sukie175

Bugs Bugs Bugs

75 posts in this topic

Is anybody else finding the bugs an absolute nightmare in the USA.

Especially because it has been unseasonably hot in Oklahoma, they are bloody awful. I just had to come inside and leave hubby after getting dive bombed from all directions repeatedly. Despite having 2 insecticide lanterns going!

We have Dune bugs (aka Roly Poly's I think!) and these chase you down and are harmless, but quite big and yukky. One just got in my hair and helped me decide to come indoors :help:

Then there are the Chiggers, which you never see.....2 weeks ago I had 28 chigger bites between my foot and knee on 1 leg!!!! My mum was the same this week, we have emptied the local stores of remedies to stop the itcing.

Then there are the HUGE yellow-jackets, like wasps on speed gone mad!

It is soooo much worse here then the UK for bugs

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not a fan of bugs either but cant say I have spent enough time in the US to know if its any better or worse then Oz.

021b1daa.gif

You can find me on FBI

An overview of Security Name Checks And Administrative Review at Service Center, NVC & Consulate levels.

Detailed Review USCIS Alien Security Checks

fb2fc244.gif72c97806.gif4d488a91.gif

11324375801ij.gif

View Timeline HERE

I am but a wench not a lawyer. My advice and opinion is just that. I read, I research, I learn.

I am not a fan of bugs either but cant say I have spent enough time in the US to know if its any better or worse then Oz.

021b1daa.gif

Yeh I have heard from a few people that OZ is BAD for bugs and creepy crawlies. You may find like me Lorelle, you are an easy target for them until you acclimatise!

When are you moving?

Filed: Country: Vietnam
Timeline

We're generally just creeped out by our bugs. We don't have to worry about Funnelweb or Redback spiders actually killing us while we sleep. Sure we have black widows, but I'll bet the Aussie spiders would eat black widows for lunch.

Edited by dalegg

20-July -03 Meet Nicole

17-May -04 Divorce Final. I-129F submitted to USCIS

02-July -04 NOA1

30-Aug -04 NOA2 (Approved)

13-Sept-04 NVC to HCMC

08-Oc t -04 Pack 3 received and sent

15-Dec -04 Pack 4 received.

24-Jan-05 Interview----------------Passed

28-Feb-05 Visa Issued

06-Mar-05 ----Nicole is here!!EVERYBODY DANCE!

10-Mar-05 --US Marriage

01-Nov-05 -AOS complete

14-Nov-07 -10 year green card approved

12-Mar-09 Citizenship Oath Montebello, CA

May '04- Mar '09! The 5 year journey is complete!

Yeh I have heard from a few people that OZ is BAD for bugs and creepy crawlies. You may find like me Lorelle, you are an easy target for them until you acclimatise!

When are you moving?

Mid July....hoping for around 18th :P Gives me time to do some last minute things.

dalegg

I have only ever come across a funnel web twice in my life and both times outside. It depends on the area you live in. Yes, they could shorten your life if you dont get medical attention quick enuf lol no different to the rattlers in the US. I worry more about snakes and sharks in the summer. As for the redback...that is a very close relative of the blackwidow and whilst noone ever wants to be bitten, it is rarely fatal. I used to find them all the time under the dunny seat when I was a kid hahahaha Hated those out side dunnies, especially in the dark when you wantin' to pee or take a dump :unsure:

You can find me on FBI

An overview of Security Name Checks And Administrative Review at Service Center, NVC & Consulate levels.

Detailed Review USCIS Alien Security Checks

fb2fc244.gif72c97806.gif4d488a91.gif

11324375801ij.gif

View Timeline HERE

I am but a wench not a lawyer. My advice and opinion is just that. I read, I research, I learn.

Filed: Other Timeline

use clear nailpolish on chigger bites, apparently takes the sting right out. And put on an insect repellent that has DEET in it. Its about the only thing that'll keep the bugs off. Citronella is nice to try and be environmentally friendly and all, but doesn't work nearly as well. And with the threat of West Nile virus these days, I'd rather not get bit by anything :P

We're having a problem with ticks on our dogs, even with Advantage drops AND tick collars, they're still getting on them :( Poor puppies.

divorced - April 2010 moved back to Ontario May 2010 and surrendered green card

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

I just recently was having an ant issue. Ick and they are the BIG ants, not little ones. We had no idea where they were coming in from but I always found them in the open kitchen area. My hubby sprayed down both door entrances from the outside and in and we were still getting them. I haven't really seen some in a few days now though, maybe they found a new spot ugh! I hate em. Chiggers are awful, I didn't even know what they were till I moved down here. I hate them, especially if they bite on your toes or fingers, I think thats the worst.

ticker.png

Filed: Other Country: England
Timeline

ewwwwwww I actually have some little tiny ants in the kitchen now, and I just don't get it?? I was/am running to the store yet today to get some ant poison and see if that works..gonna look it up on the Internet too for some suggestions..can't stand it!!! Grrrrr

Suk, Craig says the same thing...he wondered on his first visit why we all had screens on the windows...he soon found out, and was VERY grateful for them!! :lol: :lol: He also said the same thing as you that the wasps are so much bigger than in the UK...up here in northern WI we get a lot of skeeters in the summer at night too...hate that! I don't like em any more than he does, but I guess we just gotta deal! :(

:) M.

