Puffy Khan Sabi

ARE MOROCCAN MARRIAGES RECOGNIZED & LEGAL IN U.S.A. ???

21 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Morocco
Timeline
:wacko: Going a little crazy here ... Before I married Jamal, I can't even remember where, but I DID read that Moroccan marriages ARE recognized and legal in U.S.A. ... BUT I have a few friends that say otherwise ... Please can you tell me ALL you know on this topic. Thanks ... Carole

Carole (Puffy) Khan Sabi - " Don't let what people say bother you because the people that matter don't mind and the people that mind don't matter ." :)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

The USA recognizes foreign marriages if you followed the proper steps to make it a legal marriage in that particular country. For example, if you followed the steps necessary in Morocco (you can find these steps on www.trave.state.gov) then you are fine and your marriage is legal also in the USA.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jordan
Timeline
:wacko: Going a little crazy here ... Before I married Jamal, I can't even remember where, but I DID read that Moroccan marriages ARE recognized and legal in U.S.A. ... BUT I have a few friends that say otherwise ... Please can you tell me ALL you know on this topic. Thanks ... Carole

According to the DOS website. Validity of Marriages Abroad

In general, marriages which are legally performed and valid abroad are also legally valid in the United States. Inquiries regarding the validity of a marriage abroad should be directed to the attorney general of the state in the United States where the parties to the marriage live.

I can't imagine that immigration would approve a case if the marriage wasn't considered valid in the U.S. Try not to let your Friends stress you out.

Waiting.....Waiting....waiting....waiting....and more waiting..........

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

According to the DOS website. Validity of Marriages Abroad

In general, marriages which are legally performed and valid abroad are also legally valid in the United States. Inquiries regarding the validity of a marriage abroad should be directed to the attorney general of the state in the United States where the parties to the marriage live.

I can't imagine that immigration would approve a case if the marriage wasn't considered valid in the U.S. Try not to let your Friends stress you out.

The phrase "In general" is a caveat. There are some cases where a marriage was legal in the country where it was performed, but it would not be considered legal for US immigration purposes. For example, a same sex marriage performed in another country is still not valid for immigration purposes, even though some US states now allow same sex marriage. In addition, many Islamic countries permit a man to have as many as four wives, in accordance with Islamic law, but the US will only recognize the first marriage as legal.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline
The USA recognizes foreign marriages if you followed the proper steps to make it a legal marriage in that particular country. For example, if you followed the steps necessary in Morocco (you can find these steps on www.trave.state.gov) then you are fine and your marriage is legal also in the USA.

:thumbs: we had to take the extra steps to get our marriage certificate, whereas, if i lived in India, our temple wedding would have been sufficient. but the usa embassy would not recognize it only.

Give Generously, Live Fully, Laugh Often, Love Completely...AND PRAY ALWAYS!!!

He is home!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

moved from General Immigration Related Discussion to mena where there is more experience with this sort of topic.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline

Marriage in Morocco is valid in the US as long as you have it documented in Morocco. Religious ceremonies only are not valid.

Met: 2004-07-18

Islamic marriage: 2006-07-31

Marriage : 2008-12-27

Entry San Fran 2009-09-27

Hubby is HOME!!!!

Received SSN 2009-10-06

Received welcome letter 2009-10-10

GREEN CARD!!! 2009-10-13

Driver's License 2009-10-26

HUBBY FOUND A JOB!!! after about 4 months of being here :)

Carole

Welcome and as long as you have a notarized authentic certificate from Morocco then that is all you need.

I called the court house here to see if I needed to do anything additional here and they said no.

If you have a marriage certificate from there you are good and you do not get a license from here.

People just like to say that it isn't recognized but it is!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Pakistan
Timeline

By the multiple post of bad realtions it seems like they are not recognized even by muslim husband and wife

Marital Rights Under Nikah

2421 *For a woman with whom permanent marriage is contracted, it is haraam to go out of the house without the permission of her husband, though her leaving may not violate the rights of the husband. Also, she should submit herself to his sexual desires, and should not prevent him from having sexual intercourse with her, without justifiable excuse. And as long as she does not fail in her duties, it is obligatory on the husband to provide for her food, clothes and housing. And if he does not provide the same regardless of whether he is able to provide them or not, he remains indebted to the wife.

