anav

AOS Interview-Not so Great

32 posts in this topic

Hi,

My spouse and I filed for AOS last February. He is a US citizen and I am a foreign who arrived with a B1/B2 visa. Today we had our AOS interview and they asked us for documents that I don't recall seeing in the checklist within the appointment letter. I can't even check right now as they stayed with the letter. Stupid me of not photocopying it.

We have been married for 10 years and have lived overseas up until last October, when we decided to move to the US. We have one 5 year old son who lives with us.

The interviewer was not a very nice lady. First she checked my passport and annulled the B1/B2 visa and wrote adjustment of status in red ink.

After seeing our religious marriage certificate (legal document) she requested our "civil" marriage certificate, which does not exist, as in my country of origin, the civil ceremony is carried out together with the religious ceremony and the priest has the authority of a civil judge, therefore, only one ceremony is necessary. We explained this to her but she did not get it. After a bit of unnecessary arguing back and fourth she left the room with the certificate in hand, apparently to consult with someone else and came back convinced that what we were stating was accurate.

She then requested our son's birth certificate which we handed to her. She requested my husband's letter of employment which we did not have (I apparently overlooked it). This got her uncomfortable. She asked for proof that we were living together, and we handed her the lease of our home, which was under both our names. She asked for more proof, as joined bank statements and bills which we did not have, as I recently obtained my SSN and given to that it is yet inactive (the Social Security administration says I need to wait a month to have it activated) my husband hasn't even been able to file his tax returns, as the IRS still doesn't recognize my SSN as valid (yet). So we have no tax returns. Yet, for the the affidavit we got a sponsor, my husband's cousin, who was perfectly eligible, although she asked the name of the company where he worked and we could not remember the name (although she had it in front of her in the copy of his W2). She asked for photographs, which I did not bring, given that they were not on the list, and all our wedding pictures are in my homeland. We were under the impression that wedding pictures were required for couples that were recently married and not for those who have been married for over 10 years. We have recent pictures here (which I did not take with me), but I didn't believe this meant anything as anyone can have recent pictures taken and printed.

I handed her both our last 3 pay stubs with our addresses on it and she was already very frustrated, yelling at us stating that we did not come prepared, that we had a whole month to do so and what not. The letter did not mention anything about bringing bills or photographs.

I was handing her other mail with our names and addresses, as notices from the IRS and Social Security but she would not take them or look at them. She didn't even let us talk, she got up from her chair and practically kicked us out of the office, not before stating that she will review our case before responding. I asked her when we will know the outcome, she stated we will get a letter within the next 30 days.

What does this mean? Does this mean she will deny our application? If so, what should be my next step and how much would it cost?

Edited by anav

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

don't get me wrong, but from what i read i feel suspiciuos about your marriage. You have been married for 10 years but you are appreaing before USCIS first time. You just go as you are newly married. Check list doesn't mentioned everythign, but you can read the other forum and you can prepare your what to bring.

I hope the best for you. In case somethign not goes in your favour, i whould advise to hire Lawyer. You don't want to take chance with them.

I-130 Visa Application

204 days to approve I-130

NVC

43 Days To approve appliation at NVC

Removign Condition from greencard

2011-09-25 ; Greencard Expire

2011-06-27 : application filed 91 days to go before Greencard expire

they will probably send u the letter within 30 days, wait for the letter and then take it from there.

good luck

it does not sound good.

abby n sheryl

Our time line for CR1 visa took only 5 months and 1 week or 156 days; from the filing the I-130 on the 03-12-2009 to Approval of NOA2 on the 05/13/2009, then Interview on the 08/18/2009 at Manila, Philippines. We had a daughter on the 11-12-2010 named AISHA JOY means HAPPY LIFE.a1_opt-1.jpga2_opt-1.jpga3_opt-1.jpg

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

A great reference for you to use (prior to finding Visa Journey) is the I-130 form that your spouse submitted. In the instructions there is a list titled "What Documents Do You Need to Prove Family Relationship?" Below the letter "D" in this section is a list of additional documentation that can be used.

The onus is on the petitioner and beneficiary to prove their claim. Typically when dealing with the USCIS more is better.

Read through the Guides here (click the tab at the top of every page) and assemble as much of the suggested items as possible. Also read through the Adjustment of Status forums to learn from other VJ'ers.

