DrewNSue

I-751 Aggrivation

23 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Thailand
Timeline

It's been awhile since I posted on the site, I had figured everything was going so smoothly. I should have known....

-January 8, 2008 submitted I-751 w/ tons of evidence (mortgage contracts, affadavits, mail, bank statements, insurance policies, child's birth certificate, etc)

-Recieved the NOA stating my wife's GC had been extended one year from date of reciept. (Jan 10, 2009)

-Called several times throughout the year to check on the case, and was told repeatedly it would be processed towards the end of the year or the start of the new year. (Vermont Service Center).

- Got back from visiting family for the holidays, on Monday Dec. 29, and there is a letter from USCIS waiting for us. "Great!" I think, and open it up. It is an RFE.

-Call USCIS, fuming, and explain the situation. Woman tells me she's sorry, and that the best I can do is submit the evidence as soon as possible, and schedule an INFOPASS appoitment to see about getting an extension or her GC somehow.

-Sent all the paperwork (everything in the original, with EVEN MORE inane stuff) in overnight, certified, via FedEx. They won't get it until Friday due to the holiday. Schedule the INFOPASS appointment for the earliest date available, January 22 (GC will be expired). And it is in Norfolk, an hour and forty-five minutes away, even though there is another office thirty minutes away. Grrrrrr.

So now, unless they process and approve her case in a few working days, my wife's green card will be expired. That also means her drivers license will be expired. We have a twenty month old daughter, and I work about thirty minutes away. I am so worried she will need to get somewhere and be unable to. This doesn't even mention the fact that her status is completely up-in-the-air. If she needs to prove her citizenship or show ID for any reason, we're in trouble.

I am at my whit's end. I am pretty sure that unless the case gets approved (and hasn't been suspended or held up in any way), we have to wait until the INFOPASS appointment. That leaves us dangling for two weeks without any proof of permanent residence. Is there anything else I can do? Has anyone had a similar thing happen to them at the I-751 stage? Thanks.

-Drew

Currently working on getting together our timeline loaded with pitfalls galore! She's here though, and that's most important!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Sorry to hear about this. Was there anything specific that the RFE requested given all the initial evidence you provided?

K1 Timeline

12/27/2005...I-129F Sent (Nebraska Service Center)

07/19/2006...Visa Approved

AOS Timeline

01/23/2007...AOS Sent

03/08/2007...AOS Approved

Removing Conditions

01/12/2009...I-751 Sent

06/10/2009...I-751 Approved

Naturalization

03/27/2010...N-400 Sent

11/21/2011...Approval

12/09/2011...Oath Ceremony

Filed: Timeline

Why would an otherwise valid driver's license expire when her green card expires?

It's been awhile since I posted on the site, I had figured everything was going so smoothly. I should have known....

-January 8, 2008 submitted I-751 w/ tons of evidence (mortgage contracts, affadavits, mail, bank statements, insurance policies, child's birth certificate, etc)

-Recieved the NOA stating my wife's GC had been extended one year from date of reciept. (Jan 10, 2009)

-Called several times throughout the year to check on the case, and was told repeatedly it would be processed towards the end of the year or the start of the new year. (Vermont Service Center).

- Got back from visiting family for the holidays, on Monday Dec. 29, and there is a letter from USCIS waiting for us. "Great!" I think, and open it up. It is an RFE.

-Call USCIS, fuming, and explain the situation. Woman tells me she's sorry, and that the best I can do is submit the evidence as soon as possible, and schedule an INFOPASS appoitment to see about getting an extension or her GC somehow.

-Sent all the paperwork (everything in the original, with EVEN MORE inane stuff) in overnight, certified, via FedEx. They won't get it until Friday due to the holiday. Schedule the INFOPASS appointment for the earliest date available, January 22 (GC will be expired). And it is in Norfolk, an hour and forty-five minutes away, even though there is another office thirty minutes away. Grrrrrr.

So now, unless they process and approve her case in a few working days, my wife's green card will be expired. That also means her drivers license will be expired. We have a twenty month old daughter, and I work about thirty minutes away. I am so worried she will need to get somewhere and be unable to. This doesn't even mention the fact that her status is completely up-in-the-air. If she needs to prove her citizenship or show ID for any reason, we're in trouble.

I am at my whit's end. I am pretty sure that unless the case gets approved (and hasn't been suspended or held up in any way), we have to wait until the INFOPASS appointment. That leaves us dangling for two weeks without any proof of permanent residence. Is there anything else I can do? Has anyone had a similar thing happen to them at the I-751 stage? Thanks.

-Drew

"diaddie mermaid"

You can 'catch' me on here and on FBI.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Many states tie the length of validity of Driver's License to the length of validity of the immigration document. My DL expires the same day as the I-551 stamp in my passport. I need to present new immigration documents to get a renewal of that license and it will only be for as long as the immigration document is valid. I expect the OP is in the same situation.

The only other thing I can suggest is to keep calling for an Infopass appointment every day and see if one of the dates that comes up is earlier than the current one in which case you can take that date and cancel the other appointment. It sucks. The good news is that once they receive the new evidence you sent in you will receive approval very quickly. You may find that you will get the green card about the same time as the extension expires. Being up in the air about this all though, is very frustrating and I can appreciate your concern.

