westernboi

Fiancee is here in the US, but the table has turned

117 posts in this topic

Hello,

My fiancee just got here on a visa that expires in 90 days. It clearly states that she has to marry me within the 90 days or she has to go back home. We have a baby together, but she decided to leave us. She left with her uncle thinking she can become a permanent residence without me. Her uncle told me he'll hire a laywer to do the paper work for her to stay here as a permanent residence without me at all. I then asked him how is that possible sir? He said he can tell the laywer i abused h or threw her out of the house, therefore she has the right to report this and get permanent residency. I can't believed they would make up such a lie for her to stay. Is it true that she can stay in the US as a permanent without me? I thought she has to marry me within 90 days or she has to leave the US?? i am thinking to hired a lawyer but first i need your help

Edited by westernboi

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

In order for her or her father to claim abuse by you, there would need to be proof, such as police reports, witness statements, etc. So, if she doesn't have that, her case of abuse will not hold any merit.

She will not be able to stay in the U.S. if she does not marry the U.S. citizen for which she received the K-1 visa (at least not legally).

Sorry to hear that your relationship did not work out, especially since you two have a child together.

Good luck.

"THE SHORT STORY"

KURT & RAYMA (K-1 Visa)

Oct. 9/03... I-129F sent to NSC

June 10/04... K-1 Interview - APPROVED!!!!

July 31/04... Entered U.S.

Aug. 28/04... WEDDING DAY!!!!

Aug. 30/04... I-485, I-765 & I-131 sent to Seattle

Dec. 10/04... AOS Interview - APPROVED!!!!! (Passport stamped)

Sept. 9/06... I-751 sent to NSC

May 15/07... 10-Yr. PR Card arrives in the mail

Sept. 13/07... N-400 sent to NSC

Aug. 21/08... Interview - PASSED!!!!

Sept. 2/08... Oath Ceremony

Sept. 5/08... Sent in Voter Registration Card

Sept. 9/08... SSA office to change status to "U.S. citizen"

Oct. 8/08... Applied in person for U.S. Passport

Oct. 22/08... U.S. Passport received

DONE!!! DONE!!! DONE!!! DONE!!!

KAELY (K-2 Visa)

Apr. 6/05... DS-230, Part I faxed to Vancouver Consulate

May 26/05... K-2 Interview - APPROVED!!!!

Sept. 5/05... Entered U.S.

Sept. 7/05... I-485 & I-131 sent to CLB

Feb. 22/06... AOS Interview - APPROVED!!!!! (Passport NOT stamped)

Dec. 4/07... I-751 sent to NSC

May 23/08... 10-Yr. PR Card arrives in the mail

Mar. 22/11.... N-400 sent to AZ

June 27/11..... Interview - PASSED!!!

July 12/11..... Oath Ceremony

We're NOT lawyers.... just your average folks who had to find their own way!!!!! Anything we post here is simply our own opinions/suggestions/experiences and should not be taken as LAW!!!!

Hello,

My fiancee just got here on a visa that expires in 90 days. It clearly states that she has to marry me within the 90 days or she has to go back home. We have a baby together, but she decided to leave us. She left with her uncle thinking she can become a permanent residence without me. Her uncle told me he'll hire a laywer to do the paper work for her to stay here as a permanent residence without me at all. I then asked him how is that possible sir? He said he can tell the laywer i abused h or threw her out of the house, therefore she has the right to report this and get permanent residency. I can't believed they would make up such a lie for her to stay. Is it true that she can stay in the US as a permanent without me? I thought she has to marry me within 90 days or she has to leave the US?? i am thinking to hired a lawyer but first i need your help

Someone else will surely correct me if I'm mistaken, but I don't believe someone can adjust status from K-1 fiancee to LPR based on a claim under the Violence Against Women Act (VAWA). I believe the law only applies to spouses of US citizens. K-1 is a nonimmigrant status. Adjustment of status to LPR is predicated upon marriage to the US citizen petitioner within 90 days of entry. If she claims to be "abused," her relief under K-1 status is to return to her country without marrying you.

Improved USCIS Form G-325A (Biographic Information)

Form field input font changed to allow entry of dates in the specified format and to provide more space for addresses and employment history. This is the 6/12/09 version of the form; the current version is 8/8/11, but previous versions are accepted per the USCIS forms page.

If she doesn't marry you within the 90 days - she's is essentially on her own (if you so choose) to obtain her permanent residency status - someone (apparently other than you) would have to petition for her. (That's about it as far as her obtaining a PR-status.)

You could (if you so choose) notify USCIS, with a brief letter of explanation, that the beneficiary has left and is on her own.

Hello,

Someone else will surely correct me if I'm mistaken, but I don't believe someone can adjust status from K-1 fiancee to LPR based on a claim under the Violence Against Women Act (VAWA). I believe the law only applies to spouses of US citizens. K-1 is a nonimmigrant status. Adjustment of status to LPR is predicated upon marriage to the US citizen petitioner within 90 days of entry. If she claims to be "abused," her relief under K-1 status is to return to her country without marrying you.

i think you are correct, can someone else please verify this?