Best of luck to you.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Thanks for your good wishes.

I forgot to mention that we are expecting our second child ( 2 months pregnant). We never thought we would ever move to the US as we were doing fine where we lived over seas, in my country of origin. My husband had a change of heart last year and we moved. I've had B1/B2 visa all my life and we used to travel to US only for vacations.

In the previous post I was advised to get a lawyer. Why would we need a lawyer if we have nothing to hide nor have submitted false testimony? I can produce about 20 lbs of family pictures that go back in time the 14 years that we've been together and a lot more mail sent to us at the address where we live together.

What is usually the next step? Can they deny the application due to lack of evidence? Would they give us a chance to present the missing evidence before making a final decision? If denied, does anyone know what the next step is?

Edited by anav

It sounds like you were totally unprepared for this interview. You did not even provide some of the most basic things that the letter asked for. More is always better. If they don't want to look at it, great, but it's better to have more than you need, than to have little in the way of what you need. I hope that people who read this post will learn from your experience.

24q38dy.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Duplicate posts merged and topic moved to AOS forum

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Im sorry this happened but i cant blame the IO because u were really unprepared. Most.. If not all of what the officer asked for were at the checklist. These things are also always being asked or discussed in forums.

Hopefully in 30 days what u receive is a letter requesting for more evidences/proof and not a denial letter. I suggest u have all evidences ready while waiting.

Good luck.

P.S

I didnt know IO's cancel B2 visas even before deciding on the application. My visa was cancelled after the IO stamped temporary I-551.

12/29/2007 Got married in the Philippines
03/28/2008 Got 10yr B1/B2 visa
04/12/2008 Arrived in US under B1/B2 visa
08/06/2008 Filed I-539 visa extension
10/23/2008 I-539 approved
02/23/2009 USC wife filed I-130 Chicago Lockbox
02/26/2009 I-130 delivered to Chicago Lockbox
02/27/2009 Medical exam I-693
03/01/2009 Negative result on TB skin test
03/04/2009 I-130 received by California Service Center
03/05/2009 Check cashed by USCIS
03/06/2009 Medical Exam form I-693 released by civil surgeon
03/07/2009 NOA Receipt Notice for I-130
03/14/2009 Mailed I-485, I-864, I-693, I-765 & I-131 thru USPS
03/16/2009 "The Package" delivered to Chicago Lockbox
03/16/2009 I-94 expired after 11 months since arrival
03/25/2009 Check cashed by USCIS
03/26/2009 Received NOA for I-485, I-765, I-131
03/28/2009 Received notice for Biometrics Appointment (April 9)
04/02/2009 Approval Notice for I-130 received
04/09/2009 Biometrics done
05/07/2009 Received Advance Parole Document
05/08/2009 Received Interview Letter
05/09/2009 Received EAD card
05/11/2009 Applied for SSN
05/16/2009 Received SSN
06/23/2009 AOS interview approved
06/27/2009 Welcome Letter received
07/05/2009 Green Card received
06/01/2011 Mailed I-751 Form
06/07/2011 Received NOA for I-751
07/11/2011 Biometrics Done

03/19/2015 Mailed N-400

03/30/2015 NOA Received

04/15/2015 Biometrics Appointment

06/23/2015 Interview

07/22/2015 Oath Ceremony

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Sorry it went that way but you did not help your case by being so unprepared. However,things can go several ways. They may send an RFE for supporting docs which I suggest you start gathering or they call you for a second interview which you should start preparing for. At least start gathering documentary evidence of your life the ten years of you have been married. Best of luck..

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Pakistan
Timeline

I have a feeling that despite a very bitter experience, you'll do just fine. They will either ask you to come in for another interview or approve your case. I think your children will come to your safety on this one:). I am adjusting from B-2 as well. My wife being the USC. My I-130 was pending and silent for 7 months and the day I sent them our baby's sonoscan picture, they sent me an I-130 approval within the week. USCIS doesn't usually give a tough time to those couples having children, if there isn't any other major issue at play. I would love to see how my prediction turns out on your case. Please do let us know. My prayers are with you.

Edited by saspak

IR5 For Parent

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

Anav, im sorry to hear your interview went like that, it sreally heartbreaking.

