VanessaTony

Australian Beneficiaries - Packet 3 to Interview date

1,038 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Hi everyone- quick question...

when can i go get my medical done? Do i have to wait for sydney to receive my application? and for my packet 3?

i have my case number-its at the NVC right now...should be sent soon FINGERS CROSSED...the lady gave us the case number yesterday....

so can i go for it now? I just want everything to be done so as soon as packet 3 arrives i can get things going quickly...i have my police records...just need medical :)

tah xxx kiria

Yep! You have your case number so go ahead and do your medical! Some places don't need it but you're covered either way :D

Timeline
another question-

with the police reports- am i sending originals or scanned copies?

or am i just being silly- and i only have to take them into the interview?

hmm confused

x :help:

Here's the P3 info that you'll be sent: http://canberra.usembassy.gov/fiance_niv_appl.html (they just tell you to go to this page)

Here's the checklist of stuff for P3 that you need to send back: http://photos.state.gov/libraries/australia/39176/pdf/dsl-1076.pdf you can see they want the original AND a photocopy. At the interview they'll return the original/s.

...BUT word of advice, scan EVERYTHING. You'll need the NOA2 (K1 visa petition approval) when it comes to AOS (a copy is fine) and you'd be surprised how many people lose it and don't have a copy anywhere. Also, don't forget that when you do get P3 the first thing they'll ask for is DS-230 to be sent IMMEDIATELY but if you have the rest of P3 ready you can send it all at the same time. :)

p.s. Your A number (alien number) is on the NOA2 above your name on the NOA2. You'll need to know that for AOS too :)

We got our P4 and interview date!!!! June 14th. On the checklist it states:

FORM DS-156: Download Form DS-156 OR see attached instructions if by mail. **completed incorrectly you should have completed this online and obtained a 3rd page with a barcode.

Any clarification on what this means?

Filed for K1 August 2010

NoA1 received August 26

NoA2 text and email Feb 1 2011 :)

Packet 3 sent May 24

Packet 4 received June 2

Interview on June 14- APPROVED!!!

AU505-AustralianandUSApin_g.gif

event.png

Timeline
We got our P4 and interview date!!!! June 14th. On the checklist it states:

FORM DS-156: Download Form DS-156 OR see attached instructions if by mail. **completed incorrectly you should have completed this online and obtained a 3rd page with a barcode.

Any clarification on what this means?

Yep. You must have not included all the pages. When you do the DS-156 online it prints a page with a barcode. You must have forgotten to include that. Just do the form online again and print it again and take EVERYTHING that prints to the interview. Don't stress too bad though because when i did my interview someone there forgot a form and there was a computer they could use to do the form (doesn't mean DON'T do the form, just know if you stuff it up it's not the end of the world :D).

There were other things to bring though right? Like passport, visa fee receipt and the envelope thingy...

Congrats!!

Edited by Vanessa&Tony

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

Here's the P3 info that you'll be sent: http://canberra.usembassy.gov/fiance_niv_appl.html (they just tell you to go to this page)

Here's the checklist of stuff for P3 that you need to send back: http://photos.state.gov/libraries/australia/39176/pdf/dsl-1076.pdf you can see they want the original AND a photocopy. At the interview they'll return the original/s.

...BUT word of advice, scan EVERYTHING. You'll need the NOA2 (K1 visa petition approval) when it comes to AOS (a copy is fine) and you'd be surprised how many people lose it and don't have a copy anywhere. Also, don't forget that when you do get P3 the first thing they'll ask for is DS-230 to be sent IMMEDIATELY but if you have the rest of P3 ready you can send it all at the same time. :)

p.s. Your A number (alien number) is on the NOA2 above your name on the NOA2. You'll need to know that for AOS too :)

thankyou sooo much for your help!!!! Medical is booked for monday....and rang the NVC and they posted my application TODAY!!!! sooo exciting... oh and 1 last question lol! should i glue my passport photos to the form with the photo space? or just put my 2 photos in the package?

hopefully everything starts going quickly now!....i miss my man tooo much!

Oh...when i know that the sydney consulate has my application...do i have to wait for them to send me my package 3? or can i just send all of my stuff??? If i have everything ready? xx thanks again :thumbs:

Timeline
thankyou sooo much for your help!!!! Medical is booked for monday....and rang the NVC and they posted my application TODAY!!!! sooo exciting... oh and 1 last question lol! should i glue my passport photos to the form with the photo space? or just put my 2 photos in the package?

hopefully everything starts going quickly now!....i miss my man tooo much!

