xelance

issues with having a fiancee from a latin american country??

75 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

Hey all, I am a first time poster here and just wanted to say thank you for all the information on this site, it is truly amazing. I am 25 years old, living in California and my girlfriend (soon to be fiancee)is living in Colombia. We started off by the internet and met in peru about two weeks ago and all went PERFECT! We really are in love with each other :) Anyways, I was wondering if there are any posters here that have got married with someone from Latin America and if they had received delays in the process because of extra background checks or whatever. My girlfriend is from Colombia so I am worried that they will really be hard on us throughout the whole process of her becoming my wife. I am also wondering how important the income part is of getting the visa because I have enough for the process, that is no problem, but for the adjusted gross on my tax return could be a problem. I have financial stability, and know I can provide for my girlfriend, but I only make about $15000 a year. I am a little worried that that is not enough to become a sponsor for her..if anyone has any more information for me, please let me know! Thank you so much, and sorry for the general questions, I am just getting started on the process and learning more and more everyday so I hope you all can bear with me hehe :thumbs:

Edited by apeters

7/2/10- NOA1

2/9/11- NOA2 (transferred to Texas)

NVC

2/28/11- case number received

3/2/11- Paid AOS bill

3/5/11- Paid IV bill

3/12/11- expedite to Bogota consulate approved!!!

3/14/11- left NVC to Bogota for further processing

3/17/11- received by Bogota, emailed consulate and was told to send DS-230 and DS-2100 (packet 3)

3/18/11- packet 3 emailed to Bogota consulate, email confirmation on March 23

3/31/11- Interview date! Approved!!!!!!

Keep the faith, everything works out for the very best

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Country: Brazil
Timeline
Hey all, I am a first time poster here and just wanted to say thank you for all the information on this site, it is truly amazing. I am 25 years old, living in California and my girlfriend (soon to be fiancee)is living in Colombia. We started off by the internet and met in peru about two weeks ago and all went PERFECT! We really are in love with each other :) Anyways, I was wondering if there are any posters here that have got married with someone from Latin America and if they had received delays in the process because of extra background checks or whatever. My girlfriend is from Colombia so I am worried that they will really be hard on us throughout the whole process of her becoming my wife. I am also wondering how important the income part is of getting the visa because I have enough for the process, that is no problem, but for the adjusted gross on my tax return could be a problem. I have financial stability, and know I can provide for my girlfriend, but I only make about $15000 a year. I am a little worried that that is not enough to become a sponsor for her..if anyone has any more information for me, please let me know! Thank you so much, and sorry for the general questions, I am just getting started on the process and learning more and more everyday so I hope you all can bear with me hehe :thumbs:

Look at the top of the VisaJourney screen.

Notice the 4th tab from the left called "Guides". Select this tab and start reading. There is lot's of information available and reading is a great way to begin the learning process.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

Welcome!

You will need to meet the poverty guidelines in order to be a sole sponsor; if you make less, you will need to get a co-sponsor.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Read the guides nd forum specific to Latin America/Columbia to get the info you need.

I see two red flags in your original post: income & meeting once and proposing soon after first face to face meet.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Timeline

income I can deal with...I can have my mom help to co sponsor, but marriage soon after first face to face? You think that will really pose an issue? You think I have to wait longer to start the process, or you think I need to go visit again?? She is from Colombia, thats a big issue...is not exactly the safest for us gringos haha. Any suggestions on that? We are trying to do this right away because well, we are in love...we talked for about 10 months before this first face to face and then spent 16 days together in peru, and now want to be together for good. We just want to go about it the right way...any help is appreciated

7/2/10- NOA1

NVC

3/2/11- Paid AOS bill

3/5/11- Paid IV bill

3/17/11- received by Bogota, emailed consulate and was told to send DS-230 and DS-2100 (packet 3)

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Zambia
Timeline

Your mom is a good co-sponsor. But you two are a long way off from being together forever. It is safer to wait for 2-3 months, go visit together again, and then become engaged. Don't be so afraid of Colombia. Meet her family and get lots of photos. Then file the petition for the visa, and wait another 6-8 months.

If you met on an online dating site, be aware that many young women from many countries including Colombia are doing what it takes to get a green card. That's one reason why a quickie engagement marriage possibly won't work -- it smells of fraud.