I would advise you to wait for the letter , stay positive and take it from there. You will do fine and God knows the plans, He has for you and this, in His eyes, is a small challenge. Don't Give Up

Hi,

My spouse and I filed for AOS last February. He is a US citizen and I am a foreign who arrived with a B1/B2 visa. Today we had our AOS interview and they asked us for documents that I don't recall seeing in the checklist within the appointment letter. I can't even check right now as they stayed with the letter. Stupid me of not photocopying it.

We have been married for 10 years and have lived overseas up until last October, when we decided to move to the US. We have one 5 year old son who lives with us.

The interviewer was not a very nice lady. First she checked my passport and annulled the B1/B2 visa and wrote adjustment of status in red ink.

After seeing our religious marriage certificate (legal document) she requested our "civil" marriage certificate, which does not exist, as in my country of origin, the civil ceremony is carried out together with the religious ceremony and the priest has the authority of a civil judge, therefore, only one ceremony is necessary. We explained this to her but she did not get it. After a bit of unnecessary arguing back and fourth she left the room with the certificate in hand, apparently to consult with someone else and came back convinced that what we were stating was accurate.

She then requested our son's birth certificate which we handed to her. She requested my husband's letter of employment which we did not have (I apparently overlooked it). This got her uncomfortable. She asked for proof that we were living together, and we handed her the lease of our home, which was under both our names. She asked for more proof, as joined bank statements and bills which we did not have, as I recently obtained my SSN and given to that it is yet inactive (the Social Security administration says I need to wait a month to have it activated) my husband hasn't even been able to file his tax returns, as the IRS still doesn't recognize my SSN as valid (yet). So we have no tax returns. Yet, for the the affidavit we got a sponsor, my husband's cousin, who was perfectly eligible, although she asked the name of the company where he worked and we could not remember the name (although she had it in front of her in the copy of his W2). She asked for photographs, which I did not bring, given that they were not on the list, and all our wedding pictures are in my homeland. We were under the impression that wedding pictures were required for couples that were recently married and not for those who have been married for over 10 years. We have recent pictures here (which I did not take with me), but I didn't believe this meant anything as anyone can have recent pictures taken and printed.

I handed her both our last 3 pay stubs with our addresses on it and she was already very frustrated, yelling at us stating that we did not come prepared, that we had a whole month to do so and what not. The letter did not mention anything about bringing bills or photographs.

I was handing her other mail with our names and addresses, as notices from the IRS and Social Security but she would not take them or look at them. She didn't even let us talk, she got up from her chair and practically kicked us out of the office, not before stating that she will review our case before responding. I asked her when we will know the outcome, she stated we will get a letter within the next 30 days.

What does this mean? Does this mean she will deny our application? If so, what should be my next step and how much would it cost?

Edited by shefellfromheaven

In your Strength, I can crush an army; with my God , I can scale any wall .....2nd Samuel 22:30

For God did not give us a spirit of fear and timidity, but a spirit of power, of love and of self discipline}... 2 Timothy 1 :7[/i]

Set me as seal over your heart. Solomon 8:6

imgfinal2.jpg

AOS

08/03/2009 - AOS Approval

08/13/ 2009- GC in mail

ROC

09/01/2011 - Roc Approval

N - 400

06/15/2012 - Mailed N - 400 package to Phoenix

06/19/2012 - Notice of Action

07/20/2012 - Biometrics

08/20/2012 - Interview: PASSED

09/21/2012 - Oath Ceremony :)

09/21/2012 - US Citizen

RqhYvq6.jpgRqhYm4.pngRqhYm4.png

Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows James 1 : 17[/center]

Hi,

Your visa annulled is a normal procedure for consular matters, same happened to me with my B1/B2 visa for printing the K1 visa. I am wondering why your husband didn't apply for a K3 or IR1 visa? the B1/B2 is not the correct visa for this moving, but anyway it is done, not way back on this.

Yes, when they move back to other office is because there is other official with more experience and they go to check with them.

