Mr. Grey

Enforcing the affidavit of support

16 posts in this topic

Hello all,

my story short and sweet: I am the foreign spouse, came to the U.S. in 2008 to get married to my wife. I brought all my savings, furnished our home, and had some starting capital left so we didn't have to worry while I was still on the outlook for a job.

She left me a couple of months ago and filed for divorce. She's assuming that I have major assets and cash reserves, and alleges everything and anything to get a huge slice of the cake. The problem is: I don't have what she's assuming, I barely have the funds to pay for my lawyer. My fear is now that she is dragging this divorce out, goes into discovery, and spends months and $$$$ just to find out what I already know. I already lost my job a couple of days ago, because I wasn't able to focus any more after she left.

My question pertains to the following: we signed an apartment lease, which ends in July 2010. The monthly rent is $1,300. Since I don't have an income any more, I won't be able to pay the rent from January on. Plus, I don't know where to get money to cover basic expenses like food etc. My plan is to go back to my home country soon, but I can't as long as the divorce is pending and she's playing treasure hunt.

Since she and both of her parents filed an affidavit of support with my GC application, I was wondering if they aren't obligated to help me out financially. Of course, it would be a freaky situation to ask my in-laws for financial aid while the divorce is pending. But their daughter on the other hand could just be reasonable and draw a bottom line under this divorce, since there is nothing to get for her. And as soon as I permanently move back to my home country, my GC becomes void and so does their affidavit of support.

Does anyone here have an answer to my question ?

Thanks.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Italy
Timeline
Hello all,

my story short and sweet: I am the foreign spouse, came to the U.S. in 2008 to get married to my wife. I brought all my savings, furnished our home, and had some starting capital left so we didn't have to worry while I was still on the outlook for a job.

She left me a couple of months ago and filed for divorce. She's assuming that I have major assets and cash reserves, and alleges everything and anything to get a huge slice of the cake. The problem is: I don't have what she's assuming, I barely have the funds to pay for my lawyer. My fear is now that she is dragging this divorce out, goes into discovery, and spends months and $$$$ just to find out what I already know. I already lost my job a couple of days ago, because I wasn't able to focus any more after she left.

My question pertains to the following: we signed an apartment lease, which ends in July 2010. The monthly rent is $1,300. Since I don't have an income any more, I won't be able to pay the rent from January on. Plus, I don't know where to get money to cover basic expenses like food etc. My plan is to go back to my home country soon, but I can't as long as the divorce is pending and she's playing treasure hunt.

Since she and both of her parents filed an affidavit of support with my GC application, I was wondering if they aren't obligated to help me out financially. Of course, it would be a freaky situation to ask my in-laws for financial aid while the divorce is pending. But their daughter on the other hand could just be reasonable and draw a bottom line under this divorce, since there is nothing to get for her. And as soon as I permanently move back to my home country, my GC becomes void and so does their affidavit of support.

Does anyone here have an answer to my question ?

Thanks.

I am so sorry to hear about this. You may want to check and see if it is required that you stay in country for the divorce. If she has filed you may only need to sign a seperation agreement (from anywhere in the world) and at least in my state you are not required to attend the divorce court date unless you are the one that filed.

Good luck to you, and again sorry about your situation.

09/25/2009 I-129F sent

09/28/2009 Received VSC

09/29/2009 NOA1

10/02/2009 Touched

10/06/2009 Touched again :)

10/07/2009 TOUCHED!!

11/04/2009 NOA2

11/10/2009 NVC Received

11/10/2009 NVC Sent to Napoli

11/12/2009 Napoli signed for the package

11/19/2009 Packet 3 received... and submitted

12/10/2009 INTERVIEW Napoli, Italy

12/10/2009 APPROVED!

12/23/2009 Trip to Italy for Christmas!

01/24/2010 POE Washington Dulles.. My baby's home!

03/20/2010 Wedding Day!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

The affidavit of support only pertains to means tested government benefits, not to spousal support etc, so you won;t be able to draw money from there.

However, with a good lawyer in place, I see no reason why you couldn;t go back to Germany now?