ManU2.jpg

10 year green card received

mid March, 2008. Done 'til Naturalization! WOOT! :)

Not sure if it's an old tale or not but I was always told to put clean fingernail polish on chigger bites because they burrow in and out of your skin. each time leaving a itchy red bump. the fingernail polish seals them in and smothers them. Sounds kind of sick but i think it works.

doesn't have to be clear if you don't mind pink, red or whatever color dots on you. :lol:

Baileyj

Edited by Baileyj96

SHA ZAM!!! I-601 WAIVER APPROVED......10/13/06

11/18/06 Arrived

12/21/06 Filed for Social Security number

12/22/06 Married

01/03/2007 Social Security number arrived

01/10/07 Filed AOS

01/19/07 NOA1

02/05/07 Biometrics

2/6/07 Touch on EAD

02/07 Received RFE and returned information within 2 days

2/24/07 Transferred to California

2/26/07 Received letter (Transfer to California)

3/1/07 AOS email confirmation that case was received in California

3/2/07 AOS Touched again today but no update.

3/5/07 AOS another touch but no update.

4/5/07 EAD Touched again

4/9/07 EAD Touched.

4/10/07 EAD card ordered.

Removal of Conditions

6/8/2009 Sent I-751.

6/12/2009 Check Cashed

6/15/2009 NOA1 Received

6/25/2009 Received biometrics letter

7/13/2009 Biometrics appointment at Indianapolis Indiana

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline
We have Dune bugs (aka Roly Poly's I think!) and these chase you down and are harmless, but quite big and yukky. One just got in my hair and helped me decide to come indoors :help:

Sarah... you have me confuese with which bugs you're talking about!!! :lol:

Dune bugs, or June bugs? June bugs fly, and like to get in your hair. Roly Polys are little bugs on the ground that roll up in a ball when you mess with them, and can not fly! ;)

But I'm with you... I'm not a big fan of bugs... period! Luckily here in Hawaii there are no snakes, so that's a big plus when out hiking or outdoors. Inside though, we have geckos running all over the place. They don't bother me by being here, but I don't appreciate them pooping everywhere!!! :o:angry:

K-1 Timeline

11-29-05: Mailed I-129F Petition to CSC

12-06-05: NOA1

03-02-06: NOA2

03-23-06: Interview Date May 16

05-17-06: K-1 Visa Issued

05-20-06: Arrived at POE, Honolulu

07-17-06: Married

AOS Timeline

08-14-06: Mailed I-485 to Chicago

08-24-06: NOA for I-485

09-08-06: Biometrics Appointment

09-25-06: I-485 transferred to CSC

09-28-06: I-485 received at CSC

10-18-06: AOS Approved

10-21-06: Approval notice mailed

10-23-06: Received "Welcome Letter"

10-27-06: Received 2 yr Green Card

I-751 Timeline

07-21-08: Mailed I-751 to VSC

07-25-08: NOA for I-751

08-27-08: Biometrics Appointment

02-25-09: I-751 transferred to CSC

04-17-09: I-751 Approved

06-22-09: Received 10 yr Green Card

N-400 Timeline

07-20-09: Mailed N-400 to Lewisville, TX

07-23-09: NOA for N-400

08-14-09: Biometrics Appointment

09-08-09: Interview Date Oct 07

10-30-09: Oath Ceremony

11-20-09: Received Passport!!!

Not sure if it's an old tale or not but I was always told to put clean fingernail polish on chigger bites because they burrow in and out of your skin. each time leaving a itchy red bump. the fingernail polish seals them in and smothers them. Sounds kind of sick but i think it works.

doesn't have to be clear if you don't mind pink, red or whatever color dots on you. :lol:

Baileyj

So what you're saying essentially, is to put nail polish on the bite and seal IN an insect in your skin, is that right? :huh::unsure:

:blink:

smilie_s.gifsmilie_h.gifsmilie_a.gifsmilie_r.gifsmilie_o.gifsmilie_n.gif

"Life is not measured by how many breaths we take but rather by the moments that take our breath away"

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Baileyj

So what you're saying essentially, is to put nail polish on the bite and seal IN an insect in your skin, is that right? :huh::unsure:

:blink:

It's to cut off it's air supply so it will die... inside your skin!!! :o:P

Guess the body can consume the carcas!!! :lol:

K-1 Timeline

11-29-05: Mailed I-129F Petition to CSC

12-06-05: NOA1

03-02-06: NOA2

03-23-06: Interview Date May 16

05-17-06: K-1 Visa Issued

05-20-06: Arrived at POE, Honolulu

07-17-06: Married

AOS Timeline

08-14-06: Mailed I-485 to Chicago

08-24-06: NOA for I-485

09-08-06: Biometrics Appointment

09-25-06: I-485 transferred to CSC

09-28-06: I-485 received at CSC

10-18-06: AOS Approved

10-21-06: Approval notice mailed

10-23-06: Received "Welcome Letter"

10-27-06: Received 2 yr Green Card

I-751 Timeline

07-21-08: Mailed I-751 to VSC

07-25-08: NOA for I-751

08-27-08: Biometrics Appointment

02-25-09: I-751 transferred to CSC

04-17-09: I-751 Approved

06-22-09: Received 10 yr Green Card

N-400 Timeline

07-20-09: Mailed N-400 to Lewisville, TX

07-23-09: NOA for N-400

08-14-09: Biometrics Appointment

09-08-09: Interview Date Oct 07

10-30-09: Oath Ceremony

11-20-09: Received Passport!!!

