KGH

Should the 90 days time limit to get married extended to 365 days?

167 members have voted

1. 1. Should the 90 days time limit to get married extended to 365 days?

• Yes
    • No
    • time limit should be more than 365 days

94 posts in this topic

I voted No because as so many said before me -- if you are not sure then you shouldn't be filing.

BWUs-1.jpg

Our Time Line:

01/31/2009 - Met Online

03/02/2009 - Reservations Made For My Flight To NH

06/11/2009 - Leave For Face To Face Meeting in NH

06/20/2009 - Last Kiss or Touch for 4 Months

07/21/2009 - Flights Booked For Eric To Come Down Under

10/17/2009 - Eric Arrives In Sydney

10/17/2009 - Eric Proposes -- YAY!

10/22/2009 - Engagement Photo Shoot In Sydney Harbour

11/01/2009 - Eric Flies Back To USA To Begin K1 Process.

12/03/2009 - I 129F FILED

12/07/2009 - NOA1

12/10/2009 - Touched

12/12/2009 - NOA1 Hard Copy Received

03/10/2010 - TOUCHED

03/10/2010 - APPROVED!!!!!

03/17/2010 - NVC Sends Petition to Sydney

03/22/2010 - Sydney Receives Petition

03/23/2010 - Packet 3 Received

03/23/2010 - Packet 3 Returned To Consulate

03/29/2010 - Packet 4 Received

04/06/2010 - Interview

04/06/2010 - APPROVED!!!!

04/08/2010 - Visa In Hand.

04/10/2010 - FLIGHT TO USA!!!

04/19/2010 - SSN received in mail.

06/05/2010 - MARRIED!!!

09/23/2010 - GC Approved!!!

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Serbia
Timeline
I voted No because as so many said before me -- if you are not sure then you shouldn't be filing.

:thumbs:

N-400: filled online on May 8th, 2021

Biometric Reuse Notice: May 8th, 2021
Interview: May 10th, 2022 - Interview De-Scheduled

Interview rescheduled on May 11th, 2022

New Interview: Jun 27th, 2022 - Approved 🥳

Oath Ceremony: July 14th, 2022

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline
I voted yes, but I think 6 months is more appropriate...primarily so that it gives a person the opportunity for a wedding of their liking. Yes its possible to plan a wedding in 90 days, yes its possible to hold off using the visa to get more time to plan but its not the most ideal situation.

ROC Timeline

8/1/12: ROC window opens
9/4/12: ROC packet sent
9/8/12: ROC packet delivered to VSC
9/12/12: Check cashed
9/14/12: NOA letter received (NOA dated 9/10/12)
9/20/12: Biometrics letter received (Bio appointment 10/15/12)
10/12/12: Early biometrics walk-in

4/27/13: RFE received

6/17/13: RFE response sent

7/1/13: ROC petition approved

7/5/13: GC received in the mail.

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

I think it should get changed, so both person can live with each other for at least a year, before getting married.

But SSN and Work permit should be issued for this period of time so the beneficiary can work and pay taxes.

i voted no , i do believe once you felt in love and get this warm feeling who God send to your heart then you decide to engaged that means you want to marry fast cause no doubt you wanna spend the rest of your life with your love.

Mounir and Suzie

UFHJ.jpg

pJWdp2.png

90 days is enuff...

Peace to All creatures great and small............................................

But when we turn to the Hebrew literature, we do not find such jokes about the donkey. Rather the animal is known for its strength and its loyalty to its master (Genesis 49:14; Numbers 22:30).

Peppi_drinking_beer.jpg

my burro, bosco ..enjoying a beer in almaty

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...st&id=10835

I voted yes, but I'm Libertarian and think that there should be a SO visa.

Being liberal has nothing to do with it. While I would like to agree that there SHOULD be a SO visa, think about the trouble it would cause; fraud would go up (as it's easy to claim a romantic relationship when one doesn't exist), and the legal aspect would be gone. We don't have any "break-up decree"... what happens if it doesn't work out and the foreigner wishes to stay in the US? Should they then be treated as the divorcees and have the advantage of staying? Then it invites homosexual relationships to come into question, moreso than it already is. It would get ridiculous.

I voted no, because the US can't go around handing out APs and EADs to anyone that wishes to come in and "test" their relationship. 90 days might be a rush to plan a wedding, but a YEAR? No way.

Edited by Gemmie

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline
I think that a year deadline would amount to a "girlfriend" visa, in a way.

