johnj

Relationship Failed: Would you have told her?

68 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

I do not want to go into all the gory details but here is a summary.

Natalya and I have filed a K1 visa. My father has a sorted past; I was advised not to tell Natalya about his past back in May. I told her yesterday and it appears our relationship has ended.

Ok, here is the summary: My father was arrested about 13 years ago for sexual abuse of my daughters. Between getting out of jail and trial, he committed suicide. As a forensic scientist, I was permitted to see the evidence; there was no doubt of guilt (photos, videos, etc).

I believe in honesty, complete honesty. I was told by her friends not to share this because it would not be accepted in the Russian community (my evil father, I, the son, must be evil). I thought carefully about it and decided in order to respect myself I needed to share this news with her. Anyway she would learn of it when she came to America as my daughters were 9 and 11 at the time of the sexual abuse (they have had extensive counseling).

Here is my questions; should I have shared this with my future wife?

Request we keep this post in Russian Forum but others are welcome to comment

Edited by john and natalya

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline
I don't think she needs to know this. But this is up to person.

You only can feel what's can a happen if you tell her thru

I was advised not to tell Natalya about his past back in May. I told her yesterday and it appears our relationship has ended.

Sounds like he already told her.

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : Bangkok, Thailand

Marriage : 2006-11-08

I-130 Sent : 2008-02-22

I-130 NOA1 : 2008-03-10

I-129F Sent : 2008-04-08

I-129F NOA1 : 2008-04-14

I-129F touched: 2008-05-06

I-130 touched: 2008-05-09

I-129F approved 2008-09-05

I-130 approved 2008-09-05

NVC received 2008-09-12

Pay I-864 2008-10-08

Pay IV bill 2008-10-08

Receive Instruction 2008-11-05

Case Complete 2008-11-18

Medical 2009-01-19/20 passed

Receive Pkt 4 2009-01-30

Interview 221g 2009-02-23

Second interview 2009-03-02 Approved

POE DFW 2009-03-07

Received SS card 2009-03-17

Received GC 2009-04-01

Done for 3 years or 10 years. Haven't decided yet.

(I'm going for the IR-1 and blowing off the K-3. Even if it takes an extra couple months, it's worth it to not have to deal with USCIS again)

"Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, the wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

Note:

Please fill out I-130, wait 6 months for approval, then 3 more months for an interview. (Unless of course we've bombed your country into the stone age, then you qualify for expedited processing.)

Welcome to the USA!!!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

if it was inevitable that she would have learned of this... if the reaction would have been similar regardles of when she learned of this, is it not better that she found out now (for you, her and your kids) before significant emotional attachment had been made by all parties involved?

Edited by payxibka

YMMV

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

You did the right thing because I believe it is good to be honest with your fiance. What your father did is unacceptable but she should not treat you like you are the criminal. I think its better if it ended now rather than later when you are married. Pass our regards to your daughters.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I think you did the right thing by telling her, especially since, if she found out later, she would probably be even more angry that you didn't tell her.

The outcome probably would have been the same, only like other posters have said, then there would be a lot more to lose after she was already in the U.S.

My heart goes out to you.... you are paying the price for the "sins of your father".... it's not really fair.

"THE SHORT STORY"

KURT & RAYMA (K-1 Visa)

Oct. 9/03... I-129F sent to NSC

June 10/04... K-1 Interview - APPROVED!!!!

July 31/04... Entered U.S.

Aug. 28/04... WEDDING DAY!!!!

Aug. 30/04... I-485, I-765 & I-131 sent to Seattle

Dec. 10/04... AOS Interview - APPROVED!!!!! (Passport stamped)

Sept. 9/06... I-751 sent to NSC

May 15/07... 10-Yr. PR Card arrives in the mail

Sept. 13/07... N-400 sent to NSC

Aug. 21/08... Interview - PASSED!!!!

Sept. 2/08... Oath Ceremony

Sept. 5/08... Sent in Voter Registration Card

Sept. 9/08... SSA office to change status to "U.S. citizen"

Oct. 8/08... Applied in person for U.S. Passport

Oct. 22/08... U.S. Passport received

DONE!!! DONE!!! DONE!!! DONE!!!

KAELY (K-2 Visa)

Apr. 6/05... DS-230, Part I faxed to Vancouver Consulate

May 26/05... K-2 Interview - APPROVED!!!!

Sept. 5/05... Entered U.S.

Sept. 7/05... I-485 & I-131 sent to CLB

Feb. 22/06... AOS Interview - APPROVED!!!!! (Passport NOT stamped)

Dec. 4/07... I-751 sent to NSC

May 23/08... 10-Yr. PR Card arrives in the mail

Mar. 22/11.... N-400 sent to AZ

June 27/11..... Interview - PASSED!!!

July 12/11..... Oath Ceremony

We're NOT lawyers.... just your average folks who had to find their own way!!!!! Anything we post here is simply our own opinions/suggestions/experiences and should not be taken as LAW!!!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
I am sorry to hear about all this, my heart goes out to your daughters. I cannot blame Natalya: this was too important an issue to not mention it. To wait until she was here to open up about it seems extremely selfish on your part.

She is not here yet, they just applied for the K-1 visa.

"THE SHORT STORY"

KURT & RAYMA (K-1 Visa)

Oct. 9/03... I-129F sent to NSC

June 10/04... K-1 Interview - APPROVED!!!!

July 31/04... Entered U.S.

Aug. 28/04... WEDDING DAY!!!!

