KGH

Should the 90 days time limit to get married extended to 365 days?

167 members have voted

1. 1. Should the 90 days time limit to get married extended to 365 days?

• Yes
    • No
    • time limit should be more than 365 days

94 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Iran
Timeline

I think it should get changed, so both person can live with each other for at least a year, before getting married.

But SSN and Work permit should be issued for this period of time so the beneficiary can work and pay taxes.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Iran
Timeline

This is not matter of me! is just a poll question.

don't you think 2 person should live with each other for at least 365 days before getting married.

if a guy proposed to you today, will you get married the next day?! or 90 days from that, I think first you move in together, see each others ups and downs before getting married.

I voted no. If you are not ready to get married; then don't apply.
Edited by KGH

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

WORD

Don't just open your mouth and prove yourself a fool....put it in writing.

It gets harder the more you know. Because the more you find out, the uglier everything seems.

kodasmall3.jpg

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: England
Timeline

Amen, sister.

You should take the time before applying for a K1 to get to know each other. Living together prior to marriage is no great indicator that the marraige will last anyway.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I guess I'm on the fence here. I voted yes. Because I felt rushed during my 90 days.

However, I think that a year deadline would amount to a "girlfriend" visa, in a way.

As stated in other threads, the K-1 visa is a courtesy to the USC wanting to get married.

A 365 day marriage deadline would be for those trying to decide if they should marry.

Maybe another type of visa is needed for situations such as "yours." But, I would imagine that it would be much harder to attain since the beneficiary would have to leave after a year if the couple did not marry. What a mess that would be.

I'd vote for 120 days, if that were an option.

I think it should get changed, so both person can live with each other for at least a year, before getting married.

But SSN and Work permit should be issued for this period of time so the beneficiary can work and pay taxes.

K-1

08/00/04 - Introduction, 08/02/05 - First visit, 06/29/06 - Second visit, 07/10/06 - Engaged

08/10/06 - I-129F mailed USPS

08/18/06 - NOA1 approved, 10/18/06 - NOA2 approved

10/30/06 - NVC MNL# 2006800XXX

11/03/06 - NVC letter received, 11/14/06 - USE received, 12/08/06 - Pre-interview Letter

03/08/07 - Interview - APPROVED

05/19/07 - POE Honolulu

06/28/07 - Wedding

AOS

08/17/07 - AOS, AP & EAD filed

10/09/07 - Biometrics, 10/25/07 - RFE received, 11/05/07 - AP APPROVED, 11/13/07 - AP received

11/08/07 - EAD card in production, 11/16/07 - EAD received

01/24/08 - Interview - APPROVED

ROC

11/06/09 - I-751 mailed to California Service Center

11/09/09 - NOA1 Date, 11/13/09 - check cleared, 12/16/09 - Biometrics

12/28/09 - Card production ordered - received 01/04/10

Citizenship

03/22/11 - N-400 filed

03/25/11 - Item delivered AZ via USPS Priority Mail, 10:15 am

04/20/11 - Biometrics

06/14/11 - Interview -Approved

07/05/11 - Oath Ceremony

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

You should get to know the person before you become engaged.

If you are not ready to get married, why are you engaged?

Amen, sister.

You should take the time before applying for a K1 to get to know each other. Living together prior to marriage is no great indicator that the marraige will last anyway.

I guess I'm on the fence here. I voted yes. Because I felt rushed during my 90 days.

However, I think that a year deadline would amount to a "girlfriend" visa, in a way.

As stated in other threads, the K-1 visa is a courtesy to the USC wanting to get married.

A 365 day marriage deadline would be for those trying to decide if they should marry.

Maybe another type of visa is needed for situations such as "yours." But, I would imagine that it would be much harder to attain since the beneficiary would have to leave after a year if the couple did not marry. What a mess that would be.

I'd vote for 120 days, if that were an option.

I vote 7 days.

I think 90 days is fine, although I think they should give VWP the option (for a small fee, maybe?) of extending it to 6 months.

I definately don't agree with giving anything that even resembles the benefits of LPR status, like EAD/ AP etc. Waaaaaaay too much potential for abuse.

Timeline Summary:

K-1/K-2 NOA1 - POE: 9 February - 9 July 2010

Married: 17 July 2010

AOS mailed - Interview : 22 November 2010 - 10 March 2011

ROC mailed - approved: 14 February - 18 June 2013

Citizenship mailed - ceremony: 9 February - 7 June 2017

VJ K-2 AOS Guide

Filed: Other Country: Afghanistan
Timeline

I voted yes, but I think 6 months is more appropriate...primarily so that it gives a person the opportunity for a wedding of their liking. Yes its possible to plan a wedding in 90 days, yes its possible to hold off using the visa to get more time to plan but its not the most ideal situation.