If she doesn't marry you within the 90 days - she's is essentially on her own (if you so choose) to obtain her permanent residency status - someone (apparently other than you) would have to petition for her. (That's about it as far as her obtaining a PR-status.)

You could (if you so choose) notify USCIS, with a brief letter of explanation, that the beneficiary has left and is on her own.

i don't think anyone else can petition for her besides me

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

Im sorry (F)

I just wanted to add that you should make sure you are NEVER alone with her if they are planning on claiming abuse. Even if their attempt to adjust based on VAWA fails, you dont need any false police reports and the drama of having to face that with your child.

Make sure you start documenting each time you speak with her when she referrences this "plan", that way its written down and you wont forget if asked months down the road.

be careful and mostly..im sorry you and your child are going through this.

"you fondle my trigger then you blame my gun"

Timeline: 13 month long journey from filing to visa in hand

If you were lucky and got an approval and reunion with your loved one rather quickly; Please refrain from telling people who waited 6+ months just to get out of a service center to "chill out" or to "stop whining" It's insensitive,and unecessary. Once you walk a mile in their shoes you will understand and be heard.

Thanks!

Im sorry (F)

I just wanted to add that you should make sure you are NEVER alone with her if they are planning on claiming abuse. Even if their attempt to adjust based on VAWA fails, you dont need any false police reports and the drama of having to face that with your child.

Make sure you start documenting each time you speak with her when she referrences this "plan", that way its written down and you wont forget if asked months down the road.

:thumbs: This is excellent advice.

Also—and I hope it goes without saying—don't even THINK about marrying her at this point! She (or her uncle, anyway) has already expressed intent to commit immigration fraud. Marrying her would give her a basis to adjust under VAWA. Don't fall for tearful apologies and pleas to take her back. These will probably come shortly after they figure out that she has to marry before she can adjust based on a (fraudulent) abuse claim.

Improved USCIS Form G-325A (Biographic Information)

Form field input font changed to allow entry of dates in the specified format and to provide more space for addresses and employment history. This is the 6/12/09 version of the form; the current version is 8/8/11, but previous versions are accepted per the USCIS forms page.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
Hello,

There is a provision for abused women to stay BUT they have to do more than say "he abused me". All I can say is "good luck with that"

At any rate, it is not your responsibility to remove her from the country,a nd there is littel you can do to make sure she is removed, and I would say it is pretty clear she doesn't want to marry you. I would report this to USCIS and leave it at that. She is now the responsibility of ICE. I would make sure you document that this happened and you reported it to the proper people just so there is no future accusations that you were human trafficking or something, but you have no responsibility to enforce immigration laws.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
Im sorry (F)

Yes, given what she has indicated, I would avoid ANY contact with this person at all. NONE. Report it to the authorities and NOTHING else. People like this are a threat to your future, do not give them ANY information about you and give them no ammunition to use against you. Remember...

Anything you say can and will be twisted, distorted, taken out of context and then used against you in a court of law. Say nothing, do nothing.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

I don't have any advice, but I would like to say I am sorry for what you and the child are going through. This is why immigrating to the U.S. is getting harder and harder. Shame on her!!!! Good luck to you! :thumbs:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I am so sorry this has happened to you! Please follow the good advice already given here: protect yourself from any false claims of violence, document what has already happened, and do send a report to USCIS advising them of what has happened and be sure to include her Uncle's role in this situation - he also appears to be guilty of perpetrating immigration fraud along with your fiancee. Good luck to you.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
Im sorry (F)

:thumbs: This is excellent advice.

Also—and I hope it goes without saying—don't even THINK about marrying her at this point! She (or her uncle, anyway) has already expressed intent to commit immigration fraud. Marrying her would give her a basis to adjust under VAWA. Don't fall for tearful apologies and pleas to take her back. These will probably come shortly after they figure out that she has to marry before she can adjust based on a (fraudulent) abuse claim.

I would add to this start thinking about gaining custody of your child, for the way she acts, your baby is not safe with her.

God Bless and sorry to hear you are going through such rough path.

Kata.

Citizenship Event Date Service Center : Phoenix AZ Lockbox CIS Office : Santa Ana CA Date Filed : 2013-05-15 NOA Date : 2013-05-20 Bio. Appt. : 2013-06-13 Interview Date : 2013-09-03 Approved : Yes Oath Ceremony : 2013-09-27 Comments :

3rs1cazbtpo05.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline
Im sorry (F)

What would be better than even that is invest in a small digital recorder and record everything she says. Then she has not hope in H E Double hockey sticks.

Edited by MouadsWife

“You cannot enter heaven until you believe, and you will not truly believe until you (truly) love one another.” [Muslim, Al-Iman (Faith); 93]

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.