Good luck!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
income I can deal with...I can have my mom help to co sponsor, but marriage soon after first face to face? You think that will really pose an issue? You think I have to wait longer to start the process, or you think I need to go visit again?? She is from Colombia, thats a big issue...is not exactly the safest for us gringos haha. Any suggestions on that? We are trying to do this right away because well, we are in love...we talked for about 10 months before this first face to face and then spent 16 days together in peru, and now want to be together for good. We just want to go about it the right way...any help is appreciated

As long as you have a co-sponsor you should be fine. For meeting only once, there are tons of couples that do that - just make sure you have a lot of proof of relationship.

And don't worry about the fact that your fiance is from Colombia. The MENA girls go through worse!

11/2004 - Met in Brazil

09/2006 - Apply for K1

03/2007 - K1 approved

04/2007 - Apply for AOS & EAD

07/2007 - EAD approved

01/2008 - Conditional Residency approved

11/2009 - Apply to remove conditions

02/2010 - Permanent Residency approved

11/2010 - Apply for Citizenship

03/2011 - Citizenship approved

07/2011 - Moved back to Brazil

Timeline

Well thank you for your help, we actually did not meet on an online dating place...we met on a game called second life and built a relationship from there. If they even take this into consideration or even know what second life is, welll that beats me. I just really do not want to have to wait all this time and then be denied of it, that would be terrible..but we have all photos from the trip, itinerary, documents stating we were together, and you still think that is not sufficient?? Havent they ever heard of love at first sight? :angry: is a little hard to take vacations when you need to work everyday! So the majority of the people here think I need to go see her in Colombia or can I start filing this I 129F right away (of course with her needed documents)?

7/2/10- NOA1

NVC

3/2/11- Paid AOS bill

3/5/11- Paid IV bill

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
Well thank you for your help, we actually did not meet on an online dating place...we met on a game called second life and built a relationship from there. If they even take this into consideration or even know what second life is, welll that beats me. I just really do not want to have to wait all this time and then be denied of it, that would be terrible..but we have all photos from the trip, itinerary, documents stating we were together, and you still think that is not sufficient?? Havent they ever heard of love at first sight? :angry: is a little hard to take vacations when you need to work everyday! So the majority of the people here think I need to go see her in Colombia or can I start filing this I 129F right away (of course with her needed documents)?

Plenty of couples meet once in person and then apply for the K1, I don't know why your case would be any different, as long as you have proof. When did you meet for the first time (on-line)?

My hubby and I met in person and spent months together before we applied so I can't compare my case with yours.

11/2004 - Met in Brazil

09/2006 - Apply for K1

03/2007 - K1 approved

04/2007 - Apply for AOS & EAD

07/2007 - EAD approved

01/2008 - Conditional Residency approved

11/2009 - Apply to remove conditions

02/2010 - Permanent Residency approved

11/2010 - Apply for Citizenship

03/2011 - Citizenship approved

07/2011 - Moved back to Brazil

Timeline

we met online in march 2008. I dont know, I guess it seems that I have to speak to an immigration lawyer before I do this, thanks anyways for the help

7/2/10- NOA1

NVC

3/2/11- Paid AOS bill

3/5/11- Paid IV bill

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

If you are paranoid or scared of a refusal, then put your azz on an airplane and go visit her, it is the best bonafide relationship evidence you can provide...

YMMV

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Zambia
Timeline

To help overcome any doubts about the strength of your relationship, go visit her at her home town and meet her family. Get photos. Then begin the process. You wanted advice -- so accept it. The alternative is to go through the process over several months and at the end of the day, she fails to get her visa on the grounds that there was not enough evidence of real intentions. Or, it is granted. Call the chances 50-50.

Timeline

believe me i appreciate all advice. With the advice, I have decided it is best to go to Colombia..thank you all. Do any of you think it is a problem that we visited Peru together and then Colombia? You think they would question why we did that, instead of me just going to Colombia in the first place?

7/2/10- NOA1

NVC

3/2/11- Paid AOS bill

3/5/11- Paid IV bill

Timeline

Don't worry so much. You have the minimum needed to apply for a visa and can do so at anytime. As already suggested read the guides and also go into the regional forums at the bottom and find the region that your fiancee is in and go there and read what and how others are doing from Columbia. Of course since you will need a co sponsor will be harder and more hoops to jump through but so what? If she is worth it and you both want to then learn patience and go do what needs to be done.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.