Aug. 30/04... I-485, I-765 & I-131 sent to Seattle

Dec. 10/04... AOS Interview - APPROVED!!!!! (Passport stamped)

Sept. 9/06... I-751 sent to NSC

May 15/07... 10-Yr. PR Card arrives in the mail

Sept. 13/07... N-400 sent to NSC

Aug. 21/08... Interview - PASSED!!!!

Sept. 2/08... Oath Ceremony

Sept. 5/08... Sent in Voter Registration Card

Sept. 9/08... SSA office to change status to "U.S. citizen"

Oct. 8/08... Applied in person for U.S. Passport

Oct. 22/08... U.S. Passport received

DONE!!! DONE!!! DONE!!! DONE!!!

KAELY (K-2 Visa)

Apr. 6/05... DS-230, Part I faxed to Vancouver Consulate

May 26/05... K-2 Interview - APPROVED!!!!

Sept. 5/05... Entered U.S.

Sept. 7/05... I-485 & I-131 sent to CLB

Feb. 22/06... AOS Interview - APPROVED!!!!! (Passport NOT stamped)

Dec. 4/07... I-751 sent to NSC

May 23/08... 10-Yr. PR Card arrives in the mail

Mar. 22/11.... N-400 sent to AZ

June 27/11..... Interview - PASSED!!!

July 12/11..... Oath Ceremony

We're NOT lawyers.... just your average folks who had to find their own way!!!!! Anything we post here is simply our own opinions/suggestions/experiences and should not be taken as LAW!!!!

Filed: Timeline
I am sorry to hear about all this, my heart goes out to your daughters. I cannot blame Natalya: this was too important an issue to not mention it. To wait until she was here to open up about it seems extremely selfish on your part.

She is not here yet, they just applied for the K-1 visa.

I know that sister raymaga. But how can you ask someone to marry you without full disclosure of something so tremendously important? It is simply not very fair, me thinks. And no, I am not saying john is a bad person -- he made -in my opinion- a big mistake; and I am not surprised at all of Natalya's reaction.

you did the right thing. you're relationship would have been inhibited with this weight on your shoulders and it's better she found out now from you than later from overhearing convo at the next family barbecue. i'm sorry things ended because of it. maybe she will get over it. best wishes :star:

Yes. Don't waste your time wondering if not telling her would have been better - you know that it would not - you needed to disclose which is why you did. If the relationship is over, then you will have to move forward. Perhaps the lesson to learn is to open up in the future when a relationship turns from casual to serious not leave it until there is a pressing need to disclose. Good luck with whatever happens next.

Refusing to use the spellchick!

I have put you on ignore. No really, I have, but you are still ruining my enjoyment of this site. .

It is said to think that this woman cannot look past what your father did a long time ago and realize it was not you. I understand that the thought will go through peoples heads "What if he is like that". You cant get around her apprehension. Perhaps in a little while she will come to her senses, give it some time perhaps she will come back. As my wife likes to say"If it is meant it to be then it will happen"

Im sorry that things happened between you and natalya, Im even more sorry that something happened to two little girls. I hope that they can overcome this and grow up and be involved with nice wonderful men and have a happy life.

My best to you and yours and I will say a prayer for you.

Thom n Elena

Arrived Grand Rapids 12/13/06

Finally Home

Married 12/28/06 Husband and Wife finally

AOS

Card Received 7/23/07

Aleksandr arrives 8/29/07 7 lbs 19in

ROC

Filed April 21, Received NOA May 5,2009

Biometrics 7/7/2009

Biometrics Cancelled 6/29/09

Reschedule 7/22/09

Biometrics complete only 2 people in office wifey done in 15 min

Letter received New LPR Card in 60 days WOOHOO!!!!

LPR Card Received

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

My view (which could be very different than others), is that you seemed to feel guilt at not telling, so did. I do not find fault at you telling her. Each person as an individual can accept or not accept a family's dark past. but living trying to hide such from your wife would eat you alive more and more as the years pass, yet make it even harder to tell...

The thing that strikes me, is that you told her friends first, as you stated they (her friends) were the ones to advise you not to tell her. To her that may seem like a betrayal. You telling deep things to others (other women?) and not to her. This may be a factor that may be as large or larger than the actual telling. It might not make sense to anyone 'logically', but love is not always logical.

The separation in distance, the k-1 process itself and not to mention marriage being one of the 5 most stressful things in life, puts a lot of pressure and emotions on both of you. Adding this, a 'meltdown' from this shock would be normal.

It is a big shock. I would advise to wait a few days. Don't try to just call on the phone or force some confrontation now. Send her sms or email (short email, nothing long) telling her you understand she needs time to think and are ready to talk when she is. If it can be worked out, you can build back up to where you were. If not, you found out before it became worse later.

I would advise not to rush into a conclusion and cancel the petition. If things work out, you won't want to start all over again.

I am truly sorry for your situation. It cannot be easy on either of you.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

Im sorry for you and your little girls. It sounds like she ended it because of the act itself, not that you waited to tell her, am I right?

You totally did the right thing in not hiding this from her. Im sorry that it cost your relationship and alot of pain and hurt, but its better to find out now(before your daughters bonded to her after she got here) what her reaction would be.

"you fondle my trigger then you blame my gun"

Timeline: 13 month long journey from filing to visa in hand

If you were lucky and got an approval and reunion with your loved one rather quickly; Please refrain from telling people who waited 6+ months just to get out of a service center to "chill out" or to "stop whining" It's insensitive,and unecessary. Once you walk a mile in their shoes you will understand and be heard.

Thanks!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.