Hey i was curious after i posted that. Seems it is an old tail. But the fingernail polish does seem to help the itching. :lol:

The many chigger "home remedies" used by devotees have not been tested to verify effectiveness. Most however, are misguided or developed from a incorrect understanding of chigger biology. This includes the widespread myth that using fingernail polish "kills" the embedded chigger. Relief from itching can come in many forms. One requirement for stopping itching is to seal the skin from contact with air. That's why many remedies, including nail polish appear to work. Similar results can occur with calamine, vaseline, cold cream, and baby oil. Better relief often comes from products that seal the skin and contain antihistamines; for example, caladryl or hydrocortisone salves and creams. Products that contain local anesthetics and analgesics also effectively alleviate symptoms for most people.

NOW STOP .............YOUR MAKING ME ITCH!!!! :yes:

Baileyj

Edited by Baileyj96

SHA ZAM!!! I-601 WAIVER APPROVED......10/13/06

11/18/06 Arrived

12/21/06 Filed for Social Security number

12/22/06 Married

01/03/2007 Social Security number arrived

01/10/07 Filed AOS

01/19/07 NOA1

02/05/07 Biometrics

2/6/07 Touch on EAD

02/07 Received RFE and returned information within 2 days

2/24/07 Transferred to California

2/26/07 Received letter (Transfer to California)

3/1/07 AOS email confirmation that case was received in California

3/2/07 AOS Touched again today but no update.

3/5/07 AOS another touch but no update.

4/5/07 EAD Touched again

4/9/07 EAD Touched.

4/10/07 EAD card ordered.

Removal of Conditions

6/8/2009 Sent I-751.

6/12/2009 Check Cashed

6/15/2009 NOA1 Received

6/25/2009 Received biometrics letter

7/13/2009 Biometrics appointment at Indianapolis Indiana

OMG

Are you telling me that the chigger stays living in your skin and that's why it starts itching again and again!!! :o

So when I had 28 chigger bites I had 28 chiggers living between my foot and knee!!!! I need a running around screaming emoticon at this point Lorelle.

I am totally creeped out now as well as itchy :crying: I have tried the clear nail polish thing after someone told me that this morning and the itching has stopped. He mentioned suffocating the bite and although I thought it was a strange way to put it, I never imagined the bug was in me :help:

Oh and Roi - I may have spelt that wrong and they are June bugs and then Roly Polys too - whatever I hate em all.

Infested Sarah :unsure:

Edited by sukie175

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

You'll be happy to know that the chiggers are not under your skin!

"Chiggers do not burrow under your skin, as many people believe, nor do they feed on animal blood. They actually feed on the fluids in skin cells. To get the fluids, they attach themselves to a skin pore or hair follicle and inject a digestive enzyme that ruptures the cells. The enzyme also hardens the surrounding skin tissue, forming a sort of straw for sucking the skin cell fluids. The whole process irritates the skin, causing an itchy red bump that continues to cause discomfort for several days. Chiggers are only about 1/50th of an inch (0.5 mm) in diameter and so are too small to be seen with the naked eye. This invisibility is the reason so many people believe chiggers burrow under the skin.

You might encounter chiggers in any number of environments, but they are especially concentrated in damp areas with a lot of vegetation. They are attracted to concealed, moist conditions on hosts, too, so they tend to attach to skin under tight clothing, such as socks and underwear, or in concealed areas of the body, such as the groin and the armpits. One way to decrease the chance of chigger bites is to wear loose clothing when you're in the woods or other infested areas. You should also take a shower as soon as you get home from an outdoor expedition, to remove any chiggers before they attach to your skin.

In North America, chiggers don't spread any diseases to humans, but chigger bites can get infected. You should keep the irritated area clean and refrain as much as possible from scratching. In other parts of the world, chiggers may pose a more serious threat. In some areas of Asia, for example, certain chigger species carry the disease scrub typhus. If you spend a lot of time outdoors, check an insect and spider field guide to find out what sort of chiggers are in your area.

One commonly known remedy for chigger bites is to apply nail polish to reduce itchiness. This does not kill the chigger or treat the bite in any way. It simply seals the area off from the air, which keeps the sore from itching so badly. If you want to apply something to relieve itching, it's much better to use a salve or cream that contains antihistamines (Caladryl or hydrocortisone salves are the most common). Like nail polish, these treatments will seal the bite from the surrounding air, but they will also help to prevent infection. If the welts continue to irritate you for more than a couple of weeks, they might be infected and you should see a doctor."

from How Stuff Works