I voted no, you should already know your partner before filing!! What wedding needs over 90 days planning? :wacko:

I-751 Vermont
Mailed 4/03/2012
Check Cashed 4/10/2012
Noa1 4/12/2012 receipt date 4/6/2012
Biometrics 4/19/2012 letter recieved
Biometrics 5/01/2012 done
Tic Toc, Tic Toc, Tic Toc, Tic toc..................................................

5/10/2013 Info pass for another year stamp

Tic Toc, Tic Toc.....................................

Second biometrics letter received 7/6/2013

Tic toc tic toc..........................................................................................

4/10/14 info pass for another year

Tic Toc, Tic toc

3/30/2015 info pass for another year stamp

9/10/2015 Notice for I-751 interview 9/22/2015 Our gov is so efficient just gotta love em in charge of health care!!

Nope: you've already had over 90 days (time for petition from send-in to approval) to get acquainted and know if you're suited for each other--the 90 days permitted from landing-to-marriage is aplenty!

2005/07/10 I-129F filed for Pras

2005/11/07 I-129F approved, forwarded to NVC--to Chennai Consulate 2005/11/14

2005/12/02 Packet-3 received from Chennai

2005/12/21 Visa Interview Date

2006/04/04 Pras' entry into US at DTW

2006/04/15 Church Wedding at Novi (Detroit suburb), MI

2006/05/01 AOS Packet (I-485/I-131/I-765) filed at Chicago

2006/08/23 AP and EAD approved. Two down, 1.5 to go

2006/10/13 Pras' I-485 interview--APPROVED!

2006/10/27 Pras' conditional GC arrives -- .5 to go (2 yrs to Conditions Removal)

2008/07/21 I-751 (conditions removal) filed

2008/08/22 I-751 biometrics completed

2009/06/18 I-751 approved

2009/07/03 10-year GC received; last 0.5 done!

2009/07/23 Pras files N-400

2009/11/16 My 46TH birthday, Pras N-400 approved

2010/03/18 Pras' swear-in

---------------------------------------------------------------------

As long as the LORD's beside me, I don't care if this road ever ends.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Sweden
Timeline

I voted Yes though I think 365 days is a bit too much, maybe 120 or 180 days.

Dave and I were lucky as I could use the VWP and we could spend a lot of time together before getting married. There's a huge difference between talking on the phone/chatting and actually living with someone, especially when it involves moving to a foreign country with a different culture. However I realize not everyone is as fortunate as we were and there are people who cannot get a tourist visa to go visit in which case I think an extension of the K1 visa should be an option.

05-02-2004 Met in Östersund, Sweden
09-07-2007 Got married in Eden Gardens State Park, Santa Rosa Beach, FL

*************************************************************************************************

AOS

11-02-2007 - Filed

03-14-2008 - Green Card received

*************************************************************************************************

Lifting of Conditions

02-08-2010 - Filed

06-21-2010 - Green Card received

N-400

06-24-2017 - N-400 package sent via EFile

06-24-2017 - Payment received via credit card

07-01-2017 - Appointment notice received

07-19-2017 - Biometrics appointment in Atlanta, GA

08-04-2017 - Case updated. Interview scheduled. 

"Whither thou goest I will go, whither thou lodgest I will lodge,
Thy people shall be my people, And thy God my God." ~ Ruth 1:16

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Hong Kong
Timeline
don't you think 2 person should live with each other for at least 365 days before getting married.

No, I don't.

Amen, sister.

:thumbs::thumbs:

or, do like Canada and get rid of the fiancee category.

We wanted to be married once, in our home congregation here. The fiancee visa was the only way to do that. Wouldn't want to see that option eliminated.

I voted yes, but I think 6 months is more appropriate...primarily so that it gives a person the opportunity for a wedding of their liking. Yes its possible to plan a wedding in 90 days, yes its possible to hold off using the visa to get more time to plan but its not the most ideal situation.

Actually, you have 6 months to use the K-1, giving up to 9 months from the time the visa is approved to plan a wedding.

We were married 21 days after landing at LAX, and had no problem having a full church wedding.

Scott - So. California, Lai - Hong Kong

3dflagsdotcom_usa_2fagm.gif3dflagsdotcom_chchk_2fagm.gif

Our timeline:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showuser=1032

Our Photos

http://www.amazon.ofoto.com/I.jsp?c=7mj8fg...=0&y=x7fhak

http://www.amazon.ofoto.com/BrowsePhotos.j...z8zadq&Ux=1

Optimist: "The glass is half full."

Pessimist: "The glass is half empty."

Scott: "I didn't order this!!!"

"Where you go I will go, and where you stay I will stay. Your people will be my people and your God my God." - Ruth 1:16

"Losing faith in Humanity, one person at a time."

"Do not put your trust in princes, in mortal men, who cannot save." - Ps 146:3

cool.gif

IMG_6283c.jpg

Vicky >^..^< She came, she loved, and was loved. 1989-07/07/2007