Yep. We're fortunate to even have a fiancee Visa (K-1), which was probably a concession to those couples who were going to get married but wanted the opportunity to marry inside the U.S.. Also, keep in mind the K-1 is a non-immigrant Visa, much like a tourist Visa, which is why you are required to adjust status before you can legally work (with the exception of a temporary work permit).

I voted yes, but I'm Libertarian and think that there should be a SO visa.

Being liberal has nothing to do with it. While I would like to agree that there SHOULD be a SO visa, think about the trouble it would cause; fraud would go up (as it's easy to claim a romantic relationship when one doesn't exist), and the legal aspect would be gone. We don't have any "break-up decree"... what happens if it doesn't work out and the foreigner wishes to stay in the US? Should they then be treated as the divorcees and have the advantage of staying? Then it invites homosexual relationships to come into question, moreso than it already is. It would get ridiculous.

I voted no, because the US can't go around handing out APs and EADs to anyone that wishes to come in and "test" their relationship. 90 days might be a rush to plan a wedding, but a YEAR? No way.

libertarian ≠ liberal :unsure:

A lot of people confuse the terms because they sound similar, and I don't really have time to give you a primer on libertarianism. (How would you explain what "Republican" means to someone that confused "Republican" with, say, "republic" or "Democrat" with "democracy". You'd have a LOT of explaining to do, right? The wikipedia article on libertarianism is decent.) Suffice it to say that I support MUCH, MUCH more legal immigration than we currently allow, so letting former SOs stay would be ok with me. Also, I would support visas for gay SOs as well, so no issue there either. I suppose that sounds "liberal", so hit up the wikipedia article and hopefully you'll see the difference. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Libertarianism

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

I also said no. I think 90 days is a bit short for planning (think of the foreigners' family wanting to see the wedding, too?), but 365 is far too long. I think 6 months would be better. Then again, I couldn't have waited 6 months, because that's 6 months more of no EAD. (blech)

K-1 Timeline

05/14/08 Engaged on my last day while visiting Bremen

07/03 Mailed 129f package

07/24 NOA1

12/05 NOA2

12/27 Packet 3 received

01/19/09 Medical in Hamburg

03/24 Successful interview at Frankfurt

03/31 Visa received

07/09 POE Salt Lake City

AOS/EAD/AP Timeline

08/22/09 Mailed package

08/28 NOA1

10/28 Biometrics completed; EAD card production ordered

11/07 EAD arrived

12/14 Successful AOS interview in Seattle

12/28/09 Greencard arrived

Wouldn't a libertarian want no visas what so ever? IE open borders with no governmental involvement?

Other than criminal background checks, generally speaking, yes. But realistically, you take what you can get.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline
I think it should get changed, so both person can live with each other for at least a year, before getting married.

I do not think it should be changed for this reason alone. "Playing house" is not the same thing as having a bonafide relationship. Living together gives you an easy "get out of jail free card" and does not make it more likely for people in the relationship to work out their issues. Get married or don't. Make the commimentment or don't!

(I am not aiming that personally at you, just because I quoted you.)

However, I think a little more than 90 days would be nice for those who don't want to have a shot gun wedding! It makes me all jkinds of twitchy to try and think of a way to plan a wedding on such short notice!

"You don't marry someone you can live with, you marry the person you can't live without."

Mailed K-1 on 2-6-10

USCIS received packet on 2-8-10

NOA 1: Received 2-16-10

NOA 2: Approved 4-29-10 (72 Days)

NVC Forwarded Petition to London- 5-6-10

NVC Letter Received: 5-7-1010

London Received Packet: 5-14-10

London Mailed Packet to Rob: 5-18-10

Packet 3 Received by Rob: 5-22-2010

Packet 3 paperwork mailed to Rob 6-12-10

Medical- July 8, 2010

Everything mailed to Embassy 7-19-10

Interview Date: 9-14-10- Approved pending non-machine washed replacement passport.

Entry to US- 10-6-10 POE- Newark

Wedding- 10-23-10

AOS

Mailed AOS paperwork to the Chicago lockbox 1-7-11

Delivery Notification 1-10-11

Text stating application was received 1-20-11

Check Cashed 1-21-11

NOA 1 received 1-22-11

Biometrics letter received 1-29--11

Biometrics appointment 2-24-11

Received notice- I-485 has been transferred to the California Service Center 2-9-11.

3-11-11 - EAD production ordered

3-19-11- EAD Received

3-31-2011- AOS approved without interview

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

No. You are being allowed to immigrate based on family ties. Family being the key word :yes:

I voted no. If you are not ready to get married; then don't apply.

Saludos,

Caro

***Justin And Caro***
Happily married and enjoying our life together!