cohibakid

My wife just got her Permanent Residence Card and now is filing for divorce.

84 posts in this topic

My wife received her Permanent Residence Card and now is filing for divorce. I thought her intentions were true and that she was really in love with me, but she told me it was just a business relationship for her to get into the US. I feel like I got scammed, is there anything I can do to stop this scammer?

make it sure she doesn't have enough evidence to proved she enter in good faith, that if she still need to remove condition , but if she already have the 10 yrs gc then just be prepared to moved on, good luck.

Edited by otso88

10 Yrs. Unconditional Greencard Approved, 06 - 03 - 2009

Wow, that really sucks. It does seem like there isn't much you can do. But some ideas mentioned here seem viable to at least try (either sending a letter to gov't about your concerns that she used you, or even better videotaping the conversation where she confesses to that)... She might still be able to remove conditions, but it's worth a try on your part... sorry to hear about your loss again =[

Awful situation my friend. Im sorry for you.

So in a 4 year relat ionship that was a sham, you mean to tell me that there are no "Red Flags" that were jumping out at you??

Here are some that a few people on VJ might catch on to, cause we have a fairly bright community here.

1. Emotional Coldness

2. Lack of caring

3. Spending time doing things without you

4. Amounts of money being spent without explanation

5. Mysterious phone calls or txts.

6. Brief, glib speech and nervous laughter.

7. Changing the subject when you try to interrogate her

8. Indifference to you.

Sign-on-a-church-af.jpgLogic-af.jpgwwiao.gif

Two things:

first, I would strongly suggest that any privilege extended based upon lies can be revoked. Thus, the 10 year card can be revoked if it is proven it was obtained by fraud/deception. Recording a conversation is a nice idea that might cause her a sleepless night or two when you tell her but I think you will find that in most jurisdictions it cannot be used as evidence unless both parties are aware it is being recorded.

second, looking at a prior post that indicates a prenup voids the I-864. I know almost no one is silly enough to believe this but just in case, a prenup cannot get your out of your commitment to the US Gov't to support the applicant. Whatever your friend told you a I-864 cannot be made null and void except by the party with whom you hold it, the Gov't. A prenup has NO bearing on this matter and relates predominantly to marital assets.

Its like telling your mortgage company you no longer owe them money because someone you met in the street signed a sheet of paper saying they would pay the mortgage instead. Try it and see what the mortgage company says.

Think about it for about half a second, your spouse cannot free you from a commitment to pay money to the gov't! :blink:

AOS Application

AOS posted 5/30/2007

AOS arrived in Chicago 6/1/2007

NOA1 rcvd 6/11/2007, dated 6/6/2007

AOS/EAD/AP touched 6/10/2007

AOS/EAD/AP touched 6/11/2007

Rcvd AOS/EAD Biometrics appt. letter 6/19/2007

I130/EAD/AP touched 6/24/2007

AOS/EAD Biometrics appt. 7/6/2007

AOS/EAD touched 7/6/2007

AOS/EAD touched 7/9/2007

AP touched 8/14/2007

AP touched 8/15/2007

AP touched 8/16/2007

EAD approved 8/20 EAD Approved

Rcvd AP in post 8/22/2007 AP Approved

AOS Interview 9/26/2007

AOS Approved 9/26/2007

I-751 Petition to Remove Conditions of Residence

I-751 mailed 07/06/09

I-751 arrived VSC 07/07/09

NOA1 dated 07/07/09

Biometrics 08/13/0

I-751 Approval 12/10/09 I-751 Approved

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
yes u can just tape or video tape her conversation when she says that she marry u for green card no loving relation, then take it to the immigration and report her and i bet u she will be deported as soon as possible,

other than that there is nothing u can,. it is ur words against her words.

and she will deny it , get the proof first then u can do something

I'm very sorry she did this to you, but, I agree 100%! Record her voice every chance you get when she tells you it was just "business". It should be very easy to get her to say it more than once if you start the conversation.