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Timeline
Why would an otherwise valid driver's license expire when her green card expires?

-Drew

In Virginia, the DMV bases the term of the driver's license off the GC. Once the GC expires, so does the license.

STL, the RFE stated basically the same stuff you always see, and specifically mention things I had sent them in triplicate. My gut makes me think they lost all of it.

Currently working on getting together our timeline loaded with pitfalls galore! She's here though, and that's most important!

Timeline
Many states tie the length of validity of Driver's License to the length of validity of the immigration document. My DL expires the same day as the I-551 stamp in my passport. I need to present new immigration documents to get a renewal of that license and it will only be for as long as the immigration document is valid. I expect the OP is in the same situation.

The only other thing I can suggest is to keep calling for an Infopass appointment every day and see if one of the dates that comes up is earlier than the current one in which case you can take that date and cancel the other appointment. It sucks. The good news is that once they receive the new evidence you sent in you will receive approval very quickly. You may find that you will get the green card about the same time as the extension expires. Being up in the air about this all though, is very frustrating and I can appreciate your concern.

Hopefully that is the case. I have been trying the INFOPASS repeatedly every few hours, but it just keeps spitting out the same dates. I'm hoping we hear something soon. Thanks for calming my nerves Kathryn.

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

So sorry. Hang in there.

Life's just a crazy ride on a run away train

You can't go back for what you've missed

So make it count, hold on tight find a way to make it right

You only get one trip

So make it good, make it last 'cause it all flies by so fast

You only get one trip

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

-Drew

Hi Drew,

I am sorry to hear your troubles. One other suggestion is to call the USCIS back and push them on the fact that your wifes GC and DL will expire because of the last minute RFE. See if they can somehow get an appointment at the Norfolk office directly (bypass the INFOPASS scheduling system). It is *possible* they might be able and willing to do this. The worst thing they are likely to do is say "No, we can't do that". But who knows they may be able to arrange something.

I hope it all works out with the minimum of pain,

Dave

-------------------

TIMELINE:

Feb 23, 2009 - Sent I-129F to VSC Feb 25, 2009 - Received at VSC

Feb 26, 2009 - NOA 1 Mar 2, 2009 - Touched Mar 3, 2009 - Check cashed/touched Mar 4, 2009 - NOA 1 hardcopy

June 30, 2009 - NOA2 email July 6, 2009 - NOA2 Hardcopy

Mar 11, 2009 - Igor's list # 414 Mar 18, 2009 - Igor's list # 396 Mar 25, 2009 - Igor's list # 381

Apr 1, 2009 - Igor's list # 354 Apr 8, 2009 - Igor's list # 339 Apr 15, 2009 - Igor's list # 324

Apr 22, 2009 - Igor's list # 311 Apr 29, 2009 - Igor's list # 300 May 6, 2009 - Igor's list # 274

May 13, 2009 - Igor's list # 262 May 20, 2009 - Igor's list # 257 May 27, 2009 - Igor's list # 255

June 3, 2009 - Igor's list # 225 June 10, 2009 - Igor's list # 208 June 17, 2009 - Igor's list # 201

June 24, 2009 - Igor's list # 196

June 30, 2009 - NOA2 email recieved! (Igor's list #185 at time of approval)

July 10, 2009 - NVC Received

July 17, 2009 - USEM Manila took delivery

July 23, 2009 - USEM Interview set for Aug 10

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

I had a lot of trouble getting an infopass appointment and I kept trying back daily, early in the morning and late at night because I didn't receive my DH's extension letter. Luckily we live in Florida and his driver's license is good until 2013 since we produced a valid GC (didn't matter that it expired in 2 years) But finally I got an appointment 4 days later for his passport stamp. So keep trying for that appointment! Also, take your proof that you overnighted the docs back to VSC just to be safe.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Turkey
Timeline

You should get another extension after sending what they ask for.As soon as (a week or two after, actually) you send it you will get the card in the mail.

I am now a US citizen.

t1283610_made-in-china-american-flag.jpg

pride_logo_275px.jpg

We were told at our local office that the date on the letter is just a date- so long as the case is still pending, the individual is still in status.

I know that doesn't offer much relief, but just thought I'd share that info.

Best of luck to you both!

12/06/07 I-751 application sent

12/08/07 I-751 application received at VSC

12/10/07 Check cashed

12/17/07 NOA1 received

01/22/08 Biometrics Appointment

01/23/08 Touched

12/29/08 Contacted USCIS Customer Service for inquiry

02/19/09 Requested formal inquiry by Senator Arlen Specter

04/03/09 Card Production Ordered

04/10/09 10 Year Greencard Received!

I just wanted to mention that NOA1 extends conditional status for 1 year from the date on conditional green card, not from the date on the receipt.

That's what we were told at our office as well.

12/06/07 I-751 application sent

12/08/07 I-751 application received at VSC

12/10/07 Check cashed

12/17/07 NOA1 received

01/22/08 Biometrics Appointment

01/23/08 Touched

12/29/08 Contacted USCIS Customer Service for inquiry

02/19/09 Requested formal inquiry by Senator Arlen Specter

04/03/09 Card Production Ordered

04/10/09 10 Year Greencard Received!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

to be compliant with the provisions of the REAL ID act

YMMV

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.