nunyab

MENA Old Wives tales

97 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Here's a funny one straight out of the mouth of my husband back in the day when his English wasn't so good.

"Honey, cover your chestes because it will make your orgasms cold!" Meaning that I will get a cold in my lungs..my organs.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline
Here's a funny one straight out of the mouth of my husband back in the day when his English wasn't so good.

"Honey, cover your chestes because it will make your orgasms cold!" Meaning that I will get a cold in my lungs..my organs.

:rofl::rofl:

200552682v4_225x225_Front.jpg

Filed: Timeline

Mine was the same as others have said, the wet hair. They are all convinced, especially my mother in law that not drying my hair will make me deathly ill. So they chased me around with towels and god forbid I took a shower and went to sleep with wet hair - oh the horrors!! I tried to convince my husband that bacteria/viruses are what make you ill not wet hair, but he wasn't buying it either. So I just let him dry my hair it made him happy lol. And the other, walking around the house without shoes on, for some reason that would make the world end! :wacko:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

:rofl:

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

When I was in Saudi Arabia I think the most common thing was that everything , everything was blamed on jinns.

If you fall in the shower, if you trip , if you drop something important, etc... jinns, jinns jinns are everywhere there. I was new to Islam, and the jinn thing. So I thought this is crazy. Now I know what jinns are, but I dont think they rule my life. Or are responsible for things that happen..My ex even said if you have gas at night(fart) while sleeping, that means jinns are trying to come around you...

Oh and of coaurse there is the one that not only the arabs told me but also my husband now , who is Pakastani.

If you get a stomach ache its because you slept without covering your tummy

Truth of Palestine

take time to watch , give yourself time to understand. Then make your conclusions.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=676280059

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fusea...endid=242259905

In Morocco it was always about the cold making you sick or going out with a wet head

I dont believe that one

but in India, they are very superstitious like the time a friend's mother told me I could only cut my nails on Tuesdays

and not wearing my hair down in the night

these are just 2 of many

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

i think doodle has one to share with us, something about leaving the butt uncovered? :unsure:

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

these are cracking me up i love the "organs" one cause my husband would say something similar back in the day. But a friend of mine who lived in morocco waiting for their cr1 to be processed called me when i was in morocco and said she was almost tackled earlier that day... i said why?? she said cause she almost poured hot water down the sink drain.... apparently Jinn reside in the dark pipes and if you pour hot water on them they will be forced to come out :blink: aren't Jinn made from fire????

when she told me that i asked to confirm and noone would answer me apparently we don't talk about that either the Jinn word.

Timeline
i think doodle has one to share with us, something about leaving the butt uncovered? :unsure:

That one was already said but my husband is meticulous about making sure mine is covered since I get some really crazy nightmares.

I honestly can't think of anything he still does. He used to not like cold drinks but now he loves those mugs that you put in the freezer..the kind with the gel in them for putting soda into. The only thing he's really crazy about is the order in which you put your koshari together. I would just lump it all together but OMG you'd think I was doing something soooo bad when he sees me do it so now when I make it he is in charge of making my little plate of it.

eta: I just remembered though this isn't really a wives tale more just a quirky hubby thing. The first time my oldest slept over someone's house he didn't know about it until he got home from work and she wasn't here. He was soooooo upset!!! Apparently sleepovers aren't all that popular where he's from. He thinks she should be home 24/7 I think because her friends will influence her too much. I nipped that one in the bud since she's a social butterfly and told him that i've screened all of her friends and all. It really shocked me though how he was all upset about her sleeping anywhere but home.

Edited by humpkinpumpkin

"Only from your heart can you touch the sky" - Rumi

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Egypt
Timeline
When i was in Morocco, i'd go sit outside on the concrete. My mil would yell at kamal to get me up so i didn't get hemmoriods

:rofl::rofl::rofl: That one totally made my day!

Sleep in front of a fan and you will catch a cold.

That makes me insane!!!! I want the fan on me dangit! :bonk:

Timeline
When i was in Morocco, i'd go sit outside on the concrete. My mil would yell at kamal to get me up so i didn't get hemmoriods

I have the same issue. I come home I turn on the fan because its 95 in my house and the baby will catch a cold. Also, he used to think drinking when eating will make you fat....maybe that is what happened to me :blush::blush:

Timeline

I have the same issue. I come home I turn on the fan because its 95 in my house and the baby will catch a cold. Also, he used to think drinking when eating will make you fat....maybe that is what happened to me :blush::blush:

That's so funny that you say that. I haven't heard about making you fat but my husband hates it if I drink while I eat. Even after I eat I jump up to get some Fresca but he doesn't want anything other than hot tea since we just had a hot meal. He has this thing about waiting to eat something cold right after we eat something hot and vice versa because he said it will make you sick. He about freaked when I told him that everyday when I was pregnant with Emily I HAD to have a large fry from Burger King. and dip the fries into a vanilla shake from McDonalds. Now THAT did make me gain a good 50 pounds with that pregnancy! :rofl:

"Only from your heart can you touch the sky" - Rumi

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.