nunyab

MENA Old Wives tales

97 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

So I am snowed in with the kids at home and i was in the bathroom after a shower and remembered the time while in Morocco I was told to make sure there were no breezes in the bathroom after my shower or I'll get "wind slapped" (as i reached to turn on the vent)

another was not having slippers on while on the computer or i'll get electrocuted

or that i couldn't sleep with the window open or i'll get pneumoniah (sp??)

Does anyone else have any interesting "wives tales" from MENA land?

Edited by Rajaa_Reda

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
So I am snowed in with the kids at home and i was in the bathroom after a shower and remembered the time while in Morocco I was told to make sure there were no breezes in the bathroom after my shower or I'll get "wind slapped" (as i reached to turn on the vent)

another was not having slippers on while on the computer or i'll get electrocuted

I dont think that's an old wives tale! I think it has to do with the house not being grounded. In my grandmother's house in Puerto Rico, if I was barefoot and opened the refrigerator (metal handle), I got zapped! :wacko:

Wish-upon-a-star-1.jpg

2009-07-11 AOS packet mailed (and supposedly delivered the same day)

2009-07-15 NOA1 for I-485, I-131, I-765 (USCIS rec'd date is 07-12)

2009-08-05 Case transferred to CSC

2009-08-12 no biometrics yet.......called on 30 day mark to report no biometrics, a service inquiry has been made on the case.....

2009-08-25 - received Biometrics appointment letter!

2009-08-27 I-131 (AP) approved

2009-09-15 Biometrics appointment

2009-09-15 EAD Card production ordered!

2009-09-23 EAD Card received

2009-10-06 GC approved/card production ordered

2009-10-13 GC received in the mail!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Egypt
Timeline

When i was in Morocco, i'd go sit outside on the concrete. My mil would yell at kamal to get me up so i didn't get hemmoriods

07/21/11 filed AOS off tourist visa

07/28/11 USCIS cashed check

07/30/11 Recieved NOA1 and Biometrics letter

08/24/2011 Biometrics

08/25/2011 RFE sent to us for some info we've already sent in

08/30/2011 sent in the rest of info USCIS asked for

09/13/2011 went to congressman's office to sign papers for expedite of work permit, due to financial hardship

09/15/2011 Work permit expedite approved!! He can finally find a job!

09/24/2011 work permit arrives

09/26/2011 Apply for social security number!

09/30/2011 Letter is sent for interview

11/07/2011 INTERVIEW!!!

Its 2012 and still no approval! Still waiting

01/27/2012 Letter sent stating that file was sent on for more review :(

9iad5hjppr.png

Filed: Country: Morocco
Timeline

I dont think that's an old wives tale! I think it has to do with the house not being grounded. In my grandmother's house in Puerto Rico, if I was barefoot and opened the refrigerator (metal handle), I got zapped! :wacko:

I agree, that one's true! I knew better because my husband had already warned me, but I forgot and touched his monitor once with my bare feet on the tile and got a good zap @ 220V.

Of course, my bare feet should never have been on the tile to begin with because that will give me arthritis 20 years from now... :unsure:

Edited by caybee

I'm the USC.

11/05/2007........Conditional permanent residency effective date.

01/10/2008........Two-year green card in hand.

08/08/2009........Our son was born <3

08/08/2009........Filed for removal of conditions.

12/16/2009........ROC was approved.

11/05/2010........Eligible for Naturalization.

03/01/2011........Separated.

11/05/2012........Eligible for Naturalization.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

or a "cold in your feet"......wth is that anyway?? :P

Wish-upon-a-star-1.jpg

2009-07-11 AOS packet mailed (and supposedly delivered the same day)

2009-07-15 NOA1 for I-485, I-131, I-765 (USCIS rec'd date is 07-12)

2009-08-05 Case transferred to CSC

2009-08-12 no biometrics yet.......called on 30 day mark to report no biometrics, a service inquiry has been made on the case.....

2009-08-25 - received Biometrics appointment letter!

2009-08-27 I-131 (AP) approved

2009-09-15 Biometrics appointment

2009-09-15 EAD Card production ordered!

2009-09-23 EAD Card received

2009-10-06 GC approved/card production ordered

2009-10-13 GC received in the mail!

