nunyab

MENA Old Wives tales

97 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Algeria
Timeline

But to add the burying the hair and nails ... sorry to say this is true. People are out there doing this black magic ... After my son's birth I took all my clothes, sheets ... really anything with our blood and other body fluids on it. And burned them. Sounds funny ... but during my pregnancy I experienced first hand the black magic doned by jealous people.

Also people hide the face of the baby's when people come to see them .... for fear of the 'Eye' ... also they put gold (even for boys -thou this is haraam) and/or hamza on the baby's head as protection.

People also put horse shoes and hamzas above their doors ... and above bedroom and WC doors.More on this later.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Netherlands
Timeline

Henia,

Everything you wrote, I've also been told by friends and family LOL

Some people dress their baby boys up to look like girls and even pierce their ears, so that they don't get hassad for having a male child.

Once, my cousin told me not to leave my clothes laying around becuase shayton will dance in them...not sure if that's true or she made it up to tease me LOL

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Jordan
Timeline

THIS STUFF IS HYSTERICAL!! LMFAO

First, what is a jin? It sounds like whatever it is , its controlling many people lives. lol

Maybe sofyan is weird but he drinks an ice cold can of pop with dinner, throws away leftovers, walks barefoot, runs the fan and air, and ive never heard talk of a jin. Id like some info on this.

img_0169.jpgimg_0192.jpg

qo5Tm6.png

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline
Someone once mentioned something about burying nails and hair after you cut them...has anyone ever heard of that???

Hubby confirms this one... and you must make sure you have your wudu before you cut your hair, nails, or shave... or at least make sure you've made ghusl before you remove anything...

He can remember exactly why people burn them, but we're both pretty sure it is to prevent someone from taking them to make "black magic" on you. Be careful of the Sahara people.. ;)

And I can't believe no one has brought up all the evil eye stuff and all the ways to prevent hasad... Egypt is full of this stuff...

I'm not supposed to tell my dreams to him... good or bad, but when I go ahead he always has an explanation for them.... The other night we went to an NBA game and he didn't tell his friend where we were going because he didn't want to bring "hasad" on us...

I guess my MIL's flat is a regular hang out for Jinn... guess we'll not be staying there!!!! Even though he assures me they are good Jinn who have protected her and warned her of danger for years... I'm not very social when it comes to meeting them... YIKES!

oh well now you sure brought up the evil eye.... I didn't get to meet the "extended" family ie second cousins and some of my FIL's family cause of that.. they kept telling me "after" Also my husband doesn't like our picture up cause we're so "cute" together :wacko: however I have read alot about the Evil eye and it appears throughout the world.

but I am fortunate I have a key ring with the hand and eye in the palm to help ward it off. :)

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Netherlands
Timeline
oh well now you sure brought up the evil eye.... I didn't get to meet the "extended" family ie second cousins and some of my FIL's family cause of that.. they kept telling me "after" Also my husband doesn't like our picture up cause we're so "cute" together :wacko: however I have read alot about the Evil eye and it appears throughout the world.

but I am fortunate I have a key ring with the hand and eye in the palm to help ward it off. :)

:lol::yes:

Filed: Country: Egypt
Timeline
THIS STUFF IS HYSTERICAL!! LMFAO

First, what is a jin? It sounds like whatever it is , its controlling many people lives. lol

Maybe sofyan is weird but he drinks an ice cold can of pop with dinner, throws away leftovers, walks barefoot, runs the fan and air, and ive never heard talk of a jin. Id like some info on this.

Jinn are invisible spirits that live around us. In Islam there are 3 groups of intelligent species created by Allah/God on earth. Humans, Angels, and Jinn. Known as "creatures of the fire" and not always evil. Remember "I dream of Jeannie"... Well Genie's are Jinn... but not so cute... and don't live in bottles...

Many of the things being mentioned here as "old wives tales" are actually Islamic in origin. Either actully "sunnah" (something done in the way of the Prophet Mohammed, pbuh, like sleeping on your right side) or are recommended in some hadith (traditions of the Prophet) like not throwing away food, and especially NEVER throwing it down the toilet!!!!!

If your husband isn't Muslim, or religious, then much of this would not be in the front of his mind... But I'd check his passport to make sure where he's really from an arab country if he's drinking cold drinks. And if he's actually sitting in front of, or sleeping near a fan or a/c I'd call his embassy to verify it! :jest: LOL

Mine says he knows about Jinn but doesn't believe they control our lives. I asked him about them way back when I first heard them mentioned in VJ. He said it's very similar to the "don't walk under a ladder" kind of superstitions and he said that many Jordanians don't believe in them. I dunno if this is just what he thinks or if it's the truth or not.

He does walk around with shoes all the time but now it's not for preventing colds and illnesses...it's coz he doesn't like the way the floor feels on his bare feet in the winter. I can deal with that.

he SWEARS that his belly hurts today coz the blankets fell off of him last night for 20 minutes lol...the mind is a very powerful thing lol

Visited Jordan-December 2004

Interview-December 2005

Visa approved-December 2005, 1 week later after supplying "more information"

Arrived U.S.A.-December 2005

Removed Conditions-September 2008

Divorced in December 2013

lovingmemory.jpgInlovingmemory-2.gifmybabygirl-1-1.jpghenna_rose.jpg37320lovesaved-1.jpg

Filed: Country: Egypt
Timeline
Mine says he knows about Jinn but doesn't believe they control our lives. I asked him about them way back when I first heard them mentioned in VJ. He said it's very similar to the "don't walk under a ladder" kind of superstitions and he said that many Jordanians don't believe in them. I dunno if this is just what he thinks or if it's the truth or not.

If they are Muslims they believe in Jinn. There is an entire Surah (Chapter) of the Quran #72 called "The Jinn". I don't think people are believing in general that Jinn control our lives... just that Jinn have power and can create some havoc in people's lives.

Belief in Jinn comes from belief in Quran, a requirement if your Muslim, definately not if you're not...

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

"blow away its vitamins"...this is classic! :lol:

"you fondle my trigger then you blame my gun"

Timeline: 13 month long journey from filing to visa in hand

If you were lucky and got an approval and reunion with your loved one rather quickly; Please refrain from telling people who waited 6+ months just to get out of a service center to "chill out" or to "stop whining" It's insensitive,and unecessary. Once you walk a mile in their shoes you will understand and be heard.

Thanks!

Filed: Other Timeline

I have heard the evil eye ...when our kids are just born we run out and grab whats called the "ojo de venado".... i think literally translated the eye of the deer. :unsure:

and jinn yes just different regions of course different names but same concept

O and the one about carrying keys when your pregnant and there is full moon....... anyone??

So.... I need some POSITIVITY what about some things we do for luck in the new year....

Met husband July 2005

Married August 2006

Interview for CR-1 Scheduled for December 2007

Administrative Process

Husband was instructed to send passport, new medical, police certificate 02-08-09

VISA IN HAND Feb. 19, 2009 * AP lasted 1 year and 51 days*

Filed: Country: Morocco
Timeline
ok i heard if your palm itches means you'll be coming into money

I've heard this here, and if your nose itches, someone's coming to see you.

I'm the USC.

11/05/2007........Conditional permanent residency effective date.

01/10/2008........Two-year green card in hand.

08/08/2009........Our son was born <3

08/08/2009........Filed for removal of conditions.

12/16/2009........ROC was approved.

11/05/2010........Eligible for Naturalization.

03/01/2011........Separated.

11/05/2012........Eligible for Naturalization.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.