Puffy Khan Sabi

ARE MOROCCAN MARRIAGES RECOGNIZED & LEGAL IN U.S.A. ???

21 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline
Oh, PS. I see that she is planning to come to the US to marry you, but you have already started the K1. Be very careful. If she comes on a tourist visa, and marries you while here, and you still have a K1 outstanding, that could very well cause problems for you in the immigration process later.

Yeah we know. We both decided that she would not attempt coming on a tourist visa. We want to do everything by the book, and we are going to wait for the K1 to complete before she attempts to come.

Also that is why I was posting here, to see if anyone has had a marriage performed by an adoul in the US and it carried over to be legally recognized in Morocco. None yet however.

Edited by jomegared

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

This topic might be of use to you: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=15207

People have successfully registered their marriages in Morocco, but a civil ceremony without two muslim witnesses will not suffice. Also, I have heard they have become more "strict" about the requirements in order to register the marriage through the consulate, the marriage must be witnessed by two muslims registered at the consulate.

Timeline
Oh, PS. I see that she is planning to come to the US to marry you, but you have already started the K1. Be very careful. If she comes on a tourist visa, and marries you while here, and you still have a K1 outstanding, that could very well cause problems for you in the immigration process later.

Yeah we know. We both decided that she would not attempt coming on a tourist visa. We want to do everything by the book, and we are going to wait for the K1 to complete before she attempts to come.

Also that is why I was posting here, to see if anyone has had a marriage performed by an adoul in the US and it carried over to be legally recognized in Morocco. None yet however.

Yes, we have been dealing with this for months. :( The rules have recently changed and are still unclear to me. If you have a civil marriage here in the US, in order for it to be recognized in Morocco, you must also be married either in a mosque or with two Muslim witnesses. You send your civil US marriage certificate, along with whatever you get from the mosque to the consulate to be notarized. i can't remember, but either you or the consulate then forwards (or you can bring them if you are traveling) these documents to Morocco for the marriage to be recognized over there as well. The consulate no longer recognizes marriages. The documents have to be sent to Morocco to be processed. i'm a little sketchy as to how it all works, but this is the information i was last given when i asked the consulate in the spring. If anyone has any new info, please share....

If i had to do it all over again, i probably would have gotten my marriage license from the state of NY, then gotten married in a mosque here, and then had the officiate send the marriage license to city hall to get the US marriage certificate, and then send all of the above to the consulate for notarization.

Because we didn't do this, we are going to try and do what you suggested and carry all our documents over to Morocco when we travel and try our luck there... but i have no idea if it will work...

Good luck!

love0038.gif

For Immigration Timeline, click here.

big wheel keep on turnin * proud mary keep on burnin * and we're rollin * rollin

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline
This topic might be of use to you: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=15207

People have successfully registered their marriages in Morocco, but a civil ceremony without two muslim witnesses will not suffice. Also, I have heard they have become more "strict" about the requirements in order to register the marriage through the consulate, the marriage must be witnessed by two muslims registered at the consulate.

That post was INCREDIBLY informative, thank you for posting it!

Yes, we have been dealing with this for months. :( The rules have recently changed and are still unclear to me. If you have a civil marriage here in the US, in order for it to be recognized in Morocco, you must also be married either in a mosque or with two Muslim witnesses. You send your civil US marriage certificate, along with whatever you get from the mosque to the consulate to be notarized. i can't remember, but either you or the consulate then forwards (or you can bring them if you are traveling) these documents to Morocco for the marriage to be recognized over there as well. The consulate no longer recognizes marriages. The documents have to be sent to Morocco to be processed. i'm a little sketchy as to how it all works, but this is the information i was last given when i asked the consulate in the spring. If anyone has any new info, please share....

If i had to do it all over again, i probably would have gotten my marriage license from the state of NY, then gotten married in a mosque here, and then had the officiate send the marriage license to city hall to get the US marriage certificate, and then send all of the above to the consulate for notarization.

Because we didn't do this, we are going to try and do what you suggested and carry all our documents over to Morocco when we travel and try our luck there... but i have no idea if it will work...

Good luck!

Yeah, I think we are just going to do a civil here when she gets here to satisfy the visa requirements and then go to Morocco next summer to satisfy the Moroccan requirements.

Ugh....so complicated, lol. Thanks!

Filed: Other Country: Israel
Timeline

That post was INCREDIBLY informative, thank you for posting it!

Good luck!

Yeah, I think we are just going to do a civil here when she gets here to satisfy the visa requirements and then go to Morocco next summer to satisfy the Moroccan requirements.

Are you Muslim? If not, they will not marry you there to a Muslim woman. If you converted, then you must take documentation of your conversion with you. If you were born and raised Muslim, but also born American, they won't believe you are Muslim unless you have documentation from your masjid.

Timeline

Yeah, it can be quite a runaround...

If you find out any new info from the consulate or elsewhere, please let us know!! :star:

In the meantime, enjoy & good luck! :thumbs:

love0038.gif

For Immigration Timeline, click here.

big wheel keep on turnin * proud mary keep on burnin * and we're rollin * rollin

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.