Filed: Country: Morocco
Timeline
or a "cold in your feet"......wth is that anyway?? :P

Not sure, but my husband has sure learned to love the A/C :D

Since he's been here, I walk around the apartment with bare feet and wet hair, and he says nothing. Wish it would snow here so I could step out barefoot in the snow and see if he's truly been assimilated. :devil:

I'm the USC.

11/05/2007........Conditional permanent residency effective date.

01/10/2008........Two-year green card in hand.

08/08/2009........Our son was born <3

08/08/2009........Filed for removal of conditions.

12/16/2009........ROC was approved.

11/05/2010........Eligible for Naturalization.

03/01/2011........Separated.

11/05/2012........Eligible for Naturalization.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

From the ex's family [they were sort of sweet when they weren't insanely crazy]:

Sleeping with socks on leads to blindness.

Sleeping with your stomach uncovered will cause diarrhea.

Evidently, you can do a lot of damage while sleeping...

Filed: Timeline

I had to stop and read the title over again...:P

I thought it said: MENA Old Wives...:lol: I thought...wow, first we have the 20 somethings and now, if I'm married I'm an old wife...plz stop my heart can't take anymore! :devil:

Well, I think I have tons of stories on wives tales....that going out w/ wet hair will make me sick so in that case if i have a headache, backache, stomach ache...my MIL will say,.."its because you went out with wet hair!" :lol: Or not covering your booty at night is another...causes nightmares! So many other crazy things that make me laugh and of course I still listen...

All I can say is her teabags on my pink eye last year worked like a charm! :dance:

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Netherlands
Timeline

I'm trying to remember some of the stuff my grandma used to tell us...

You're not supposed to do laundry on Thursdays.

Not supposed to cut your hair during your period.

A pair of open scissors or a knife/sword keeps away jinn.

Mixing fish and dairy products will make you sick.

If you're pregnant, your baby will turn out looking like the person you hate most.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline
I had to stop and read the title over again...:P

I thought it said: MENA Old Wives...:lol: I thought...wow, first we have the 20 somethings and now, if I'm married I'm an old wife...plz stop my heart can't take anymore! :devil:

Well, I think I have tons of stories on wives tales....that going out w/ wet hair will make me sick so in that case if i have a headache, backache, stomach ache...my MIL will say,.."its because you went out with wet hair!" :lol: Or not covering your booty at night is another...causes nightmares! So many other crazy things that make me laugh and of course I still listen...

All I can say is her teabags on my pink eye last year worked like a charm! :dance:

:rofl: yup thats us egyptian lol :whistle:

I'm trying to remember some of the stuff my grandma used to tell us...

You're not supposed to do laundry on Thursdays.

Not supposed to cut your hair during your period.

A pair of open scissors or a knife/sword keeps away jinn.

Mixing fish and dairy products will make you sick.

If you're pregnant, your baby will turn out looking like the person you hate most.

Yes heard those too lol; also dont dye ur hair during period!

lyrics.jpg

Filed: Country: Egypt
Timeline

It's been snowing here for the last week and I finally had to lay down the law and tell H he HAD to take a shower... I swear he's like my Celtic ancestors and thinks you can't bathe till spring if it's below freezing...

I'm giving him a tiny break because he's never even seen snow before last Sunday... and I'm going broke keeping the heat high so he won't shiver 24/7 but this is getting ridiculous!

He finally laid down the law on me (after I was sick for a week) and won't let me leave the house with wet hair anymore... So I guess I'll be blow drying till spring... (Like it matters when it's all covered and I'm going from the house to the garage, and then into the parking garage at work...)

He shakes his head when I drink cold beverages. He won't let me leave the toilet lid up (imagine a MAN after a WOMAN for leaving up the LID, I am SO lucky!)

It's amazing that I am even alive (in his mind) considering all the reckless things I do like sleeping with a fan on, even in winter if he'd let me, and sleeping with the covers off and not wearing 7 layers of clothing on my stomach when I go outside, so I won't get a "cold in my stomach"... (I keep telling him that is what FAT is for!!!) hehehehehehe

I know this isn't an old wives tale, but I am sick of hearing that I should "take something" every time I sneeze! No wonder there's a pharmacy on every corner in Egypt and not a vitamin in sight! :)

K

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.