Then PLEASE, report it to the correct authorities, or several, and get her DEPORTED FAST!! She has used and abused you and the whole immigration system, which is against the law.

We all know the immigration system is slow enough, and having people like her in the system slowing it down even more, is unacceptable. All of us are patiently waiting our turn to bring our family member here, and she should not benefit from anything good you have tried to do for her, if she decieved you from the start.

Good luck to you...........

I agree... do all you can to get PROOF to her intent! Whether that's in writing, a text or as some people suggest... a video (although I'm guessing that wouldn't be easy). If that involves stealing her mobile and going through it... do it!! Ideally getting a divorce right after the issue of a green card should be reason enough for authorities to do some digging about of their own.

It sucks this happened to you, and I hope that this stands as a warning to everyone else out there.... be 110% before entering into marriage. So many people I see on here are getting married and moving someone to the US (or wherever) after only a few months together and one meeting. To me, that's just crazy and inviting trouble - I've been with my gf from a year and a half now, and only just looking into the Visa thing. I know it's horrible being apart from your loved ones, but ask yourself... if I lived down the road from this person, would I still be marrying them?

More personal to the OP now.... are their any 'red flags' that you didn't see at the time, that you're now kicking yourself over?? I think it would be good for others to learn from your experience.

Dave

UK-US%20Flags2.gif

Two things:

first, I would strongly suggest that any privilege extended based upon lies can be revoked. Thus, the 10 year card can be revoked if it is proven it was obtained by fraud/deception. Recording a conversation is a nice idea that might cause her a sleepless night or two when you tell her but I think you will find that in most jurisdictions it cannot be used as evidence unless both parties are aware it is being recorded.

second, looking at a prior post that indicates a prenup voids the I-864. I know almost no one is silly enough to believe this but just in case, a prenup cannot get your out of your commitment to the US Gov't to support the applicant. Whatever your friend told you a I-864 cannot be made null and void except by the party with whom you hold it, the Gov't. A prenup has NO bearing on this matter and relates predominantly to marital assets.

Its like telling your mortgage company you no longer owe them money because someone you met in the street signed a sheet of paper saying they would pay the mortgage instead. Try it and see what the mortgage company says.

Think about it for about half a second, your spouse cannot free you from a commitment to pay money to the gov't! :blink:

Nice try, and thank you for playing.

However, A Pre-Nup can be about anything you want it to be, including GROUND RULES of how a marriage should be. Couples have been known to codify specific rules like how often the man will do the dishes, how often the man shall bring the woman roses, how often the woman shall be on her back, how often the man shall mow her lawn, hehe. If the man puts in an affidavit of support cancellation clause, it simply SHIFTS the burden of responsibility to the foreign spouse. She agrees that in a divorce, she will then BE ON HER OWN, and responsible for herself. Men commonly pay something called alimony (aka, vaginamomny) and child support. In a divorce with an affidavit of support waiver in the pre-nup, a judge could order an amount credited to the man if the woman goes on welfare, a credit if you will. Granted, it depends how rock solid and bullet proof the pre-nup is written. Why is this so hard to believe? The US is a country under the rule of law. If a man is wise, he can protect his interests in life under an umbrella of laws. You just gotta be a smart player and think with the right head. Good luck, and hopefully YOU wrote up a pre-nup to protect your interests and marriage.

Filed: Timeline
This is off topic but a pre-nup cannot negate an I-864. You really think The Govt will look at the pre-nup and say, oh so these 2 individuals decided that in case of a divorce the USC is not responsible for the beneficiary anymore so We will just accept it and let the USC off the hook. Wow! doesn't even make sense!

Look, with all due respect I wont get into an argument as this is fairly obvious. I don't know what "nice try" means but regardless...

You have a belief based upon your application of logic and that is fine. I just want anyone reading this thread to apply a little common sense before they do something without getting advice.

