JonasMichaels

Biggest F*&C!K* UP EVER in history of VISA JOURNEY. HELP.

36 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

WOW. Did we screw up - BIG TIME. Please, no harassment...we already want to hang ourselves - just help, if possible!

Finally Phuong got the pink in HCMC. She got here to the U.S., and as soon as she touched down, her mom got deathly ill. In a panic, I sent her back to VN without checking the rules about that... now, they won't let her back to the U.S.

Someone tell me that our stupid not reading or thinking of rules can be fixed - or are we screwed?? I can't believe we did this... is there any way to explain we were just hyper, excited, confused and didn't realize she couldn't come right back to me? (we didn't marry yet - she was only in the states a few days!!!! and we are still within the 3 month period...HELP!!!!!!!!!!)

HELP. I think we may have ruined our lives.

Jonas

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline
WOW. Did we screw up - BIG TIME. Please, no harassment...we already want to hang ourselves - just help, if possible!

Finally Phuong got the pink in HCMC. She got here to the U.S., and as soon as she touched down, her mom got deathly ill. In a panic, I sent her back to VN without checking the rules about that... now, they won't let her back to the U.S.

Someone tell me that our stupid not reading or thinking of rules can be fixed - or are we screwed?? I can't believe we did this... is there any way to explain we were just hyper, excited, confused and didn't realize she couldn't come right back to me? (we didn't marry yet - she was only in the states a few days!!!! and we are still within the 3 month period...HELP!!!!!!!!!!)

HELP. I think we may have ruined our lives.

Jonas

Someone else can chime in, but I think you're screwed. I'm pretty sure K-1 is a single entry visa, and you didn't file for advance parole. I think you have to start over.

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : Bangkok, Thailand

Marriage : 2006-11-08

I-130 Sent : 2008-02-22

I-130 NOA1 : 2008-03-10

I-129F Sent : 2008-04-08

I-129F NOA1 : 2008-04-14

I-129F touched: 2008-05-06

I-130 touched: 2008-05-09

I-129F approved 2008-09-05

I-130 approved 2008-09-05

NVC received 2008-09-12

Pay I-864 2008-10-08

Pay IV bill 2008-10-08

Receive Instruction 2008-11-05

Case Complete 2008-11-18

Medical 2009-01-19/20 passed

Receive Pkt 4 2009-01-30

Interview 221g 2009-02-23

Second interview 2009-03-02 Approved

POE DFW 2009-03-07

Received SS card 2009-03-17

Received GC 2009-04-01

Done for 3 years or 10 years. Haven't decided yet.

(I'm going for the IR-1 and blowing off the K-3. Even if it takes an extra couple months, it's worth it to not have to deal with USCIS again)

"Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, the wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

Note:

Please fill out I-130, wait 6 months for approval, then 3 more months for an interview. (Unless of course we've bombed your country into the stone age, then you qualify for expedited processing.)

Welcome to the USA!!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

First of all, calm down.

Second, you have voided your K1. It's a one entry visa. If you need to leave the country for an emergency such as this, you are supposed to try to get an expedited AP for the purpose BEFORE leaving.

Will you be able to re-enter now? Most likely not. You can try to petition but from my understanding it won't do much good.

Meaning, you'll need to file a new K1 all over again. The current snafu won't prejudice a future filing. It's easy to see you made a reasonable decision to send her home given the family emergency. You'll probably have another 6 months or so apart, but your lives are not over by any means.

Believe me, we see much sadder stories of forcible separation than this on VJ.

Good luck!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

you need to go get in contact with HCMC and plead your case... the consulate has the ability to re-validate the visa for another entry under certain circumstances... but it is totally at there discretion and they do not have to do this..... if they do this, the original 90 day clock from the original entry will be what is used to for the marriage deadline....

First of all, calm down.

Second, you have voided your K1. It's a one entry visa. If you need to leave the country for an emergency such as this, you are supposed to try to get an expedited AP for the purpose BEFORE leaving.

Will you be able to re-enter now? Most likely not. You can try to petition but from my understanding it won't do much good.

Meaning, you'll need to file a new K1 all over again. The current snafu won't prejudice a future filing. It's easy to see you made a reasonable decision to send her home given the family emergency. You'll probably have another 6 months or so apart, but your lives are not over by any means.

Believe me, we see much sadder stories of forcible separation than this on VJ.

Good luck!

please, there is a possible work around that he needs to exhaust first... no need to doomsday him yet

YMMV

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

I second Krikit and payxibka. Contact the embassy and explain the situation. If it turns out that they won't revalidate it, do as uscandual has suggested and petition for another K-1 visa. Your lives are certainly not over! I can empathize with your disappointment, but by no means is this a worst case scenario. If it's any consulation, my fiancée and myself have been living apart for over three years. You're looking at just a matter of months.

Now would be a good time (good as any) to update your timeline :time: This would be useful to others so they may give you advice.

As stated by several - get in touch with one of your senators (skip the representatives on this one) get them up to speed on what has happened and the timeline.

You'll be better off if you've got entry stamps/I-94, exit arrangements (plane itinerary etc) and any evidence you can get on the mother's illness (hospital, doctors etc). This will give them ammunition to plead your case.

What was the timeline?

