sukie175

Bugs Bugs Bugs

75 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Anyone ever seen a Garden Spider (aka Banana Spider)? If a spider can be pretty, this one certainly is...and it is very beneficial since they eat a lot of bugs. These things are absolutely huge and if you frighten them they begin to "bounce" their web back and forth to scare you away. Very much intimidating this bouncing is! Anyway, they are very common in most areas of the US but are harmless...unless you are a bug. Here is a picture:garden_spider_nice.jpg

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

We have these in our front garden. I found one in its web last Summer while clearing out dead leaves. The interesting thing is that even though I detest and am terrified by spiders normally, this one is so big that it didn't seem nearly as bad as the smaller ones do. I really like the latticework they set up in the centre of their webs. Since they are harmless, they are welcome.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
Anyone ever seen a Garden Spider (aka Banana Spider)? If a spider can be pretty, this one certainly is...and it is very beneficial since they eat a lot of bugs. These things are absolutely huge and if you frighten them they begin to "bounce" their web back and forth to scare you away. Very much intimidating this bouncing is! Anyway, they are very common in most areas of the US but are harmless...unless you are a bug.

That's beautiful. I have not seen a spider that colorful in Michigan. The ones in my house are just average size and tan colored. I think they are called grass spiders. I don't bother them and they don't bother me.

now if a wasp gets in the house i freak out!

mary

Tom (London)   Mary (Michigan)

Sept. 2003 - meet online, become friends

May 2004 - we have grown close

Nov. 2004 - Tom books a flight to Michigan for Jan. 2005

Jan. 17, 2005 - first meeting at the Detroit Airport, 16 days together!

Feb. 2. 2005 - Tom returns to London. We start investigating our options

April 7, 2005 - Tom arrives for another visit.

April 8, 2005 - engaged.

April 26, 2005 - K1 sent to Nebrasksa. Tom flies back to London :(

May 6, 2005 - NOA1

June 14, 2005 - Tom returns to the USA:)

July 5, 2005 - Tom goes back to London :(

July 25, 2005 - NOA2 email- waited 3 months

Aug. 22, 2005 - Tom receives Packet 3

Sept. 6, 2005 - Packet 3 sent to Embassy

Oct. 20, 2005 - medical in London -booked 7 weeks earlier!

Nov. 9, 2005 - email embassy - have we have been forgotten?

Nov. 15, 2005 - Mary flies to London (Brixton) for 12 weeks

Nov. 18, 2005 - embassy replies to email, date assigned

Nov. 22, 2005 - Packet 4 received

Nov. 25, 2005 - interview in London - DENIED :(

Nov. 30, 2005 - mailed waiver

Feb. 6, 2006 - still waiting for decision. Mary extends stay from Feb. 7 to March 21

March 3, 2006 - WAIVER DENIED :(

March 2006 - Mary extends UK stay again. We rent a house near London (Gravesend) and move.

May 10th - Mary returns to USA - torn apart again

June 27, 2006 - Mary receives UK fiance visa

July 31,2006 - Mary sells house in USA

Sept. 1, 2006 - Mary moves to UK

Oct. 9, 2006 - wedding

i thought they were a poisonous type

Peace to All creatures great and small............................................

But when we turn to the Hebrew literature, we do not find such jokes about the donkey. Rather the animal is known for its strength and its loyalty to its master (Genesis 49:14; Numbers 22:30).

Peppi_drinking_beer.jpg

my burro, bosco ..enjoying a beer in almaty

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...st&id=10835

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
i thought they were a poisonous type

Not poisoness to humans (mostly); however, like many spiders they do use a neurotoxin into their prey. In the unlikely event you were to get bitten by one it would be slightly painfull at the bite and cause very minor symptoms like headache and maybe some nausea (according to the books).

We have these in our front garden. I found one in its web last Summer while clearing out dead leaves. The interesting thing is that even though I detest and am terrified by spiders normally, this one is so big that it didn't seem nearly as bad as the smaller ones do. I really like the latticework they set up in the centre of their webs. Since they are harmless, they are welcome.

Yes, they do spin an incredible web! They usually web at night and make quick work of it. I've seen these perfect webs probably 2-feet wide in a place they weren't the evening before. It's also interesting that they will move the web to a new location if they are not catching enough prey. I don't know how they actually move the web, but my father once told me they will actually eat it, move to another location and spin a new one.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
when i was young..i use to get chiggers on my nuts...damn...

ditto. dang that hurts :lol:

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

You know although that banana spider is beautiful in it's own way IT"S S-S-STILL A SPIDER!

I have full blown all out arachnaphobia, when I was a teenager I used to catch those in jars for extra credit in biology class (10 bugs would raise your grade by 1 letter), I also hoped that doing so would help my fear but alas no luck whatsoever. They were easy to catch though, if you JUST touch the web with a jar centered over the spider they will jump right into the jar eeiiiwwwww yuck I can't believe I did that.

