Hoang_Phuong

Just Met My Fiance,,

51 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Hello guys, new to the forum.. I met my fiance, wife by heart, on February 5th, and we started dating on the 8th. March 30th she flew to Austin Texas to see me and we had a wonderful time for 3 weeks. We decided it would be best that we marry so we can start our life together here in Austin. So my question is, We've only been together for 3 months and 2 days, is it possible that that our application will be denied because we've only been together for 3 months? I'm planning on flying over to Australia to meet her again in a few months for more evidence. We are going to do our best for her to come to the US with me and start our life together. I wish it was this easy, After reading a few posts, I'm starting to get iffy about this happening, but i'm thinking positive that it is going to.

any help would be appreciated,,

Thanks!

-Tomi

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

you are fine, for initial filing, you will just need proof that you have met within 2 years before filing (boarding passes, receipts, passport VISA stamps). after you file, you can start making more trips to see her and take alot of pictures.

UpdatedTimeline.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
is it possible that that our application will be denied because we've only been together for 3 months?
Not at the USCIS level (petition) as long as you can prove that you met in person within the last two years, but yes at the embassy/consular level (visa application). "Engagements or marriages soon after meeting" may be viewed askance by some consular officers.
I'm planning on flying over to Australia to meet her again in a few months for more evidence.
Excellent idea. Multiple visits and time together in various circumstances can work on your behalf to satisfy your embassy at interview time, and also ensure (for your own sakes) that the two of you are indeed committed enough to know that you will abide this often-infernal process. Edited by TBoneTX

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Timeline

Thanks guys,, We are going to go by the rules in the book. Get married within the 90 days of the K1 visa (Lets hope it will go smooth). I'm also going to be hiring a lawyer who can help me throughout the process. Make sure I don't make any mistakes. I'd rather pay the money for someone who is experienced and save time, than trying to figure this out myself. We want her over here ASAP. I know it'll be a long and "infernal" process. but we are both commited to doing so.

Timeline

Oh one other thing, I had a business and solt in the middle of last year, so half the year I didn't make much because of income loss. The exact time, I aquired a job at our local Fox TV station and only made $8500. Is it 100% neccessary to show proof that I made atleast $18k that year? Now I am working with my parents, and they are paying me every 2 weeks cash because we both run the store. Pretty much I'm getting a small part of the income and it equals around $25K a year. Is there a way my dad can do something to show proff that I'm getting paid and able to support my future wife?

-Tomi

Timeline

To determine whether there is anything in your pasts (plural) that could prove troublesome, absolutely consult a qualified immigration attorney. If, afterwards, there appear to be no problems, it is possible for you to complete the process yourself, without the usual delay and the definite expense of an attorney's help. If you are poor with details, following instructions, or generally reading accurately and interpreting literally, then outside assistance may prove desirable. I am one of many VJ members who will suggest in the strongest possible terms that you read the guides, in the links atop the forums.

Oh one other thing [...]
Again: please read the guides.

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Timeline

yes I read through the guidlines briefly. There's so much information but then there are only a few questions that I needed help on. And my questions are answered. I'm still browsing around and reading through.

Thanks for the help

Timeline
yes I read through the guidlines briefly. There's so much information but then there are only a few questions that I needed help on. And my questions are answered. I'm still browsing around and reading through.
To me, at least, your response is not persuasive. Nevertheless, and especially if this is how you intend to approach the process, good luck. Edited by TBoneTX

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
Hello guys, new to the forum.. I met my fiance, wife by heart, on February 5th, and we started dating on the 8th. March 30th she flew to Austin Texas to see me and we had a wonderful time for 3 weeks. We decided it would be best that we marry so we can start our life together here in Austin. So my question is, We've only been together for 3 months and 2 days, is it possible that that our application will be denied because we've only been together for 3 months? I'm planning on flying over to Australia to meet her again in a few months for more evidence. We are going to do our best for her to come to the US with me and start our life together. I wish it was this easy, After reading a few posts, I'm starting to get iffy about this happening, but i'm thinking positive that it is going to.

any help would be appreciated,,

Thanks!

-Tomi

Your petition will not be denied because you met her 3 months and two days ago. It would not be denied if you met her 3 hours and two minutes ago. This item of information can sometimes affect a visa interview in in some countries, but not usually from Austrailia. No worries, Mate.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

read, study and ask, in most cases forget the lawyer

TIMELINE

04/04/2007 K1 Interview from H...w/the devil herself

06/12/2007 Rec'd Notification Case Now Back In Calif. only to expire

-------------

11/20/2007 Married in Morocco

02/23/2008 Mailed CR1 application today

03/08/2008 NOA1 Notice Recd (notice date 3/4/08)

