confusing

should i get an attorney to handle the K-1 visa.. or do it myself?

39 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

confusing

It is a confusing process, but I agree with the posts above.

1. I don't think anyone on VJ is an attorney so we can't give you "legal" advice, however there are so many well-versed members here that have common sense and applied knowledge. Remember no-one is going to be as vested in your visa process as you and your significant other.

2. Attorneys are expensive and slow the process from everything I've heard...if you really want this you'll learn to take the time to sit down and focus, re-read all instructions, read your completed forms four times for mistakes and then have someone else read them as well and always make three or four copies of everything....just in case.

Good luck with your process and speedy journey!

07-24-09 : MARRIED!!!

08-17-09 : I-130 Sent

08-24-09 : I-130 NOA1

09-24-09 : I-130 Approved

10-06-09 : NVC Received

10-17-09 : We Received DS-3032

10-19-09 : Returned Completed DS-3032

11-04-09 : Received IV Bill

11-05-09 : Paid IV Bill online

11-05-09 : Received Instruction Packet

11-21-09 : Paid I-864 fee online

11-19-09 : Received I-864 Package

11-20-09 : FedEx del. DS-230

11-23-09 : RFE on I-864

11-23-09 : Letter of Explanation sent covering dependent issue for RFE on I-864

11-25-09 : Letter Received by NVC

11-30-09 : Return Comp. I-864 signed for by J. Desmond

12-07-09 : Called NVC and they do not show receipt of DS-230 even thought it "may be in the building"

12-09-09 : RFE DS-230-Called NVC and found out we have an RFE on the DS-230, line 30....

12-10-09 : Overnighted RFE requested documents to NVC

12-28-09 : Flew to Lahore...couldn't stand being parted this long...two weeks with the hubby!!

01-05-10 : LOGIN FAILED!!

01-11-10 : Interview scheduled for Feb 4th!!! (doing the happy dance)

02-04-10 : APPROVED...but placed in AP

06-02-10 : STILL WAITING FOR VISA...will this ever be finished and we can finally be together?

07-09-10 : Visa Received!!!

07-17-10 : Arrived in the US safely via Chicago :-)

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
confusing

It is a confusing process, but I agree with the posts above.

1. I don't think anyone on VJ is an attorney so we can't give you "legal" advice, however there are so many well-versed members here that have common sense and applied knowledge. Remember no-one is going to be as vested in your visa process as you and your significant other.

Again, yes there are attorney's on the boards but they cannot give PERSONALISED legal advice, just general advice on the law. For personalised advice you would need to employ an attorney and explain the ins and outs of your specific case in a consultation with said attorney.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Italy
Timeline

No having Lupus should not affect the petition since it is not a communicable disease (spread)... But she will need to provide documentation and treatment history. Also check about adding her to your medical plan as this might be an issue with pre-existing conditions

10/14/2000 - Met Aboard a Cruise ship

06/14/2003 - Married Savona Italy

I-130

03/21/2009 - I-130 Mailed to Chicago lockbox

11-30-09: GOT GREEN CARD in mail!!!!!!

Citizenship Process;

1/11/2013: Mailed N400 to Dallas Texas

3/11/2013: interview.. Approved

4/4/2013. : Oath! Now a U.S. citizen!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline
we can not advise you not to use an attorney as none of us are attorneys here and can not give you legal advise........

with that being said.......we used an attorney for a couple of issues we THOUGHT we needed an attorney for neither of those issues were addressed in the petition.....we ended up being the ones that have aggressively fought for our case......our attorney has not helped us with anything other than send the original petition to csc...that we filled out and gave him....because those two issues were not addressed in our original petition we are now on AP at embassy after the interview.....my fiance was grilled over the issue and no attention was really given to our case.......we have contacted the attorney MANY times feeling he could earn his money at least at this stage of the process and never heard back from him or anyone in his office.......if i had found vj before hiring the attorney i fully feel that we would already be married here in the USA and our life would be moving forward...........

just my opinion

sara

I completely agree with Gary and Sara. I hired an attorney becuase I thought I needed one to address the red flags that I thought I had. But, after the approval most everything I ended up doing my self. We are at AP at the consulate as well, and I informed my attorney what happened and she heard what happened at the interview, but there is nothing she was able to do after that. They requested documents at the consulate and we have submitted those, but that was something we gathered on our own without their help. The legal secretary typed our papers and I actually sat there when she typed it and it took her forever. I could have done this all myself. Attorneys are helpful and they give good advice, but they are not going to be on top of your case. Meaning don't expect them to send your paperwork immediately. If god forbid our K-1 visa does not get approved and we have to do CR-1 I am going to do it by myself and I am confident that things will go smoother.