Oh...when i know that the sydney consulate has my application...do i have to wait for them to send me my package 3? or can i just send all of my stuff??? If i have everything ready? xx thanks again :thumbs:

Oooo that's good to read! It shouldn't take too long to get P3 once the consulate gets it. Your medical might take a week to mail to you so I bet they're not that far apart. Wait for them to email you P3 but you can still have everything ready, confirm that they haven't changed anything on their list and mail it right back to them!

I think I put the photos in a sandwich bag and attached them like that. They're supposed to have your name on the back of them so they'll know they're you.

Time for predictions... It takes about 7-10 business days for mail from the US to Aus if mailed normally (maybe they express it I don't know) so you're looking to get P3 in about a week I think. Then you'll return your paperwork for P3 and the interview email will come in about a week, then booked 3 weeks so you might have your visa in about 6 weeks. Sounds like a while but it'll FLY!

Edited by Vanessa&Tony

Yep. You must have not included all the pages. When you do the DS-156 online it prints a page with a barcode. You must have forgotten to include that. Just do the form online again and print it again and take EVERYTHING that prints to the interview. Don't stress too bad though because when i did my interview someone there forgot a form and there was a computer they could use to do the form (doesn't mean DON'T do the form, just know if you stuff it up it's not the end of the world :D).

There were other things to bring though right? Like passport, visa fee receipt and the envelope thingy...

Congrats!!

Yep, turns out our lawyer got confused and didn't fill it out online to get the barcode. She has re-done it correctly and sent it to me. The thing that bugs me is that the original DS-156 she filled out for us was a 2010 form, while the online form with the barcode from http://evisaforms.state.gov is a 2008 form. I don't understand why they would want an obsolete form, but I hope it's okay anyway.

Filed for K1 August 2010

NoA1 received August 26

Packet 3 sent May 24

Packet 4 received June 2

event.png

Yep, turns out our lawyer got confused and didn't fill it out online to get the barcode. She has re-done it correctly and sent it to me. The thing that bugs me is that the original DS-156 she filled out for us was a 2010 form, while the online form with the barcode from http://evisaforms.state.gov is a 2008 form. I don't understand why they would want an obsolete form, but I hope it's okay anyway.

Never mind, my mistake. It just looked like it was a 2010 form as the lawyer had datemarked it 02/2010 on the bottom of the first page in the same font used on the form. Geez.

Still, though, the DS-156 they have available from the State Dept site says it expired on 5/31/2011, so I've emailed the Consulate to ask if that's going to be acceptable.

Also V&T, to answer your other question-- yeah, our Pkt 4 checklist had all the other normal stuff as well. I was just posting (or rather, Laura posted-- we both use this account) the DS-156 thing because it was the only abnormality on the checklist to us.

Thanks!

Filed for K1 August 2010

NoA1 received August 26

Packet 3 sent May 24

Packet 4 received June 2

event.png

Timeline

YAY got my medical done...and by looking at the DHL tracking sydney consulate should have received it today!! whoop whoop...does this mean i will have a packet 3 soon???? how long does it usually take till you get it once they receive the application?

Also...i have all my packet 3 stuff together....just wondering though...i know it says 'send original and photocopy' will they return my original items at the interview?....this means i put my medical, birth certificate, police record, affidavit of support all in the mail?????

Also....i know they send you out a packet 4 with an interview date....however I really need to get back to the USA asap for work- People are holding a job for me...is there anyway of emailing them and asking for a sooner interview? Do they do this?

thanks heaps :) xxxx KIRIA :dance:

Timeline

YAY got my medical done...and by looking at the DHL tracking sydney consulate should have received it today!! whoop whoop...does this mean i will have a packet 3 soon???? how long does it usually take till you get it once they receive the application?

Also...i have all my packet 3 stuff together....just wondering though...i know it says 'send original and photocopy' will they return my original items at the interview?....this means i put my medical, birth certificate, police record, affidavit of support all in the mail?????

Also....i know they send you out a packet 4 with an interview date....however I really need to get back to the USA asap for work- People are holding a job for me...is there anyway of emailing them and asking for a sooner interview? Do they do this?

thanks heaps :) xxxx KIRIA :dance:

They'll return your original police check and birth cert but not medical. You should ask at the interview if they'll give you a copy of the medical but your doc should have given you a copy of the immunisations at least.

