VanessaTony

Australian Beneficiaries - Packet 3 to Interview date

1,038 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

Hey guys,

I have been here in the states with Kelvin now for 6 weeks and it feels so good to be together again! :-)

We are getting together everything we need for the AOS but we just have a few questions that hopefully someone will be able to help us with:

1. We are applying for the EAD and AP with the AOS. For the AP form, it asks the expected date of my travel and the length of the trip. I am only applying for the AP in case there is an emergency or something back home and i have to travel back to Australia, so what should i put for this question?

2. Since I am a k-1 visa holder it says you do not have to have another medical exam since it is less than a year since i had the one for k-1 interview. But i did read that you are still required to see a doctor and show proof of your vacinations becuase the doctor still needs to fill out part of the medical forms. Is this correct, do i have to see a doctor?

3. Lastly, Do you receive a Social Security Number when you file for the AOS or is this something that you have to apply for after the AOS?

Any help will be very much appreciated.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Congrats on being here :)

First, head on over to the AOS thread mentioned in my signature. That will help with required forms :)

To answer your qns though:

1. put unknown and unknown. There is no issue with this because of the exact reason you mentioned, emergencies. Some people actually have trips planned, and the form's also used for re-entry permits etc so writing Unknown for both is fine (got mine no issue)

2. the DS-3025 is the vaccination copy that you got from your panel physician in Australia. If at the bottom of the form it says "complete" you don't need to see a CS (civil surgeon) but if it says incomplete (which mine did) then you will need to see a CS who will complete form I-693. They will not complete it all though (have a read of the instructions, it explains it in the FAQs on the form about a K1 not needing a new medical). You will only need to complete Part 1 (about you), Part 2 (Vaccination table only) and Part 5 (their signature). That's it. Some CS's don't know this though so if you have to call one ask for the cost of "vaccination transcription" and hopefully they know what it means. Should not cost more than $50 for it and you DO NOT need a TB skin test. The price doesn't include any shots that you might require though. Sometimes they have the forms in their office so make sure you ask whether you need to bring the form in, or if they have the most recent copy.

3. No. You have to go to the SSA yourself and apply. You can find the form SS-5 on their website and you can complete that, take it and your passport with K1 in it and you're good to go. If you're married you can TRY and get it in your married name but a lot of people have had issues with that so first you should get it in your maiden name because it matches on their system. Then when you get your EAD you can go and get it changed. For AOS purposes you don't NEED a SSN, and if you have one in your maiden name but complete the AOS forms in your married name it's not a problem (mine is still in my maiden name because we just haven't had a chance to get down to the SSA).

Timeline

I have to ask since I can't seem to find a clear answer elsewhere:

In the I-134, does my cosponsor include my fiancé as a dependent, or do I count my fiancé as a dependent (even though I don't work)?

Timeline
I have to ask since I can't seem to find a clear answer elsewhere:

In the I-134, does my cosponsor include my fiancé as a dependent, or do I count my fiancé as a dependent (even though I don't work)?

The I-864 discusses household size better. The USC and the person who's acting as their co-sponsor are BOTH sponsoring the Aussie, hence the term "co-sponsor", or "joint-sponsor" when it comes to the I-864.

Both the USC and co-sponsor put the Aussie on their I-134's. The USC petitioner completes an I-134 even if they don't work. The same will be required when you get to the AOS stage (the I-864)

Timeline

So we'd include him as partially dependent (since we're sponsoring him for the visa)?

Thanks.

I had to look up the form to confirm what you were talking about - if you're talking about section 8, the immigrant does not get added to that section. That's only if you have children or something that you sponsor.

I'm a little less sure about whether your father would put his wife (if he's your co-sponsor, this is just an example). I would assume he would put his wife and put partially dependent if she works, or wholly dependent if she doesn't. If the co-sponsor has children s/he would also include his/her children (and most likely put wholly dependent if just he works, or partially is his wife also works to support the family).

If you're talking about section 9, that's only if you've previously sponsored someone else to immigrate and the I-864 is still in effect.