Star

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
thanks so much for the information everyone. i will attempt to do this myself.. given all the advice here.

i was reading over the wiki here, and it seems our case is straight forward... the only thing im concerned about is the "medical exam" what exactly are they looking for during the exam? she has lupus, will that hinder our application in any way?

I'm not a doctor but I would think the main issue if it's chronic and if its only affecting the skin. I suggest you see a private doctor and get the low down before going into the medical exam. Im sorry if I missed where your fiance is. Was it the Philippines? The infamous St. Lukes Hospital?

Good luck

Here is my opinion

Attorneys who specialize in this can do nothing for you unless you do nearly all yourself anyway. There are no court actions, no appearances, no motions, no hearings, basically nothing for an a attorney to do. The process is very cut and dried and is handled completely anonymously by USCIS. There is no one to talk to (unless you count bubble brained telephone operators) and no one for an attorney to negotiate with.

You will need to fill out TWO forms. The I-129f and the G-325a (one G-325a for each you and your fiancee) Download them from this site. Start yo fill them out. You will see it is really quite easy. You know yourparents names, right? Does ANY attorney know your parents names? You will have to tell him, right? So instead of writing it down on a piece of paper for an attorney, why not write it don on the G-325a? Same for your date of birth, your address, etc.

You will then have to attach some documents to the petition. Your bbirth certificate for example. You have it, your attorney does not. You will have to collect all these documents and bring them to the attorney. he will make copies (8 cents each at Staples if you don't have a copy machine) and gove back you originals. Have we come across something you CAN'T do yet? Tell me when we do, OK?

Do you think an attorney can do this faster than you? You can stay up tonight and get it ready to put in the mail on Monday. You think an attorney will stay up late on Saturday and work on Sunday to get your petition ready for Monday?

You have to attach some evidence you have met your fiancee. Does the attorney have this? Or do you?

It is impossible for an attorney to do anything worth what they charge you. They will pay a secretary to fill out these forms using the information they get from you. You will make copies of all the documents (or they will charge you extra fees to use their copy machine) .

Now some people will say you need an attorney if your case has "problems". This is possibly true. IF your case has problems, you know this and don't need to ask. IF your case has problems it will cost you FAR MORE for an attorney than the basic "fill in the forms" cost.

My suggestion is to try it first. Download the forms, start filling them in. Read the guides and instructions. When you have done that (and you should do that even if you have an attorney, you need to be aware of this process as it will be a big part of your life for several years) and you have some specific questions...then ask them here. You will get an answer 24/7/365 in just a few minutes. Your attorney will never call you back faster.

IF any attorney even suggests they can get the petition or visa for you faster than normal, RUN!!!!!!

Good luck.

:thumbs:

02/2003 - Met

08/24/09 I-129F; 09/02 NOA1; 10/14 NOA2; 11/24 interview; 11/30 K-1 VISA (92 d); 12/29 POE 12/31/09 Marriage

03/29/-04/06/10 - AOS sent/rcd; 04/13 NOA1; AOS 2 NBC

04/14 $1010 cashed; 04/19 NOA1

04/28 Biom.

06/16 EAD/AP

06/24 Infops; AP mail

06/28 EAD mail; travel 2 BKK; return 07/17

07/20/10 interview, 4d. b4 I-129F anniv. APPROVAL!*

08/02/10 GC

08/09/10 SSN

2012-05-16 Lifting Cond. - I-751 sent

2012-06-27 Biom,

2013-01-10 7 Mo, 2 Wks. & 5 days - 10 Yr. PR Card (no interview)

*2013-04-22 Apply for citizenship (if she desires at that time) 90 days prior to 3yr anniversary of P. Residence

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
I'm not a doctor but I would think the main issue if it's chronic and if its only affecting the skin. I suggest you see a private doctor and get the low down before going into the medical exam. Im sorry if I missed where your fiance is. Was it the Philippines? The infamous St. Lukes Hospital?

