cohibakid

My wife just got her Permanent Residence Card and now is filing for divorce.

84 posts in this topic

My wife received her Permanent Residence Card and now is filing for divorce. I thought her intentions were true and that she was really in love with me, but she told me it was just a business relationship for her to get into the US. I feel like I got scammed, is there anything I can do to stop this scammer?

That really sucks. Not much you can do now, as others have pointed out, other than if you can get evidence (letter/email/recordings) detailing this "buisness" relationship.

Then it would be up to the ICE to do something.

This happens more than you know, and it's not just "russians" doing it, all countries have their share of scammers.

This is a risk when you sponsor someone - they can turn around and scam you...

Hopefully she doesn't try to take you in the divorce or attempt to claim 864 funding.

Edited by Bobby_Umit

My Advice is usually based on "Worst Case Scenario" and what is written in the rules/laws/instructions. That is the way I roll... -Protect your Status - file before your I-94 expires.

WARNING: Phrases in this post may sound meaner than they were intended to be. Read the Adjudicator's Field Manual from USCIS

yes u can just tape or video tape her conversation when she says that she marry u for green card no loving relation, then take it to the immigration and report her and i bet u she will be deported as soon as possible,

other than that there is nothing u can,. it is ur words against her words.

and she will deny it , get the proof first then u can do something

good luck

sorry that it happen to u

abby n sheryl

:rolleyes: no she won't - it doesn't work like that. She will likely be denied removal of conditions when she tries to file for it. In the meanwhile there is nothing the OP can do.

Hopefully he has a Pre-nup in place with a clause that cancels the affidavit of support in the event of divorce.

Never say never or nothing. We can always do something. :whistle:

Sign-on-a-church-af.jpgLogic-af.jpgwwiao.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline
My wife received her Permanent Residence Card and now is filing for divorce. I thought her intentions were true and that she was really in love with me, but she told me it was just a business relationship for her to get into the US. I feel like I got scammed, is there anything I can do to stop this scammer?

Looks like she was not meant for you and although its difficult you have to move on.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Bulgaria
Timeline

I'm sorry to what happened to you. Not surprised though, considering she's Russian. I know a lot of Russians/Ukraine/Moldovan who live in Boston area and are married to USC for GC or are seeking to marry one for that purpose. I find it disgusting! Sorry again for you. Did you try to contact INS and explain? Good luck :thumbs:

Sucks for dude! I hate to hear ####### like that! What if she were a gypsy or Turkish girl? :D

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline
:rolleyes: no she won't - it doesn't work like that. She will likely be denied removal of conditions when she tries to file for it. In the meanwhile there is nothing the OP can do.

Please, read carefully the OP: wife received PERMANENT resident card. There will be NO removal of conditions anymore. She's now on her own and does not need the OP anymore. She knew what she was doing.

How can somebody keep up such a lie for four years?

Please, read carefully the OP: wife received PERMANENT resident card. There will be NO removal of conditions anymore. She's now on her own and does not need the OP anymore. She knew what she was doing.

How can somebody keep up such a lie for four years?

Depends - if it was the 2 yr "conditional" card - she still would need to prove the marriage was entered in a bonafide manner.

If it's the 10 yr card, then the OP has only to prove to ICE/USCIS that the marriage was a sham, and they would do something about it.

The lure of US Citizenship can be strong, enough for someone to do this.

My Advice is usually based on "Worst Case Scenario" and what is written in the rules/laws/instructions. That is the way I roll... -Protect your Status - file before your I-94 expires.

WARNING: Phrases in this post may sound meaner than they were intended to be. Read the Adjudicator's Field Manual from USCIS

Filed: Other Timeline

Yes there is, besides reporting her to the immigration that her intention of marrying you were not true. you can post her pictures in the internet and put the sign on it " SCAMMER" tell everyone that she was you ex-wife and she scammed you etc. :blink:

Edited by lotus101

"True Love is never associated with violence,deception,abuse ( emotional,physical or verbal) constant sacrifice for the good of only one person,jealousy,fear or mistrust"

------------------------------------------

National Domestic Violence Hotline

Help is available to callers 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. Hotline advocates are available for victims and anyone calling on their behalf to provide crisis intervention, safety planning, information and referrals to agencies in all 50 states, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands. Assistance is available in English and Spanish with access to more than 170 languages through interpreter services. If you or someone you know is frightened about something in your relationship, please call the National Domestic Violence Hotline at 1-800-799-SAFE (7233) or TTY 1-800-787-3224.

Filed: Timeline

That sucks dude.

write to me an email on here, there are a couple of things you can still do to at least try to get some piece of mind and even possibly making her life hell with atty fees and what not.

Just went through the scam process myself. So I may be able to help you a bit on things you need to do asap.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

I'm sorry to what happened to you. Not surprised though, considering she's Russian.

Seriously, that statement is kinda offensive. It's sad you have such a black and white view of another culture that you have judged because you've seen some Russian women around Boston. A few bad apples doesn't spoil the bunch. It's unfortunate that you think this way. My SO knows I'm broke right now due to the economy and she is leaving a very high profile good paying job in Russia to live with me here. Actually, She tried to get me to move to Russia before we decided that America would be a better fit for us both (Especially, because my Russian sucks) If it were completely up to her we would be living in Russia. It's unfortunate what has happened to the OP because sometimes we are blinded by love and just want to see what we want and ignore red flags. I'm sure if the OP looks back now there had to be some tell tale signs that she wasn't 100% on board unless she was an amazing actress.