08/26/2008 File transfered fr Vermont to Calif

10/14/2008 APPROVALLLLLLLLLLLL

10/20/2008 Recd hard copy NOA2

10/20/2008 NVC Recd case

11/21/2008 CASE COMPLETE

01/15/2009 INTERVIEW

01/16/2009 VISA IN HAND

01/31/2009 ARRIVED OKC

BE WHO YOU ARE AND SAY WHAT YOU FEEL, BECAUSE THOSE WHO MIND DONT MATTER AND THOSE WHO MATTER DONT MIND

YOU CANT CHANGE THE PAST BUT YOU CAN RUIN THE PRESENT BY WORRYING OVER THE FUTURE

TRIP.... OVER LOVE, AND YOU CAN GET UP

FALL.... IN LOVE, AND YOU FALL FOREVER

I DO HAVE THE RIGHT TO REMAIN SILENT, JUST NOT THE ABILITY

LIKE THE MEASLES, LOVE IS MOST DANGEROUS WHEN IT COMES LATER IN LIFE

LIFE IS NOT THE WAY ITS SUPPOSED TO BE, ITS THE WAY IT IS

I MAY NOT BE WHERE I WANT TO BE BUT IM SURE NOT WHERE I WAS

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Agreed with others about the lawyer. The worst reason in the world to hire a lawyer is because you don't want to figure it out yourself. If a doctor told you that you have a potentially deadly disease, would you say "I'll leave it in your hands, doc. I can't be bothered learning about this disease that might KILL me!". :whistle:

Some lawyers have extensive experience with a particular consulate or embassy, and they might be able to spot red flags in your case that you would not be able to find without the same experience. They can be very useful in cases like this, but they will also likely slow your case down because you're going to have to wait for them each time you need their services. This is especially true if you're going to let the lawyer or his staff handle your paperwork for you.

A lawyer with experience at your consulate or embassy can also be very helpful preparing your fiancee for the interview.

If you hire a lawyer, be prepared to be very actively involved in your case, either double checking everything they do, or letting them double check everything you do. I've had to hire lawyers at least half a dozen times in my life, and it's only worked out well when I spent at least 4X as much time on my case as the lawyer did, and reserved the right to approve every major decision. The one time I let the lawyer handle everything I got reamed.

Also, if any lawyer tells you "Just let me do my job", then RUN - don't walk! It's YOUR future that's on the line, and not theirs. They should want you to be involved and keep you informed.

BTW, I AM working with a lawyer, and it IS slowing the process down for me. I was ready to file my petition last month, but I've been working with the lawyer to help make my petition bullet proof. This takes time because I'm not his only client, but I was willing to accept the additional delays when I decided I wanted professional help.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Of course, all attorneys differ... but I know someone using an attorney. The attorney won't file ANYTHING until they have every single thing together that they'll need for almost the entire process. The biggest delay for them is in getting new birth certificates and passports for the beneficiary. It takes a while, as do many things in Jamaica.

Meanwhile, I'm wondering: Why does the attorney need his passport before filing the I-129F??? He doesn't need the passport until the interview stage. The attorney could've at least filed the first part a LONG time ago, while he worked on the passport.

Just my [second-hand] experience with an attorney.

November 19, 2007 - Met

November 25, 2008 - Engaged

November 25, 2009 - Married

November 24, 2011 - Baby due!

Daily earning Amazon gift cards by searching the web with SwagBucks!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline

I agree with the lawyer thing...sometimes getting one can make your process longer and more painful. I would do this on your own as it is not hard to fill out the paperwork, and the rest is waiting. People here can help alot, and you can get help on filling out the forums in the guides section.

vj2.jpgvj.jpg

"VJ Timelines are only an estimate, they are not actual approval dates! They only reflect VJ members. VJ Timelines do not include the thousands of applicants who do not use VJ"

IF YOU ARE NEW TO THE SITE, PLEASE READ THE GUIDES BEFORE ASKING ALOT OF QUESTIONS. THE GUIDES ARE VERY HELPFUL AND WILL SAVE YOU ALOT OF TIME!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Zambia
Timeline

Unless there are problems in your past that must be explained, a lawyer will be of almost no help in your petition. A paralegal will actually do the "work" to complete the forms (but you'll provide all the detailed information) and it will take longer than if you did it yourself. The paperwork for the petition is quite straight-forward and there are no short cuts -- every detail is important. But if your attitude is casual, as it seems to be, you'll need to have a lawyer just to force your attention on the details.

As to sponsorship, your taxable income is a major factor in evaluating your ability to support the two of you. Bank statements and records are another factor. Being paid in cash is certainly legal, but if taxes and social security are not withheld, and the business doesn't file the monthly/quarterly form 941s with the IRS to pay the government, then it's called tax evasion. If you are partners with your parents, and take a share of the profits, there are still reports to be filed and you must remit 12.5% of your earnings to Social Security. Be sure of your standing with the IRS before beginning all of this.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.