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: Other Timeline

I would suggest you mention to your attorney that he remind her attorney of the affidavit of support filing especially the fact that her parents are also liable. That may very well put an end to her demands.

If it is your intention to return home, you can likely do so while the divorce is in process. Your lawyer should be able to clear that up.

You should surrender your green card to the Service before you go home.

Edited by rebeccajo

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

I guess the question for me is when are you planning on moving back to Germany? I'm thinking are you looking for another job? If so, this may all be moot.

Like others have said, once you sign that you received a copy of the divorce filing and (in Missouri anyhow), if you sign that you will not appear at the hearing, there is no reason why you have to stay in the US.

I wish you luck in all this.

Life's just a crazy ride on a run away train

You can't go back for what you've missed

So make it count, hold on tight find a way to make it right

You only get one trip

So make it good, make it last 'cause it all flies by so fast

You only get one trip

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

Daniel,

Sorry to hear about your situation. I'm sorry, I don't have any advice for you. Good luck.

I filed, she countered. That's why I will have to be here, in case there are hearings or the final trial.

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : Frankfurt, Germany

01-04-2008 - I-129F Sent

01-09-2008 - I-129F NOA1

03-05-2008 - I-129F NOA2

04-08-2008 - Medical Exam

04-17-2008 - Interview!!!

04-22-2008 - VISA IN HAND!

05-02-2008 - U.S. Entrance

06-14-2008 - MARRIAGE!

Phase 2....

06-19-2008 - Sent AOS/EAD/AP

06-26-2008 - AOS/EAD/AP NOA1

07-19-2008 - Biometrics

07-22-2008 - Transferred to CSC!

07-28-2008 - Email from CRIS confirming CSC received case

08-25-2008 - Received AP in the mail (NO STATUS CHANGE OR CRIS EMAIL)

08-29-2008 - Received EAD card in the mail (NO STATUS CHANGE OR CRIS EMAIL)

09-22-2008 - Received Email from CRIS for I-485 "CARD PRODUCTION ORDERED!"

09-27-2008 - Received Green Card in the mail!

Phase 3....

06-29-2010 - Sent I-751 and package to Remove Conditions

07-06-2010 - NOA1

08-24-2010 - Biometrics

Even if your marriage did not work out, most people do affidavit of supports with no intention of it being used.

In my eyes its really messed up on your part to enforce it. If you are so hard up on money, call your family back home and ask them for money. Or since your marriage did not work out, just go back to your country. Why make other people suffer and pay.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

discovery draws out the divorce process, you betcha.

if you think to stay in usa, get another job and quickly - then I suggest

that you move out of the apartment,

get a room mate situation close to work, pay minimal monies for living, and work.

work 2 jobs, day and night... save your monies...

then when divorce is finalized, either rebuild your life in USA, or go back to home.

If you wanted to go back to home country NOW - then do so, give HER attorney some address on you.

If she's trying to get all she can, then suggest you do NOT SIGN a 'waiver to appear' (or whatever it's called in yer jurisdiction ) as that usually waives all of your rights to contest on prove-up day.

Oh well, that's my 2 jiao - give it a big thought... sure, it's not complete, for your posit, but, those are my thoughts, however malformed.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Even if your marriage did not work out, most people do affidavit of supports with no intention of it being used.

In my eyes its really messed up on your part to enforce it. If you are so hard up on money, call your family back home and ask them for money. Or since your marriage did not work out, just go back to your country. Why make other people suffer and pay.

You're assuming he can get money from Germany. And he said he needs to be here for the divorce at least because she's countered the filing.

I don't think it's messed up to ensure that the laws are followed. If his wife and in-laws didn't feel comfortable with supporting him even if the marriage were to break-down, they never should have signed the forms. We've all talked about this, and I have a fantastic family who have said that they won't let anything bad happen to me financially, even if our marriage were to end.

Edited by Gemmie

Filed: Other Timeline

Mr. Grey,

I'm sorry to hear about the failure of your marriage. Let me share my thoughts on your situation.

First and foremost, I would imagine that you must feel like ####### right now. Your wife moved out, you lost your job, your personal world is tumbling . . . in short, not a situation where it's easy to make the right decisions. Therefore . . . don't do anything dramatic right now. Try to get a clear head.