• When was the visa issued?
  • When did she enter the US?
  • When did she leave?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

As much detail and info as possible about the mother's illness and get a real live person at HCMC to make your case.

This should be a situation where common sense would prevail.

Best of luck.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
As much detail and info as possible about the mother's illness and get a real live person at HCMC to make your case.

Best of luck.

I hope your posting is in good faith. Seems impossible one could go through the process and not realize the K-1 is a single entry visa.

At any rate, in addition to comtacting the consultae as suggested, we had been told by the local office that they could issue emergency APs for situations like this. It was something I checked on when Alla arrived as her mother is not in the best of health and a similar thing could have happened to us. I was told that in such a situation to come in, apply for an AP and GO!!!!!!! If necessary they would send the AP to the appropriate consulate for her to pick up. However it assumes you have copies or the original of her I-94 and documentation of the emergency. No sure it would or could work, but an infopass is free and why not check it out as you pursue other options?

Best of luck.

I hope your posting is in good faith. Seems impossible one could go through the process and not realize the K-1 is a single entry visa.

At any rate, in addition to comtacting the consultae as suggested, we had been told by the local office that they could issue emergency APs for situations like this. It was something I checked on when Alla arrived as her mother is not in the best of health and a similar thing could have happened to us. I was told that in such a situation to come in, apply for an AP and GO!!!!!!! If necessary they would send the AP to the appropriate consulate for her to pick up. However it assumes you have copies or the original of her I-94 and documentation of the emergency. No sure it would or could work, but an infopass is free and why not check it out as you pursue other options?

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: Timeline

The AP pertains to adjusting status. An AP isn't issued until the AOS has been submitted and received. Since the beneficiary and petitioner did not marry prior to her departure, an AOS wouldn't be applicable in this case. I believe that the jurisdiction for the visa is still in the hands of the Consulate..... not USCIS. These are just my thoughts, however, but I have not yet heard of an AP being granted under other circumstances.

iagree.gif

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Peru
Timeline

I am in agreement with most. Contact the embassy and explain what happened. If there is any proof your fiancee has of her mother's illness this would definetely be required. I hope that they have compassion for your situation & I totally understand why you didn't read the rules - no matter what family is #1 so would it have mattered anyway?

Good luck, I wish you the best and I'm sure you guys will figure out a way to work it out :)

Also, I'm sorry about your mother-in-law.

205656_848198845714_16320940_41282447_7410167_n-1.jpg

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Please check the criteria for the issuance of AP. AP is an interim benefit between the filing of the I-485 and issuance of greencard... It would not have been available to the OP.

Edited by payxibka

YMMV

The consulate can revalidate the K-1 with the following conditions:

1. You have not yet married.

2. It has been less than 90 days since initial entry.

3. The 90 days to get married is counted from the first entry (it does not start again with the new entry)

4. The new I-94 will only reflect the balance of the original 90 days.

Revalidation is at the discretion of the consulate and is not guaranteed. If there is enough time left, pursue this immediately--the clock is still ticking.

05/16/2005 I-129F Sent

05/28/2005 I-129F NOA1

06/21/2005 I-129F NOA2

07/18/2005 Consulate Received package from NVC

11/09/2005 Medical

11/16/2005 Interview APPROVED

12/05/2005 Visa received

12/07/2005 POE Minneapolis

12/17/2005 Wedding

12/20/2005 Applied for SSN

01/14/2005 SSN received in the mail

02/03/2006 AOS sent (Did not apply for EAD or AP)

02/09/2006 NOA

02/16/2006 Case status Online

05/01/2006 Biometrics Appt.

07/12/2006 AOS Interview APPROVED

07/24/2006 GC arrived

05/02/2007 Driver's License - Passed Road Test!

05/27/2008 Lifting of Conditions sent (TSC > VSC)

06/03/2008 Check Cleared

07/08/2008 INFOPASS (I-551 stamp)

07/08/2008 Driver's License renewed

04/20/2009 Lifting of Conditions approved

04/28/2009 Card received in the mail

Perhaps a copy of the death certificate would help her case as well. I would like to think the US Consulate in HCM would be sympathetic towards an event like that.

Aug 21/04 - Met at ethnic community bbq/field day (Seattle)

Aug 26/04 - First date (Vancouver)

Nov 24-29/04 - Met his mother & her side of family (Philadelphia)

June 15/05 - He moves to Seattle

Aug 19/07 - Our engagement & engagement party (Vancouver)

Aug 23/08 - WEDDING

Nov 23/08 - Petition for I-130 & I-129f

Feb 12/09 - both petitions approved

Feb 20/09 - K3 package received

April 27/09 - Medical exam (Vancouver)

May 28/09 - K3 Interview (Vancouver)

May 29/09 - pick up approved visa!

June 21/09 - POE @ Pac Hwy, arrived to our apt in Seattle

June 22/09 - apply for AOS & EAD

July 6/09 - AOS & EAD received by USCIS, being processed

July 13/09 - Biometrics letter received

Aug 3/09 - Biometrics appointment

Aug 19/09 - AOS interview appointment letter received

Aug 24/09 - EAD received

Aug 8/09 - SSN received

Sept 17/09 - AOS interview - PASSED!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.