K-1,VSC, Moscow Consulate

I-129F sent:2009-06-04

NOA1: 2009-06-09

NOA2: 2009-09-16

NVC Received: 2009-09-17

NVC Left: 2009-09-22

Consulate Received: 2009-09-25

Medical: IOM, Moscow, 2009-12-07

Interview: 2009-12-08

Visa Received: 2009-12-14

Arrival to USA: 2010-01-15

Marriage: 2010-03-27

AOS, EAD, AP

CIS Office: Charleston, SC

Filed AOS Package: 2010-05-26

NOA: 2010-06-04

Bio Appt: 2010-07-09

AOS Transfer to CSC: 2010-06-30

EAD Card Production Order: 2010-08-04

AP Received: 2010-08-09

ROC

I-751 sent: 2012-7-11

NOA-1: 2012-8-1

Bio-Appointment: 2012-9-19

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline
yes u can just tape or video tape her conversation when she says that she marry u for green card no loving relation, then take it to the immigration and report her and i bet u she will be deported as soon as possible,

good luck

sorry that it happen to u

abby n sheryl

Hopefully he has a Pre-nup in place with a clause that cancels the affidavit of support in the event of divorce.

A pre nup or even a divorce DOES not release the sponsor from the I-864. There are only 4 ways he can get out of it per the I-864 instructions;

How Long Does My Obligationas a Sponsor Continue?

Your obligation to support the immigrant(s) you are sponsoring in this affidavit of support will continue until the sponsored immigrant becomes a U.S. citizen, or can be credited with 40 qualifying quarters of work in the UnitedStates.Although 40 qualifying quarters of work (credits) generally equate to ten years of work, in certain cases the work of aspouse or parent adds qualifying quarters. The Social Security Administration can provide information on how to count qualifying quarters (credits) of work.The obligation also ends if you or the sponsored immigrant dies or if the sponsored immigrant ceases to be a lawfulpermanent resident and departs the United States. Divorce does not end the sponsorship obligation.

I-864

Edited by NArocks

Why is it that the only one who can stop the crying is the one who started it in the first place?

More Complete Story here
My Saga includes 2 step sons
USC Married 4/2007 Colombian on overstay since 2001 of B1/B2 visa
Applied 5/2007 Approved GC in Hand 10/2007
I-751 mailed 6/30/09 aapproved 11/7/09 The BOYS I-751 Mailed 12/29/09 3/23/10 Email approval for 17 CR 3/27/10
4/14/10 Email approval for 13 yr Old CR 4/23/10

Oldest son now 21 I-130 filed by LPR dad ( as per NVC CSPA is applying here )
I-130 approved 2/24
Priority date 12/6/2007
4/6/2010 letter from NVC arrives to son dated 3/4/2010
5/4/10 received AOS and DS3032 via email
9/22/10 Interview BOG Passed
10/3/10 POE JFK all went well
11/11/10 GC Received smile.png

Filed: Timeline

A pre-nup is an agreement between 2 individuals. I-864 is an agreement between the USC and the Govt. What makes you think that a pre-nup can negate an I-864 obligation that the USC has to the Govt of the US?

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Egypt
Timeline

I'm very sorry she did this to you, but, I agree 100%! Record her voice every chance you get when she tells you it was just "business". It should be very easy to get her to say it more than once if you start the conversation.

Then PLEASE, report it to the correct authorities, or several, and get her DEPORTED FAST!! She has used and abused you and the whole immigration system, which is against the law.

We all know the immigration system is slow enough, and having people like her in the system slowing it down even more, is unacceptable. All of us are patiently waiting our turn to bring our family member here, and she should not benefit from anything good you have tried to do for her, if she decieved you from the start.

Good luck to you...........

01-04-09 - Married in Egyptian Embassy - Qatar - honeymoon in Egypt (Ahmed's home country)

05-04-09 - I-130 Sent

12-13-09 - INTERVIEW PASSED (Qatar)....Spent 12 weeks in AP

03-03-10 - VISA IN HAND :)

03-06-10 - AHMED COMES HOME :)

03-12-10 - SS# card received

03-19-10 - GC received

05-15-10 - First job

06-01-11 - Better job!

03-2012 - Started our business

Removal of Conditions/10 yr GC

02-15-12 - Sent I-175 ROC

07-17-12 - approved!....card production ordered!!!!

07-21-12 - 10 yr card arrived in mail :)

03-2013 - Apply for Naturalization

A pre-nup is an agreement between 2 individuals. I-864 is an agreement between the USC and the Govt. What makes you think that a pre-nup can negate an I-864 obligation that the USC has to the Govt of the US?

Oh thatz ez. You include a "waiver clause" that the woman agrees to. It says the manz affidavit of support is withdrawn in the event of divorce.

Man mails the agreement to the US Gov't. Itz smart financial planning with the help of lawyers. The important step is to have a separate lawyer represent the wife when she signs the pre-nup. Her lawyer counter signs declaring that she understands what she is signing.

My friend did it and is no longer on the hook if his foreign ex goes on welfare. Legal and financial planning go hand in hand in our land.

Sign-on-a-church-af.jpgLogic-af.jpgwwiao.gif

Filed: Other Country: Afghanistan
Timeline

If this was the 2 year card and she files for divorce within a few weeks of getting it that alone should throw up red flags all over the place and help validate his situation come lifting conditions.

Will the gov. recognize that itzallgood? Because if she breaks the agreement then its not like he can force her to withdraw it...I think all he can do is sue her if she doesn't.

Edited by lancer1655

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.