These days the most frightening spider for me is this one

Yellow Sac Spider

Just finding an image of it has my teeth clenched and my shoulders tensed up looking at the walls around me as I type this so I posted the link rather than the picture itself.

They are smallish, house spiders of a sort, they make small cocoon type things in the corners of the house usually up near the ceiling and tend to wander about at night. Many years ago I had some nest in my car. The night they were discovered I had someone in the car with me and nearly wrecked it thinking I saw JUST ONE near my face. I asked them to check the car and they had me walk back home...we were close. We sprayed the interior and left the lights on and they were just dropping from the ceiling all over inside the car. I was so happy to see that car go, driving it at night was impossible and in the daytime a nightmare.

July 12, 2002 - Married

I130

May 18, 2005 - Sent Certified Mail USPS with Money Order for fees

May 20, 2005 - Received Date

June 2, 2005 - Notice Date

June 6, 2005 - Received NOA1

September 10, 2005No action to date

December 1, 2005 -Approved

I129

August 25, 2005 - Sent Certified Mail USPS with Money Order for fees

August 26, 2005 - USPS tracking shows Delivered, August 26, 2005, 1:54 pm, CHICAGO, IL 60680

September 7, 2005 - "touched" I think

September 12, 2005 - Received NOA1 showing receipt date of August 30, 2005

October 17, 2005 - APPROVED!!!

November 27, 2005 - Received by NVC

November 3, 2005 - RFE received from Consulate

November 18, 2005 - RFE delivered to Consulate

November 28, 2005 - Instructions received

December 6, 2005 - Medical Appt Much confusion and lack of communication by Physicians caused much delay :(

March 23 - Checklist received

May 12 - Packet 4 received

June 1 - Interview

June 1 - APPROVED!!!!!

June 7 - Steve Arrived home

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
You know although that banana spider is beautiful in it's own way IT"S S-S-STILL A SPIDER!

I have full blown all out arachnaphobia, when I was a teenager I used to catch those in jars for extra credit in biology class (10 bugs would raise your grade by 1 letter), I also hoped that doing so would help my fear but alas no luck whatsoever. They were easy to catch though, if you JUST touch the web with a jar centered over the spider they will jump right into the jar eeiiiwwwww yuck I can't believe I did that.

Yellow Sac Spider

Just finding an image of it has my teeth clenched and my shoulders tensed up looking at the walls around me as I type this so I posted the link rather than the picture itself.

They are smallish, house spiders of a sort, they make small cocoon type things in the corners of the house usually up near the ceiling and tend to wander about at night. Many years ago I had some nest in my car. The night they were discovered I had someone in the car with me and nearly wrecked it thinking I saw JUST ONE near my face. I asked them to check the car and they had me walk back home...we were close. We sprayed the interior and left the lights on and they were just dropping from the ceiling all over inside the car. I was so happy to see that car go, driving it at night was impossible and in the daytime a nightmare.

that looks, at first glance, like a brown recluse. eeek!

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Yellow Sac Spider

that looks, at first glance, like a brown recluse. eeek!

They actually are very small, but very very scary to me! I'm still all tensed up from finding a picture of one hehe

well....not VERY small, about 1/4 of an inch maybe ? HUGE when you're scared of them!

Edited by PsychoKat

July 12, 2002 - Married

I130

May 18, 2005 - Sent Certified Mail USPS with Money Order for fees

May 20, 2005 - Received Date

June 2, 2005 - Notice Date

June 6, 2005 - Received NOA1

September 10, 2005No action to date

December 1, 2005 -Approved

I129

August 25, 2005 - Sent Certified Mail USPS with Money Order for fees

August 26, 2005 - USPS tracking shows Delivered, August 26, 2005, 1:54 pm, CHICAGO, IL 60680

September 7, 2005 - "touched" I think

September 12, 2005 - Received NOA1 showing receipt date of August 30, 2005

October 17, 2005 - APPROVED!!!

November 27, 2005 - Received by NVC

November 3, 2005 - RFE received from Consulate

November 18, 2005 - RFE delivered to Consulate

November 28, 2005 - Instructions received

December 6, 2005 - Medical Appt Much confusion and lack of communication by Physicians caused much delay :(

March 23 - Checklist received

May 12 - Packet 4 received

June 1 - Interview

June 1 - APPROVED!!!!!

June 7 - Steve Arrived home

Sarah, you just need some good 'ole salve!!!

Certainly Gary can help you out with that!!! :lol:;):P

:lol: Thanks for the tip Robert

Seriously there are some great posts here and great info on my 'pet' chiggers too :whistle:

For any others suffering with chigger bites, I have conducted alot of research and spent a good few dollars on how to stop the damned itching the past 3 weeks and clear them up fast. Here are my results:

After Bite - Good for immediate relief of itching and it feels sooo good when it stings on the itch, but does not seem to reduce them quickly and needs reapplying quite often.