On the job front... you know you can't work on a K1 right? You have to get married and file for AOS (and EAD and AP together) and you should get your EAD (work permit) 2 months after you file for AOS so you could be waiting a while...

You can TRY and ask for an earlier interview.. maybe by attaching a letter when you send P3 asking for an interview ASAP and why BUT as a K1 can't work for a while anyway, and as each person filing is missing their loved one lots of people would love a quicker interview (myself included) I doubt they'll do it (I did see someone booked a week after they mailed P3 but that was just how they booked it... she didn't ask for an earlier one) but it certainly can't hurt to try.

Edited by Vanessa&Tony

His interview is today!! Luckily after all the chaos with flights from Melbourne to Sydney, it appears he has made it there. Now to wait a few hours to hear about the interview. So exciting! Wishing him luck! :dance:

Filed for K1 August 2010

NoA1 received August 26

Packet 3 sent May 24

Packet 4 received June 2

event.png

His interview is today!! Luckily after all the chaos with flights from Melbourne to Sydney, it appears he has made it there. Now to wait a few hours to hear about the interview. So exciting! Wishing him luck! :dance:

Update: VISA APPROVED!!!!! :dance::star::dance:

Filed for K1 August 2010

NoA1 received August 26

Packet 3 sent May 24

Packet 4 received June 2

event.png

Timeline
Update: VISA APPROVED!!!!! :dance::star::dance:

Congrats!! :D Fabulous news :D

• 2 months later...
Timeline

hey guys, just wanna say that over the past couple of days i have read through many many pages and i thank u Vanessa for the in depth detail. I too am one of the ones who have been ill informed and thus leaves me in my current situation. That being that we submitted the I-129F form Feb 22, 2011 and we received the NOA1 25th Feb, 2011, its now the 21st of August and i have had no word of approval!! Im very nervous at the moment because i have booked my flight back in feb for Oct 5th. Based on what i have read from all of your past experiences, it seems as though the process from NOA2 to receiving my Visa may take anywhere between 1-3 months. I really dont know what is happening and or why it is taking so long!

But based on what i have read and the information that you guys have given here, i am booking my medical and police check tomorrow so that they are done by the time i receive my NOA2. I have also got my fiance to start on the I-134 form and supporting documents cos she will need to send them over from Texas. I once again thank u guys cos if it wasnt for this thread i would have been doing all of this once i received the packet which would have prolonged the process 10 fold.

I guess all i can do now is wait?

Timeline

hey guys, just wanna say that over the past couple of days i have read through many many pages and i thank u Vanessa for the in depth detail. I too am one of the ones who have been ill informed and thus leaves me in my current situation. That being that we submitted the I-129F form Feb 22, 2011 and we received the NOA1 25th Feb, 2011, its now the 21st of August and i have had no word of approval!! Im very nervous at the moment because i have booked my flight back in feb for Oct 5th. Based on what i have read from all of your past experiences, it seems as though the process from NOA2 to receiving my Visa may take anywhere between 1-3 months. I really dont know what is happening and or why it is taking so long!

But based on what i have read and the information that you guys have given here, i am booking my medical and police check tomorrow so that they are done by the time i receive my NOA2. I have also got my fiance to start on the I-134 form and supporting documents cos she will need to send them over from Texas. I once again thank u guys cos if it wasnt for this thread i would have been doing all of this once i received the packet which would have prolonged the process 10 fold.

I guess all i can do now is wait?

Gday mate...

Maybe you should try contacting the congressman/senator from where your fiancee is... they help speed things up.. the USCIS has to respond within 48 hours i think it is to their emails.. once you get your NOA2 your gonna be waiting for around 10-14 days for that to pass through the visa centre then get forwarded to the embassy in syd... then another week to u get your p3 probably.. so yes get your partner to get that I-134 over as quick as possible... and get the police check done as that can take up to a month, (did in qld)... our visa process took a looooonnnng time.. took like 6 months and 1 week or so to hear anything and i think we only heard something cos we got the congressman/senator involved.. probably wasnt a good idea to book your flights... can you change them at all? because i dont think your gonna have it all done by then sorry mate... but yeh defenitely contact the congressman/senator and get them involved.. all your partner has to do is go on their website, fill in a form and then fax it or send it to them and they will find out for u and hurry things up.... good luck!! i know the wait is painful and would be worse knowing you have flights booked!

event.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.