You mentioned that you want to return to Germany, but don't elaborate on it. You don't have to as it's your personal decision after all, but keep in mind that in a case like yours you could stay and live in the United States, divorced or not. What goes to my head is this: why having done all that, moved to the US, went to the burocratic nightmare, depleted your savings, and then return to the cold Fatherland empty-handed. Why not taking the one positive out of all the negative: you are a lawful permanent resident and eventually can become a US citizen?

Think about it, twice, then sleep on it, and think about it again!

I don't know what State of the Union you are a resident of, but the way I understand it, your wife assumes that you have substantial funds she could tap into. Since that's not the case and you have retained a divorce attorney already, the first thing of action I would do in his case is write a letter to your wife's attorney and lay down a notarized statement of all assets available to you. Basically, outline the rather small extend of the estate in question as a form or reality statement. Once your wife's attorney understands that you won't even be able to pay for his services, their strategy might change.

I'm not sure why your wife would assume you are somewhat wealthy. Had you come to the US and bought a nice home with a pool and gym attached, using cash, bought her a new car, and other goodies, while bragging that life will be good for the two of you, I'd understand. But you are renting an apartment, lost your job, and running out of cash . . . so something is missing in this picture.

You need to move out of your apartment ASAP and into a tiny sh*thole. Once you're out of cash entirely and about to starve to death, you can visit Uncle Sam and ask for help. Then Uncle Sam can, eventually, ask your wife and your in-laws for a reimbursement. That's the entire extend of the affidavit of support thingi.

Hence, it seems to me that the misconception of the martial estate is the main problem here. Clearing this up should be a matter of a week to 10 days by opening the books and the bank accounts.

Best of luck to you.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Filed: Country: China
Timeline
Oh well, that's my 2 jiao - give it a big thought... sure, it's not complete, for your posit, but, those are my thoughts, however malformed.

that ain't even worth 2 fen, buddy.

obamasolyndrafleeced-lmao.jpg

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

If you said the same to the USCIS rep, they'd think you are trying to trick them.

She left me a couple of months ago and filed for divorce.

Sadly, until you were an LPR for 5 years, you are not eligible for any help from the government. No food stamps, nothing. You may be able to get unemployment, depending on how your separation from work place have happened.

Can't your lawyer represent you for divorce hearing in the US? Even if not, you could come back from Germany for a couple of days, just for that. And to speed up the divorce, yes, do open the books to her lawyer. If you got nothing, you got nothing to lose. :thumbs:

PS. You can also withdraw your petition and let her re-file for divorce, if it suits you better.

Edited by rika60607

CR-1 Timeline

March'07 NOA1 date, case transferred to CSC

June'07 NOA2 per USCIS website!

Waiver I-751 timeline

July'09 Check cashed.

Jan'10 10 year GC received.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: India
Timeline

In your OP you said your wife left you and filed for divorce. Then you said you have to remain in the U.S. because YOU filed the divorce. Which one is it?

And as far as the AOS is concerned, that is a contract between the sponsor and the U.S. government. Not between the sponsor and you. If you use public aid the U.S. government can sue the sponsor for recoupment of the same. You can't use that for spousal support since that's not what it was about. Your wife/in-laws didn't promise to you that they'd take care of you, come hail or storm. They promised the U.S. government that the incoming immigrant would not become a burden on the state. See the difference?

Open your books to the other lawyer. Once they see you have nothing, the games will stop and the divorce should be quick. You can then leave for Germany and surrender your card. In the meantime get another job and/or borrow money for food.

03/27/2009: Engaged in Ithaca, New York.
08/17/2009: Wedding in Calcutta, India.
09/29/2009: I-130 NOA1
01/25/2010: I-130 NOA2
03/23/2010: Case completed.
05/12/2010: CR-1 interview at Mumbai, India.
05/20/2010: US Entry, Chicago.
03/01/2012: ROC NOA1.
03/26/2012: Biometrics completed.
12/07/2012: 10 year card production ordered.

09/25/2013: N-400 NOA1

10/16/2013: Biometrics completed

12/03/2013: Interview

12/20/2013: Oath ceremony

event.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.