quirky

Security Clearance job

28 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
If the USC spouse has a security Clearance job, do you all think that the process will be faster? Do the service centers and stuff

that process the visas know about the spouses security clearance?

if it was any way I would believe it could be slower....

YMMV

If your security clearance job is hazardous to your health - in the way that active military might be- Then you can apply for an expedite. There is a standard process for this.

[Edit: Read a little more closely]

I'm not sure if a security clearance will make your wait longer or help ensure that you don't get stuck in security checks (having been through them already). Either way, good luck on your visa journey!

Edited by Nik+Heather

K-1:

January 28, 2009: NOA1

June 4, 2009: Interview - APPROVED!!!

October 11, 2009: Wedding

AOS:

December 23, 2009: NOA1!

January 22, 2010: Bogus RFE corrected through congressional inquiry "EAD waiting on biometrics only" Read about it here.

March 15, 2010: AOS interview - RFE for I-693 vaccination supplement - CS signed part 6!

March 27, 2010: Green Card recieved

ROC:

March 1, 2012: Mailed ROC package

March 7, 2012: Tracking says "notice left"...after a phone call to post office.

More detailed time line in profile.

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
If your security clearance job is hazardous to your health - in the way that active military might be- Then you can apply for an expedite. There is a standard process for this.

I'm not sure if a security clearance will make your wait longer or help ensure that you don't get stuck in security checks (having been through them already). Either way, good luck on your visa journey!

Sometimes a high level security clearance will prompt a more complete detailed vetting that adds time to the petition approval process. Usually it makes no difference but I've never seen anything to indicate it speeds the process in any way.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline
If the USC spouse has a security Clearance job, do you all think that the process will be faster? Do the service centers and stuff

if it was any way I would believe it could be slower....

Can you explain why? I have been wondering about this, too, as my fiancé works for a government agency.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

No and no. Unless there is a problem, name check etc., the security clearance goes very quickly. The majority of the time it takes is sitting in a stack waiting for an adjuicator to get to it. The average "clean" K-1 takes less than 15 minutes to process. Yours may take 13 minutes.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

The Texas Service Center no longer handles K-1s. If you sent it there you will be waiting WAY longer than normal.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

i can't think of any reason why it would just based on a security clearance.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Timeline

The process is not faster. They might know depending on which databases your name is processed through.

Just remember to report the foreign contact immediately to your SFO. However, that should have been reported when you were debriefed from your trip overseas. Also when you have a change in status such as getting married you will need to report it to your SFO also.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline
Sometimes a high level security clearance will prompt a more complete detailed vetting that adds time to the petition approval process. Usually it makes no difference but I've never seen anything to indicate it speeds the process in any way.

I would not have expected the fact that the petitioner has already passed security checks for their job to speed up the process in any way, but I still wonder why some people here (and I've seen such statements in other threads) claim that it might slow it down. I can't imagine why, as the person in question would not be in their job if they hadn't passed security checks already.

Edited by Philosykos

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

I would not have expected the fact that the petitioner has already passed security checks for their job to speed up the process in any way, but I still wonder why some people here (and I've seen such statements in other threads) claim that it might slow it down. I can't imagine why, as the person in question would not be in their job if they hadn't passed security checks already.

The significant foreign contact and prospects of a foreign spouse sometimes prompt even more extensive vetting than that used to get the security clearance in the first place. This will vary with multiple factors not the least of which is the country from which the spouse or fiance(e) will be coming.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Afghanistan
Timeline

Thanks for this topic, I was wondering the same thing... I think there are too many factors (where your spouse is from, what kind of clearance you have, etc. etc.) that affect each person's case for there to be a definite answer... But I'll surely post anything if my case is faster or slower than the Afghan K1's that are waiting with me :)

Good luck, and definitely keep thinking positively.. I can't imagine a security clearance doing anything but helping validate our requests, so that's what really matters! Time is relative :)

--------------------

OMAR & HALEY'S K-1 PROCESS

11/11/2008 - FILED I-129F

11/18/2008 - NOA1 RECEIVED

03/11/2009 - RECEIVED NOA2 (approved!)

03/19/2009 - NVC RECEIVED CASE FILE

04/01/2009 - NVC SENT CASE TO ISL EMBASSY

04/06/2009 - ISL EMBASSY RECEIVED CASE FILE

********* - NEVER RECEIVED PACKET 3.5 FROM ISL (called / emailed, no luck)

********* - CREATED OUR OWN PACKET WITH ITEMS THE ISL EMBASSY TOLD US IN EMAIL THAT THEY NEEDED

06/10/2009 - SUBMITTED PACKET 3.5 TO AMEX IN ISLAMABAD

06/16/2009 - RECEIVED INTERVIEW LETTER THROUGH AMEX IN ISLAMABAD

07/20/2009 - INTERVIEW (approved!) AP

10/12/2009 - 3 MONTHS OF AP COMPLETE...

10/21/2009 - CALL TO SUBMIT PASSPORT!

11/04/2009 - U.S. EMBASSY, ISLAMABAD RECIEVED PASSPORT IN MAIL (NOW UNDER FINAL REVIEW)

11/16/2009 - U.S. EMBASSY, ISLAMABAD MAILED PASSPORT W/ VISA TO U.S. EMBASSY KABUL

11/22/2009 - CALL TO PICK UP PASSPORT!

12/01/2009 - FLYING TO U.S.!!!!!!!!!

12/02/2009 - HE'S HERE!!! <3 <3 <3

12/07/2009 - MARRIED IN COLORADO! <3

12/20/2010 - APPLIED FOR SOCIAL SECURITY CARD

04/09/2010 - RECEIVED WORK AUTHORIZATION CARD IN THE MAIL!

06/20/2010 - DID SECOND INTERVIEW

08/10/2010 - RECEIVED 2-YEAR GREEN CARD!!!!!!!!!

--------------------

Timeline

The significant foreign contact and prospects of a foreign spouse sometimes prompt even more extensive vetting than that used to get the security clearance in the first place. This will vary with multiple factors not the least of which is the country from which the spouse or fiance(e) will be coming.

They would not do extra checks at the USCIS stage period. If you have a clearance it assures you that you will not come back with any hits in the background check, and I would surmise that it may even happen quicker or it may actually cause the FBI to not run your name through all of the databases, since you have already been checked and cleared through the databases they are looking through, of course this would depend on the level of clearance you have.

What will happen, is as soon as you have foreign contact you are required to report it to your security office. The security office will go through a series of questions and depending on the answers will decide what, if anything they need to do. Best to keep them in the loop let them know when you file for the visa, and just keep the SFO apprised of the situation. It really is no big deal. They may do some checking of your spouse at that time, or they may just wait until the 5 year update for your clearance. Those factors are determined by the answers to the questions you give when telling them about your spouse.

Thanks for this topic, I was wondering the same thing... I think there are too many factors (where your spouse is from, what kind of clearance you have, etc. etc.) that affect each person's case for there to be a definite answer... But I'll surely post anything if my case is faster or slower than the Afghan K1's that are waiting with me :)

Good luck, and definitely keep thinking positively.. I can't imagine a security clearance doing anything but helping validate our requests, so that's what really matters! Time is relative :)

That was my feeling to, the government has already determined you to be a truthful and honest person, and having a clearance you are less likely to commit fraud (I did not say people would not, I just said less likely, that is the perception)

A security clearance will not expedite your case, nor will it be delayed, unless you are overseas. If you are overseas, trouble is just the beginning of your process.....

I hope you are state-side.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.