The immigrant cannot absolve a USC of their commitment to support them. The contract (I-864) the USC has is between the UISC and the Gov't, not the immigrant. The immigrant has no involvement in this agreement and cannot assume the responsibility, UNLESS the Gov't agrees to it. They cannot say 'I will take care of myself' as the issue only becomes an issue when they cannot take care of themselves and the US tax payer has to step up to the plate.

Edit===

I will add this. If you have a prenup stating so you CAN put the immigrant in a position where he/she is liable to repay costs to you (except this is only an issue when they have no money!) but my point remains, you cannot sidestep the US Gov't initially coming after you.

Edited by wexford65

AOS Application

AOS posted 5/30/2007

AOS/EAD touched 7/6/2007

AOS/EAD touched 7/9/2007

AP touched 8/14/2007

AP touched 8/15/2007

AP touched 8/16/2007

AOS Interview 9/26/2007

AOS Approved 9/26/2007

I-751 mailed 07/06/09

NOA1 dated 07/07/09

Biometrics 08/13/0

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
Two things:

However, A Pre-Nup can be about anything you want it to be, including GROUND RULES of how a marriage should be. Couples have been known to codify specific rules like how often the man will do the dishes, how often the man shall bring the woman roses, how often the woman shall be on her back, how often the man shall mow her lawn, hehe. If the man puts in an affidavit of support cancellation clause, it simply SHIFTS the burden of responsibility to the foreign spouse. She agrees that in a divorce, she will then BE ON HER OWN, and responsible for herself. Men commonly pay something called alimony (aka, vaginamomny) and child support. In a divorce with an affidavit of support waiver in the pre-nup, a judge could order an amount credited to the man if the woman goes on welfare, a credit if you will. Granted, it depends how rock solid and bullet proof the pre-nup is written. Why is this so hard to believe? The US is a country under the rule of law. If a man is wise, he can protect his interests in life under an umbrella of laws. You just gotta be a smart player and think with the right head. Good luck, and hopefully YOU wrote up a pre-nup to protect your interests and marriage.

you may as well quit while you're behind. many have said a pre-nup has no bearing on the i-864 and i agree with them.

additionally, moved from IR-1 / CR-1 Spouse Visa Process & Procedures to changes forum as this topic would be better served there.

Edited by charles!

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Two things:

you may as well quit while you're behind. many have said a pre-nup has no bearing on the i-864 and i agree with them.

additionally, moved from IR-1 / CR-1 Spouse Visa Process & Procedures to changes forum as this topic would be better served there.

I hear you Charles, Bro. I respect your opinion, andnow I will go silent on the matter.

All I can say is, Men, talk to a qualified immigration Atty, and you will believe!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline
A prenup negating the I 864? Talk about 'nice try'....!

:rofl:

Why is it that the only one who can stop the crying is the one who started it in the first place?

More Complete Story here
My Saga includes 2 step sons
USC Married 4/2007 Colombian on overstay since 2001 of B1/B2 visa
Applied 5/2007 Approved GC in Hand 10/2007
I-751 mailed 6/30/09 aapproved 11/7/09 The BOYS I-751 Mailed 12/29/09 3/23/10 Email approval for 17 CR 3/27/10
4/14/10 Email approval for 13 yr Old CR 4/23/10

Oldest son now 21 I-130 filed by LPR dad ( as per NVC CSPA is applying here )
I-130 approved 2/24
Priority date 12/6/2007
4/6/2010 letter from NVC arrives to son dated 3/4/2010
5/4/10 received AOS and DS3032 via email
9/22/10 Interview BOG Passed
10/3/10 POE JFK all went well
11/11/10 GC Received smile.png

yes, hilarious. :jest:

I will add this, why just "men". I think this works both ways...

AOS Application

AOS posted 5/30/2007

AOS/EAD touched 7/6/2007

AOS/EAD touched 7/9/2007

AP touched 8/14/2007

AP touched 8/15/2007

AP touched 8/16/2007

AOS Interview 9/26/2007

AOS Approved 9/26/2007

I-751 mailed 07/06/09

NOA1 dated 07/07/09

Biometrics 08/13/0

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.