tourist visas than others. It should be on an equal field. Plus, I don't know about your VJ but our's was pretty darn expensive. So much so that if Javier had tried to do it on his own, never having come to the US, he wouldn't have been able too. I'm sure you realize this, but I'm going say it anyway. Most of the illegal aliens can't afford to come here legally. Thus, the reason they come illegally. As I said before, I'd venture to say they'd do it legally if they had the means to do so.

So, again I say, a fence is not going to fix that problem. The problem will still exist. There needs to be a major immigration overhaul if they want to even think about making a dent in the illegal alien population.

Just couldn't stay my @ss away!

There is a big difference between illegals and those that entered legally. For one thing, those that entered illegally cannot adjust status regardless if they are married to a USC.

Those that are illegal, as I stated before, are just as entitled to ask questions about doing things the right way....thus returning to their country of residence, where they will be denied the visa and then able to file a waiver. Waivers, as stated by other members, is not a shortcut as they take quite some time to process and not all are approved.

Off with the blinkers, I say :)

You can find me on FBI

An overview of Security Name Checks And Administrative Review at Service Center, NVC & Consulate levels.

Detailed Review USCIS Alien Security Checks

fb2fc244.gif72c97806.gif4d488a91.gif

11324375801ij.gif

View Timeline HERE

I am but a wench not a lawyer. My advice and opinion is just that. I read, I research, I learn.

I'd just like to add that some 'illegals' were minors that were brought here by their parents and may not even have been aware of the consequences, never mind having a choice in the matter. :) Kudos to any that want to do something about correcting the situation. I imagine it must be horribly stressful lving that way.

"diaddie mermaid"

You can 'catch' me on here and on FBI.

I'd just like to add that some 'illegals' were minors that were brought here by their parents and may not even have been aware of the consequences, never mind having a choice in the matter. :) Kudos to any that want to do something about correcting the situation. I imagine it must be horribly stressful lving that way.

If they were brought over by their parents then that's not their fault. But for the rest of them, jumping over the fence was a choice...a choice that has consequences. I think I've made my feelings on this clear in other threads so no need to beat a dead horse here.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
Please don't put words in my mouth. I never said, anywhere in my post, that I agreed with mass migration

Well what was this comment?

The answer is coming up with some kind of system that allows all immigrants the same opportunities as the next. If it were easier, simpler, and less expensive to receive work visas, I'd venture to say most legitimate immigrants would go this route.
I just stated it's much easier for some countries to get work/tourist visas than others. It should be on an equal field.

As far as I am aware all Countries are on the same footing for work visa's. There is certainly a difference for tourist visa's, but I doubt of anybody is going to EWI to visit Disneyland?

I know CDJ has slowed down recently, but it certainly was the case when I was going through the process that it was a lot quicker to get a Waiver approved than a K1. Probably not a lot in it at the moment.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline
I know CDJ has slowed down recently, but it certainly was the case when I was going through the process that it was a lot quicker to get a Waiver approved than a K1. Probably not a lot in it at the moment.

Not sure if I misunderstood your comment - did you mean there are probably not a lot of waivers in at CDJ at the moment? They get 10 per day according to the director of DHS in Ciudad Juarez and it's taking around 9 months for approval.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

Not sure if I misunderstood your comment - did you mean there are probably not a lot of waivers in at CDJ at the moment? They get 10 per day according to the director of DHS in Ciudad Juarez and it's taking around 9 months for approval.

Oops - that was supposed to say 100 per day

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

A waiver though CDJ used to take 3-6 months, when a K was taking nearly a year, so the waiver was quicker than a K.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.