The I-134 isn't really binding. It's when you get to the I-864 that it's binding and I must admit, that form is must less.. confusing than this one which is sometimes very ambiguous in it's questions but really it's a simple form. Your co-sponsor would complete the form much the same as you would, by putting the Aussie in section 3, listing any children or wives or husbands in Section 8 (though i'd hope you have no other wives/husbands) and then their income details and signing the form. Easy peasy :)

Hope that makes sense :)

Timeline

One last question, which I feel I'm confused about because it's three AM here...

Do I send the original I-129F package to the embassy with the packet three documents or does my fiancé just take it to the interview? Same with the evidence of the relationship.

Timeline

Congrats on being here :)

First, head on over to the AOS thread mentioned in my signature. That will help with required forms :)

To answer your qns though:

1. put unknown and unknown. There is no issue with this because of the exact reason you mentioned, emergencies. Some people actually have trips planned, and the form's also used for re-entry permits etc so writing Unknown for both is fine (got mine no issue)

2. the DS-3025 is the vaccination copy that you got from your panel physician in Australia. If at the bottom of the form it says "complete" you don't need to see a CS (civil surgeon) but if it says incomplete (which mine did) then you will need to see a CS who will complete form I-693. They will not complete it all though (have a read of the instructions, it explains it in the FAQs on the form about a K1 not needing a new medical). You will only need to complete Part 1 (about you), Part 2 (Vaccination table only) and Part 5 (their signature). That's it. Some CS's don't know this though so if you have to call one ask for the cost of "vaccination transcription" and hopefully they know what it means. Should not cost more than $50 for it and you DO NOT need a TB skin test. The price doesn't include any shots that you might require though. Sometimes they have the forms in their office so make sure you ask whether you need to bring the form in, or if they have the most recent copy.

3. No. You have to go to the SSA yourself and apply. You can find the form SS-5 on their website and you can complete that, take it and your passport with K1 in it and you're good to go. If you're married you can TRY and get it in your married name but a lot of people have had issues with that so first you should get it in your maiden name because it matches on their system. Then when you get your EAD you can go and get it changed. For AOS purposes you don't NEED a SSN, and if you have one in your maiden name but complete the AOS forms in your married name it's not a problem (mine is still in my maiden name because we just haven't had a chance to get down to the SSA).

Thanks for the reply Vanessa! Your answers were very helpfull!

Just one last question? Even though we will be married once we send the AOS stuff off, do i put my maiden name or my married name on all the forms? The reason i ask is becuase i thought you also have to go through the name change process after you get married and i might not have done that before i send off AOS?

Thanks again :yes:

Timeline

Thanks for the reply Vanessa! Your answers were very helpfull!

Just one last question? Even though we will be married once we send the AOS stuff off, do i put my maiden name or my married name on all the forms? The reason i ask is becuase i thought you also have to go through the name change process after you get married and i might not have done that before i send off AOS?

Thanks again :yes:

If you've changed your name to his, and that's what you want to be called then yes, put your married name on them because your greencard will arrive in whatever name you put on the forms. If you put your maiden name the card will come in that name and if you want to change it before ROC then it will cost $300+ to the greencard changed.

You don't actually have to do any name change process after you get married, you already did it by GETTING married. That's your name change document. It only changes your last name though unless you have a certificate that says name before marriage and name after marriage (like in Iowa). HOWEVER there is some stuff you'll need to do to change your name in Aus, there should be a name change link in my signature as well.

Personally I haven't had the chance to change my SSN. The only thing I have with my married name is my bank card... which is good because I get to practice signing. I'm going back to Aus in a couple of weeks and i'll change my DL, passport, and bank cards there (not as easy as it sounds, you'll see when you read the link on Aussie Name change process). My GC was approved without RFE and without interview and like I said, I have NO ID in my married name yet, just my bank card and marriage certificate. My SSN was still (and still is) in my maiden name when I filed AOS in my married.. like I said, wasn't an issue :)

• 6 months later...

So this is an older thread, but I feel like commenting on it anyway!

We got Packet 3 and mailed off the 230 form the next day. They should have gotten it by now. We are just waiting for them to email/mail that form to us about the NZ Police check authorization. As soon as we get that, gonna fill that out and mail that right away. Also, going to mail Packet 3 paperwork and "Ready for Interview" checklist to them the same day.