2422 *If the wife does not fulfil her matrimonial duties towards her husband, she will not be entitled for the food, clothes or housing, even if she continues to live with him. But if she refuses to obey occasionally, the common verdict is that even then she cannot claim any entitlement from her husband. But this verdict is a matter of Ishkal. In any case, there is no doubt that she does not forfeit her Mahr [dowry].

2423 *Man has no right to compel his wife to render household services.

2424 *The traveling expenses incurred by the wife must be borne by the husband, if they exceed her expenses at home, and if she had traveled with the husband's permission. But the fares for travel be car or by air etc. and other expenses, which are necessary for a journey, will be borne by the wife except when the husband is himself inclined to take her along with him on a journey, in which case he will bear her expenses also.

2425 *If the husband who is responsible for the wife's maintenance, does not provide her the same, she can draw her expenses from his property without his permission. and if this is not possible, and she is obliged to earn her livelihood, and she cannot take her case to the Mujtahid, who would compel him (even by threatening him with imprisonment) to pay the maintenance, it will not be obligatory upon her to obey her husband while she is engaged in earning her livelihood.

2426 *If a man, for example, has two wives and spends one night with one of them, it is obligatory on him to spend anyone of four nights with the other as well; in situation other than this, it is not obligatory on a man to stay with his wife. Of course, it is necessary that he should not totally forsake living with the wife. And as a precaution, a man should spend one night out of every four with his permanent wife. Of course, it is necessary that he should not totally forsake living with the wife. And as a precaution, a man should spend one night out of every four with his permanent wife.

2427 *It is not permissible for the husband to abandon sexual intercourse with his youthful, permanent wife for more than 4 months, except when sexual intercourse is harmful to him, or involves unusually more effort, or when the wife herself agrees to avoid it, or if a prior stipulation to that effect was made at the time of Nikah by the husband. And in this rule, there is no difference between the situations when the husband is present, or on a journey, or whether she is a wife by permanent or temporary marriage.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~

The above was excerpted from "Islamic Laws," English Version of Taudhihul Masae'l,

According to the Fatawa of Ayatullah al Usama Syed Ali al-Husaini Seestani.

Loving a Muslim Home Page Table of Contents

august 2004 I-129 filed (neb)

DEC 2004 Approved

interview: SEOUL

MArch 21st , 2005AR for special security clearance,washington

May 18th tranfer case from Seoul to Islammabad

June 21st security clearance done

June 28th online at the embassy in Islamabad

waiting for paper transfer and the good word

OCTOBER 14TH 2005 Interview Number 2: ISLAMABAD, PK

AR number 2 sent to DOS per Islamabad (2 cable request)

Nov 22 okd updated financial and etc proof accepted / embassy waiting for security cables

dec 20th one cable back waiting on 2nd

Jan 17th.. good word recieved. SECURITY CHECKS ALL CLEAR!!! DOS says embassy to contact him within two weeks!!!!!!

FEBRUARY 10th, 2006 VISA RECIEVED!!! They called him In via phone, stamped his passort and sent him on his way!!!

FEB 28th WELCOME HOME>>>POE CHICAGO did not even look at xray, few questions. one hour wait at Poe

march 10th marriage (nikkah at the islamic center)

aug 2006 AOS interview, cond 2 yr GC arrived september

June 2008 applied for removal of conditions on permant residency aka awaiting for 10 yr greencard

Dec 2008 10yr green card approved, no interview.

• 4 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

So what about marriages in the US? Does Morocco recognize US marriages?