Chiggerex - don't bother!

Chigger Rid - Only seems good for about 5 hours maximum and then the itch returns badly, but it does seem to dry them up quicker than others as it seals them. Hard to get off though and your legs end up looking dirty.

Alum with water - Average for the itch but clears them up very quickly

Anti Itch - only good for the itching

Clear Nail Polish - only good for clearing them up quickly and helping the itch a little

Calamine - Good for itch but average on clearing them up

And the No 1 remedy is....a combination treatment of

'Anti Itch' lotion applied with cotton wool to bites, this totally stops any itching for 12 hours plus...and then

Clear Nail Polish applied directly to every bite once the Anti Itch is dry, this seals them for 18-24 hours and also clears them up really fast.

I did this late last night and did not itch for 24 hours, I have now cleaned off the nail polish and am about to apply this remedy again, I think this will be the last time I need to - so cleared up in 48 hours if I am right. I will report back tomorrow night :thumbs:

Edited by sukie175

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline
Is anybody else finding the bugs an absolute nightmare in the USA.

It is soooo much worse here than the UK for bugs.

Welcome to the jungle. Just wait until tornado season. There are reasons the Indians were relocated to Oklahoma. Although, perhaps you are more fortunate than you know. Here, in Arkansas, if the bugs and storms don’t get you, the poison ivy will (or, some inbred red-neck).

from Andrew

All was fine :) until the rains came :wacko:

Invasion of the mosquitoes :whistle:

Entry in the USA: May 13 2005

10 yr GC approved: October 5 2007

Filed: Country: Guyana
Timeline

Ewwww, talking bout spiders...the absolute WORST spider for me is the Wolf Spider and not only are they ENORMOUS, they JUMP! Eeeks, just typing about them make me crazy.

Mom said she saw one run out of the blankets after we had them hanging out last summer, and I absolutely tore the cabin (we were at our lil trailer up on the river) apart trying to find it, and couldnt sleep that night til we closed it up and l bug bombed and let it sit for 3 weeks! Ended up leaving it earlier than planned, just cuz they scare the bejeebers out of me. I saw one in the basement 15 years ago, and at first I thought it was an extra huge mouse but then realized it had 8 legs! :Shudders:

Timeline

May 15th Lake arrived NYC on tourist visa

6-15-05 Flew NCY to "fetch" Lake for visit here

8-17-05 He Proposed!

8-24-05 MARRIED!

9- 1-05 - SENT AOS, EAD, AP, & ETC

9-12-05 NOA1 - FOR I-130, I-145, & AP, EAD

10-5-05 RFE for Birth C. & medical

10-24-05 GOT LEARNERS PERMIT

11-3-05 DRIVERS LICENSE :)

11-16-05 overnited RFE

11-17-05 Rcvd NOA2 for EAD, bio set for 12-5-05

11-25-05 Recvd AOS bio letter, apptmt for 12-14-05

12-5-05 Biometrics (they did BOTH!)

Infopass, got temp EAD, AP no luck

12-6-05 Applied for SSN, not in system

12-10-05 AP finally arrives!

12-11-05 1 year EAD card!

12-23-05 Interview letter arrives! 3-3-06

1-17-06 SSN arrives!!

3-3-06 Interview-APPROVED! Passport stamped :)

3-14-06 Green card arrives!

This topic is still freaking me the f### out

I may order clothing made entirely from steel-screen mesh or just go everywhere dressed in purdah (that should freak out the rednecks, :lol: ) or a bee-keepers outfit.

*still shuddering over Reba's last post*

Applied for K1

Met online 2001 - just aquaintances

Sept 2002 - 1st US visit - everything goes perfectly.

Dec 20th - Forms recev'd at CSC

Dec 27th - NOA1 received by snail mail!

Dec 29th - 'Touched'

March 10 2006 - NOA2!

March 23 - recv'd at NVC

March 24 - petition sent to London

April 9th - Pkt 3 rec'd!

May 17th - Pkt 3 signed for at London Embassy

May 24th - Medical

May24th - Pkt 4

June 14th - Interview 10am - APPROVED 1pm!!

June 16th - Visas received in my hot little hands 1pm :)

July 19th - flying to US!

July 27th - Married!! :-)

Aug 7th - Applied for SSN in married name

Aug 9th - SSN received

uk.gif1273.gifusa.gif

3dflagsdotcom_uk_2fawm.gif3dflagsdotcom_usa_2fawm.gif

I'm not a lawyer I just have opinions on everything :)

animated flags from http://3dflags.com

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

Ok have recieved my pintarsol from home and Im a happy camper scratching and itching gone, rash gone.. Also invested in some good ole telfast and that seems to dull the itching as well .. but the bathing certainly helps all my rash and iches were gone within 2 days praise the lord .... Oh and almatey my sones got that complaint right now LOL poor little fella :)

I've reached that realistic age where I have to choose between having fun and a heart attack :)