Good luck

well, it's lupus, she has to go for a checkup monthly for a blood/urine test to make sure the medication is keeping it in check. it's not a very severe case or anything.

yeah, shes in the philippines... manila - so i'm guessing st lukes? is there something i should know about st lukes?

thanks again everyone for your advice. ive spent hours today pouring over the wiki here. it's extremely helpful along with everyone's advice.

i suggest not.

we have this problem too for hiring a lawyer.sometimes u cant update in your own.u need to call your layer and ask some papers u dont know ..only the lawyer u have.just do it to yourself.so u can familiarize your papers.and if there something missing when u send that one they will be asking your missing papers.and just do some reseach and u can find site from here..some guidelines how to start and end your paper.

u can even ask some people from here who been through thesame papers u gonna file with.and 99 percent they will give u the exact answer.

tmPe.jpg8sYym8.png

yesXm8.png

VS7lm8.png

well, it's lupus, she has to go for a checkup monthly for a blood/urine test to make sure the medication is keeping it in check. it's not a very severe case or anything.

yeah, shes in the philippines... manila - so i'm guessing st lukes? is there something i should know about st lukes?

thanks again everyone for your advice. ive spent hours today pouring over the wiki here. it's extremely helpful along with everyone's advice.

ive done my medical last jan 07.just present those papers that they needed.and make sure u answer all the blank that need to be filled becasue they are mean...huhuh...but no choice u need to swallow your pride they might give u a note in your paper.

2 person i encounter there soo mean 1.the registration area,that very frist person u will encounter 2.and in the 3 or 2nd floor where u will have your chest x-ray.

tmPe.jpg8sYym8.png

yesXm8.png

VS7lm8.png

medical exam is only to determine if u have tuberculusis(its a desease so common in the philippines because we are a tropical country and to determined if u are HIV positive.

the only thng u needed is to know when u have chicken and the scar,when is your fisrt last mens, your immunization shot and the scar, do u have allergy bcause it might contradict to the vaccination they will give u..and do u have previous x-ray if u do just bring it.if u dont hve it its fine.that all i remeber for now.

tmPe.jpg8sYym8.png

yesXm8.png

VS7lm8.png

in our case we did it by ourselves, my fiance filed our paper aug 21, 2009 and visa approved jan 4. sometimes getting an attorney will slow the process of your papers like a friend of mine they filed it May 2009 and till now haven't got a letter from the US embassy.

we

reading through this thread, it seems most of you did all the paper work/processing yourself. i was thinking of going through an attorney that specializes in this type of thing - do any of you veterans have an opinion on that? good idea, if i want to make sure it's done correctly / followed through?

if it's a good idea, do you recommend a specific place to go through for a K-1?

mario and cath

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
thanks so much for the information everyone. i will attempt to do this myself.. given all the advice here.

i was reading over the wiki here, and it seems our case is straight forward... the only thing im concerned about is the "medical exam" what exactly are they looking for during the exam? she has lupus, will that hinder our application in any way?

No. Lupus is not a communicable disease. They are looking for communicable diseases and also do a drug test.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

:(

Here is my opinion

Attorneys who specialize in this can do nothing for you unless you do nearly all yourself anyway. There are no court actions, no appearances, no motions, no hearings, basically nothing for an a attorney to do. The process is very cut and dried and is handled completely anonymously by USCIS. There is no one to talk to (unless you count bubble brained telephone operators) and no one for an attorney to negotiate with...

I'm new to the visa process and am thanking God for having found VJ and for all the kind and helpful people that I've come across on here. Just wanted to say thanks, 'Gary and Alla', for your post with much needed information.:thumbs: I had a consultation with an immigration lawyer a month ago, before I found VJ. It cost me $300 of my hard earned money (and $300 is A LOT of money for me!) :( and I didn't get anywhere near the insight, suggestions, or advice as I have from the people and the information on here! So thanks again.

Jenn

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.