I ask because we started the K1. Now she will come from Morocco and we will have a civil ceremony in the courthouse,

but she has told me that this is not recognized by Morocco. Is this true?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

i was married in morocco and had to take our certificate to my court house here to get it recorded as record, before i could chg name on social security card. For the girl to marry doesnt she need to marry a Muslim

TIMELINE

04/04/2007 K1 Interview from H...w/the devil herself

06/12/2007 Rec'd Notification Case Now Back In Calif. only to expire

-------------

11/20/2007 Married in Morocco

02/23/2008 Mailed CR1 application today

03/08/2008 NOA1 Notice Recd (notice date 3/4/08)

08/26/2008 File transfered fr Vermont to Calif

10/14/2008 APPROVALLLLLLLLLLLL

10/20/2008 Recd hard copy NOA2

10/20/2008 NVC Recd case

11/21/2008 CASE COMPLETE

01/15/2009 INTERVIEW

01/16/2009 VISA IN HAND

01/31/2009 ARRIVED OKC

BE WHO YOU ARE AND SAY WHAT YOU FEEL, BECAUSE THOSE WHO MIND DONT MATTER AND THOSE WHO MATTER DONT MIND

YOU CANT CHANGE THE PAST BUT YOU CAN RUIN THE PRESENT BY WORRYING OVER THE FUTURE

TRIP.... OVER LOVE, AND YOU CAN GET UP

FALL.... IN LOVE, AND YOU FALL FOREVER

I DO HAVE THE RIGHT TO REMAIN SILENT, JUST NOT THE ABILITY

LIKE THE MEASLES, LOVE IS MOST DANGEROUS WHEN IT COMES LATER IN LIFE

LIFE IS NOT THE WAY ITS SUPPOSED TO BE, ITS THE WAY IT IS

I MAY NOT BE WHERE I WANT TO BE BUT IM SURE NOT WHERE I WAS

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline

I ask because we started the K1. Now she will come from Morocco and we will have a civil ceremony in the courthouse,

That is going to be a little tougher as there are more conditions for marriage. You can check out the conditions on the embassy website but the main one that might cause difficulties is that you are Muslim (don't know if you already are)

I don't think it is valid like they do here in the US. I think you will have to document it in Morocco and I'm sure the conditions are the same as if you were married there.

Edited by Kenza

Met: 2004-07-18

Islamic marriage: 2006-07-31

Marriage : 2008-12-27

Entry San Fran 2009-09-27

Hubby is HOME!!!!

Received SSN 2009-10-06

Received welcome letter 2009-10-10

GREEN CARD!!! 2009-10-13

Driver's License 2009-10-26

HUBBY FOUND A JOB!!! after about 4 months of being here :)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline
i was married in morocco and had to take our certificate to my court house here to get it recorded as record, before i could chg name on social security card. For the girl to marry doesnt she need to marry a Muslim

I see, and yes she does.

That is going to be a little tougher as there are more conditions for marriage. You can check out the conditions on the embassy website but the main one that might cause difficulties is that you are Muslim (don't know if you already are)

I don't think it is valid like they do here in the US. I think you will have to document it in Morocco and I'm sure the conditions are the same as if you were married there.

That is what we suspected. Because of our lack of understanding on the k1 and K3 we decided to go with the K1.

We will do a civil ceremony in the US and most likely go back to Morocco then and have a religious ceremony to be recognized in Morocco. And yes, I am.

Filed: Other Country: Israel
Timeline

I see, and yes she does.

That is what we suspected. Because of our lack of understanding on the k1 and K3 we decided to go with the K1.

We will do a civil ceremony in the US and most likely go back to Morocco then and have a religious ceremony to be recognized in Morocco. And yes, I am.

You can have an Islamic/legal wedding here, no? A religious ceremony in Morocco doesn't result in a legal marriage unless an adoul registers it with the government. If you want to just marry civilly here, but also be legal in Morocco, then you need to find out if a civil marriage in the US equal a legal marriage in Morocco. There should be someone here who has already tested that route and can advise you.

Filed: Other Country: Israel
Timeline

Oh, PS. I see that she is planning to come to the US to marry you, but you have already started the K1. Be very careful. If she comes on a tourist visa, and marries you while here, and you still have a K1 outstanding, that could very well cause problems for you in the immigration process later.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.