She then requested our son's birth certificate which we handed to her. She requested my husband's letter of employment which we did not have (I apparently overlooked it). This got her uncomfortable. She asked for proof that we were living together, and we handed her the lease of our home, which was under both our names. She asked for more proof, as joined bank statements and bills which we did not have, as I recently obtained my SSN and given to that it is yet inactive (the Social Security administration says I need to wait a month to have it activated) my husband hasn't even been able to file his tax returns, as the IRS still doesn't recognize my SSN as valid (yet). So we have no tax returns. Yet, for the the affidavit we got a sponsor, my husband's cousin, who was perfectly eligible, although she asked the name of the company where he worked and we could not remember the name (although she had it in front of her in the copy of his W2).

They do that for confirming that you are not lying or prepared fakes documents.

She asked for photographs, which I did not bring, given that they were not on the list, and all our wedding pictures are in my homeland. We were under the impression that wedding pictures were required for couples that were recently married and not for those who have been married for over 10 years. We have recent pictures here (which I did not take with me), but I didn't believe this meant anything as anyone can have recent pictures taken and printed.

When you take a bunch of pictures in differents situations, dates, moments of your life, in all of them you look different. Hair cut, weight, clothes, different nails in women and so and they can figure out if they are all taken together. Next time take them with you. Ask somebody here and have them mailed the mail system at La Feria is working better now. You can have those pictures there in 2 weeks.

Not sure about the denial, if I were you I would wait the 30 days response, If I don't get response from them, call there at ask for an appointment with the supervisor and just be sure to take all the documents with you this time.

There is not additional steps if you get approved except for removing conditions in 2 years.

This you asked for work permit and parole advance? it is free with you filled out the forms with the AOS forms.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Zambia
Timeline

The only way a lawyer would be helpful is to make sure you get everything together that is requested by USCIS in their letter telling you of the interview date. All evidences of any kind. Your husband can file the income tax return and request an ITIN for you (form W-7) since you have no SSN yet. He could prepare the forms tomorrow or over the weekend, sign & photocopy, and keep a copy to show the USCIS next time, if there is one.

A half-dozen photos would suffice, especially recent ones in different places.

The interviewer was just doing her job. Good luck.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Hong Kong
Timeline

Interesting how you mentioned that the interview notification didn't tell you what to bring however on my interview letter they gave specific examples of things to bring:

"YOU MUST BRING THE FOLLOWING ITEMS WITH YOU:

*** Supporting evidence of your relationship, such as copies of any documentation regarding joint assets or liabilities you and your spouse may have together. This may include: tax returns, bank statements, insurance documents (car,life,health), property documents (car, house, etc), rental agreements, utility bills, credit cards, contracts, leases, photos, correspondence and/or any other documents you feel may substantiate your relationship. "

You might have over looked that section on your interview notification sent. It was definitely on it. The IO was doing her job, you were unprepared and assumed.

S.Fu [uSC] + T.Fu [F-1]

=Personal Timeline=

08.2001........... Arrived to the US with F-1 Student Visa. Met @ NMHSchool (Northfield, MA)

01.26.2003...... Began dating

07.2006........... Began living together

12-01.2009...... S's proposal

03.23.2009...... Got married

=AOS Experience Timeline=

04.25.2009...... I-693 Completed

05.04.2009...... UPS Next Day Air- mailed out AOS Packet to USCIS

05.06.2009...... UPS package signed by Reception: CHIBA at 10:18 A.M.

05.11.2009...... Received receipt for NOA

05.14.2009...... Received NOA for Biometrics at USCIS Santa Ana, CA for 05/29/2009 3:00 P.M.

05.29.2009...... Completed Biometrics for I-485, I-765 at USCIS Santa Ana, CA (Approx. 40 mins.)

06.02.2009...... I-485, I-765 touched

06.04.2009...... I-765 Current Status: Card production ordered.

06.09.2009...... I-765 Touched: Current Status: Approval notice sent.

06.12.2009...... Received EAD card [Dated 06.08.2009]

06.22.2009...... Received Interview NOA in mail [Dated 06.18.2009] T's B-day!

07.10.2009...... Received Renewed CA DL

08.18.2009...... Interview at Civic Center Santa Ana Tues @ 8:20 A.M. Approved

08.21.2009...... Received I-130 + I-485 Approval Notice.

08.28.2009...... Received 2 year permanent resident green card.

05.18.2011-

08.17.2011...... Submit joint petition [Form I-751] to have the conditional basis of status removed.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.