The Aus and NZ Police checks go straight to the Consulate, and he's got the medical report with him. I gave him the I-134 and all the paperwork for that, too... so we're only waiting on that NZ Police form!

It's okay to mail the "Ready for Interview" form back to them if we don't have the Police reports in hand, right? We were told that they HAD to be mailed to the Consulate directly, so we weren't given the option! I figure if we mail the checklist back and just write "Mailed from Police to Consulate" in those areas, we'll be okay. Right? (I hope!)

Hopefully we get that NZ form today, so all the paperwork will go back tomorrow! How long is it generally taking now from mailing the Packet 3 paperwork back to them til the actual interview? Has anyone done this recently?

I'm so excited! Checking email every 5 minutes today with the hope of a Police form in there!

Spoiler

07/20/2011-------I-485 and I-765 Sent
07/26/2011-------NOA1 received via email
08/05/2011-------RFE Notification via email and text
08/11/2011-------RFE Hardcopy in mail
08/12/2011-------RFE Sent back
08/15/2011-------RFE Received at USCIS
08/24/2011-------Biometrics Appointment
09/06/2011-------Notice of Interview! (via text)
09/15/2011-------EAD Approved Notification via text
10/06/2011-------Adjustment of Status Interview - APPROVED!!!

11/08/2011-------Green Card Received!!

07/09/2013-------Lifting Conditions Filed

07/12/2013-------NOA received

10/01/2013-------Approval Date

10/15/2013-------Ten Year Green Card Received! Finally!

Timeline
So this is an older thread, but I feel like commenting on it anyway!

We got Packet 3 and mailed off the 230 form the next day. They should have gotten it by now. We are just waiting for them to email/mail that form to us about the NZ Police check authorization. As soon as we get that, gonna fill that out and mail that right away. Also, going to mail Packet 3 paperwork and "Ready for Interview" checklist to them the same day.

The Aus and NZ Police checks go straight to the Consulate, and he's got the medical report with him. I gave him the I-134 and all the paperwork for that, too... so we're only waiting on that NZ Police form!

It's okay to mail the "Ready for Interview" form back to them if we don't have the Police reports in hand, right? We were told that they HAD to be mailed to the Consulate directly, so we weren't given the option! I figure if we mail the checklist back and just write "Mailed from Police to Consulate" in those areas, we'll be okay. Right? (I hope!)

Hopefully we get that NZ form today, so all the paperwork will go back tomorrow! How long is it generally taking now from mailing the Packet 3 paperwork back to them til the actual interview? Has anyone done this recently?

I'm so excited! Checking email every 5 minutes today with the hope of a Police form in there!

Thanks for the update :D

Usually after you send P3 it will take a week (sometimes less) to get the interview date. Then the interview will be around 3 weeks from when you get the interview letter.

I would think that writing what you proposed for the police certificates would be fine. If the certificates aren't there at the time of the scheduled interview they will he should still be interviewed and will just need to wait until the certificates arrive till they'll forward his visa... well I'm pretty sure that's how I read it works.

YAY! Getting closer and closer now :D

I know! I am beyond excited! It's so surreal! I haven't received the NZ Police form yet today... but the day's not over yet, right? I'm being hopeful!

And I keep bugging him to have all the stuff ready to go and packed up... I think I'm driving him crazy.

Spoiler

07/20/2011-------I-485 and I-765 Sent
07/26/2011-------NOA1 received via email
08/05/2011-------RFE Notification via email and text
08/11/2011-------RFE Hardcopy in mail
08/12/2011-------RFE Sent back
08/15/2011-------RFE Received at USCIS
08/24/2011-------Biometrics Appointment
09/06/2011-------Notice of Interview! (via text)
09/15/2011-------EAD Approved Notification via text
10/06/2011-------Adjustment of Status Interview - APPROVED!!!

11/08/2011-------Green Card Received!!

07/09/2013-------Lifting Conditions Filed

07/12/2013-------NOA received

10/01/2013-------Approval Date

10/15/2013-------Ten Year Green Card Received! Finally!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.