brendon1101rebz

wrong spelled name in immigration records

10 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

hi everyone..

me and my husband went to SSI to apply for my SSN.

then the lady asked for my passport, visa, I94 and marriage certificate.

she also checked the records from immigration database in her computer.

she said that my family name was misspelled in the immigration records.

that's why she's having a hard time to put my name in the SSI record coz it says invalid/no match found.

she did the old way of registering my name.. and told me to be back tomorrow and she'll be giving me my SSN.

now my question is, can my records in SSI (with right spelled name) correct the wrong spelled name in immigration database?

what should i do to correct it? we're planning to send my AOS papers this coming Friday.

I'm avoiding RFE that's why I want everything in order.

I'm so stressed and worried. I really need your replies.

thanks in advance.

miKK-10b.gif

I doubt the SS records would "update" the immigration records.

You may want to contact USCIS (infopass perhaps) to see about correcting your records.

My Advice is usually based on "Worst Case Scenario" and what is written in the rules/laws/instructions. That is the way I roll... -Protect your Status - file before your I-94 expires.

WARNING: Phrases in this post may sound meaner than they were intended to be. Read the Adjudicator's Field Manual from USCIS

Check your copies of your original I-129F, your application for visa and your visa. Is there a misspelling on any of these. First you should try to locate the source of the inconsistency. If it is on your original I-129F petition, I would leave it if you're planning on taking your husband's name as your name will change, but would make sure to try to correct this if you're planning on keeping your name.

funny-dog-pictures-wtf.jpg

Timeline

our form I-129F is correct spelled. my passport, I-94, visa, marriage certificate, IDs and even birth certificate are all in correct spelling.

NOA1 and NOA2, even emails from USCIS are all correct that's why i was shocked when the info from immigration database was misspelled.

I'm now using my husband's family name, but the misspelled name is my my first/given name...

that's why I'm really worried. I can't trace where did that error came from.

still hoping for more replies.. thanks in advance.

miKK-10b.gif

our form I-129F is correct spelled. my passport, I-94, visa, marriage certificate, IDs and even birth certificate are all in correct spelling.

NOA1 and NOA2, even emails from USCIS are all correct that's why i was shocked when the info from immigration database was misspelled.

I'm now using my husband's family name, but the misspelled name is my my first/given name...

Perhaps the SS person was entering your name wrong into the computer, and just said that? Did you actually see the misspelling in the immigration database?

My Advice is usually based on "Worst Case Scenario" and what is written in the rules/laws/instructions. That is the way I roll... -Protect your Status - file before your I-94 expires.

WARNING: Phrases in this post may sound meaner than they were intended to be. Read the Adjudicator's Field Manual from USCIS

Timeline

Perhaps the SS person was entering your name wrong into the computer, and just said that? Did you actually see the misspelling in the immigration database?

yes. she printed the copy she found in immigration database.. i'm really worried.

miKK-10b.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Make an infopass appointment at your local USCIS office. Bring along your documents showing that the name is correct everywhere except for when you entered the country. Bring along the print out from SSA. Request that they correct the misspelled name. You can make an infopass at http://www.uscis.gov . On the right hand side is an option to 'schedule an appointment'. Follow the instructions there and select the option that is closest to your situation - it may not be exact. Good luck.

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

I have the similar problem - last name (maiden name) spelled wrongly in the immigration database.

I went for applying the SSN a month after I entered the US together with my valid I-94 and marriage certificate, I planned to have my married name on the card, that's why I didn't go before I got married. Unfortunately, the SSA staff told me that my last name she keyed in according to my passport/I-94 didn't match with the one in the immigration database, and that she was not able to issue me a SSN. She didn't make a print out but turned the computer screen for me to take a look. Yes, my actual last name is Loke, but Luke was showed on the computer screen. There was no way for her to get it changed. She then advised me to make an info pass at the local USCIS office (Baltimore) which I did, but still couldn't get it fixed as I was told by the USCIS people that there was nothing they could do right at the moment. They would get it fixed only when I file for the AOS. And they also mentioned that SSN indeed is not needed if I am not working. Since I can get a joint account with my husband without the SSN, I just leave it the way it is.

And now, I have filed for the AOS. I got the NOAs for AOS/AP/EAD and check was cashed after a week the package had been received. I am still waiting for the biometric appointment notice. When I look at the April filers' timeline, most people got their biometric appointment notice pretty fast, say, within a week after the NOA issuance. On my end, there is nothing wrong in the NOAs, name (married name) and address are correct, but it has been already 2 weeks, still hearing nothing about the biometric appoinment...I am starting to get worried. It could be the mismatch last name in the system causes it or it got lost in the mail. I don't know...I am hoping it's not that case... :unsure:

I'll give it a week or 2 to see how things goes. If I didn't receive the biometric appointment letter at the end of this month, I'd make an info pass by then.

Good Luck!!!

K1 TimeLine:

July 21 2008 ~~ Sent I-129F Package via FedEx to VSC

Jan 30 2009 ~~ Interview

Feb 06 2009 ~~ Visa Received

AOS TimeLine:

April 14 2009 ~~ Sent I-485 Package via FedEx to Chicago Lockbox

April 22 2009 ~~ NOAs for AOS/AP/EAD

April 23 2009 ~~ Check Cashed

May 11 2009 ~~ CSC Transfer Notice Received

May 29 2009 ~~ AP Approval Notice Received

June 17 2009 ~~ Biometric Appointment

July 23 2009 ~~ Card Production Ordered Notice Received without Interview

July 30 2009 ~~ Green Card Received in Mail

ROC TimeLine:

May 27 2011 ~~ Sent I-751 Package to VSC

June 1 2011 ~~ Package Received

June 7 2011 ~~ Check Cashed

June 8 2011 ~~ NOA Received (dated June 1)

June 29 2011 ~~ Biometric Appointment Letter Received (scheduled on July 25 @12noon)

Jan 31 2012 ~~ Approval Notice Received without Interview

March 7 2012 ~~ Green Card Received in Mail

Timeline

i wasn't able to get that printed form from immigration. the SSA officer, kept it together with my application form.

will call USCIS tomorrow to ask what's the best thing to do. will update you guys for any development.

thanks for all the replies and advices. keep them coming!

miKK-10b.gif

• 2 months later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

I was filling out my wife's and son's I-485. I discovered that the name on the I-94 differs from the K2 visa of the son. His given name is Yang and the Family name is Li. On the I-94 this is turned around. The I-485, part 3, section A asks for you to give your name as it appears on the I-94. So if I tell them how it appears in the form I am really telling them the wrong name. Does anyone have any advice as to how to deal with this? I am sure this isn't the first time that the USCIS has run into family name being switched with a given name.

Thanks, Timbo

Timbo

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.